Letters to the editor: Avoiding bankruptcy

High praise is due the West Covina City Council for cutting police and fire costs to avoid bankruptcy. Full Story
Paul

Upland, CA

#1 Jun 7, 2010
It might be time for all cities in the S.G.V. to dismantle thier police and fire,and just contract out to the Los Angeles County Sheriff / fire Departments
Silver Bullet

La Puente, CA

#2 Jun 7, 2010
Paul wrote:
It might be time for all cities in the S.G.V. to dismantle thier police and fire,and just contract out to the Los Angeles County Sheriff / fire Departments
Yeah, great idea!....So, whenever your Uncle Gus has a heart attack, or your 2 year old daughter falls into your nieghbors pool, or your elderly Aunt Mable hears an intruder in the middle of the night, I hope they are ready to wait a half an hour for help.
Broke taxpayer

La Canada Flintridge, CA

#3 Jun 7, 2010
Maybe the cities in the SGV could look at forming a SGV police and fire dept. County services come with lots of promises of money savings, but it never works out that way. About the only cuts citizens see is in response time and services. The county is a lazy negotiator and they pass on all increases to contract citizens. They have no personal incentive to keep down costs. While everyone else was getting laid off or took pay and benefit cuts, the L.A. County fire dept. got a better deal.
paul

Upland, CA

#4 Jun 8, 2010
Silver Bullet wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, great idea!....So, whenever your Uncle Gus has a heart attack, or your 2 year old daughter falls into your nieghbors pool, or your elderly Aunt Mable hears an intruder in the middle of the night, I hope they are ready to wait a half an hour for help.
As long as my taxes stay low! I didn't like uncle gus anyway.
PJP

Pomona, CA

#5 Jun 8, 2010
Broke taxpayer wrote:
Maybe the cities in the SGV could look at forming a SGV police and fire dept. County services come with lots of promises of money savings, but it never works out that way. About the only cuts citizens see is in response time and services. The county is a lazy negotiator and they pass on all increases to contract citizens. They have no personal incentive to keep down costs. While everyone else was getting laid off or took pay and benefit cuts, the L.A. County fire dept. got a better deal.
What a bunch of "BS"! If you don't like county services then you and silver bullet should quit crying and live with cuts, layoffs and furloughs. This county has the best law enforcement and fire services and they are both known worldwide for their training and expertice. Say what you want, it's your opinion and you are entitled to it, but don't bash the county. If the county's service was so bad, as you both infer, the cities that contract for these services would contract with someone else. They don't because the service is good and the price is fair. 40 of the 88 incorporated cities in L.A. County contract with the Sheriff for police services and 50 or more cities contract with county fire for services. I'm sure the rich cities of Malibu or Santa Clarita or Cerritos can afford their own police or fire services, but they and others continue to contract with the county. Some cities have left for political reasons, but it has never been for poor service or high costs.
Debt loads

La Puente, CA

#6 Jul 18, 2012
The California City of Compton, a city of 93,000 people must decide by September 1, 2012 whether to file for bankruptcy.

This move would see Compton join a growing number of deficit strangled California cities that have used the chapter 9 filing to restructure excessive city debt loads.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Covina Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Greg Tuttle to open Adult Club 6 min Reporter 7
Ricardio Pacheco Under Investigation for Campai... 15 min Gasoline 5150 9
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 31 min Trojan 28,703
Prostitution sting in Pomona nets 20 arrests (Mar '10) 43 min Baddie 196
Do not offend them Muslims 2 hr ranged in 3
Lunitics run Glendora California 2 hr flaming Leech Tes... 6
Tullis' body remains in coroner's custody (Mar '07) 2 hr turn a page 52

Covina News Video

Covina Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Covina People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]