diabolus maximus

Covington, VA

#82 Mar 3, 2013
I hope some of the bos have read this post and see just how disgusted we are with their inability to perform their jobs. When someone can't perform their job to the employers expectations, what usually happens? That's right, terminate and hire someone who can do the job!
Why

Redwood, VA

#83 Mar 3, 2013
idea wrote:
<quoted text>
If bse students attend the city they will be getting 6,500 dollars per student which will help them pay for there two new schools. I agree with a fee but alleghany county should have a fee for the city kids that attend the county it can work both ways.
Given the fact that state funding follows the students, why would either system charge tuition? They haven't for the last 25 years that I know of.
Duh

Covington, VA

#84 Mar 4, 2013
idea wrote:
Why don't the city get a bus to go up to the boiling springs area, because it is way closer for the kids to go to the city than callaghan. Alleghany county has stops in the city so I dont know why they would not let the city do that. Then let falling spring go to callaghan since it would be way closer then them going to mountain view.I think that would be a better idea. I think it is to far to put these kids on that long of a bus drive when falling kids are a lot closer to callaghan.
That would have involved consolidation, which the ignorant still don't see, was the answer!
Matter of time

Waynesboro, VA

#85 Mar 4, 2013
The Millbilly wrote:
Teachers are just another union that need busting up. They are just more people sucking off of the government teat.
Millbilly, the way I see it, you better learn about what happens to a area when a school closes. Millboro Elementary is just a matter of time. I mean less than 100 kids and 35 of those are out of county! Like I say closing any schools suck but time and DOE approval for funding pushes small schools out.
idea

Covington, VA

#86 Mar 4, 2013
Why wrote:
<quoted text>
Given the fact that state funding follows the students, why would either system charge tuition? They haven't for the last 25 years that I know of.
Yes I understand they haven't charge but bath county school system charges a 200.00 fee. I have already checked on that. I know that they receive state funding and they shouldn't charge. But if they did charge that would bring them more money in to help keep the schools open. Alleghany county gets a lot of kids from the city I know that for a fact my child now has several in his class now.
idea

Covington, VA

#87 Mar 4, 2013
Duh wrote:
<quoted text>
That would have involved consolidation, which the ignorant still don't see, was the answer!
Yes I understand that consolidation was the answer! I agree 100%. But you have some that can't understand that!
DC fellow

Covington, VA

#88 Mar 4, 2013
Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, Your right about public employee unions, but teachers in Virginia are not unionized. There is no collective bargaining. Most teachers in this areas with less that 7-8 years of experience take home less that 30K per year and struggle to pay their bills like everyone else. Trust me, there are no rich teachers, only those who do without or work second jobs.
You're right! Who would want to pay to send a child to 4 years of college so he or she could get a job paying less than the janitors at some of our local plants make! I've always been surprised that we even get people to be public school teachers!
maybe

Covington, VA

#89 Mar 4, 2013
if there would have been a CLEAR plan presented for consolidation, it would have passed... basically, what was presented was "we dont know what will happen, but sign here"...
welcome committee

Roanoke, VA

#90 Mar 4, 2013
We'll have to dust off the right turn lane at Edgemont /Jeter-Watson parking lot. We'll welcome any child that attends our schools, and show their part of the family.
Question

Redwood, VA

#91 Mar 4, 2013
idea wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I understand that consolidation was the answer! I agree 100%. But you have some that can't understand that!
I can see your point on consolidation, but do you think that it would have prevented these school closures?
Yessiree

Colonial Beach, VA

#92 Mar 4, 2013
Maybe, you said it! "We can't tell you a durn thing about it, but check yes or no!" What a waste of money that was!
let it be

Covington, VA

#93 Mar 4, 2013
consolidation was the answer that this area needed but naturally the BOS and Covington's leaders didnt like language in the plan. So it didnt really matter anyway because the citizens of Covington had already said they would shoot it down. I dont think it would have kept all the schools open but the one thing it could have done was closed AHS and that still needs to be done. Consolidation is 9 more years down the road now. Can the remainder of these schools stay open that long when they are in the red and nothing being done to correct the problems. Like it or not, Covington high school is three stories high and at one time housed about as many students in that school as there would be if the systems consolidated. It is a central point of all areas with just a little longer ride for the children in the Sharon area. You put 10 grade -12 grade there, close AHS, make CMS and Jeter Watson true middle schools containing 7th grade - 9th grade, with people east of Island Ford Bridge and Mallow, Brentwood and Dolly Ann areas to CMS and anyone west of those points to Jeter Watson. Push 6th grade back into the elementary schools. Oh sorry that wont work cause it is too much common sense and we have closed too many schools now.
Question

Redwood, VA

#94 Mar 4, 2013
let it be wrote:
consolidation was the answer that this area needed but naturally the BOS and Covington's leaders didnt like language in the plan. So it didnt really matter anyway because the citizens of Covington had already said they would shoot it down. I dont think it would have kept all the schools open but the one thing it could have done was closed AHS and that still needs to be done. Consolidation is 9 more years down the road now. Can the remainder of these schools stay open that long when they are in the red and nothing being done to correct the problems. Like it or not, Covington high school is three stories high and at one time housed about as many students in that school as there would be if the systems consolidated. It is a central point of all areas with just a little longer ride for the children in the Sharon area. You put 10 grade -12 grade there, close AHS, make CMS and Jeter Watson true middle schools containing 7th grade - 9th grade, with people east of Island Ford Bridge and Mallow, Brentwood and Dolly Ann areas to CMS and anyone west of those points to Jeter Watson. Push 6th grade back into the elementary schools. Oh sorry that wont work cause it is too much common sense and we have closed too many schools now.
You present a very interesting option that should be seriously considered. I think you should know that Covington's leaders pretty much stayed out of the consolidation debate once the citizen's committee took over. I know at least 2 members of the BOS opposed the plan. It failed in both the city and county. I told one of the petitioners that people might accept joint schools, but the folks in the city and county had too different of expectations as to what the consolidated government should do or not do for the city mouse and country mouse. The city met with the county school board at JRTC several months ago, but the county board wasn't interested in pursuing talks at the time. I can only guess it was because of the school closure decisions they were facing.
wow

Covington, VA

#95 Mar 4, 2013
i know the city leaders backed away but also knew a lot of the citizens wouldnt have voted for it due to increases in some areas they just couldnt afford. That is why the BOS upsets me so bad, they started trying to shoot holes in it before they were even started. It wasnt their decision to try for consolidation so they downplayed it. Just frustrating to WANT to live in this area since I grew up here but it keeps getting harder and harder when we are falling behind every day, every year. Something needs to change and it needs to be NOW, not next year.
Question

Redwood, VA

#96 Mar 4, 2013
wow wrote:
i know the city leaders backed away but also knew a lot of the citizens wouldnt have voted for it due to increases in some areas they just couldnt afford. That is why the BOS upsets me so bad, they started trying to shoot holes in it before they were even started. It wasnt their decision to try for consolidation so they downplayed it. Just frustrating to WANT to live in this area since I grew up here but it keeps getting harder and harder when we are falling behind every day, every year. Something needs to change and it needs to be NOW, not next year.
I can sympathize with your frustration. It seems that we have a bad tendency, and I have to include the citizens and leaders alike in this as well, to focus on seemingly small issues while ignoring the big ones because they seem so distant and hard to solve.
maybe

Covington, VA

#97 Mar 5, 2013
is there not a way to consolidate schools but not governments?

for some reason, I was thinking that the County and City already share a couple of services? I am not sure about that, but was thinking that was the case?
justme

Covington, VA

#98 Mar 5, 2013
the school systems can be combined without loal governments combining. The problem with that is you have to get both sides of the local government on the same page and right now I just dont know if that is possible. the hard problems have been pushed to the side to handle the easier ones first and now that the hard problems (closing schools) have arisen it has put a lot of people in turmoil.
Question

Redwood, VA

#99 Mar 5, 2013
justme wrote:
the school systems can be combined without loal governments combining. The problem with that is you have to get both sides of the local government on the same page and right now I just dont know if that is possible. the hard problems have been pushed to the side to handle the easier ones first and now that the hard problems (closing schools) have arisen it has put a lot of people in turmoil.
Ditto That
Saddened

Raeford, NC

#101 Mar 6, 2013
I would like to say I attended Falling Springs Elementary and it saddens me to see it go. I left the area after High School and never looked back. Best decision I ever made was to leave and go to College. I had no desire to stay and work for Westvaco or in another dead end job. Some of the comments people are making are so rude and disrespectful.

I live in an area of the Country where we are florishing. It one of the hottest real estate markets in the country and there are a multitude of job opportunities for every skill level. If people don't like what is happening in Alleghany County then pack up and move. You might actually find out that there are so many better places to live.

I have lived in different parts of the world and in the US. With that being said Alleghany County will always have a special place in my heart. It's sad but instead of griping about everything take a stand and do something about it or leave like I did.

After reading this board I am so glad I left, I guess some things will never change in a small town. Similar things were going on years ago when I lived there. It appears nothing will ever be resolved EVER!
oh thanks

Covington, VA

#102 Mar 6, 2013
@Saddened: Thanks for the pep talk! Here's one for your rude and disrespectful book:

So glad that you are are doing so much better, making so much more money and having such a better life now that you have shaken the dust of this crummy town.

It must be wonderful to have the time from your perfect life out there in the wide world (while sipping on a drink poolside, no doubt) to come on here to brag, look down your nose and remind yourself what pitiful beginnings you had and were able to escape. I get choked up just thinking about it...

Now, go crawl back under your rock. I doubt anyone here has missed you ;0

Love,
Alleghany Co/Cov

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Covington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
in need of 33 min looking-4-cutefemale 1
Rosie fix 1 hr haha 17
Ethan Hinton 2 hr Dee 3
Chase Carper 2 hr Ballinallday 1
Cassandra Bennett 2 hr Witch one 7
going down 2 hr looking-4-cutefemale 13
Stephanie Cauley (Mar '13) 3 hr Just curious 10
dog abuse 12 hr whoop 18
El Patron closed ??? Sat Lew 26
Covington Dating