Cheerleaders use physics to master moves

Cheerleaders use physics to master moves

There are 7 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jul 23, 2007, titled Cheerleaders use physics to master moves. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Seven young girls sat inside a Purdue University meeting room on a sunny afternoon, fixing their eyes on an airplane diagram that aviation technology graduate student Tim Harbeck had drawn on the white board.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Wrong statistics

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Jul 23, 2007
The article states, "At Purdue, undergraduate women make up 12 percent of the College of Technology, and graduate women make up 24 percent. Nationwide, about 29 percent of math and computer sciences and 20 percent of engineering degrees went to undergraduate women in 2004, the most recent year statistics were available from the National Science Foundation." These statistics are not really relevant to the article -- what we need to know is how many of such women were cheerleaders! Probably less than 1%, both at Purdue and nationwide.
Ann

Kansas City, MO

#3 Jul 23, 2007
Wasn't there a related article a few weeks ago? Is it possible to still have access to it or have it sent to me?

Thank you
Babs

Elwood, IN

#4 Jul 23, 2007
Like, they sound so smart, ya know?
Aunt Sue

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Jul 23, 2007
The guy in the picture is pretty darn cute
Mike Fitzgerald

Alexandria, IN

#6 Jul 25, 2007
Personally, I believe this sounds like a positive program to support kids in learning about career and college opportunities. I believe that Christi Jacobs is providing some great leadership in that females are often underrepresented in career opportunities related to Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.
Kara Harris

Newark, OH

#7 Jul 25, 2007
I believe that all efforts to help increase the number of individuals participating in engineering and technology in the United States should be applauded. The publication,Rising Against the Gathering Storm is a perfect example of just how critical recriutment efforts are in these areas. It is obvious that many traditional means of recruitment have been less than successful in the past...I think finding new and innovative ways of recruiting individuals into technology and engineering is desparately needed. Great job Ms. Jacobs!
Indy Girl

Morenci, MI

#8 Jul 26, 2007
Agreed.
Aunt Sue wrote:
The guy in the picture is pretty darn cute

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crawfordsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Skinning Dipping (Feb '16) Dec 31 Now_What- 8
Todd and Julie Randles. Con artists of decade Dec 27 Now_What- 3
News Montgomery Co. adding tactical paramedics to SW... Dec 23 Red Cloud 1
News Indiana's high court hears Mexican man's lost w... Dec '16 Rakon 2
News Crews battle fire at Montgomery Co. Highway Dep... Nov '16 Now_What- 1
forum restaurant (Aug '13) Nov '16 Now_What- 11
News Domestic violence survivor gets huge surprise a... Nov '16 Now_What- 1

Crawfordsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance