The evil they knew intimately

There are 20 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Oct 7, 2007, titled The evil they knew intimately. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

I watched the first segment of Ken Burns' "The War" after coming home from the movie "3:10 to Yuma." I watched the second installment between snatches of the Titans-Saints game.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Carter Wolf

Danville, IN

#2 Oct 8, 2007
Great editorial. It seems our only sacrifice is loaning our credit card.
Joe Smerdel

United States

#3 Oct 9, 2007
I understand that this is another wonderful piece of documentary television produced by Mr. Burns. I have not seen it and would like to; but I fully expect even the studious Mr. Burns to overlook the evils that the allegedly wholesome Allies committed - will it be pointed out that vaporizing civilians to coerce them to surrender a war is an act of terrorism? Will Dresden be more than a passing footnote in the documentary? Will it be pointed out that the best defense for Nazis at Nuremburg was to show where members of the Allies had done similar actions (note that aerial bombardment of civilians was not among the charges levied against the Nazis because the "good guys" had done the same thing)? I highly doubt it - Mr. Burns' reputation precedes him, and he has well earned it; but I do not expect anything about American history from an American except a conveniently cleansed version of what really happened.
Earn It

Carmel, IN

#4 Oct 9, 2007
Joe Smerdel wrote:
I understand that this is another wonderful piece of documentary television produced by Mr. Burns. I have not seen it and would like to; but I fully expect even the studious Mr. Burns to overlook the evils that the allegedly wholesome Allies committed - will it be pointed out that vaporizing civilians to coerce them to surrender a war is an act of terrorism? Will Dresden be more than a passing footnote in the documentary? Will it be pointed out that the best defense for Nazis at Nuremburg was to show where members of the Allies had done similar actions (note that aerial bombardment of civilians was not among the charges levied against the Nazis because the "good guys" had done the same thing)? I highly doubt it - Mr. Burns' reputation precedes him, and he has well earned it; but I do not expect anything about American history from an American except a conveniently cleansed version of what really happened.
If you are displeased with America's defense of the nation and its citizens you are welcome to leave. We promise we will even hold the door for you on the way out least it strike you in the rear.

“De Oppresso Liber”

Since: Sep 07

Henderson, KY

#5 Oct 9, 2007
Joe Smerdel wrote:
You do realize that war is bad, right? It should be avoided for all the reasons you point out. What exactly is your point? That it is ugly, dirty business? Perhaps you are under the impression that it can be fought cleanly, and with rules, or with some sort of Napoleanic chivalry. Again...what is your point that we weren't already aware of?
Scan

Culver City, CA

#6 Oct 9, 2007
Joe Smerdel wrote:
Well...perhaps you should have watched it before opening your trap.

“De Oppresso Liber”

Henderson, KY

#7 Oct 9, 2007
Gary Moody -- Franklin wrote:
Great column, Dan. Kudos.
If only today's politicians were better able to absorb the lessons taught to us by the Greatest Generation...
The Greatest Generation. You mean the one that brought us the cold war, oil dependance, consumerism, the toppling of the Iranian government in 1953, the Bay of Pigs, Vietnam, etc., etc.? That generation? They taught us about war alright.
lastrep

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Oct 9, 2007
Gary Moody -- Franklin wrote:
Great column, Dan. Kudos.
If only today's politicians were better able to absorb the lessons taught to us by the Greatest Generation...
Yeah, they didn't run.
cathy

Leesburg, FL

#9 Oct 9, 2007
lastrep wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, they didn't run.
Cluster B Personality Disorders

1776.0 Americanistic Personality Disorder

The essential features of Americanistic Personality Disorder include pervasive patterns of extreme self-absorption, profound and long-term lapses in empathy, a deep disregard for the well-being of others, a powerful aversion to intellectual honesty and reality, and a grossly exaggerated sense of the importance of one’s self and one’s nation. These patterns emerge in infancy, manifest themselves in nearly all contexts, and often become pathological. This sounds like the Bush team, and followers
Lester Hunt

New Palestine, IN

#11 Oct 9, 2007
Joe Smerdel wrote:
He deals with Hiroshima and other American atrocities, head-on. He's not a jingo like these posters.

“De Oppresso Liber”

Henderson, KY

#12 Oct 10, 2007
cathy wrote:
<quoted text>Cluster B Personality Disorders
The essential features of Americanistic Personality Disorder include pervasive patterns of extreme self-absorption, profound and long-term lapses in empathy, a deep disregard for the well-being of others, a powerful aversion to intellectual honesty and reality, and a grossly exaggerated sense of the importance of one’s self and one’s nation. These patterns emerge in infancy, manifest themselves in nearly all contexts, and often become pathological. This sounds like the Bush team, and followers
LOL! Excellent.
Scan

United States

#13 Oct 10, 2007
cathy wrote:
<quoted text>Cluster B Personality Disorders
So you are saying Clinton doesn't suffer from any Personality Disorders???
There's nothing in there about cigar insertion???
Oh...that's right...that's a pacifying trait isn't it!
While he was pacifying himself there were a few dudes learning how to fly airplanes into buildings down in Florida!
lastrep

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Oct 10, 2007
Detonador7 wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! Excellent.
But first you must have a personality.

“De Oppresso Liber”

Henderson, KY

#15 Oct 10, 2007
lastrep wrote:
<quoted text>
But first you must have a personality.
That's for sure! You probably have to be able to pronounce simple English words too.

“De Oppresso Liber”

Henderson, KY

#16 Oct 10, 2007
Scan wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are saying Clinton doesn't suffer from any Personality Disorders???
There's nothing in there about cigar insertion???
Oh...that's right...that's a pacifying trait isn't it!
While he was pacifying himself there were a few dudes learning how to fly airplanes into buildings down in Florida!
Actually, I beleive this personality trait applies to most Americans...

“English, please?”

Since: May 07

London (not that one)

#17 Oct 10, 2007
Would I be right in assuming that most people here are younger than 30?

And that they are responsible for most of the "America stinks" posts?

Since: Dec 06

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Oct 10, 2007
Watch out Dan, such respectful words for a bunch of warmongers will get you kicked of the Marxists For Peace Club. You need to review your talking points and retrograde them to Roosevelt's war.

1. We never examined the root cause of the attack on Pearl Harbor. What did we do to provoke them?

2. Roosevelt was either incompetent in preventing 12-7 or complicit in allowing it to happen, to drag the country in to war.

3. Germany never attacked us! Diverting forces to Europe only diminished our ability to fight our only legitimate war in the Pacific.

4. Normandy was a quagmire. We should have pulled out after the first day.

5. By keeping our forces in Germany and Japan, we are only creating more enemies. End the occupation now.

Come on Dan, at least be consistant.

“De Oppresso Liber”

Henderson, KY

#19 Oct 10, 2007
AnnaLynn wrote:
Would I be right in assuming that most people here are younger than 30?
And that they are responsible for most of the "America stinks" posts?
Nope. Who said America stinks?

“English, please?”

London (not that one)

#20 Oct 10, 2007
Joe Smerdel wrote:
Joe--he's trying to cover the WHOLE war, all theaters and at home. I know YOU want him to focus in on your favorite parts, but others will do and have done that. Give us a break, the DVD is 900 hours long already!

For REAL research, read a book. Movies and documentaries are only appetizers on the buffet table of history.

“English, please?”

London (not that one)

#21 Oct 10, 2007
Detonador7 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Who said America stinks?
You, for one.

The Greatest Generation did it's best. Yours will likely not do as well, nor will mine.
lastrep

Indianapolis, IN

#22 Oct 10, 2007
SJHawk42 wrote:
Watch out Dan, such respectful words for a bunch of warmongers will get you kicked of the Marxists For Peace Club. You need to review your talking points and retrograde them to Roosevelt's war.
1. We never examined the root cause of the attack on Pearl Harbor. What did we do to provoke them?
2. Roosevelt was either incompetent in preventing 12-7 or complicit in allowing it to happen, to drag the country in to war.
3. Germany never attacked us! Diverting forces to Europe only diminished our ability to fight our only legitimate war in the Pacific.
4. Normandy was a quagmire. We should have pulled out after the first day.
5. By keeping our forces in Germany and Japan, we are only creating more enemies. End the occupation now.
Come on Dan, at least be consistant.
Excellent.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crawfordsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
forum restaurant (Aug '13) Apr 27 concerned citizen 9
yamato in crawfordsville now hiring (Feb '14) Apr 27 concerned citzen 3
Fireworks (Jun '14) Apr 27 The Fuze 6
mushrooms Apr 7 cantwait 1
News Ladoga Academy wants to meet neighbors (Jul '08) Apr 4 amber 137
indiana childrens christian home (Aug '09) Apr '15 Paul 18
Indiana Children's Christian Home (Jun '12) Mar '15 Paul 4
More from around the web

Crawfordsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE