Comments
1 - 14 of 14 Comments Last updated Sep 8, 2012
PJC

Columbus, OH

#1 Aug 29, 2012
I am fascinated by the old hotel that can be seen close to the bridge crossing the river, on I 75. I would like to know the history of this building. It has a for sale sign,however, the number can not be read from the highway. I also love the old row houses that can be seen from the highway.
Info

United States

#2 Aug 30, 2012
The old hotel is the denlou, on Dixie Hwy, park hills, ky. It is a run down, closed bout 3 years ago. It used to be in the early days a nice place... you can reserch it in the archives for it's past and better days,
PJC

Cleveland, OH

#3 Aug 30, 2012
Thank you. I will research it. I am sure it was really something in it's hay day. Would love to see photos of it. I may drive closer to have a better look next time I travel 75. Thanks again.
Just my 2 cents

Louisville, KY

#4 Sep 3, 2012
This is the Denlou
http://www.nkyviews.com/kenton/kenton107.jpg

This is the Quality Inn
http://www.nkyviews.com/kenton/kenton1400.jpg

This is where these were copied from.
nkyviews.com/kenwww.ton/kenton1400.htm
PJC

Plymouth, MI

#5 Sep 4, 2012
The hotel I am referring to is not the DenLou, that is a motel. This is a very large hotel that can be seen just before the bridge. It has been vacant for a long time and looks like it was very nice in its day. It is very run down and has a for sale sign on it, however, you can not read it very well from I75.
Just my 2 cents

Louisville, KY

#6 Sep 5, 2012
What side of the highway? Go to Google maps for covington and look at the satellite view and give us some street names. I'm drawing a blank on any old run down hotels in Covington.
I will be driving right past there for the next couple of days. My normal work commute doesn't send me across the river.
PJC

Howell, MI

#7 Sep 5, 2012
It is on the East side of I75, shortly before you come to the bridge, from Kentucky. I will be driving through there this afternoon and may get off the interstate and check it out. Seems like I am always in a hurry when traveling through there. Will check out street names and let you know. I would like to know the history of the hotel.
God Bless

Ft Mitchell, KY

#8 Sep 5, 2012
Info wrote:
The old hotel is the denlou, on Dixie Hwy, park hills, ky. It is a run down, closed bout 3 years ago. It used to be in the early days a nice place... you can reserch it in the archives for it's past and better days,
Sorry you have the wrong locale! Its not the Denlou, and that can't be seen from the 175 bridge.
Just my 2 cents

Louisville, KY

#10 Sep 5, 2012
I believe you are talking about the old Bavarian Brewery building. That's the only structure I seen today that resembles what you are describing. The brewery has been long gone but the building was used as a nightclub for a few years up until a few years back. Someone was supposed to open a micro brewery there but it never happened. We have lost alot of old buildings in the past and I suspect someone will level this one soon. Buy it!!!!!! I'll donate my old time beer stuff for decorations. Hire me and I'll be your friend for life.
Just my 2 cents

Louisville, KY

#11 Sep 5, 2012
Heres some info on the building.

http://www.abandonedonline.net/industry/bavar...
Just my 2 cents

Louisville, KY

#12 Sep 5, 2012
Here's what it looked like long ago..
http://www.nkyviews.com/kenton/kenton1490.htm
PJC

United States

#13 Sep 6, 2012
Thank you so much for the information, it was very interesting. I did think it was a hotel and had no idea that it's former life was as a brewery. I came through there on Wed. and was going to drive past it, but missed the exit, so continued up the hill and did not turn around.
I have also noticed all of the other old vacant buildings along I75, in the Cinn. area. I would love to go through these old buildings. It is just such a shame that so very many of these buildings are being demolished. We have become such a disposable society, only in America do you see such waste.
If I ever win the lottery I will purchase these old fascinating buildings, hire you, re-purpose them, and make tons of money.
What about the old distillery on the other side of Cinn? It just closed within the last year or so. Did they build a new facility?
I would like to spend some time in Cinn., researching some of these buildings. Soon they will all be gone and that piece of history will vanish with them.
Thank you so much for your help and information. I appreciate your time and effort.
Just my 2 cents

Louisville, KY

#14 Sep 6, 2012
It's strange to roll past it and not smell them cooking up batches. Here is an artical about it shutting down.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2011/0...
PJC

United States

#15 Sep 8, 2012
Thanks for the information, and yes it does seem strange not to have that smell in that area. I remember the smells of a Heinz plant and a Cains potato chip plant, which are both gone now. The Heinz plant was a smell related to fall when they were making ketchup.
There are so many old factories in the Cinn. area, which will soon be torn down. I can see many of them as I drive on I75. Another interesting one is very close to the split and sits on the West side of the highway. It is very tall and close to the highway. It is another of those fascinating structures from the past.
Then, of course, there are all of the old row houses. I did hear that people are starting to purchase these houses and refurbish them. I hope so.
If you travel I75, have you also noticed all of the new buildings that are vacant, especially between Cinn. and Dayton? I'm certainly not convinced that the economy is improving. If there are so many along the highway, I am certain that many more are vacant within the cities.
Thanks again for all of your information, it is very helpful.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Covington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 15 min no way 2,206
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 15 min Obama Zombies 151,577
Prostitutes In Florence (Jul '12) 1 hr BOB 48
Ft. Thomas to discuss end for pit bull ban 3 hr gimme a break 5
TEA PARTY idiots Brian Painter, Charlie Coleman... 4 hr Lampe is A liar 42
Samantha Ramsey, 19, Shot Dead by Kentucky Deputy 5 hr Oooooooooo 48
be nice 8 hr Bible tells u gol... 2
•••
•••
•••

Covington Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••