BP says so far, Gulf well plug isn't working

There are 14 comments on the May 29, 2010, TwinCities.com story titled BP says so far, Gulf well plug isn't working. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A risky procedure to stop the oil spewing into the Gulf of Mexico has yet to show much success, and BP is considering scrapping it in favor of a different method to contain the worst oil spill in U.S. history, an executive said today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Aug 09

Minneapolis, MN

#61 May 31, 2010
Hey dumb shite wrote:
<quoted text>
BP has the dumbest engineers on staff. THEY NEED TO PAY!!!!!!!!!!
What do you expect from "experts" hired to be yes men.
felix

Saint Paul, MN

#62 May 31, 2010
redeemer wrote:
<quoted text>Why don't you bother to learn something about basic science
and oceanology,and it would hurt you to understand what a nuclear
torepode ripple RADIATION effects would have on marine life and human life too!
By your science,you would have everybody and every thing LIT UP, even the shrimp and crabs would be glowing and be deformed like three legged frogs hahaha.
ahhhh - whats a "torepode" lol
the troll

Minneapolis, MN

#63 May 31, 2010
whatever wrote:
How’s that community organizer working out for ya?
Send in the Squeaky one. She'll fix it while she keeps an eye on the Ruskies. wink, wink. The plan's in the palm of her hand!

Since: Feb 08

Baldwin City, KS

#64 May 31, 2010
I hate to confuse the debate with facts, but:

The Gulf's largest spill was in 1979, when the Ixtoc I platform off Mexico's Yucatan peninsula blew up and released 140 million gallons of oil. But that was in relatively shallow water and much of the oil stayed on the surface where it broke down naturally and was less toxic when it finally reached the Texas coast.

Crude oil leaks naturally from thousands ofsmall cracks in the Gulf floor; (about 20 million gallons every year, or as much as the current BP leak to date, or two Exxon Valdez spills, according to a 2000 report from government and academic researchers. Microbes that live in the water break down the oil naturally and we never even notice.

There are nearly 350 quintillion gallons of water in the oceans.(that's 350,000,000,000,000,000,000), or 350 billion BILLION gallons. All the oil ever pumped by humans since time began is hardly a "drop in the bucket".
marty costello

Saint Paul, MN

#65 May 31, 2010
Bob the Bilderberg wrote:
<quoted text>
Because the well head is a mile under water. Those methods have never been tried that deep before.
You need to nuke the well head with a submarine-launched nuclear torpedo. This can be done from a safe distance and with pin-point accuracy. I'm a former submarine sailor. I know it could be done if the politicians (Obama) had any guts.
I heard of nuclear warheads on missiles but never on a torpedo!
redeemer

Saint Paul, MN

#66 May 31, 2010
felix wrote:
<quoted text> ahhhh - whats a "torepode" lol
So what is a ahhhh? lol please define you rat(WHATEVER)
I can't seem to find that word in my dictionary.

“Celebrate Liberty and Freedom”

Since: Sep 09

Mpls

#68 May 31, 2010
Obama should give back the $700,000 donation from BP for his campaign
Bob the Bilderberg

Minneapolis, MN

#69 May 31, 2010
marty costello wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard of nuclear warheads on missiles but never on a torpedo!
The Mark 45 anti-submarine torpedo (aka ASTOR) was a weapon of the United States Navy designed for submarine launch against high-speed, deep-diving enemy submarines. The W34 nuclear warhead used in ASTOR had an explosive yield of 11 kilotons. Development of ASTOR was completed in 1960 and it entered service in 1963.
the troll

Minneapolis, MN

#70 Jun 1, 2010
Tank Murdoch wrote:
Obama should give back the $700,000 donation from BP for his campaign
You should realize he took less than all the other candidates. And quit whinning about a darkee in the watt hous.
the troll

Minneapolis, MN

#71 Jun 1, 2010
THE GOVERNMENT SOLUTION IS BLOW UP THE COAST WITH A NUCLEAR WARHEAD! Gee, that ought to take some of the focus off BP's screw up and put any negative outcome firmly on the black president.....Great Plan you war loving, Obama hatin krakkerzzz

Since: Apr 08

Twin Cities

#72 Jun 1, 2010
"He said there were no serious problems the day the rig exploded."

That's an incredible line to end on. Obviously, there was a most serious problem the day the rig exploded, but they have yet to figure out what it specifically was that set off the explosion. There were several known problems existing in the weeks and months prior to the deadly explosion, so narrowing it down shouldn't be too difficult.
Sweetpea

Silver Spring, MD

#73 Jun 20, 2010

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#74 Jun 25, 2010
It will leak for another 1-2 months until they finish drilling the 2 relief wells, penetrate the old wellbore, and plug the leak from below. Whatever they have been doing so far has only been to show the media and the government that "they are doing something".
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Mandeville, LA

#75 Jun 29, 2010
Bob the Bilderberg wrote:
<quoted text>
The Mark 45 anti-submarine torpedo (aka ASTOR) was a weapon of the United States Navy designed for submarine launch against high-speed, deep-diving enemy submarines. The W34 nuclear warhead used in ASTOR had an explosive yield of 11 kilotons. Development of ASTOR was completed in 1960 and it entered service in 1963.
Too much methane, it would go from being a disaster to a catastrophe of epic proportions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Covington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Marijuana - Mandeville, LA (Aug '10) Apr 18 Jason 36
Charlie sinopoli (Nov '12) Apr 17 Michelle 19
News Abita Springs hosted annual Whole Town Garage S... Apr 7 Superlite 1
News Scoot: Who is buying the Strawberry Fest poster? Mar 31 Oh No You Di-nt 1
Review: Lakewood Veterinary Hospital - Chris Ca... Mar '15 1heartbrokenowner 1
Covington police give drivers $100 bills instea... Dec '14 Smeefy 1
Some Band Called LA Wanted? Oct '14 Covington1 2
More from around the web

Covington People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE