time for action

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

First, pass a sales tax increase or property tax increase to properly fix all the Florissant streets and roads.

Next, form a citizens Charter review committee and review Florissants 50 year old Charter. If each council person appoints 3 people and the Mayor select 5, that would make for a very good review committee.

Review all the work details and job descriptions of the nearly 300+ employee base.

Upgrade the budget software system so that the city can modernize its record keeping and create a readable and understandable budget system.

Engagee more of the general public in the improvements of Florissant.
become proactive

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

go to council meetings, voice your concerns.

email, writed, fax, or leave voice messages to the mayor and council and the police department.

Florissant belongs to you, reclaim it.
encouragement

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

Encourage all the employees and police to live in Florissant, pay them a bonus for staying in town.

Make it a condition of employment that all department heads MUST live in town.
Management training

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Mandatory Management Training and retraining for all department heads, especially in employee relations and HR, as well as harrasment, etc. The city has the poorest managed administration i have ever seen.
Management training

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

there should be a simple email or electronic communication system set up, so that citizens and businesses can communicate and report problems and concerns, and mandatory that administration and management responds in several business days.
Annual report

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

The city should publish and distribute and Annual Report on the State of the City of Florissant annually, labor stats, finances, income/expense, arrests, tickets issued, park usage, police updates, etc.
This should reported each year in January or February so that the stakeholders in Florissant know what's going on.
Citizen Park patrols

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Form some citizen parks patrols, a group that can visit and report on the Park problems and conditions and possible improvements.
The more eyes seeing and the more feet on the ground will make quick improvements and generate a sense of ownership.
Town Hall meetings

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

the city should offer several open town hall meetings, giving reports on City Hall, administration, police, parks, roads, etc.
Anyone who wants to be

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Annual report wrote:
The city should publish and distribute and Annual Report on the State of the City of Florissant annually, labor stats, finances, income/expense, arrests, tickets issued, park usage, police updates, etc.
This should reported each year in January or February so that the stakeholders in Florissant know what's going on.
..fully informed knows that there are annual reports from FPD listing all the officers, the budget, the crime stats and so forth online. Likewise there is a complete city budget online as well as the breakdown of city departments such as public works. If someone is not able to access online info all they need to do is call city hall to have a copy mailed to them. There is a synopsis of the above sent yearly to all households but the online and/or requested mailings of such is detailed.

The reason a detailed annual city report is not automatically sent to residents should be obvious, most people would just pitch in the trash (hopefully recycle at least). Why should the city use taxes for such expenditures knowing that the majority of citizens only want things done but do not want to take the time to be part of that process?

I know for a fact that the montly newsletter in my neighborhood is considered "junk mail" by most of the residents. The problem is not communication with city administrators (all of whom have email addresses listed including the mayor and police chief); but with the lack of participation by the residents.

You cannot have it both ways. A good government, a safe city and so forth and yet not wanting to take the time to get involved, but choose to sit at a keyboard and complain.
Wow

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

Town Hall meetings wrote:
the city should offer several open town hall meetings, giving reports on City Hall, administration, police, parks, roads, etc.
Why are you suggesting things that are already in place? Residents can go to council meetings and after the established agenda for that meeting is finished they can ask questions.

As far as reportage of the things you address that info is online and it can be obtained at any time by just going down to city hall or calling and asking for it.

I think you need to learn something about the city before you start making suggestions and criticisms.
Beautiful dreamer

Richardson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

Until you can erase the influence of Bob Liary (misspelled purposely), Dick Kellett/Pipefitters Florissant will continue to languish. Schneider, Schmidt, Pagano, Stinnett, Eagan are their lapdogs. Check with the Election Board anyone who has taken money from them is their b4#tch. They may show signs of independence in minor issues but the majority of the time in issues important to their godfathers they toe the line.
My daily prayers request the demise of Lowery and Kellet to final judgement for the good of us all. It is long past time they meet their maker's judgement spend eternity in damnation for their narcissism, self-gratification and greed!
This city had several choices unbeholden to the thugs in the last Mayoral race. Instead they elected a Liary/Kellett puppet. The demise of Florissant is squarely on the voters. The largest voting block, seniors. This group will happily sell their vote, for free bus rides, subsidized lunches, and silly parties instead of voting for someone who will benefit everyone in the City.
Senior part of the greatest generation?(Bah humbug) More like the gimme generation. Don't take me wrong, my father, grandfather and great grandfather were vets but they did not assume they were owed anything for defending their country. It was their duty as citizens and patriots. Every Vet is part of a great generation not just those from WWII!
There is

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Management training wrote:
there should be a simple email or electronic communication system set up, so that citizens and businesses can communicate and report problems and concerns, and mandatory that administration and management responds in several business days.
All you have to do is visit the Florissant City Government page. All the departments have email addresses listed including the mayor and police department.

If you want to sign up for automatic updates of anything happening, crime stats, street repairs, whatever it might be all you have to do is put in you email address.

Geez, do you know anything about the city? It sure doesn't look like it from all your posts.
change can happen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Beautiful dreamer wrote:
Until you can erase the influence of Bob Liary (misspelled purposely), Dick Kellett/Pipefitters Florissant will continue to languish. Schneider, Schmidt, Pagano, Stinnett, Eagan are their lapdogs. Check with the Election Board anyone who has taken money from them is their b4#tch. They may show signs of independence in minor issues but the majority of the time in issues important to their godfathers they toe the line.
My daily prayers request the demise of Lowery and Kellet to final judgement for the good of us all. It is long past time they meet their maker's judgement spend eternity in damnation for their narcissism, self-gratification and greed!
This city had several choices unbeholden to the thugs in the last Mayoral race. Instead they elected a Liary/Kellett puppet. The demise of Florissant is squarely on the voters. The largest voting block, seniors. This group will happily sell their vote, for free bus rides, subsidized lunches, and silly parties instead of voting for someone who will benefit everyone in the City.
Senior part of the greatest generation?(Bah humbug) More like the gimme generation. Don't take me wrong, my father, grandfather and great grandfather were vets but they did not assume they were owed anything for defending their country. It was their duty as citizens and patriots. Every Vet is part of a great generation not just those from WWII!
Voters can make a change, but, they have to stand up and vote for improvement.
Youre Surprised

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you suggesting things that are already in place? Residents can go to council meetings and after the established agenda for that meeting is finished they can ask questions.
As far as reportage of the things you address that info is online and it can be obtained at any time by just going down to city hall or calling and asking for it.
I think you need to learn something about the city before you start making suggestions and criticisms.
Hes just causing shit. Any local knows all the things that this clueless wonder is suggesting are already in place. This person is a malcontent. Just ignore the face of ignorance for what it is.
dysfunctional florissant

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

say what you want, but, most of the council and the mayor ignore your phone calls and emails. most don't respect you, many don't acknowledge you. the department heads are even worse. if you make mention of concerns or problems, you are labled a trouble maker and complainer. this administration does what the mayor wants to do, and not what the voters or people want to do. he is not a good listener, and is a spiteful person. there are many that will agree, but, few will speak up.
Hardhead

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

if you want to improve florissant get rid of sec.8 housing and chase all the blacks out.
Nikki McMillan

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

dysfunctional florissant wrote:
say what you want, but, most of the council and the mayor ignore your phone calls and emails. most don't respect you, many don't acknowledge you. the department heads are even worse. if you make mention of concerns or problems, you are labled a trouble maker and complainer. this administration does what the mayor wants to do, and not what the voters or people want to do. he is not a good listener, and is a spiteful person. there are many that will agree, but, few will speak up.
I assume you are speaking from experience and if so it is unfortunate that you have had such difficulties. I, however, have never encounter any such behavior. My emails have always been answered within ten working days which is the usual for any government and most businesses. Perhaps some people would not consider that a timely manner, but it is pretty much in my experience anyway the norm.

True not all of my concerns have been addressed in the manner I would have liked but most of them have either been resolved or at least "looked at". One in particular I am still concerned about but after having spoken with the city attorney and chief of police I have a better understanding of how the problem needs to be handled.

I still believe very, very few citizens take the time to get involved. As some have said here, I also have been to council meetings and district "town hall" meetings usually held at the Eagan Civic Center and I have never seen more then a dozen or so attendees. And those present are almost always the same people. Unless you are actively involved I don't think you have a legitimate right to complain.
Maybe you have not

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Hardhead wrote:
if you want to improve florissant get rid of sec.8 housing and chase all the blacks out.
considered the fact that blacks are not the only people in Flo or anywhere on Section 8. I know for a fact that there are a lot of seniors in Florissant who qualify for housing assistance because of being on a fixed income. Grandview Apts. does have section 8 tenants and some are black with kids but a lot of them are seniors (probably some black also) and disabled persons.

So where do you suggest those people go if the city bans "8"? You want 70 and 80 year old people on the street or in shelters because they can afford nothing else?

Regardless, Section 8 housing laws are a reality here. The courts ruled years ago in several lawsuits by various agencies against Florissant that the city could not ban section 8 or HUD housing because it was a discriminatory civil rights violation.
Nikki McMillan

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

Maybe you have not wrote:
<quoted text>
considered the fact that blacks are not the only people in Flo or anywhere on Section 8. I know for a fact that there are a lot of seniors in Florissant who qualify for housing assistance because of being on a fixed income. Grandview Apts. does have section 8 tenants and some are black with kids but a lot of them are seniors (probably some black also) and disabled persons.
So where do you suggest those people go if the city bans "8"? You want 70 and 80 year old people on the street or in shelters because they can afford nothing else?
Regardless, Section 8 housing laws are a reality here. The courts ruled years ago in several lawsuits by various agencies against Florissant that the city could not ban section 8 or HUD housing because it was a discriminatory civil rights violation.
And that is pretty much the root of the problem. Many seniors and disabled persons need subsidized housing. And anyone who meets the income guidelines are also eligible for housing assistance. The original intent of the program has been lost and hence those persons who could be labled 'undesirable" (and I don't refer to just blacks) are able to take advantage of the situation.

IMO, subsidized housing in itself is not the real problem. It is the lack of control over the matter. It is a given that many occupants of such property do not abide by the regulations attached to such. And the people who are supposed to be overseeing the matter are not doing the job they are paid to do. And I do believe the Florissant Public Works Dept. is sometimes lax in its duties. On the other hand, if stronger enforcement is done against subsidized housing it will open the door for the city to inspect all other residential properties under the same guidelines. That means interiors as well as exteriors a subject which has came up at several council meetings.

I believe I maintain my property well and above codes in most cases, but still I do not want a housing inspector given legal access to "walk" through my home without due cause. Or anyone for that matter, even though I have nothing to hide.

The situation IMO, is a basic Catch-22 and those who know how to work the system are well aware of that. That's why you have known drug felons, unrelated persons, etc. living in such properties.
TTU

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Nikki McMillan wrote:
<quoted text>
And that is pretty much the root of the problem. Many seniors and disabled persons need subsidized housing. And anyone who meets the income guidelines are also eligible for housing assistance. The original intent of the program has been lost and hence those persons who could be labled 'undesirable" (and I don't refer to just blacks) are able to take advantage of the situation.
IMO, subsidized housing in itself is not the real problem. It is the lack of control over the matter. It is a given that many occupants of such property do not abide by the regulations attached to such. And the people who are supposed to be overseeing the matter are not doing the job they are paid to do. And I do believe the Florissant Public Works Dept. is sometimes lax in its duties. On the other hand, if stronger enforcement is done against subsidized housing it will open the door for the city to inspect all other residential properties under the same guidelines. That means interiors as well as exteriors a subject which has came up at several council meetings.
I believe I maintain my property well and above codes in most cases, but still I do not want a housing inspector given legal access to "walk" through my home without due cause. Or anyone for that matter, even though I have nothing to hide.
The situation IMO, is a basic Catch-22 and those who know how to work the system are well aware of that. That's why you have known drug felons, unrelated persons, etc. living in such properties.
Believe it or not, those armored "tanks" that some police depts. are parking on streets by suspected drug houses seem to work. They may be manned or unmanned and take constant video of the comings and goings. They also use concealed video of the tanks to take down would be vandals.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of53
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Country Club Hills Discussions

Search the Country Club Hills Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 8 hr REAL AMERICAN PATRIOT 95,066
website 10 hr in the dark 5
Best Mayor for Future of Florissant (Dec '13) 10 hr bad bad mayor 313
Message to the Mayor and the Council (Jul '11) 10 hr we are atching 129
Growing up in Glasgow Village (Mar '08) Fri Loved Glasgow Village 59
Walnut Park (Mar '10) Fri flodaddy 174
Woman Watching TV Learns of Her Home's Violent ... Fri Sir Kastic 10
•••

Flood Warning for St Louis County was issued at July 12 at 10:47PM CDT

•••
•••
•••
•••