FAA to begin investigation into skydiver's death in Sebastian

The Federal Aviation Administration said an investigation into the death of a 22-year-old skydiver who fell to his death Friday afternoon over the Sebastian Municipal Airport would begin today. Full Story
oddball

United States

#1 Jan 5, 2009
My guess would be the cause of death was the 'chute malfuntioned, causing the young man to hit the ground at an extreme volocity.
louie louie

Gainesville, FL

#3 Jan 5, 2009
maybe he stuttered
concerned one

Hollywood, FL

#4 Jan 5, 2009
ROOT CAUSE:auto parachutes
reelthing

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#5 Jan 5, 2009
He must have used EZ Mend to fix his parachute.
Gravity

Deerfield Beach, FL

#6 Jan 5, 2009
You can beat me for a spell, but in the end, I always win.
Rambo5254

Miami, FL

#8 Jan 5, 2009
Why jump out of a perfectly good airplane???
All Rise

Miami, FL

#9 Jan 5, 2009
reelthing wrote:
He must have used EZ Mend to fix his parachute.
Hi. Willy Mays Here!
Mr Correction

United States

#10 Jan 5, 2009
All Rise wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi. Willy Mays Here!
It's Billy, not Willy. Stop making fun of somebody's death.
CHAS DARWIN

Labelle, FL

#11 Jan 5, 2009
It's not that fall that will kill you; it's the sudden stop.

Do you find it odd that the FAA is investigating this? There must be more to the story.
skydiver

Houston, TX

#12 Jan 5, 2009
Most of the people commenting here are completely ignorant.

There was nothing at all wrong with his parachute. Had this skydiver put on his harness correctly, this could have been prevented.

This death was 100% user error, and will serve as a lesson for others to take the time to double check their gear.

There was no parachute malfunction here.
skydiver

Houston, TX

#13 Jan 5, 2009
CHAS DARWIN wrote:
Do you find it odd that the FAA is investigating this? There must be more to the story.
No, skydiving is an activity that is regulated by the FAA. A parachute is classified as an non-motorized aircraft.
Rambo5254

Miami, FL

#14 Jan 5, 2009
skydiver wrote:
This death was 100% user error, and will serve as a lesson for others to take the time to double check their gear.
You mean there are skydivers that "DON'T" double check their gear?!?! Sounds like a death wish!
skydiver

Houston, TX

#15 Jan 5, 2009
Rambo5254 wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean there are skydivers that "DON'T" double check their gear?!?! Sounds like a death wish!
its typically called complacency... you know the type you probably suffer from, when you fail to check the air pressure in your tires before driving.

Additionally, it is recommended that a skydiver have at least 200 jumps before attempting a wing suit dive. From what I can gather, this jumper had less than that, so training and experience may have been an issue.

Skydiving, relatively speaking, is a very safe sport. Especially when compared to other sports such as NASCAR or even driving on the freeways. We take safety VERY seriously, we also try to use tragedies such as these as learning experiences.
reelthing

Hialeah, FL

#16 Jan 5, 2009
Mr Correction wrote:
<quoted text>
Im making fun of the TV ad.
Why does that dude Billy gotta yell?
Rambo5254

Miami, FL

#17 Jan 6, 2009
skydiver wrote:
<quoted text>
its typically called complacency... you know the type you probably suffer from, when you fail to check the air pressure in your tires before driving.
Additionally, it is recommended that a skydiver have at least 200 jumps before attempting a wing suit dive. From what I can gather, this jumper had less than that, so training and experience may have been an issue.
Skydiving, relatively speaking, is a very safe sport. Especially when compared to other sports such as NASCAR or even driving on the freeways. We take safety VERY seriously, we also try to use tragedies such as these as learning experiences.
Yes, but if one of my tires is low on air the car may pull a little to the left or right, but I'm not going to plummet to the ground at 140 MPH.

Glad to hear skydiving is a safer sport than it looks like, I have a fear of heights:( I tried to get over it by going parasailing, but I saw a bunch of sharks in the water when I was way up there, so now I'm afraid of going in the ocean and heights! Oh well....
skydiver

Houston, TX

#18 Jan 6, 2009
Rambo5254 wrote:
Yes, but if one of my tires is low on air the car may pull a little to the left or right, but I'm not going to plummet to the ground at 140 MPH.
One of your tires could exploded into rubber shrapnel and send you careening into on-coming traffic. I was simply giving an example that most people can relate to, we all become complacent. People who take risks, such as skydiving need to be all the more aware of complacency and actively fight it. I am truly much more terrified of traffic to and from the dropzone, than I am of skydiving.
Rambo5254 wrote:
Glad to hear skydiving is a safer sport than it looks like
If you contrast the millions of successful skydives completed every year in the US and worldwide with the fatalities during that period; it shows that statistically speaking you stand a much better chance of dieing in traffic on the way to the dropzone, then skydiving.

Every single jump I make, I realize could be my last. So I take every precaution, to check my gear; I even check the gear of other skydivers on the plane and they do the same for me.

Every single day, when I wake up, or drive to work could potentially be my last day. People don't usually get to pick how they die, but if I were to die skydiving, I would die doing what I truly love.
Rambo5254

Miami, FL

#19 Jan 6, 2009
skydiver wrote:
<quoted text>
One of your tires could exploded into rubber shrapnel and send you careening into on-coming traffic. I was simply giving an example that most people can relate to, we all become complacent. People who take risks, such as skydiving need to be all the more aware of complacency and actively fight it. I am truly much more terrified of traffic to and from the dropzone, than I am of skydiving.
<quoted text>
If you contrast the millions of successful skydives completed every year in the US and worldwide with the fatalities during that period; it shows that statistically speaking you stand a much better chance of dieing in traffic on the way to the dropzone, then skydiving.
Every single jump I make, I realize could be my last. So I take every precaution, to check my gear; I even check the gear of other skydivers on the plane and they do the same for me.
Every single day, when I wake up, or drive to work could potentially be my last day. People don't usually get to pick how they die, but if I were to die skydiving, I would die doing what I truly love.
Regarding your last sentence: everyone should be so lucky:)
pilot fr life

Delray Beach, FL

#20 Jan 7, 2009
Mr Correction wrote:
<quoted text>
very true its a trajic death and he deserves is sympathy

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cranbury Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CLOSED Plainsboro Super Fresh to reopen as A&P ... Jul '14 MONTVALE 1
Jen Freeman Jul '14 bubbles0o0o 1
Who do you support for U.S. House in New Jersey... (Oct '10) Jul '14 Francis Sheer 24
Debate: Gay Marriage - Hightstown, NJ (Jan '12) May '14 Samantha 8
New Jersey American Water to resume treating wa... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Lord Helmet 2
Review: J&M Broad Auto Service (Nov '13) Nov '13 Beadmom 1
Hairports Blow Dry Bar 10/10/2013 (Oct '13) Oct '13 Jennifer Powell 1

Cranbury News Video

Cranbury Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Cranbury People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Cranbury News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Cranbury

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]