First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Hell yeah

Covington, VA

#1 Feb 7, 2013
Are there any laws in Covington about owning pit bulls I am thinking about getting one.
pitbull owner

Covington, VA

#2 Feb 7, 2013
i sure hope not, i have one also. ive never heard of one and the cops have been to my crib multiple times
ha ha

Covington, VA

#4 Feb 7, 2013
Not that im aware of. It just makes your insurance go up.
Hell yeah

Covington, VA

#5 Feb 7, 2013
pitbull owner wrote:
i sure hope not, i have one also. ive never heard of one and the cops have been to my crib multiple times
Good I have been looking and I didn't see any so I hope there aren't any laws about them.
Hmm

Covington, VA

#6 Feb 8, 2013
Pit bulls are amazing. One of the sweetest, most lovable dogs I've ever met is a pit bull. Such an incredible breed. <3
Insurance

Covington, VA

#7 Feb 8, 2013
If you own your home check with your policy. Some policies will not allow certain types of dogs on the premises, such as pits, rotties, dobies, or shepards since they are often thought of as high risk.
Nope

Covington, VA

#8 Feb 8, 2013
Can't just blame training. Bad genes, bad temperament, bad breeding, and natural instinct. Cannot overcome instinct completely with training, especially if the dog is genetically predisposed to aggression. The worst a pit bull owner can do is deny their Doug's genetic make-up, that's how tragedies happen. It's not just a well build lap dog. Be responsible, be informed.

2012 statistics
38 U.S. fatal dog attacks occurred in 2012.2 Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 600 U.S. cities,3 pit bulls contributed to 61%(23) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up less than 5% of the total U.S. dog population.4
Together, pit bulls (23) and rottweilers (3), the second most lethal dog breed, accounted for 68% of all fatal attacks in 2012. In the 8-year period from 2005 to 2012, this combination accounted for 73%(183) of the total recorded deaths (251).
The breakdown between pit bulls and rottweilers is substantial over this 8-year period. From 2005 to 2012, pit bulls killed 151 Americans, about one citizen every 19 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 32, about one citizen every 91 days.
Annual data from 2012 shows that 50%(19) of the victims were adults, 21-years and older, and the other half were children, ages 8-years and younger. Of the total children killed by dogs in 2012, 79%(15) were ages 2-years and younger.
Annual data also shows that males were more often victims, 61%(23), than females. The majority of male victims, 61%(14), were ages 8-years and younger. Of the total female victims, only 33%(5) fell into this same age group.
In 2012, roughly one-third, 32%(12), of all dog bite fatality victims were either visiting or living temporarily with the dog's owner when the fatal attack occurred. Children 8-years and younger accounted for 75%(9) of these deaths.
34%(13) of all fatalities in 2012 involved more than one dog; 13%(5) involved breeding on the dog owner's property either actively or in the recent past, and 5%(2) involved tethered dogs, down from 6% in 2011, 9% in 2010 and 19% in 2009.
In 2012, dogs referred to as a "rescue" accounted for at least 13%(5) attacks that resulted in death. Children suffered the brunt of these attacks with 3 deaths. The adults afflicted, 2 adult females, were killed by their own pack of "rescued" dogs.5
Dog ownership information for 2012 shows that family dogs comprised 58%(22) of all fatal occurrences; 82%(31) of all incidents occurred on the dog owner's property and 18%(7) resulted in criminal charges, down from 29% in 2011.6
California and North Carolina led fatalities in 2012, each with 4 deaths. 75% of the California deaths occurred in San Diego County. Pit bull-type dogs accounted for 88%(7) of the 8 deaths. New Mexico, Ohio and Texas followed, each with 3 deaths.
pitbull owner

Covington, VA

#9 Feb 8, 2013
nope that scares me!!ive had pits for 15yrs, now im wondering when he will attack! lol
Pit Lover

Covington, VA

#10 Feb 8, 2013
All we have ever had were pits and not one problem with any of them. Any dog can attack.
Pit owner

Troutville, VA

#11 Feb 8, 2013
I have had three for years an never had a problem it's just how they are raised the worthless people who like to fight them an treat them like shit is the reason pits have a bad rep
dogs

Covington, VA

#12 Feb 8, 2013
Its good to have been around the parents of your pit pup and know their tendencies before getting the dog in the first place. If the parents have matured into fine dogs without violence or much training then with good training/socialization and having the dog in your care since it was only weeks old you will have one of the most loyal, family oriented, lap/guard dogs you have ever seen in your life, it will almost try to take on the human qualities it sees around it over time if it is treated as one of the family. However you must know that what you have is a fiercely loyal protector against anything strange he deems as a threat to his immediate family so therefore you must be his protector and not allow him to be put into such situations where he may overreact. I have never seen a better animal to bond with or protect you and your family than a well bred, well trained American Pitbull. I was once firmly against these animals as well, but now I will never stray from this breed.
Right

Washington, DC

#13 Feb 8, 2013
These stats are just made up @@ it's always people like you whose dogs attack and kill a little kid because their put bull was sooooo different than all the rest.
pitbull owner

Covington, VA

#14 Feb 8, 2013
just the other day we watched our toddler take a food dish away from our pit, no growls no barks. we both commented on how they are supposed to be so vicious!!
love my pits

Covington, VA

#15 Feb 8, 2013
FYI
According to the Center for Disease Control, the top 10 most dangerous dogs are:
1. Dachshunds
2. Chihuahuas
3. Jack Russell Terrier
4. Chow Chows
5. Australian Cattle Dogs
6. Cocker Spaniels
7.German Shepherds
8. St. Bernards
9.Great Danes
10. bull mastiff
Greatv

Washington, DC

#16 Feb 8, 2013
Keep that up until it rips her face off then you can show everyone pictures of how sweet she was until she ate your baby's face. The fault will be yours but the dog will be put to sleep. Reckless owner.
Greatv

Washington, DC

#17 Feb 8, 2013
RALEIGH, N.C.-- Tuesday's fatal dog attack in Harnett County is not as rare as you may think. Dogs kill 10 to 20 people in the United States every year.
Last year in Orange County, 300 dog bites were reported, and 350 were reported in Raleigh.

DOG SAFETY
Stay Safe
Tips For Parents
Own A Dog?
Been Injured By A Dog?

While national statistics show at least 30 breeds have attacked humans, 10 dog breeds are on the Center for Disease Control and Prevention's most dangerous list, meaning they tend to bite the most frequently. They are:

Pit bulls
Rottweilers
German Shepherds
Huskies
Alaskan Malamutes
Doberman Pinschers
Chow Chows
Great Danes
St. Bernards
Akitas

The breeds considered most likely to kill are pit bulls and rottweilers, and the CDC says that a chained dog is more likely to bite than an unchained dog.

The CDC also says the majority of dog attacks happen at home or in a familiar place, which is why choosing the right dog for your family is crucial.

http://m.propertycasualty360.com/2011/07/27/t...
love my pits

Covington, VA

#18 Feb 8, 2013
Greatv wrote:
Keep that up until it rips her face off then you can show everyone pictures of how sweet she was until she ate your baby's face. The fault will be yours but the dog will be put to sleep. Reckless owner.
shes a he. and im rotflmmfao over your stupidity!!
lovemypitspitbul lowner

Covington, VA

#19 Feb 8, 2013
greatv, what kind of dog would you choose? we had a small Chihuahua that we put down for biting at the toddler. what kind of dog would you suggest?
too funny

Covington, VA

#20 Feb 8, 2013
bulley

Halethorpe, MD

#21 Feb 9, 2013
OMG! So this 90 lb pitbull that's asleep in bed next to me that snuggles with me every night and licks my face when its time for breakfast may suddenly SNAP and rip my throat out?! I'm afraid to move! What should I do?!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Covington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
$6.5 MILLION sunk in C.F. theater???? 30 min Murphy 2
Who is princess white??? 1 hr Jenna 5
Ian Altizer 1 hr DAT negro 7
Flooding 1 hr nwad 11
Leave a word take a word (Feb '15) 2 hr -Prince- 686
Brewster 2 hr Tired 6
looking for good man in c.f. 7 hr DaveS 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Covington Mortgages