DCF Vs. Parents: Unfair Tactics? -- C...

DCF Vs. Parents: Unfair Tactics? -- Courant.com

There are 228 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Jul 15, 2007, titled DCF Vs. Parents: Unfair Tactics? -- Courant.com. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Three years after a Superior Court judge chastised the Department of Children and Families for deliberately distorting facts in a child abuse and neglect case, concerns about the agency's fairness toward ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

jeffery warden

Clearwater, FL

#236 Apr 24, 2011
pleease help me. dcf are trying to take my kids. [email protected]
Still fighting after12yrs

Winter Springs, FL

#237 Apr 26, 2011
In 1999 my ex mother in law (an ex orlando police officer who was dating an orange county sheriff deputy at the time) had filed a false report against me I was only 17 and had 2 sons. Her son and I split up and we had a very off and on and domestically violent relationship (never around or involving the kids). I would split up with him and he would come back (on his own and at his mother's request) making it terribly hard for me to 1. get away from him. 2. get my children back throughout the case. We were told we were not allowed to have our children alone so we left them at my mother's home and one day my ex bought me back to my mother's home to see the kids and get some clothes and about 4 minutes later 2 social workers come into the home uninvited without knocking. There were 9 kids living well taken care of in the home at the time. They asked a few questions and told them we came to visit and shower and they then announced that they were going to remove my 2 children from the home without a warrant, they did not report to me that there was a court date the next day and my newborn son went straight to my ex's mom while my older son (not his)went into foster care. Dcf said I answered questions for them which I didnt and by the second court date one of the 2 case workers that removed my children quit, I later saw him at a community college I attended and he seemed scared to be speaking with me. They claimed I was a drug addict addicted to cocaine and out of the 4 years the case went on I never tested positive for any cocaine. I was pregnant with my daughter (they took her after telling my halfway house caseworker by letter that I was allowed to leave the transitional house with my daughter without the dcf getting involved I have a letter that states this, my ex mother in law rejected her as her grandaughter and I dont know where she is). Now toward the end of the 4 year battle my 3rd state/court appointed attorney who was also the mayor of a city here in Florida told me that I should give up the rights to my 3 oldest because if I went to trial I would lose all 4 of my kids. The 1 atty I had prior to this mayor/lawyer had bonded with me and could no longer accept the case then much later she ended up going to prison for welding a gun at her landlord not 1 atty they gave me informed me of my rights pushed for me to get my kids and everyone completely left my mom out of the picture due to her being blind but she raised 5 kids on her own! Now to jump to the present times my rights were terminated I am remarried and have had contact with my oldest son for a long time up until 2 years ago, he recently contacted me and was allowed to speak with me for 9 days then suddenly the foster mom flipped out cut-off contact and allowed him to read the lies set against me and things dcfs said I said. I have no idea where my daughter is (Ive even written a letter to Jeb Bush about this) and the son this all started with is where my ex's mother in law wanted him to be, up until a year or 2 ago my son has been raised to believe his grandma is his mom, his dad is his uncle and his aunt is his sister he now believes he was adopted and still does not know who they all really are. I recently came to the conclusion as I got older that my ex fed his mother information and then she would make the situations seem a lot worse by adding her own twist when creating the reports against me and kept himself around so his mom could keep our son. Im 29 now and am still trying to find a way to save my kids from the lies they will hear and read as my oldest recently has. I'm currently writing a book about my dcf encounter but, if anyone would like to help me with topics and or legal statements about what they know about the deceit of Florida's dcf corruption feel free to write me at [email protected] Thank You!!!
in agreement

Groton, CT

#238 May 1, 2011
Money talks wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, tell us, where is your OTHER child or children? And before you award yourself the mother-of-the-year award, also tell us why you would get pregnant again, knowing that DCF will probably remove that child and place him in foster care? Why would you do that to a child?
Im definitely not looking for a mother of the year award, I have waited eleven years to have this child. I promised after I quit using that I would never have a child unless I was ready. I am married now and have put a lot of consideration into having this baby. I didn't get pregnant blindly. I've been working with psychologists and substance abuse councelers for a few years now before deciding to have a child . My main question is, why don't I deserve a second chance on life? In my search for myself, I have come across women, or should I call them girls, who have been in similar situations as far as substance abuse history goes and havent even had to jump through some of the hoops i have for DCF and they have their babies? I have an ex friend who was letting her 8 year old son sleep with a pedaphile everynight because he paid her rent and when DCF was notified, they said unless it was physically witnessed and because the mother scared the boy into not telling , he had to remain in that sick situation. Fortunately, the truth finally came out and about two years ago the pedephile committed suicide because his dirty dark secret world was unraveling. I just hurt because I honestly, I don't know why you cant believe it to be sincere, want to do right. I want to start my life over and learn from the mistakes I already made and want that second chance. My son lives with my mother thanks to god. She also knows that i'm trying to do right. Im not perfect and never will be, but I do want to do the best I can now, I just don't understand why some people are given a second, third, fourth chance but I cant. I feel like I am forever labeled. I didnt get pregnant thinking DCF would take the baby away, they told me from the beginning that they werent going to, but since working with them they said that they will file a petition of premeditated neglect because of my past. They have lied to me throughout this whole ordeal and they are not trust worthy people. They told me last week even that they don't intend on taking the baby but I DONT TRUST THEM. I guess you'd have to be in my shoes to understand. If I thought or knew they were going to take the baby, I wouldn't have gone through all of this and gotten pregnant. That's why it took me so long to decide to concieve, because DCF said that everything was fine. I want to believe them and I should be able to take them for their word but I don't. I was just posting my feelings, thank you for your reply.
Money talks

West Hartford, CT

#239 May 2, 2011
in agreement wrote:
<quoted text>
Im definitely not looking for a mother of the year award, I have waited eleven years to have this child. I promised after I quit using that I would never have a child unless I was ready.
Well, according to your FIRST post in March, you were clean and sober for a year, and expecting a baby in May. So that means you were clean and sober for five whole months before you got pregnant. Does that give you any clues? Blah, blah, blah about them telling you they wouldn't take the baby. Anyone who cared about their baby wouldn't take the risk. You risked a pregnancy after a long history of drug abuse and having had your first child removed from you...you took a gamble with your child's well-being, and the child lost. Not you. You go on and on about "poor me" when it is your CHILD who will pay the price for your stupid choices. Do people deserve a second chance? Sure they do, when they have proven themselves...5 sober months proves nothing. I feel sorry for your child and hope he finds a wonderful foster home. And I hope you get your tubes tied.
Britt

Spring Hill, FL

#240 May 18, 2011
I have been going through this with DCF for almost a year, They are getting me through COMPLETE hell, They took my daughter from me because of someone called the hotline saying i was using drugs, Al though i past my drug test they STILL took her, Now I'm pregnant again with my second child due in about 2 weeks if not less they are trying to take my unborn child now because what?
They can't till me i have done my entire case plan and have a beautiful home for my girls and they have yet to come out and do my homestudy but yet they went and did the homestudy to her grand parents house which is where they want to place my unborn child
They are telling people of arent apart of my case at all things they arent even telling me i cna't take it anymore i'm going crazy and this is what they want, though everyday i wake up i think about my little girl who i miss SOOOOO much, and that is what keeps me going i WILL not give up
Money talks

West Hartford, CT

#241 May 20, 2011
Britt wrote:
I have been going through this with DCF for almost a year, They are getting me through COMPLETE hell, They took my daughter from me because of someone called the hotline saying i was using drugs, Al though i past my drug test they STILL took her, Now I'm pregnant again with my second child due in about 2 weeks if not less they are trying to take my unborn child now because what?
They can't till me i have done my entire case plan and have a beautiful home for my girls and they have yet to come out and do my homestudy but yet they went and did the homestudy to her grand parents house which is where they want to place my unborn child
They are telling people of arent apart of my case at all things they arent even telling me i cna't take it anymore i'm going crazy and this is what they want, though everyday i wake up i think about my little girl who i miss SOOOOO much, and that is what keeps me going i WILL not give up
Here's another loser who gets pregnant knowing the kid is going to be taken away at birth. What a crappy thing to do to your kid.
life ripped apart

Shawnee, OK

#242 May 21, 2011
if you give me your e-mail we can talk big time......
Justice Seeker wrote:
Why is no one protesting at the dcf headquaters?
I would love to start a movement if others are willing to do the right thing with me.
Lets bring this issue to a head once in for all, for the sake of the children.
Anyone who is willing to do the right thing please post back and lets get the ball rolling.
The internet is a great tool for bringing this together. post back and lets make this happen.
anyone who like my email address is welcome to it. We can then put togther a email list of everyone who wants to do the right thing, and pick a date to get out there and demand changes. The media will be our biggest ally in this.
Don't just complain about it, lets act on it for the childrens sake....
life ripped apart

Shawnee, OK

#243 May 21, 2011
i have had my whole life completely ripped apart by DCF ....
anyone who wants to talk i can be reached at [email protected]
Money talks

West Hartford, CT

#244 May 21, 2011
life ripped apart wrote:
It's all about you, isn't it? YOUR life has been ripped apart? What about your child's life?
Morti

Essex Junction, VT

#245 Jun 27, 2011
Money talks wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you spend your life (and your money) trying to get your kid back? You caused the problem, you fix it.
Not everyone causes their own "problems"....They may have illnesses that are beyond their control and that some people are not always on the up and up. DCF acts like they are "on your side", but in retrospect, they are in it for the numbers. While states are getting rid of jobs, they are on the chopping block. If they don't carry a certain number of cases, they are gone....In alot of the cases that I know, there are a few people who actually NEED their kids taken and they have them at home. There are people who are unjustly "taken." Too many times, kids are left in homes where the abusive behaviours are clear and DCF will "work" with the parents to keep them there. When they make a "mistake" and the parent is vindicated, DCF will not apologize or make amends. There is a point where one must say, I will fight until the end for my kids and myself. Only you and God know what you and/or someone in your home has or has not done. While I agree that DCF sometimes needs to step in, the cases are not always the same. They need to take each case and assess what is the best way to help. There are some DCF people who are just born to make others miserable and some that are the best in the field. That comes with every job. I hope that everyone who has DCF in their cases, can and will make the best of it. No matter what, the kids need someone who is willing to fight for them.
Morti

Essex Junction, VT

#246 Jun 27, 2011
FOSTER MOM wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the only way that things are going to jingle.How do we start? I have probably more horror stories from the children themselves as the age out of the system and are reunited with the parents they were taken from. The system failed them.

I have thought about that....I am in the same area as you....
suemarievachon

Coventry, CT

#247 Jul 8, 2011
they let child killers go free cops that assault women keep their jobs and dcf kill kids too shut them down
sick of injustice

AOL

#248 Jul 8, 2011
suemarievachon wrote:
they let child killers go free cops that assault women keep their jobs and dcf kill kids too shut them down
the justice system is all wrong corrupt, and destroying morals of humanity, when you fight them and prove they are liars they get so pissed, if its about reunity kids back with familys then why do alot of cases continue on for no reason other then gov collecting paychecks off our children!
Kassi

Temple, TX

#250 Dec 2, 2011
D CAMPOS wrote:
<quoted text>
DEAR ATTORNEY:
I am looking for a David that wants to go against Goliath. I want people that want to strike infront of the Manchester building and make our voice heard. DCF has my kids for a year. I have done everything that have told me to do or they pay for. They are suppose to pay for some counseling it has taking them 6 month to get that service in place. Off course before we go to trail so they can said mom has not complited the services. I have been discriminate, insulted and humilated. They want my fiance to leave me so that he can get our 3 year old. You should see all the complaints I send and no one listen. My 3 year old in a boster seat because DCF did not have a 5 piont hardeness or could not buy one. 9 complaints on that end then they got one. My 11 year old has a scar from the Village and Families place from a staff that shuve him to the ground, another stich her nails in his skin. Another day he came to me with a busted lip from the same staff member. You should see what I am going thru. But the first Attorney Brian Griffen took my money did not do a Damm thing and everytime I ask him to file a motion he said" let me talk to DCF Like they where the ones paying. I have a public defender she is good but I need a good Attorney that can be David and confront them with me. That is going to help me anf let me pay slowly but can go after DCF Manchester for their abuse. I need the state to be investigated. How can I get help when even the legislator Chris Perone try to get involve and no one listens. Now they File TPR and I have no mental Issues, No drug Issues and have done what I was told. How can I expose my case???? Help Please????? If anyone Knows a good Attorney that can be david e-mail me at: [email protected] Thank You So Much. May God and my Siete Potencias be with all that are going thru the same I am in.
I'm going through Exactly what your going through. I thought I was alone.
searching for help

Torrington, CT

#251 Jan 21, 2012
does anyone know of a lawyer in the torrington area?? one who can do payment plans with me? im making decent money but still have the normal bills i can relate to other but i also feel i have a very unique case ( that i dont wish to discuss over the internet)
so if anybody knows of a good lawyer willing to help me out i have a very sturdy case i just cantr seem to get the judge to see the law my right as a american and instead my case has been based on "personal feelings" and "predictive danger" please email me if you have any advice of who to call or what to do or a lawyer who can help please email me [email protected]
mat

AOL

#252 Feb 15, 2012
life ripped apart wrote:
could someone email me that is still having problems or can assist me with some issues i need help [email protected]
SICKOFDCF

Brooklyn, CT

#253 Mar 13, 2012
I am currently involved with DCF. My son was removed at the hospital because a nurse called because I had massachusetts insurance and delivered in CT. She found it "fishy" and thought she would call because she thought we were fleeing from the law when that was not the case at all. We lived in a hotel in Manchester. From the minute that DCF came to the hospital they have done nothing but twist our words and make it out to be like we were bad people. Neither one of us do drugs. My boyfriend drinks but he is 25 years old. They gave us our case plan and we have followed it to the T. counseling, parenting classes, visits, court dates, etc. We are still fighting with DCF to have our son returned home. They say their goal is renuification but everything we have done is not good enough for them they continue to find reasons to keep him from coming home with us. They had us doing drug tests and we came back negative with every single one of them so they discontinued them. It has been a rough fight with them and we don't know what else we can do! we feel that they're terrorizing us when its not needed! there are way worst people out there who are beating their kids and doing drugs around their children. they're making us out to be horrible people when we really arent! we're first time parents!
doin4mykids

Worcester, MA

#254 Jun 5, 2012
Hi,
My children were removed from my home because I was self medicating with alcohol. I had told Dcf prior to this incident that my insurance was shut off and that I had reapplied in January and desperately needed my medications. My cries for help fell on deaf ears. I had been through an abusive relationship prior to this incident which turned into a hostage situation that ended with my abuser being killed by swat in front of my kids ...which also could've been avoided had Dcf listened to me when I told them about the abuse. Instead they believed him and gave him custody of my two youngest children...the point is my children were removed and I completed blame myself for trying to self medicate but I partly blame them because they fail to listen to people that actually want their help and need their help. Tomorrow I have court. It's been 3 months without my kids and even though I miss them and hope they come home I know I needed to have this time to regroup. I wasn't the parent I was before I went through that tragic situation. I did everything they asked and have been completely honest with my children about the situation and that I am the one at fault. I am hoping to get them back soon and ready as ever. I will post tomorrow what happened at court. Some people should look at themselves and revaluate their lives.
lisa scheck

Norwich, CT

#255 Jul 12, 2012
Hartford College Student wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree completely. But I'd like to add:
I think that it would also help if working conditions were better for the people at DCF.
I'm going to take some heat for this, I know... but it seems like social work is a thankless job any way you cut it. These people are criticized for, essentially, not being thorough in their work on any level. They take short cuts and they don't spend enough time with the kids they're supposed to protect to make a fair or unbiased judgement about the parents they're attacking. Although having a heavy case load is not an excuse for negligence... maybe if the case-load for individual social workers was lessened, they'd be able to do a better job?
As you mentioned, people who go into this kind of work are doing it to serve the public... because, frankly, there's no other incentive. It's crappy and thankless work and you're not going to be paid well.
It always astounds me that people claim that children are our most precious natural resource... but when it comes to funding the services necessary to protect our kids and help parents (teaching, childcare, social work, etc.) people won't put their money where their mouths are. Rather than an excuse, perhaps we should take the arguments of DCF as a symptom of the larger ststematic issue: that the government is not committed to funding the vital services that will help and protect families (and neither are the tax payers).
DCF exists for a reason - to protect the interests of children who are in unstable and possibly dangerous home situations. That's a good thing. The fact that it is mismanaged and employs underpaid, overworked employees who don't have enough time or motivation to do their jobs correctly is the problem. Yes, punish the bad guys who falsify records... but we're punishing people for giving into the stresses of a work environment that we created. I'm not saying that I sympathize more with DCF workers than I do with the families who have suffered at their hands... I simply think that just punishing negligent case workers will not eradicate the problem. Punishment without reforming the system will only lead to less people wanting to get involved in social work - which will stress the remaining workers even more, leaving them with even larger case loads and even more incentives to take short cuts... which will lead to more families victimized by the system.
A drastic overhaul of DCF is called for: both in the area of punishment for negligent workers AND an improvement of work conditions so that social workers will be able to actually do their jobs.
Many of my friends in college want to go into social work. They're good people... committed to helping families. I'm sure every DCF worker starts out that way... what happens to them over the years that makes them turn out to be the bad guys?
i dont think that better conditions n a pay raise will stop them from perjuring themselves.
Courtney

Springfield, NJ

#256 Jul 31, 2012
So if a teenager in DCF custody is pregnant can the child be taken away?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coventry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local Politics Do you approve of Joe Lieberman as U.S. Senator? May '16 lavon affair 2
News Backyard Chickens: More Connecticut Residents R... (Jul '10) Apr '16 Kim 9
News UConn housing plan for black men draws fire Apr '16 Spotted Girl 1
News Gonorrhea treatable in one shot dose (Jul '10) Apr '16 Mavin 7
News Professor analyzes consequences of 'gutted' Vot... Mar '16 Jeremy 2
Storrs Jukebox (Jul '12) Feb '16 Juke Joint Jump 26
City of Coventry Boarding School (Jun '06) Feb '16 ray bothwell 448
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Coventry Mortgages