No big rigs on Angeles Crest Highway ...

No big rigs on Angeles Crest Highway for 90 days

There are 25 comments on the LA Daily News story from Apr 3, 2009, titled No big rigs on Angeles Crest Highway for 90 days. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

Los Angeles County firefighters check out the driver of a semi driven by Marcos Costa after on April 1, 2009 in La Canada Flintridge.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
meg

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Apr 3, 2009
Caltrans should be held responsible as well. Seeing how Costa ignored weight restrictions, Caltrans had ignored the issue presented back in September 2008.
ExPate

Kula, HI

#2 Apr 3, 2009
Finally, someone got it right. Trucks and big rigs should never have been allowed through the canyon in the first place. I would also like to see a ban on the commuters from the Antelope Valley, too. It's turned a national forest into a freeway with all the attendant pollutants and trash, not to mention the noise for the canyon residents.
Concerned Parent

Honolulu, HI

#3 Apr 3, 2009
Caltrans should be held responsible, they dragged too many feet on this clear problem. They should have ban the trucks in sept 08 until they found a solution. I do not think all the blame should go to the driver, granted he ignored the signs, and that can very well happen again, even with the ban, but more than just that driver is to blame here. The guy from pasadena should be hung out to public lashings as well. What the heck is he thinking,this is a time to say lets move on... no sympathey for the family that lost 2 loved ones. what a jerk.

thoughts and prayers to the Posca family.
Richard

La Crescenta, CA

#4 Apr 3, 2009
Another illegal I'll bet!
Carl Holten

United States

#5 Apr 3, 2009
Doug Failing, as in "Failing to protect the public". If I had a close crash once already, and one that could have killed over 50 people at the Hill Street Grill on a Sunday morning, I would have immidiately prevented anymore accidents from occuring. This was a preventable accident that killed people, enabled by those in charge of our street safety.
As for the driver of the big rig, I don't want to go there. L.A. Times already did an excellent expose on how bad a majority of these Drivers and Trucks are, and like this incident no one will figure it out until the innocent people are counted. Why would they start to obey our laws and signs now when we have a history of turning a blind eye to the illegal and dangerous things going on today (Converted garages that kill, Illegal drivers, products sold in shopping carts, Trucks in poor condition with Drivers that don't care either). How about enforcing our laws effectively and harshly to protect the innocent law abidding citizen.
no responsibility

Burbank, CA

#6 Apr 3, 2009
Carl Holten wrote:
Doug Failing, as in "Failing to protect the public". If I had a close crash once already, and one that could have killed over 50 people at the Hill Street Grill on a Sunday morning, I would have immidiately prevented anymore accidents from occuring. This was a preventable accident that killed people, enabled by those in charge of our street safety.
As for the driver of the big rig, I don't want to go there. L.A. Times already did an excellent expose on how bad a majority of these Drivers and Trucks are, and like this incident no one will figure it out until the innocent people are counted. Why would they start to obey our laws and signs now when we have a history of turning a blind eye to the illegal and dangerous things going on today (Converted garages that kill, Illegal drivers, products sold in shopping carts, Trucks in poor condition with Drivers that don't care either). How about enforcing our laws effectively and harshly to protect the innocent law abidding citizen.
Because we have too many nanny laws. Let's not forget the Mexican trucks that will be rolling into the USA. As for the coverted garages, I'm not saying it's right but people can't afford housing as it is too expensive. Yet we pay very high taxes for nothing.
NoHoMoFo

United States

#7 Apr 3, 2009
Typical of our state govt. The problem isn't addressed until someone dies tragically.
Nedly Mandingo

Riverside, CA

#8 Apr 3, 2009
Hmmm what about all the people who use it as a shortcut to palmdale? Should they be banned as well?

Thousands of trucks drive the route everyday, one idiot has to ruin it for everyone.

People don't like trucks but without them nothing gets moved so cry all you want but expect higher delivery fees in those areas.

Had the guy driving his kid not been using a tricky shortcut then he would not have been there, remember that.
Nedly Mandingo

Riverside, CA

#9 Apr 3, 2009
CALTRANS did not drag there feet, the city refused to consider the runaway ramp near town, furthermore they were presented several locations on the straightaway and turned them down, the city is the reason caltrans closed the one there now.

Don't be fooled by a lying politician who got out first to push the blame please your an idiot to believe it caltrans has plenty of records to defend itself on this one you can count on it.

Finally the only one to blame is the driver for inexperience, carelessness, and ignoring the sign, he should have never been there ramps or no ramps this idiot would not have used it anyways if you think he would then ask yourself why was he driving that route why did he not inspect his vehicle before he got on the mountain, he could care less and treated the truck like a car. He was far from a professional.
Gail

AOL

#10 Apr 3, 2009
Cal Trans and the authorities always want to do something after the fact when someone gets killed, when all along they know that the area is not safe for big rigs and they let it happen anyway!
Put aside the red tape and make a straightaway now so it will safe for vehicles in that area to drive. Make the straightaway safe for the big rig truckers. They should do that now before more people get hurt or get killed.
CJH

West Hollywood, CA

#11 Apr 3, 2009
Who, in their right mind, would take arig like that on a road like that? Common sense should be a required class in high school. And of course everyone pretends there is no problem until someone gets hurt or killed.
Janice Anderson

United States

#12 Apr 3, 2009
A true lost, I've known quite a bit of the Posca family for many years. They are a close nit family.My heart feels their lost I Pray for peace while knowing our lord will hold them all close and we all have true angels glowing upon us. I hope (now) the city will post strong signs and driver's will abide.
To the posca family, God will keep you, For Sure.
Pompton

Orange, CA

#13 Apr 3, 2009
Are they still considering drilling a tunnel under the mountains? I have heard plans and talk about that, since the 70's. Please don't be a nimby!
Pompton

Orange, CA

#14 Apr 3, 2009
CJH wrote:
Who, in their right mind, would take arig like that on a road like that? Common sense should be a required class in high school. And of course everyone pretends there is no problem until someone gets hurt or killed.
Duh, GPS navigation systems. Not defending, the guy that ignored the the sings, but, GPS.
rdb68

Yuma, AZ

#15 Apr 3, 2009
...and once the media and the people outside of La Canada forget about this tragedy it will be business as usual; it's always the same ol' B.S. with people in this country-always wait until someone gets seriously injured or ends up getting killed before people show some sort of outrage, and I'm sure the outrage will be pointed at the driver instead of CalTrans. Such sad hypocrisy.
CJH

West Hollywood, CA

#16 Apr 3, 2009
rdb68 wrote:
...and once the media and the people outside of La Canada forget about this tragedy it will be business as usual; it's always the same ol' B.S. with people in this country-always wait until someone gets seriously injured or ends up getting killed before people show some sort of outrage, and I'm sure the outrage will be pointed at the driver instead of CalTrans. Such sad hypocrisy.
And three weeks from now, all will be forgotten. I see 10 people a day talking on their cell phones while driving. What makes us think they will enforce signs on Angeles Crest?
cornholeballer

Elk Grove, CA

#17 Apr 3, 2009
Caltrans, the benchmark of government efficiency! Or the bowels of PECGS
CJH

West Hollywood, CA

#18 Apr 3, 2009
cornholeballer wrote:
Caltrans, the benchmark of government efficiency! Or the bowels of PECGS
Union government sucking us dry, AGAIN!
Lorena Magallanes

United States

#19 Apr 3, 2009
We live in a world where people take life for granted. People think it won't happen to me. Until a tragedy slaps them in the face and still then in court they dare to plea not guilty like it was the innocent person that lost their life fault. See what happens when you want everything easy on some one elses expense. Too, many people live life not taking responsibility for their actions.
SandyCo

United States

#20 Apr 4, 2009
Once the driver was actually on The Crest, where was he supposed to turn around? Angeles Forest Hwy is no picnic, either; you'd think he would have realized he had no business being on that road and would have turned around and gone back to the 14 Fwy once he reached the intersection of Angeles Forest and Angeles Crest.

What was the city of La Canada thinking, anyway, to build a shopping center right there? It should have a giant bull's eye on it for just this kind of situation! And why did they refuse to have runaway sand pits on the straightaway? That's where Angeles Crest is the steepest, and I'm not surprised that the truck's brakes failed completely at that point.

Why do I have the feeling that nothing will come of this but a made-for-TV movie?:( This was a tragedy that came together because of two government agencies and a negligent driver:

1. Cal-Trans should have permanently banned big rigs on The Crest before now (but that might not have mattered, since the driver ignored the prohibition of trucks on Angeles Forest Hwy).

2. The City of La Canada should have reconsidered building a shopping center there, or perhaps put up huge barriers to stop such a tragedy from occurring.

3. The driver shouldn't have used a route he was unfamiliar with. GPS is great technology, but like anything else, it can be misused. Drivers need to be educated, or more mistakes will occur that cost lives.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crest Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll IS santee still a Racist Town? (Mar '08) 7 hr Marilyn 162
to many stinkyarabics in el cajon!! (Aug '09) 7 hr Marilyn 47
Men in pantyhose Aug 11 Bumper 1
News Viejas shooting victim identified as Alpine res... Jul 29 Ricky 2
News Low-income residents to receive free Christmas ... (Nov '06) Jul 29 Marty 252
el cajon hoodlums gang becoming a problem (Nov '07) Jul 21 Capone 507
Moving/rental storage with old wooden boxes? Jul 19 Anonymous 1

Crest Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Crest Mortgages