|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2012

Judged:

TZC wrote:
Grove's Dairy delivering milk in the mornings in glass gallon jugs,with five of us kids,they ccou quarts would have been silly. Sunday afternoon football was after church and dinner at granny's, played in an active cowpasture, the Carpenter boys, Hickman boys, Cochran boys, Dunlap boys, Lynn Ray Morrison along with an assortment of friends, guests and passers by. After moving the cattle to another field, the game began fresh cow patties and all. Time outs were called for the occassional washing of hands and faces as needed! Crab apple battles, amazing how far they could travel when flung from a good hickory stick!
And yes When My Dad moved us to Cowen on our 96 acre farm with a pond he had gotten and was living what he had worked for and dreamed of having. But he not only was thinking of himself and my Mother but all of us kids as it was a wonderful place to raise all of us. We never had to say we were bored because there was always something to do! To even working in the Hay and garden. I knew the Carpenter boys as they lived close. And the Ray boys and Tenneys. Everyone knew just about everyone! And going fishing and swimming at Williams river. My fondest memories are of our farm that we all grew up on!! And am hoping to get to visit it again soon!!! And yes I seen someone had mentioned about CPS. Let's all just overlook this person and keep thinking of our fondest memories as a child. Thanks
Yeah

Craigsville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2012

I remember standing up in the vehicle every where we went so I could see out the window. No worries in the world....
Make it the Best

Scottsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2012

So much I remember growing up in Cowen...having fire drill at the elementary school and sliding down the slide; the Valentine's Day program each year in the HS gym with each class providing part of the entertainment; the band marching from the HS to the football field prior to games on Friday night; 4-H field day each year; the Jr-Sr banquet at Camp Caesar followed by the prom in a crepe-paper decorated gym; swimming and weiner roasts at the CCC; class tournament time; and being so hurt by the yearbook staff by their comment about me printed in the yearbook.
Kma

Sanford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2012

I remember going to friends houses and if I got in trouble there, not only did I get in trouble there but the whole neighborhood new about it and then I got in trouble again at home. That doesn't happen nowadays
Experienced

Hico, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2012

Growing up in Cowen Bottom and not having enough kids to play softball do we had ghost runners. And Indian Ball, miss that. Pop Tag, hide-n-seek, dad walking out on the porch and yelling for us when it was time to come in. Sleigh riding at Taylor's. It was a wonderful life.
Experienced

Hico, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2012

Sitting on Dad's lap steering as we took a drive on Sundays; just pick a road and see where it leads. Seat belts, not a concern, but of course cars were made of metal back then. Kindergarten in the basement of the grade school, walking over the high school to watch a Davy Crockett Movie. One dollar could buy the entire class an ice cream cone and make you the hero of the day. The crummy outdoor basketball court where the city building sits now. Walking through Glade Elementary while under construction to see where your classroom would be. Love those days.
lmao

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2012

i remember waking up on saturday mornings to watch cartoons on fox 11 till noon then playing outside till dark. now adays kids wont do that your lucky to get them off the video games and heaven forbid them going outside to play
Remembering

Mill Creek, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2012

I remember alot of good and alot of bad things in my childhood. Now days I desperately try to hold on to the good, so here are some of my favorite good memories... I remember my little brother being a pain in the butt from the first time I can remember him, I remember praying for my little sister, I remember Dad braiding my hair at night, I remember my Mom singing Keith Whitley songs to us, I remember that no matter what Mom & Dad's differences were us kids were never kept away from our Grandparents on either side of the famil, I remember Sunday dinners at my Grandparents house, I remember traveling to see my other Grandparents, I remember sitting on my Dad's knee trying to steer a Buick that had a steering wheel the size of a washtub, I remember helping Mom wash clothes on the front porch in the winter, I remember having chores that gave me a backache, I remember picking berries from daylight to dark, I remember Dad making a cobbler from those berries, I remember having noone to play with except my siblings and being perfectly content with that, I remember knowing early in life that I came from some of the most stubborn hard headed people in the world, I remember playing in the creek, I remember learning to ride a used bike, I remember being a total pain in the butt for half the teachers at Glade Elementary, I remember learning early in life that things are hard, uncertain, & unfair & I learned how important it is to treasure the good people & times, because things constantly change & not always for the better... I learned that it is better to try to always be thankful & grateful instead of nasty & bitter... I learned that there aren't many people that I love, but the ones I do love I love unconditionally no matter what our differences or hardships have been...
gee wizz

Cowen, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2012

Judged:

Teneys Department store Blakes grocery store, Bob and Rhondas, Callohans in Camden Grans pickle Corn, laudermat where the blue apartments are in front of Junior Cobbs, Junior had a gas station, kathy and larry cutlips grocery on williams swimming @ the mill pond. cornbread, coal stoves, stringing beans. Cowen park had swings, Foodland was boomin in the late 80"s grape vine swinging, no seat belts left ur doors unlocked, 9 yr old camped in the lawns, walks for icecream @ "woods dairy bar!!" roasting dogs and marshmellows b4 smores lol!!! gas was 80 cnts where did that go???

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Cowen Discussions

Search the Cowen Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Fire House Grill 19 min whatever 54
talent show 21 min whatever 2
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 50 min bacon hater 54,264
Repeat Offenders LOCK em up!! 4 hr sayno2drugs 16
Relay for life 4 hr Disgusted 39
4-Wheeler for trade (Oct '10) Jul 27 awesome 21
kim sill (Oct '10) Jul 26 holy thit 29
•••
•••
•••
•••

Cowen Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••