Taxpayers question snow plows for light snow

Full story: WPRI Providence and Rhode Island

With light snow, why plows? Taxpayers question plow preps for Sunday's flurrie Last Edited: Monday, 08 Dec 2008, 12:27 AM EST Created On: Monday, 08 Dec 2008, 12:27 AM EST Bill Tomison Marilyn Schairer - Snow ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of21
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Alidad

Providence, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2008

Judged:

I personally would rather see a story about ppl complaining about plows being out than one where the plows were idle and there was a bad accident and everyone wanted the heads of the State and local DPW's on a platter.
In the State of RI its a catch 22 for anyone in those positions.......
Pops40k

Cranston, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2008

While I can understand the feelings about this during tough times, on the other hand if the weather reports were only off by a few inches, many times it's too late to get started if you use the wait an see approach.

From the way I've seen this state react to things over the past few years, if they use the wait an see attitude, inevitibly they are going to be wrong once, then everyone starts talking about investigations on how this slip could have happened. Now, most likely with last years events still fresh on the mind, they take a proative stance and still catch it.
marie

Providence, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2008

I saw trucks out in the overnight they were just sanding/salting not plowing. If anything was to happen to anyone you know.You would be asking why weren't they prepared.
JEC

Gloucester, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2008

Judged:

Not only is it a waste of time for dusting of snow to plow,but when they plow when there is nothing to plow they ruin the cutting edge on snowplow blade which is gonna cst more money to repair/replace
RF in RI

Providence, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2008

Judged:

It's funny these people complain about the plows being out. I like many were out that morning and found that they were sanding the streets. I am willing to bet that the two I saw on the news last night would have been some of the first to complain if they got into an accident on slippery roads because the state stayed in instead of sanding.
Carol

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2008

Judged:

There comments below make absolutely no sense what so ever! To Dana Nolfe of the RIDOT: I would like this office to address how any Rhode Islander would be injured when there is less than a dusting of snow on the ground! Please tell the extremely upset taxpayers your 'several reasons why' the state plow trucks were out...

RIDOT spokeswoman Dana Nolfe told Eyewitness News, "Safety is the department's number one priority, and we would rather be overzealous than have someone be injured on the roadways."
Nolfe said there are several reasons why the state plow trucks were out, making several passes and pre-treating roads with salt.

Providence's director of the DPW, John Nicholson, also sent out plows Sunday morning during what he deemed "slippery conditions." Nicholson said taxpayers second-guess his department's decisions all the time, adding the departments have to be proactive to stay ahead of the changing conditions.
In the end, regarding the RIDOT and Providence's DPW; the taxpayers of this state were NEVER second guessing these department(s) decisions. The taxpayers of this state could not understand how our taxes could go toward financing such a stupid cause. There was no danger! The state plows did not need to plow all morning... They did not need to salt the roads all morning... They did not need to sand the roads all morning...It was just a huge waste of time; and money.

If this state goes off the ledge because of a dusting of snow...What are they going to do...What are their actions going to be when we really need to clear our roads due to a Blizzard! Will they be able to accomplish the task before them? Or, will the task be more than they can handle?
Buzzy Smith

Cumberland, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2008

Not only were they 'plowing' bare ground in North Smithfield, but there were two state ten wheel plows roaring up and down time and again. I assume the one following behind and sucking up fuel was there for safety reasons to help the lead plow in case it got stuck in a huge drift!!!
Complaining, however, is a complete waste of time. DOT will do as it pleases because there is no one overseeing or controlling them. The comments in the article make it quite clear that they simply shrug off 'second guessing' and do what they want anyway. It is not their money and there is no incentive to control costs.
Buzzy Smith

Cumberland, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2008

marie wrote:
I saw trucks out in the overnight they were just sanding/salting not plowing. If anything was to happen to anyone you know.You would be asking why weren't they prepared.
There is a big difference between sanding and two large trucks pushing steel blades across bare roads both wasting fuel and wearing down the equipment for nothing.
Buzzy Smith

Cumberland, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2008

marie wrote:
Point well taken, however, you fail to explain why the trucks 'continued' to plow bare ground hours after it was obvious that we were not getting buried in snow. It might have been wise to have them out there initially, but keeping them out there wasting $$ and wearing down equipment is unacceptable.
john

Providence, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2008

plowing a "DUSTING" of snow makes perfect sense to me...it will give them practice for when we have a storm like last year...remember what a great job they did then...UNBELIVABLE...
Lisa

Warwick, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2008

I think that we should trust our DOT and DPW Directors to do what is necessary for the safety of all taxpayers!! These decision makers are in a no win situation and I think that we should stop criticizing them. Last December they were criticized for not going out soon enough!!! Come on people.....lets look for REAL waste of taxpayer dollars!!!!
Geminix62

Palo Alto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2008

Judged:

I also like many other Rhoder Islanders asked that most famous question........ why the plows? When they are truely needed there are now in sight. A plow went by me on Westminster Street in the Armory district about 12 pm - no snow, nor ice to be seen. So again I questioned the judgement of our so called heads of state and office. It is a shame that a single snowflake will cost the RI residents thousands of dollars. This is most liekly the beginning of the nonsense speeding that will not be necessary. As always this is just a way to justify spending where it is not needed.

Since: Dec 08

Providence

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2008

I also like many other Rhoder Islanders asked that most famous question........ why the plows? When they are truely needed there are none in sight. A plow went by me on Westminster Street in the Armory district about 12 pm - no snow, nor ice to be seen. So again I questioned the judgement of our so called heads of state and office. It is a shame that a single snowflake will cost the RI residents thousands of dollars. This is most liekly the beginning of the nonsense speeding that will not be necessary. As always this is just a way to justify spending where it is not needed.
DSR

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2008

Times are tough for everyone but I'd rather have the plows out maintaining a safe road for us to travel on. I bet the people who complained about the plowing would be the first ones to jump on the DOT if their family or friends were injured because of unsafe conditions.
SAM ADDAMS

Mapleville, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2008

Plows are always on the trucks. Whether its for sanding or plowing. Its a lot easier to have them on all the time. Public dont make a big deal out of this. RIDOT has been doing this for years. I know i use to work there for many years. Just to let the guy in warren know northern ri had almost 2 inches and they had vendors on. So lighten up. If your unemployed then get yourself a cdl class b with air brakes and join tie RIDOT forces. if you think you can do a better job. They are hiring. Just last December the public was crying that RIDOT wasnt out there and i know for a fact that they were. It just started snowing at the worst possible time. IT IS WHAT IT IS...
Judy

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2008

So, Mr. Nicholson thinks that the taxpayers second-guess his decisions all the time, does he? Perhaps that's because like me, they see snow plows STILL out on the road this morning Mon 12/8/08 24 hrs AFTER the dusting of snow fell. We are all aware of where our tax dollars are being wasted.
Padding up the pay check before your retirement??
Lester

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2008

State workers - Damned if you do, damned if you don't!! We can't win with the taxpayers, complain, complain, complain!!! Nothing better to do!!! I'm sure the taxpayers earn every dollar they make, without anyone always second guessing them.

Wait till they need the State services that were cut and the State workers are not there, again, we're damned if we do, damned if we don't!!!
Matt

Fall River, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2008

I myself am a snow plow driver. I have three trucks that plow for the state of Massachusetts, and one of my trucks did get called out. The trucks were called out to salt the roads and to clear the slush from the breakdown lane and the highspeed lane off the road. In case no one noticed, that night it became very cold and everything froze, if the plows and sanders didn't get that slush off the road and salt the roads, the highways and city streets would have been one huge ice skating rink. And then all you people would be complaining about how the state didn't treat the roads to prevent the accidents. I suggest that everyone go about their lives and leave the snow control to those of us who have been doing all our lives. No matter if we are out there early or if we're out late, someone always has an issue. I say just go on with your life and let us do our jobs. No one heard of any major accidents sunday did they? Didn't think so.
Kate

East Greenwich, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2008

Well half the time, like today, the streets need to be plowed, and never get touched out where I live.

Since: Dec 08

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2008

Judged:

Lester wrote:
State workers - Damned if you do, damned if you don't!! We can't win with the taxpayers, complain, complain, complain!!! Nothing better to do!!! I'm sure the taxpayers earn every dollar they make, without anyone always second guessing them.
Wait till they need the State services that were cut and the State workers are not there, again, we're damned if we do, damned if we don't!!!
McDonalds is hiring.......
perhaps McDonald customers dont complain as much as taxpayers

BE happy you still have a job in this economy
many DONT

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of21
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Coventry Discussions

Search the Coventry Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
DEM: Stolen bows may have been sold online Sat Yankee 1
Over 2,500 without power in three RI communities Jul 8 bert 1
Gay snapchat (Oct '13) Jul 5 hornygayboi12 29
Single and Bar Scene not for You? Try the Book ... Jul 4 Petal Power 1
anyone wanna skype? (Mar '13) Jul 3 Shay 9
2 children, 3 adults injured after serious acci... Jun 27 Fran Minei 1
Review: I Love Kickboxing Cranston Jun 21 kristen orsini 8
•••
•••