First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Educated Voter

New Lenox, IL

#43 Dec 30, 2010
30 years in midlo wrote:
The teenager being talked about above I have seen at board meetings, I have worked with him on committees, and I have volunteered with him at events in the village. To suggest he doesn't have more knowledge about the running of our village than someone that has never attended a meeting is unfair criticism.
When I first started attending the village meetings I was very surprised to find the number of people that are involved in the planning and working here. There is a lot of input with a lot of ideas already at work.
I really like seeing people getting involved in the village and would not want to discourage Mr Rybak from doing so. I just wish he knew more about the running of the village before trying to run for office.
Winning a vote because of knowing a lot of people and then getting into office and finding out all of your ideas about how to get new business into the village have been discussed for years already would not be helpful to the village.
Please get involved, I can't encourage that enough. But only doing it so you can have a title isn't the right reason.
And don't underestimate the teenager, get to know him and see what he's doing. His heart is in the right place and he "doesn't know anything about politics." All positive.
Thank you for your comments about my son. I appreciate that at least someone on here got the intent of my posting. I also believe that people should get involved, learn what has been discussed, the pros and cons of the ideas put before the committees and board prior to running for office. That's all I was trying to say.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#44 Dec 30, 2010
Meeting Attender wrote:
I don't know much about this Rybak. Why is everyone so against him? From what I see this whole forum is about him and some teenager. The teenagers vote don't count so why are we even discussing him? I been around this village for about 6 years. I don't own a home. But I do have family that does.From what I was told this town sorry, village has done nothing but deminish. Taxes went up. Obviosly things need a change. I can always rent in another town.But I like the people of Midlothian. The people that are running this town are afraid of change. Anybody or thing that might shift the power out of there hands. I say lets start with someone young who has not yet been corrupted by meetings. A fresh mind willing to say and share his thoughts. Is this Rybak a college grad? Didn't the Park take over Raday from the Village? Wasn't the Village Paying FT employeeto run the Raday? You hear alot at these meetings when you go un-noticed!
I honestly don't know Mr. Rybak at all and I'm certainly not against him. I would even like to commend his desire to help. But the reason the teenager was brought up in the discussion is because he knows more about the running of a village government than somebody that has never even attended a meeting. It just doesn't make good business sense to hire someone for the job of trustee when that person doesn't even know the job description.

Since: Apr 09

Midlothian,Il

#45 Dec 30, 2010
Meeting Attender wrote:
I don't know much about this Rybak. Why is everyone so against him? From what I see this whole forum is about him and some teenager. The teenagers vote don't count so why are we even discussing him? I been around this village for about 6 years. I don't own a home. But I do have family that does.From what I was told this town sorry, village has done nothing but deminish. Taxes went up. Obviosly things need a change. I can always rent in another town.But I like the people of Midlothian. The people that are running this town are afraid of change. Anybody or thing that might shift the power out of there hands. I say lets start with someone young who has not yet been corrupted by meetings. A fresh mind willing to say and share his thoughts. Is this Rybak a college grad? Didn't the Park take over Raday from the Village? Wasn't the Village Paying FT employeeto run the Raday? You hear alot at these meetings when you go un-noticed!
You have your opinion and I respect that but, I will disagree when you say "the Teenagers" vote don't count. BS!!! Every vote counts. Sorry if it seems harsh but far too many of our Soldiers died so we ALL can vote. Whether it be a Teenager or not. Don't sell a lot of our Teenagers short. Not all of them are "nimrods".

5yr Midlo Resident

Midlothian, IL

#46 Dec 31, 2010
WW1 I think he means it LITERALLY doesn't count...like as in under 18 can't vote. I don't think they meant that if this teenager gave an opinion it wouldn't count.

I'm not sure why everyone's in a knot over Rybak's lack of experience. So don't vote for him? Personally, I think it was poor tactic to post in writing that he had so little knowledge about current issues, but at least he was honest ... Dare we say it, honest and politician in the same train of thought.

The point that he has lived here, worked here and volunteered here is very significant. He will need a crash course in the rest, but if you're so dissatisfied with any of the other choices, isn't Rybak at least a better alternative?

Btw, I still say "city" often even though I'm WELL aware we are a village. It's a common 'slip of the tongue' since city is the more prevalent term. I don't think this should be even remotely significant in deciding his candidacy. Come on. He articulated himself pretty well. That should count for more than his slip about the village.

Perhaps too he knows more that he let on but doesn't feel confident enough yet to post it here. Wait til the campaigning really starts and see what he has to say.

I for one don't understand all the bashing. Everybody started out at the same place....a private citizen.

Midlothian,Il

#47 Dec 31, 2010
5yr Midlo Resident wrote:
WW1 I think he means it LITERALLY doesn't count...like as in under 18 can't vote. I don't think they meant that if this teenager gave an opinion it wouldn't count.
I'm not sure why everyone's in a knot over Rybak's lack of experience. So don't vote for him? Personally, I think it was poor tactic to post in writing that he had so little knowledge about current issues, but at least he was honest ... Dare we say it, honest and politician in the same train of thought.
The point that he has lived here, worked here and volunteered here is very significant. He will need a crash course in the rest, but if you're so dissatisfied with any of the other choices, isn't Rybak at least a better alternative?
Btw, I still say "city" often even though I'm WELL aware we are a village. It's a common 'slip of the tongue' since city is the more prevalent term. I don't think this should be even remotely significant in deciding his candidacy. Come on. He articulated himself pretty well. That should count for more than his slip about the village.
Perhaps too he knows more that he let on but doesn't feel confident enough yet to post it here. Wait til the campaigning really starts and see what he has to say.
I for one don't understand all the bashing. Everybody started out at the same place....a private citizen.
I may be "misreqading" and I don't know how old this "Teenager" may be but, He/She still have a voice and just because they are a teenager don't mean they don't count. When I was a teenager, no older ones really wanted to listen and we got pissed. Now we should listen to them. Know what I mean? As far as Mr. Rybak running? If he feels comfy putting his thought on Topix, so be it. Like I say myself, I already know the 3 Incumbents I want but I'm willing to listen to others. Although in my opinion, Vince is just blowing TJ smoke.

Midlothian,Il

#48 Dec 31, 2010
Sorry, I meant "Misreading"

5yr Midlo Resident

Midlothian, IL

#49 Dec 31, 2010
Tis ok. I knew what you meant, but the other poster said the teenagers vote didn't count. Since teenager means under 18, I think he/she was right in that regard though that doesn't make their opinion any more or less significant.
Pro Youth

Alsip, IL

#50 Jan 2, 2011
We've worked a couple of village clean-up days and didn't see Chief Shabone there. I don't recall seeing him on the village green events either. It gives one the impression Vince is only concerned about Vince.

5yr Midlo Resident

Midlothian, IL

#51 Jan 2, 2011
Pro Youth, I think the chief participates in things but perhaps just not the clean-up days. I've been to the National Night Out which he participated in. He went on at least one CPC walk that I'm aware of, maybe more. He doesn't have to be at every event. We have to be fair and acknowledge that not all the candidates were at the clean-up days. Can't just pick on the chief all the time.
Vote for Vinny

Oak Forest, IL

#52 Jan 4, 2011
What's wrong with Vinny running for a trustee spot? It's not like the other three candidates, current trustees have done a wonderful job. The man has live here for a very long time and knows all about the crime rate, which most people are ignorant when it comes to the real problems in the Village.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#53 Jan 4, 2011
Vote for Vinny wrote:
What's wrong with Vinny running for a trustee spot? It's not like the other three candidates, current trustees have done a wonderful job. The man has live here for a very long time and knows all about the crime rate, which most people are ignorant when it comes to the real problems in the Village.
You're right about that. From what I can see he certainly does try his best to keep it hidden from us.
Vote For Vinny II

United States

#54 Jan 4, 2011
I could not agree more. People in Midlothian are so totally ignorant. Most people think we have a crime and gang problem. Vinny will stand up and tell you to your face that there is no gang problem. Also a lot of people used to follow traffic laws like speeding and stop signs. But good thing Vinny let us know that the police wont really enforce these laws. This saves me a lot of time know when I drive around town. Finally a hear a lot of people talk about how they would defend themselves or their neighbors if a crime was happening but again Vinny puts the ignorant people of Midlothian straight when he says dont be a vigilanty. The three trustees we have now have a phony pie in the sky view that Midlothian can be a good place but Vinny knows better. I'm voting for the only man who admits the sad truth about our sad town.
Gator

Austell, GA

#55 Jan 5, 2013
Supposedly Not a Voter wrote:
<quoted text>Rybak/Gillis clan: really? I hope you are referring to the fact that they have multiple generations that live in this town and not that they hold office. My concern is about Larry Ryan. Too bad kissing the Mayor's ass isn't going to get him re-APPOINTED: as we recall that's how he got into the village position in the first place.(By the way this is not about Stephens more than it is about Ryan's tactics to staying in office) Also, objecting sounds like a Ryan move to me: Just saying. To Smarter than you: I will be voting too and it seems like we have the same idea about who should and should not be in office.
The opposition is getting screwed again . I here Ryan left town so who you gonna blame this time?
new

Midlothian, IL

#56 Jan 9, 2013
This guy needs to go next election too

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Country Club Hills Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shitstain 3 hr No Fake News Here 34
Improving OUR Community 6 hr Verified 61
Adrian Gagen Murder 6 hr GOD 3
Bengals... 8 hr TheTaxMan 13
How can I get my street fixed 20 hr Deposit waste 23
Water Rate Increase Some Basic Questions Fri Concerned 39
DeMar's Restaurant Robbed Fri Chuck 36

Country Club Hills Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance