Police: Woman slain as she tried to l...

Police: Woman slain as she tried to leave KKK rite

There are 226 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Nov 11, 2008, titled Police: Woman slain as she tried to leave KKK rite. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Police say a woman recruited to come to rural Louisiana for a Ku Klux Klan initiation ritual was shot and killed when she asked to be taken back to town.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
StPaulie

Manchester, CT

#1 Nov 11, 2008
This story is tragic on many levels.
Pat Kittle

Aptos, CA

#2 Nov 11, 2008
If this alleged crime happened, it should be condemned and punished.

But let's keep this in perspective -- how often do KKK kill people in 2008?

As opposed to, say, Hispanic gangs? Anyone care to guess?
Jim

San Rafael, CA

#3 Nov 11, 2008
Pat Kittle wrote:
If this alleged crime happened, it should be condemned and punished.
Oh Pat, you narrow down the dates so much. Let's look at the entire history of the KKK and the impact they had on our nation and particularly minorities. Then we need to look at the Government Gang, and start tracking their kills... Whaddaya think Pat? It sure won't be pretty.
it is what it is

Newville, PA

#4 Nov 11, 2008
Pat Kittle...put the crack pipe down. Murder is murder who ever does the killing. Why would anyone want to place a KKK killing into perspective?
Purple Orangutan

Buffalo, MN

#7 Nov 11, 2008
And this, folks, is why we require our offspring to sit through history classes.

I'm rather callous and prejudiced, I know, but it doesn't seem to me that someone who answers an advertisement "Looking for new KKK members" or "Do U hate black people?!?" is much of a loss to society.

It is also good to hear that they apparently apprehended many of the even less worthwhile individuals that were already involved in the group. Hopefully they rot in a jail with lots of blacks and other minorities for a very long time. Not to say that there are a disproportionate number of blacks or minorities in prison...but...
Pat Kittle

Aptos, CA

#9 Nov 11, 2008
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh Pat, you narrow down the dates so much. Let's look at the entire history of the KKK and the impact they had on our nation and particularly minorities. Then we need to look at the Government Gang, and start tracking their kills... Whaddaya think Pat? It sure won't be pretty.
Yeah right, go back decades to find KKK gangs terrorizing our streets.

And ignore all the Hispanic gangs terrorizing our streets today.

I believe that was my point.
Pat Kittle

Aptos, CA

#10 Nov 11, 2008
Purple Orangutan wrote:
And this, folks, is why we require our offspring to sit through history classes.
I'm rather callous and prejudiced, I know, but it doesn't seem to me that someone who answers an advertisement "Looking for new KKK members" or "Do U hate black people?!?" is much of a loss to society.
It is also good to hear that they apparently apprehended many of the even less worthwhile individuals that were already involved in the group. Hopefully they rot in a jail with lots of blacks and other minorities for a very long time. Not to say that there are a disproportionate number of blacks or minorities in prison...but...
...but... what?
Pat Kittle

Aptos, CA

#13 Nov 11, 2008
it is what it is wrote:
Pat Kittle...put the crack pipe down. Murder is murder who ever does the killing. Why would anyone want to place a KKK killing into perspective?
You say "Murder is murder who ever does the killing."

That was my point. Somehow you managed to miss it.
Among you Soon

United States

#14 Nov 11, 2008
Wow, tough cookies for sure. I wonder if she tried to buy them off with "something"? Perhaps that is why they did her in?

Since: Apr 08

Twin Cities

#15 Nov 11, 2008
Let me get this straight. A police officer saught out initiation into the Klan. At this meeting, a fight broke out (between whom, we don't know ~ was it an altercation between the victim and the others, or was she a witness to the fight?), at which time she asked for a ride to town, which ended in her death.

Was she undercover or was she independently seeking membership in the KKK? Was she killed to prevent her from sharing some information she'd heard at the meeting? So much is left out of this story. St. Paulie is right, this is tragic on so many levels.
Bike Bubba

Shakopee, MN

#16 Nov 11, 2008
If anyone is curious, the total # of lynchings in Jim Crow days was about 3400 over 100 years. Gang killings are about 1000/year, according to the FBI.

I don't know how that breaks down by race--how many by white gangs, black ganges, mixed race gangs, whatever--but it does suggest (as does the article) that mercifully the age of KKK terror is over (for most), and that we have newer, bigger problems to confront.
woot

Santa Cruz, CA

#17 Nov 11, 2008
Little Melvin Williams wrote:
Brothers and Sisters, Perhaps the real question should be how many of our youth are putting a cap in each others **** on the streets of Baltimore?
Any amount of killing any **** may be capable of will never compare to the rate of homicide in our community by our own folks.
Funny I was reading an article predicting the population of the US in 2050 divided by race. Essentially the minorities will be the majority by that date although Whites will still be the largest individual group. Then they laid out the percentages of each group and when it came to African Americans it was quickly glossed over that their percentage would be 16% 42 years from now. As of now the Black percentage of our country is 13%. What this implies is that the demographers took into account the genocide urban Black youths commit against each other. In Los Angeles Black kill 9 times as much as Whites do and 3 times as much as hispanics and the majority of those killed are members of their own race. The culture is one of mayhem and destruction to the point that the KKK couldn't do any more damage than they do to themselves. jus sayin
Michael

Albuquerque, NM

#18 Nov 11, 2008
Pat Kittle wrote:
So, by your reckoning the KKK isn't as bad as Hispanic gangs? Unbelievable!
Pat Kittle

Aptos, CA

#19 Nov 11, 2008
woot wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny I was reading an article predicting the population of the US in 2050 divided by race. Essentially the minorities will be the majority by that date although Whites will still be the largest individual group. Then they laid out the percentages of each group and when it came to African Americans it was quickly glossed over that their percentage would be 16% 42 years from now. As of now the Black percentage of our country is 13%. What this implies is that the demographers took into account the genocide urban Black youths commit against each other. In Los Angeles Black kill 9 times as much as Whites do and 3 times as much as hispanics and the majority of those killed are members of their own race. The culture is one of mayhem and destruction to the point that the KKK couldn't do any more damage than they do to themselves. jus sayin
Your politically incorrect opinions are not welcome here.

Even if they are true. Truth is not the goal here. Political correctness is. Get that through your head.
beernuts

United States

#20 Nov 11, 2008
ZenBirdist wrote:
Let me get this straight. A police officer saught out initiation into the Klan. At this meeting, a fight broke out (between whom, we don't know ~ was it an altercation between the victim and the others, or was she a witness to the fight?), at which time she asked for a ride to town, which ended in her death.
Was she undercover or was she independently seeking membership in the KKK? Was she killed to prevent her from sharing some information she'd heard at the meeting? So much is left out of this story. St. Paulie is right, this is tragic on so many levels.
What story did you read? Where did it say a "police officer sought initiation" or anything about undercover?

"Strain said the woman, whose identity was not released, was recruited over the Internet to participate in the ritual and then return to her home state to find other members for the white supremacist group."
Pat Kittle

Aptos, CA

#21 Nov 11, 2008
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
So, by your reckoning the KKK isn't as bad as Hispanic gangs? Unbelievable!
In 1908, yes.

In 2008, no.

Yes, this is 2008 -- that really is "unbelievable" isn't it?
Pat Kittle

Aptos, CA

#24 Nov 11, 2008
Ken Fresno wrote:
<quoted text>
When you reproduce like rabbits because you're not burdened by such mundane things as say A JOB! Then a little self imposed population control might not be a bad thing. You know what I'm saying <wink, wink>
No need to <wink, wink> -- that is what's actually happening.

Birth control seems like a more sensible approach to population control. But one way or the other, population growth has limits. When humans think those limits don't apply to humans, they find out the hard way that they most definitely do.

That is the simple truth. Birth control or death control, that is the choice.
Jim

San Rafael, CA

#26 Nov 11, 2008
Pat Kittle wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah right, go back decades to find KKK gangs terrorizing our streets.
And ignore all the Hispanic gangs terrorizing our streets today.
I believe that was my point.
You left out the government gangs again Pat. Try keeping pace here.
Crack kills

Santa Cruz, CA

#28 Nov 11, 2008
Oh ya! Yea haw and stuff!
Crack kills

Santa Cruz, CA

#29 Nov 11, 2008
Maybe they found out she wasen't white?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Covington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
mark anthony traina v. lrmc -- legal update: 09... Sep 23 fatuous1 1
Lorenzo Dow Fenn Sep 23 Djfenn 1
i really don't feel like paying 5 bucks to toll... Sep '17 but its christmas 1
mark anthony traina v. lakeview rgional medical... (Dec '16) Sep '17 MARK ANTHONY TRAINA 3
Right to a speedy trial DENIED Sep '17 Mark Traina 1
Review: Massage Envy Mandeville (Oct '12) Aug '17 Hatethenorthshore 2
News Santorum, Gingrich tote Etch A Sketch toys (Mar '12) Aug '17 Clever Obama 39

Covington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Covington Mortgages