Ladoga Acedemy is closing down.

Posted in the Crawfordsville Forum

ex employee

New Ross, IN

#1 Apr 3, 2009
Ladoga Acedemy was poorly operated. They tried to run a treatment facility with kids straight out of the ghetto. They didnt pay thier employees enough to deal with all the crap these kids would do. With a high employee turnover rate Ladoga could not provide a safe enviroment for these children and thier staff. Thank god this building is shutting down!
samantha s

Dyer, IN

#2 Sep 28, 2009
ex employee wrote:
Ladoga Acedemy was poorly operated. They tried to run a treatment facility with kids straight out of the ghetto. They didnt pay thier employees enough to deal with all the crap these kids would do. With a high employee turnover rate Ladoga could not provide a safe enviroment for these children and thier staff. Thank god this building is shutting down!
welll i was at ladoga and im ot ''ghetto'' at all
samantha s

Dyer, IN

#3 Sep 28, 2009
i was at ladoga academy and im not "GHETTO" at all
samantha s

Dyer, IN

#4 Sep 28, 2009
ex employee who are u??
Ex-student

Bremerton, WA

#5 Oct 13, 2009
ex employee wrote:
Not only was it poorly operated, it was a terrible concept to begin with. The people running the place tried to combine "therapy" (which was a joke) with military discipline. When I was there, since I had admitted to trying alcohol (I could have counted the number of times on one hand, at that point), I was put into Alcoholics Anonymous, and told that I could not say the word "only," because this was "minimizing my behavior." Graduating from this group treatment was one of the conditions of me leaving.
All of the "therapists" on staff were poorly educated graduate students with a cookie-cutter mentality about the children they were working with (I wasn't "ghetto" either, so they were completely clueless as to what to do with me).
The staff members were, for the most part, either ex-military or reservists, with little to no training on how to deal with an "escalating" teenage girl.(Hint: Push-ups will not make me a more productive citizen). I absolutely agree that they were also under-paid and under-trained, not to mention under-equipped.
There were only two types of people who worked there (and, indeed, at ANY juvenile facility); People who genuinely wanted to help troubled children, and people who were on a power-trip. Sadly, there were not enough of the former, and most of them quit within a matter of months.
The last I had heard when I left Ladoga was that all the girls from my county were being pulled out and placed somewhere else, since the brochures/program directors/whoever had lied about what was being offered at the facility (They still do... Look up their website). I am shocked to see that it lasted this long (but not in the least surprised to see that there was a riot there two years ago). Goodbye, Ladoga, and good riddance!
ex employee

Greencastle, IN

#6 Oct 13, 2009
Well said,
Ex-student wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only was it poorly operated, it was a terrible concept to begin with. The people running the place tried to combine "therapy" (which was a joke) with military discipline. When I was there, since I had admitted to trying alcohol (I could have counted the number of times on one hand, at that point), I was put into Alcoholics Anonymous, and told that I could not say the word "only," because this was "minimizing my behavior." Graduating from this group treatment was one of the conditions of me leaving.
All of the "therapists" on staff were poorly educated graduate students with a cookie-cutter mentality about the children they were working with (I wasn't "ghetto" either, so they were completely clueless as to what to do with me).
The staff members were, for the most part, either ex-military or reservists, with little to no training on how to deal with an "escalating" teenage girl.(Hint: Push-ups will not make me a more productive citizen). I absolutely agree that they were also under-paid and under-trained, not to mention under-equipped.
There were only two types of people who worked there (and, indeed, at ANY juvenile facility); People who genuinely wanted to help troubled children, and people who were on a power-trip. Sadly, there were not enough of the former, and most of them quit within a matter of months.
The last I had heard when I left Ladoga was that all the girls from my county were being pulled out and placed somewhere else, since the brochures/program directors/whoever had lied about what was being offered at the facility (They still do... Look up their website). I am shocked to see that it lasted this long (but not in the least surprised to see that there was a riot there two years ago). Goodbye, Ladoga, and good riddance!
Tia grader

Fort Wayne, IN

#7 Mar 26, 2010
This was a horrable place. I was a staff member and I remember one time I had told these 2 girls to stop talking and sit in there seats one girl named Carissa Haney and her friend Courtney Estes had jumped on me and gave me a black and blue Eye and pulled my hair out. They only did it because Im black. I know it. I know that the facility was managed poorley but they where the 2 most violent teenage girls ever. The one had alot of anger toward the facility for being molested there and no charges being filed. I agree with her on that. It was all on video and Carissa couldent do anyhting about it because she was under 18.
ashley hancock

Urbana, OH

#8 Apr 27, 2010
thank god its closed. nothing more needs to be said about it either. i just wish it would have been closed down a long time ago so that way no girl that has been through the awful abuse over the past 7-8 years wouldnt be enduring the pain an awfulness of the times they spent in ladoga. i know for myself i still have nightmares about it as well as the back an wrist problems i still endure from being extremely mistreated from the staff. but thank god the hell hole is closed an no other female has to go through what many of young girls like my self went through.
lookin out for the kids

Indianapolis, IN

#9 May 5, 2010
ashley hancock wrote:
thank god its closed. nothing more needs to be said about it either. i just wish it would have been closed down a long time ago so that way no girl that has been through the awful abuse over the past 7-8 years wouldnt be enduring the pain an awfulness of the times they spent in ladoga. i know for myself i still have nightmares about it as well as the back an wrist problems i still endure from being extremely mistreated from the staff. but thank god the hell hole is closed an no other female has to go through what many of young girls like my self went through.
It is back open but with boys this time and with the same shit heads of a staff.. I feel for any one that was there or going there I hear the staff say thigs and they should be in jail for what they did to the kids..
Before the academy

Paris, IL

#10 Jan 10, 2012
I was there before the academy when it was icch, Indiana children's Christian home in 90's it blower then and I'm sure it blower when they changed it to that stupid academy. Icch was way harder than that weak ass academy.End of story.
Leah

Louisville, KY

#12 Dec 19, 2012
I was there for the riot, but was not part of it. I can't find their website, is it really shut down?? I know it was a horible place most girls walking around there had carpet burns on their faces. Then my case manager Ms. Welch tried making me do the group Chemical Dependacy twice, which was only a one month course to keep me there longer....My judge declined and I went home.
Tyron mitchell

Bensenville, IL

#13 Jul 1, 2013
Well this is so ironic I ran across this section.... I was a resident of then ICCH in 1988-89 and I remember staffs such as Red and Ms Newell and Stephanie. It was I think a lot calmer then. It took some time to adjust to the place. I just remember the kids they brought in or who were there before me like Shane and Patrick and clarrisa and Enos Moffit.... But what I remember most was Dawn Manny and my graduation and how some of the staff really did cared. I traveled back there from time to time but that part of my life was a good turning point....
adam malone

Gary, IN

#14 Sep 5, 2014
ex employee wrote:
my name is Adam Malone .true I was strait out of the getto and I gave staff hell every chance I got .to talk bad about icch would be wrong of me .my future before going to icch was set I would prolly spend the rest of my life in prison. They changed that they showed me another way.that place help a lot of kids maybe not all but no program is perfect.thanks Mr king

“Deport them all deport Now”

Since: Aug 13

The Woods

#15 Sep 30, 2014
No, No say it's not so.
adam malone

United States

#16 Sunday Nov 23
squeezers wrote:
No, No say it's not so.
yep its so
adam malone

United States

#17 Sunday Nov 23
I keep coming back to this site rereading the exemployees comment and it makes me sad and be honest pisses me off just a little.if anyone on here remembers me then you know the trouble in stayed in .I mean for a while there I was getting restrained at least once a week for things I brought on myself.I never had a home visit that wasnt cut short because I had gotten into fist fights and days where taken away.I was in the middle of everything bad that went on in our unit. Yet threw all the bad stuff the staff and that place still reached me .I would never have finished high school that place help me get my GED thanks Mr hicks.it kills me to read ur comments ex employee when that place reached me and I was so lost
adam malone

United States

#18 Sunday Nov 23
adam malone wrote:
I keep coming back to this site rereading the exemployees comment and it makes me sad and be honest pisses me off just a little.if anyone on here remembers me then you know the trouble in stayed in .I mean for a while there I was getting restrained at least once a week for things I brought on myself.I never had a home visit that wasnt cut short because I had gotten into fist fights and days where taken away.I was in the middle of everything bad that went on in our unit. Yet threw all the bad stuff the staff and that place still reached me .I would never have finished high school that place help me get my GED thanks Mr hicks.it kills me to read ur comments ex employee when that place reached me and I was so lost
I have to say for a kid that was from Gary had anger and violence problems ,having no respect for authority or caring about conquences for my action s I turned out pretty Damn good .I owe it all to that place and the staff.so from the bottom of heart I wanna say thank you.

Since: Nov 14

Kokomo, IN

#19 Sunday Nov 23
adam malone wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to say for a kid that was from Gary had anger and violence problems ,having no respect for authority or caring about conquences for my action s I turned out pretty Damn good .I owe it all to that place and the staff.so from the bottom of heart I wanna say thank you.
Yea some of these ppl are clearly exaggerating shit..it wasnt that bad at all.and if it was for u than u brought it on yourself!!
Tiara Devaughn

United States

#20 Sunday Dec 7
I was there and i couldn't stand Mr. Mathenie he was a skept ass case manager and took advantage of his authority It was not all that bad some of the staff was nice ill never for get mr.louis brown known as l.brown he was coo and made life easy being in there the English teacher Was sweet the riots Where of the chane but the some of the staff deserve it and the good staff just got the end of the stick and that's messed up but that's just how things went the art lady was sweet I remember when they did that ciara oh dance and she did a good job setting it up the food was good as hell but it was all that bad but all how they tryna make it seem and Courtney estest was crazy I agree but she wouldn't had did it to a resident Cause she knew better
Darrell

Terre Haute, IN

#21 Thursday Dec 11
I was there from 94-96 got my GED . thanks Mr hicks. I remember almost everyone . Mr Newman ,king,reminder,Huddleson,marco m , ect. But as I look back all the fights yelling screaming and everything bad, what I remember most is straight ballin on anyone and everyone who was there or came there. True statement!!! I was the greatest baller to go through ICCH. PERIOD!!!! I was in Jordan house!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crawfordsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
rehab center Dec 14 NoWay 2
Wreck just west of Crawfordville on I-74 nov29th Dec 11 squeezers 4
indiana childrens christian home (Aug '09) Nov 23 adam malone 14
Tired of BS? (Apr '14) Nov 23 squeezers 2
Fredrick R. "Fred" Hitch, New Palestine (Aug '11) Oct '14 Judith Hitch Boots 2
Ebola Land Oct '14 squeezers 1
Rail group to raise funds for business plan and... Oct '14 Irrelevant 5
Crawfordsville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web