Next Last
diabolus maximus

Covington, VA

#1 Feb 27, 2013
What a waste. Your thoughts?
checking

Covington, VA

#2 Feb 27, 2013
sad to see any schools close but with most, if not all of them, operating at around 50% capacity, I think the closings had to happen. If we continue losing students from the county system, look for more of the same in the future!
well

Clifton Forge, VA

#3 Feb 27, 2013
They need to close mve! That's the worst one in the county! Glad I switched my child to Sharon.
kids go to falling

Lyndhurst, VA

#4 Feb 27, 2013
well i will refuse to let my kids go to mve . i will pay the out of county fees so mine are going to valley next year,i wanted them in a small school like falling and the teachers are just great there . valley will be a better choice i think its small too and several of my families children have gone there and they said the teachers are great too
Question

Covington, VA

#5 Feb 27, 2013
What's wrong with mve?

Since: Nov 12

Washington, DC

#6 Feb 27, 2013
There's a rumor that Falling Springs has already been purchased by an assisted living facility. No idea how true that may be. I have worked at many schools in the county and there isn't anything "wrong" with any of them. Its a lot easier to get students to perform excellent on SOLs when there are only 15 children in the whole grade, versus 80 students in the grade.
sam

Covington, VA

#8 Feb 27, 2013
hummmm wrote:
Why Don't they just close all the County elementary schools falling springs Callaghan boilings Sharon and put all the elementary school kids at alleghany high school and just have one big elementary school and move the high school kids to mve
retty good idea....has this ever been brought up to the school board ..gets Ya thinking..it could save a lot of money this way plus more the teachers keep their jobs because Allegheny has plenty of classrooms classes wouldn't be so crowded the classes at Allegheny are much larger than ones at elementary schools plus the cafeteria is large enough to accommodate more children.
Come on

Covington, VA

#9 Feb 27, 2013
The high school was not built for people 3 feet tall. Too many renovations would have to be made, to a building already on the block to be demolished (15 year plan).
Secondly, I'm so tired of people bashing Mt View. The same ones talking crap are the ones who will be taking their children there in the fall, and wondering why they aren't getting the warmest reception.
Face it, this areas population is declining. Schools can not be run at 50% occupancy. You all voted against consolidation, so now you have to face the decisions being made by the school board. It probably won't be too many years until a consolidation is inevitable, of schools, not government.
If you are so against your educational options, then homeschool. If you are unwilling to do that, then look into other options. A charter school, or private school of some sort. This is happening all over the country people, alleghany county is in no way unique. Look at your options instead of criticizing people in your own community.
Btw, just because your kids live in a different zip code than mine, does not make them any better than my children! At least I'm not teaching my children to be judgemental and racist!
sam

Covington, VA

#10 Feb 27, 2013
For your information I do not have any kids in the school that is closing or is affected by the school closing I was just simply putting an idea out there don't get your panties in such a ruffle I'm so sick and tired of hearing everything is because we didn't consolidate. It does not matter what we vote yes or no for if the big people in this town want something done they're going to do it it doesn't matter what we say it's always been like that and it's going to continue to be like that into people stand up and speak their opinions not just get on a stupid topic page or message boards and talk s*** they need to take action. So I don't care what you think and I never said that i think I'm better than you but the people that are in charge of this town in the school board in the council members in the supervisors think they are above all of us and can do whatever they want to do and will do whatever they want to do until we stand up
baha

Covington, VA

#11 Feb 27, 2013
lol good idea
mmm

Covington, VA

#12 Feb 27, 2013
so what schools are these kids going to be going to next year
duyuno

Fincastle, VA

#13 Feb 27, 2013
Come on wrote:
The high school was not built for people 3 feet tall. Too many renovations would have to be made, to a building already on the block to be demolished (15 year plan).
Secondly, I'm so tired of people bashing Mt View. The same ones talking crap are the ones who will be taking their children there in the fall, and wondering why they aren't getting the warmest reception.
Face it, this areas population is declining. Schools can not be run at 50% occupancy. You all voted against consolidation, so now you have to face the decisions being made by the school board. It probably won't be too many years until a consolidation is inevitable, of schools, not government.
If you are so against your educational options, then homeschool. If you are unwilling to do that, then look into other options. A charter school, or private school of some sort. This is happening all over the country people, alleghany county is in no way unique. Look at your options instead of criticizing people in your own community.
Btw, just because your kids live in a different zip code than mine, does not make them any better than my children! At least I'm not teaching my children to be judgemental and racist!
Why did you immediately assume they were being racist and judgemental because they don't want their kids to go to Mountain View. Maybe they are like most parents and don't like the long bus ride or larger classroom sizes. Just because someone doesn't agree with you that doesn't mean they think they're better than you. Get that stupid chip off your shoulder and maybe your life would be a little better. Attitudes like yours is why this community is going backwards!
truth be spoken finally

Covington, VA

#14 Feb 27, 2013
sam wrote:
For your information I do not have any kids in the school that is closing or is affected by the school closing I was just simply putting an idea out there don't get your panties in such a ruffle I'm so sick and tired of hearing everything is because we didn't consolidate. It does not matter what we vote yes or no for if the big people in this town want something done they're going to do it it doesn't matter what we say it's always been like that and it's going to continue to be like that into people stand up and speak their opinions not just get on a stupid topic page or message boards and talk s*** they need to take action. So I don't care what you think and I never said that i think I'm better than you but the people that are in charge of this town in the school board in the council members in the supervisors think they are above all of us and can do whatever they want to do and will do whatever they want to do until we stand up
Well said, we the voter have got to take some responsibility for allowing this to happen. Our behavior has been to roll over and be the door mat for the "leader". Its time to man up.
truth be spoken finally

Covington, VA

#15 Feb 27, 2013
mmm wrote:
so what schools are these kids going to be going to next year
Boiling Springs to Callaghan and Falling Springs to Mt View Elem. seems backwards to me. Falling Springs is closer to Callaghan, and God bless those children in Boiling Springs they will have a LONG ride where ever they go. Not sure who the dumbass was that decided to send Boiling Springs to Callaghan with that long ride should have to be the 1st one on the bus and the last one off the bus every single school day. I have no patience for stupidity
Come on

Covington, VA

#16 Feb 27, 2013
Sam, I never said YOU were being racist. But you wouldn't believe how many people said at the meeting, and since the meeting, that they would never let their kids go to THAT school. I understand the long bus ride issue, but truth be told, some of those kids in falling spring are already on the bus for an hour. And they can just about see the school from home!
And guess what, if we had consolidated, the kids from boiling would be riding the bus to edgemont. So, yes, consolidation would have solved that problem!
It would be interesting to know how many parents have called edgemont or bath county this week, trying to get their kids in. Hmmm, no bus there! They can get out and drive them to those schools, but not mt view. Please, it is all about people in one side of the county thinking their kids are too good to mingle with those on the eastern side of the county. Just think of it as middle school a few years early!
support MVE

Covington, VA

#17 Feb 27, 2013
Emotions are raw during this difficult time but to throw MVE under the bus is just plain pathetic. I have had two children attend MVE & both received a solid education preparing both for CMS & AHS. Both are in honors classes & doing well. Difficult decisions must be made whether we like them or not. Closing schools is always difficult thus speaking from personal experience with CFHS & ACHS consolidated in 1983. Unfortunately, Sharon school may face this same decision next year when funds aren't available. The community as a whole needs to come together for school consolidation for the welfare of all children involved.
Thought

Covington, VA

#18 Feb 27, 2013
Thought Thursday march 7 meeting is about where the kids will go. Was told that they are going redraw the lines?
checking

Covington, VA

#19 Feb 27, 2013
I would think that the Falling Springs parents would send their kids to Bath County and that the Boiling Springs kids would be sent to the new Covington schools... since they will pass right by them anyway. With state school funding programs being as they are, I'm sure both Covington and Bath would gladly accept any and all new students!
duyuno

Fincastle, VA

#20 Feb 27, 2013
Come on wrote:
Sam, I never said YOU were being racist. But you wouldn't believe how many people said at the meeting, and since the meeting, that they would never let their kids go to THAT school. I understand the long bus ride issue, but truth be told, some of those kids in falling spring are already on the bus for an hour. And they can just about see the school from home!
And guess what, if we had consolidated, the kids from boiling would be riding the bus to edgemont. So, yes, consolidation would have solved that problem!
It would be interesting to know how many parents have called edgemont or bath county this week, trying to get their kids in. Hmmm, no bus there! They can get out and drive them to those schools, but not mt view. Please, it is all about people in one side of the county thinking their kids are too good to mingle with those on the eastern side of the county. Just think of it as middle school a few years early!
Yet more bs from someone that obviously has severe social problems. It's people with your inferiority complex that are polluting our kids minds today. My kids already "mingle " with kids from the eastern end of the county on and off the field in sports. Quit making this situation a black and white, social status problem and climb down off of your high horse. I'm having less of a problem sending my kids to MVE and more of a problem with them being around parents like you!
Come on

Covington, VA

#21 Feb 27, 2013
duyuno wrote:
<quoted text>Why did you immediately assume they were being racist and judgemental because they don't want their kids to go to Mountain View. Maybe they are like most parents and don't like the long bus ride or larger classroom sizes. Just because someone doesn't agree with you that doesn't mean they think they're better than you. Get that stupid chip off your shoulder and maybe your life would be a little better. Attitudes like yours is why this community is going backwards!
It's not about agreeing with me, it's about my children, their teachers, and their school being disrespected!
I am very sorry for everyone being affected by this. But the anger and ugly comments about a school that is 'not accredited', not 'blue ribbon'. And all the implications that children at MVES get a lesser education, that's a horrible thing to children hear! MVES is a wonderful school, with wonderful teachers and staff. I hope that everyone will give our school a chance. Taking your kids to bath county is only going to hurt our community.

New thought....
I'd like to see Mr. craft come to MVES. I do believe the one area in which our school lacks, is its leadership. And I also think it would help the kids from falling to have an easier transition with Mr. Craft there.

Ok. I'm finished. I wish you all well, and your children.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Covington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sheriffs department 7 min embarrassed of ou... 6
Where can someone with a felony get a decent job 3 hr Sad 9
Mother You Could of Been 6 hr HopeCannot Help You 2
Time for you to go HO 6 hr Susan1 8
High Akers 11 hr TruffleButter 9
hair weaves 13 hr For real 40
Samantha cook 15 hr wow 7

Covington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance