Custody case stirs gay-marriage debate

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

Brett Conrad spent more than half his life as Patrick Atkins' partner. For 25 years, the men shared bank accounts, apartments and eventually a home in Fishers.
Comments
1 - 20 of 1,273 Comments Last updated Mar 2, 2009
First Prev
of 64
Next Last
Suzy

Monticello, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2007

Wow.. there's some stand up parents!! NOT!
The Truth

Blue Island, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2007

this is exactly why the government should not be involved with marriage. for all those anti gay marriage people, all i can say is you all are the worst type of people on the face of the earth. who's marriage is it anyway? and those parents of Patrick ought to be severely ashamed of themselves. that mother saying saying what she did abouyt her son's recovery, i hope she realizes how un-loving that statement really is. those to parents should have never have been allowed to reproduce. what a sad story.
jay

Carmel, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2007

I'll never eat another atkins cheesecake. I don't want any of my money going to Jeanne and her husband. Another example a f-ed up family values.
SouthernIN

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2007

What a travesty! Even if a will is in place blood relatives can challenge the will in court and depending on the Judge's mindset they might just get the estate! EVERYONE should set up a power of attorney document regardless of their sexual orientation/marital status and review it every year to make sure it still specifies the person(s) of their choice.
The Atkins' should be ashamed of themselves!
Aaron

Ellettsville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2007

People believe that scripture upholds their own prejudices and dislikes, and there's so many contradicting passages in most holy texts to support almost any position on any topic. It is sad to see this played out in families. It should be a rite of passage for a couple of any stripe to set up powers of attorney, living wills and wills, to reinforce their preferences. I know many people for whom being put back in their parents' care would be devastating for various reasons. This law simply fails to take account of the decisions made by adults over a lifetime. Perhaps it is time to institute a "common law" marriage in Indiana that is open to all adult couples and that supercedes parental guardianship.
Robert Mullett

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2007

As all of you "Christians" are fond of saying, "What would Jesus do?" The people involved are still loving human beings whatever their sexual orientations.
No Duh

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2007

I also will never purchase anymore Atkins products, Jay, and I will write a letter to the company telling them why.

It's too bad that these parents care more about being right than they do about their son's happiness. He must be miserable, deprived of the partner with whom he chose to spend his life. I wonder how Mrs. Atkins would feel if she were in a similar situation and she was forbidden to see her husband. The Atkins parents show themselves to be un-loving, un-Christian, and cold-hearted.
truth hurts

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2007

Someone has to be the adult here. I'm glad to see that they have the fortitude to stick with what's right rather than what's popular.
why

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2007

Why deny a sick man his pleasure of a great friend. This may help Patrick emotionally. These are MEAN,HEARTLESS people. I'm straight,but I have a heart.
why

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2007

Does GOD really like the Atkins??? I think not. If they are good religious people, I don't want to know them.
Reality Check

Peoria, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2007

These parents are a mockery to the word "Parents". A parent is supposed to have their children's best interest at heart. While not provable, it is highly likely that Mr. Atkins is recovering so slowly due to his lack of ability to recieve comfort and encouragement from his life partner. This mother is cruel and inhuman. I hope her son recovers soon and is able to cut her out of his life. Her son is not a whore who hops from bed to bed, but a man in a loving and comitted relationship. After 25 years, how dare this woman treat her son as an errant child!!
As a straight woman with 3 grown children and one nearly grown, I can honestly say that I have tried to respect my children's lifestyle choices. This is because this is THEIR life, not mine!
why

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2007

These are not good religious people. Denying Patrick the friendship that has sustained him all these yrears.
TIME TO PAY THE REAPER

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2007

Aaron wrote:
People believe that scripture upholds their own prejudices and dislikes, and there's so many contradicting passages in most holy texts to support almost any position on any topic. It is sad to see this played out in families. It should be a rite of passage for a couple of any stripe to set up powers of attorney, living wills and wills, to reinforce their preferences. I know many people for whom being put back in their parents' care would be devastating for various reasons. This law simply fails to take account of the decisions made by adults over a lifetime. Perhaps it is time to institute a "common law" marriage in Indiana that is open to all adult couples and that supercedes parental guardianship.
I agree with you 100%. This case here is probably going to be the one they need to get the law changed. And the remark that his mother made about not wanting him to get well if he is going back to his lifestyle. She should be made to stay away from him completely .
She just might do something to him to prevent him from getting well.
I not a gay person myself, but they should have rites here in Indiana. Our laws in this state sucks. Not only on this subject, but a lot of different thing. That's why I say get rid of anyone that is in office now come election time.
Reality Check

Peoria, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2007

truth hurts wrote:
Someone has to be the adult here. I'm glad to see that they have the fortitude to stick with what's right rather than what's popular.
Somehow your righteous indignation over the fact that the couple in question happen to be gay is revolting to me. With any luck you will be forced to live apart from your spouse and made to suffer so that you can feel their pain. I believe in a loving God. The vengeful God of the old testament no longer uses pain and suffering to punish his children. With the coming of Christ all trials and tribulations were ceased. By grace we are given a life after this one. The only spirit at work here is Satan, and you seem to be gleefully supportive of those actions. Jerk.
Greenwood Mommy

Florence, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2007

truth hurts wrote:
What does "being an adult" have to do with denying your child his or her life partner. They are doing exactly the opposite of what their child would wish and I might add that their child IS AN ADULT! I am straight but have a gay daughter and would NEVER treat her significant other like that. Just say NO to Atkins Cheesecake!! This is a disgrace!
Not PC in Indy

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2007

There is a thing called "Power of Attorney" and "Durable Power of Attorney" that should have been completed by the men as it should by any couple, married or not. These two little documents would have prevented this problem in the first place. A "marriage" woudl not necessarily have solved this problem as evidenced by other court cases where these documents were not completed.
Of course she did

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2007

Of course the mother now takes the position she never said if her son was going to recover and go back to his life partner, she'd rather him never recover.

Seems like the court of appeals looked at the evidence and concluded she DID say it.

How sad.
read the opinion yourself

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2007

If you want the facts, read the opinion yourself. What a travesty.

http://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions/pdf/0627...
DandTs mom

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2007

You know, I am not even gay and this pisses me off! Poor guy would probably recover faster if he had his partner there to motivate him! I too will never eat Atkins cheesecake!
joining the boycott

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2007

This is unchristian. I am joining the boycott of Atkins cheesecakes...I will never buy one again. That mother is an uncaring ignorant s.o.b.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 64
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Crawfordsville Discussions

Search the Crawfordsville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Jennifer Wojciehowski Jul 21 Hoosier 5
Job in area Jul 12 needinajob 1
Fireworks Jul 9 squeezers 4
IN Who do you support for Treasurer in Indiana in ... (Oct '10) Jun 29 Lord Hater 92
IN IN Property Tax Cap Amendment, Public Question 1 (Oct '10) Jun 27 Go Blue Forever 1,302
Forum sucks....period (Dec '11) Jun '14 The Fuze 18
Eric Cantor Jun '14 Lisa 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Crawfordsville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Crawfordsville People Search