Teen loses breast to rare infection

Teen loses breast to rare infection

There are 42 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Oct 27, 2006, titled Teen loses breast to rare infection. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

A teenager who decided to get her breasts pierced for her 18th birthday faces reconstructive surgery after a flesh-destroying infection forced doctors to remove her left breast.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Lisa

United States

#1 Oct 27, 2006
Having breasts pierced - Stupid
Being diabetic and having procedure done - Stupid
Being diabetic and letting an infection go more than a month - Stupid
Worrying about your future without a your breast - Stupid
Suggestion, thank God your alive, make smarter decisions in the future and find another hobby
Sam

Menomonee Falls, WI

#2 Oct 27, 2006
I wonder if the teen wants the newspaper to print this about her. Did you think she may want to protect her privacy? Typical arrogance of reporters and newspapers
Rebecca

Carmel, IN

#3 Oct 27, 2006
Gosh, I never did anything stupid when I was 18, did you Lisa? Wish I had you around then so I could have had your sage advice. And by the way, you are as a contraction is you're, not your.
Circle City Slicker

Bridgeport, WV

#4 Oct 27, 2006
Breast Piercing -$25.00

Antibiotics for Infection -$500.00

Surgergy to remove breast and infected tissue -$50,000.00

Getting to leave the hospital alive - PRICELESS!!!!!!!!
Rose

Mountville, PA

#5 Oct 27, 2006
People are too cavalier about piercing their bodies. Grow up and have a little self respect. Pierced nips aren't going to get it for you.
Holly

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Oct 27, 2006
"You have no idea what it's like to almost lose your daughter and then to make the decision to have one of her breasts removed," she said. "Some people say 'It's just a breast.' They aren't an 18-year old girl. It's devastating for her and for the family."

Wow.
1. She's still alive, isn't she?
2. It's no one's fault but her own.
3. Devastating for the family? What? Has she lost market value now or something?
NW side Resident

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Oct 27, 2006
My only thought on this is why did it take her almost a month and a half to get help with the infection???

It had to hurt and have drainage for all that time... how could she have let it continue without having it looked it???
Tim

AOL

#8 Oct 27, 2006
The parent ought to be arrested for allowing her kid to have this done.

Talk about child abuse.

What a nut!
jacquelyn

Troy, MI

#9 Oct 27, 2006
I personally have mine pierces as well. It sounds like she should have talked to her Dr. beforehand. I have spoken to my Dr. before every piercing I had done. Each time he assured me that though there were the normal risks associated with any foreign object going into the skin; that no condition should make it worse than the usual symptoms.
As a diabetic, she should have spoken to SOMEONE about this.
I agree, it was stupid of her knowing her condition. It's just a breast. You can buy new ones. They can make them perfect, and while this may sound harsh...I don't pity her.
She made a rash decision to "fit in" or "be cool". Instead, her business is all over the news (I do feel bad about that...how embarassing) and her mom acts like she's had some horrible loss because she lost a breast? Yes, you almost lost your daughter and that's scary...but you CANNOT tell me that you didn't see something wrong with her breast for over a month? If not you, then she didn't notice? That's a lie. This stuff dosen't happen overnight. C'mon people. Get educated. Call me callous, but seriously; there's no way that she did not notice something going wrong. I would be willing to be one of MY breasts that she was scared to tell someone because they probably didn't know she got it pierced in the first place. Because if her mom DID KNOW, and she knew of her diabetes--she would have said no.
Michele

Waukegan, IL

#10 Oct 27, 2006
This girl was 18, knew the risk especially having diabetes, this was her choice and not the parents she is legally an adult. It was not a good choice but hers to make. Definitely not child abuse.
Jason from Fishers

Florence, KY

#11 Oct 27, 2006
Tim wrote:
The parent ought to be arrested for allowing her kid to have this done.
Talk about child abuse.
What a nut!
She was 18, parents don't have to give their kids permission to get piercings or a tattoo if they are 18.
Joe

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Oct 27, 2006
Concerned Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Sam..No disrespect... but under Indiana State Law.... they can't publish her name or story with out her or her parent's permission... so i beleive that they wanted in the media...
Plus, you don't give interviews if you're trying to maintain privacy in something like this. I'm sure if they agreed to give an interview, they knew her name would be in the article as well.

Then again, they don't seem to have the most common sense, do they?
Indy mama of 2 girls

United States

#15 Oct 27, 2006
As a tattooed and pierced mother, I cannot say that I would ever dissuade my daughters from celebrating life with body art. I would like to think that my girls will be prepared to accept responsibility for their bodies and would notice and seek help when there is something wrong...
Necrotizing faciitis??? Wow. Stephanie, honey, you could be dead. Pamela, you could be without the light of your life. Its amazing that a seemingly harmless decision can change your lives forever. You both should thank your higher power of choice that Stephanie will be around to see 19 years of age. Be sure to give one another a special hug tonight and say "I love you."
Will

United States

#17 Oct 27, 2006
Stephanie, I am so sorry to hear of your unfortunate circumstance. There really are worse problems in this world though. I am sure you and your family will get through this.

As for those who wish to blame and imply self perfection- There is no blame to be placed on any person. Three known cases in the world indicates this is a freak occurrence. The same infection could have resulted from an animal scratch, abraded skin or from an unknown source.

The infection did not necessarily start the day the piercing was performed. As stated in the article this condition results from "rapid bacteria growth". This is not a common type of infection, the time in which it became apparent likely surprised all involved.
Ouch

South Bend, IN

#18 Oct 27, 2006
Given all the things kids get pierced these days, I say the girl was lucky it was where it was.
Tank

United States

#22 Oct 27, 2006
Sometimes we just need to ask ourselves when modifying our bodies, "what will it look like in 20 years?". I've seen tatoos and piercings in places that you just gotta ask.."WHAT THE H... WERE YOU THINKING?"

I do hope that this girl recovers physically and emotionally from what she did and the bad result.
John-san

Erlanger, KY

#23 Oct 27, 2006
I feel so bad for this girl..I am sure that she was never thinking this could happen..When you are 18 all you think about is being cool...Poor thing..I wish her well.
Unsympathetic Reader

Redford, MI

#24 Oct 27, 2006
I can't say that I feel too terribly sorry for Stephanie. Getting your breasts pierced isn't exactly the most scholarly of decisions. In fact, it's down right stupid. What is even more stupid, however, is granting an interview to the media and saying something to the effect of, "I'm worried about what other people will think of me."
Well, Stephanie, would all of the literate world KNOW that you were a "uni-boober" had you NOT given an interview to the media?!?

That's one smart cookie right there...yes siree....
Lovely

United States

#25 Oct 27, 2006
Good luck to this young lady . Very brave of her to let the media cover this story to make the public aware . Many may be walking around with diabetes and not even know it .would we judge that person for having a piercing and getting an infection .Maybe it will help some other young person think . Again good luck , and God Bless.
Martinsville White Trash

United States

#26 Oct 27, 2006
One Nipple...Two Teeth...Welcome Home.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crawfordsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where did all the Blacks come from? Sep 20 Candy 4
News Insanity defense planned for Crawfordsville mom... Sep 11 Willy 1
Mark Gann (Jul '15) Sep 3 One who knows 4
crawfordsville notell motel Sep 1 nasty butt 1
News Crawfordsville clock tower may be making comeba... Aug '17 Rip Chen Picket 1
Misty Butler Aug '17 Uncle Jimfrank 1
indiana childrens christian home (Aug '09) Jun '17 liningm 55

Crawfordsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Crawfordsville Mortgages