why is the Y so high
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
justaname

Covington, VA

#1 Dec 26, 2012
I thought the YMCA was for families that wanted a good, inexpensive place to exercise. But unless your company is part of a program or you qualify for assistance then you fall in the middle and can't afford to join.
Phaedra

Covington, VA

#3 Dec 26, 2012
Everybody knows the Y is free to students.
justaname

Covington, VA

#4 Dec 26, 2012
@Phaedra highschool? Or college?
marshakeyser

Washington, DC

#5 Dec 26, 2012
There aren't enough people in the area who actually pay for their Y memberships (or anything else for that matter) to offset the cost to provide the services/facility for those who do not qualify for assistance.
false

Buchanan, VA

#6 Dec 26, 2012
I don't think the Y is free to anyone at all. They are a rip off...prob trying to pay off the building.
justaname

Covington, VA

#7 Dec 26, 2012
Other Y's have day rates that are affordable
NOO

Covington, VA

#8 Dec 26, 2012
The Y is NOT free to students
...they just do not charge a membership fee to college students but they do have to pay a monthly fee!
marshakeyser

Washington, DC

#9 Dec 27, 2012
Typically, if you qualify for public assistance and apply for their scholarship you will get a free family or reduced family membership.
Loe Cifer

Covington, VA

#10 Dec 27, 2012
It work on a sliding scale. They will work with you Hell, at $67.00/month for a family isn't too bad if you actually use the facility.
Stripper

United States

#11 Dec 27, 2012
Except $67 is ridiculous if your paying a family rate but you have two kids who would go to child watch and then you have to pay them for that as well when it used to be included. Plus not to mention they do not even watch your kids in there.
marshakeyser

Covington, VA

#12 Dec 27, 2012
Where you strip around here???
YMCA Member

Millboro, VA

#13 Dec 28, 2012
It's priced to keep the riff raff out of there.
Lou Cifer

Covington, VA

#14 Dec 28, 2012
Stripper wrote:
Except $67 is ridiculous if your paying a family rate but you have two kids who would go to child watch and then you have to pay them for that as well when it used to be included. Plus not to mention they do not even watch your kids in there.
Wow! I guess you have that mindset of, "They have worked hard at what they have, I deserve to have the same thing for free." $67.00 really? Do you have internet service? Cable? Satellite TV? Cell Phone? Hmmm?
oknow

Covington, VA

#15 Dec 28, 2012
YMCA Member wrote:
It's priced to keep the riff raff out of there.

Really? Christian values at there best?
Lou Cifer

Covington, VA

#16 Dec 28, 2012
oknow wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Christian values at there best?

Whatever it takes!
Name

Lanham, MD

#17 Dec 28, 2012
Actually yes I do have all the things you listed. However, if you live in Roanoke and you have a cell you probably pay around what you do in Covington. The Y here in our area is over priced compared to other similar facilities that are of the same nature. Also if you pay $67 monthly why is it that you pay additional rates for everything else you do? For example, if you have a 5 year old and your payin for them in your family plan and yet they have to pay additional for the basketball, etc. well what else can they use down there? Treadmills? No. I will stand by my previous statement. No need to ask about a J-O-B because I have one of those as well.
Lou Cifer

Covington, VA

#18 Dec 29, 2012
Maybe cut back on some of your other expenses and you could afford the Y. Otherwise get yourself a home gym and a workout video instead of complaining about what you don't have. Happy New Year!
FlatTop

United States

#19 Dec 29, 2012
I like Rotties. Its cheap and pay by the day.
Aaa

Dumfries, VA

#20 Dec 30, 2012
FlatTop wrote:
I like Rotties. Its cheap and pay by the day.
Just go to the bathroom before you go
just sayin

Baltimore, MD

#21 Jan 3, 2013
Paying for a family membership, then having to pay for childwatch, its ridiculous! I wouldn't mind paying, if they actually had activities for the kids. But you end up paying twice for your kids, and they get nothing out of it. That's why i cancelled my membership!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Covington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
White Trash 9 min Haha 9
Once a drug dealer and user , always... 46 min F the police 5
Jennifer Hayslett 58 min Class of 2012 1
Merissa Hubbard 1 hr Lookin 4 my count... 1
Meth 5 hr Toby 2
Help 5 hr Haha 12
Angie justice 18 hr Oooooo 2
Christmas Mother 18 hr Which Big Brother... 50

Covington Jobs

More from around the web