midlothian mayor election
Interesting

Chicago, IL

#660 Feb 10, 2013
When I read something like this it just makes me want to vote for her all the more. Typical small town politcs. Terry's people are afraid they are going to lose so they have to post innuendo about the competition because they have not accomplished anything that would result in people wanting to put them in office for another four years. If Gleason wanted to be mayor, why wouldn't she run? Ryback isn't capable of being Mayor? You believe Terry is? Why didn't you run? Your comment, "has done unquestionable things", is ridiculous. If they are unquestionable that means you can't question them. That would be a good thing. When you were in school you would have benefited from paying attention to the teacher and not worrying about Ryback. You are really going to try to say because of how she was as a teenager she would be a bad choice for Mayor? "She should of". It's "should have.". You want to see "blood on the Park District"? People in glass houses...Further her agenda? What would that be? Better the village? Bring some business in? Oh No! How scary! Are you trying to say being involved in the community is a bad thing? You just proved the old saying true, "when we assume....." You also proved Quinn erred when he closed that facility on Harlem. There is also the chance that you are really a Ryback supporter trying to make people believe Terry supporters are of low intelligence, if that's the case, mission accomplished.
Rybak Gleason wrote:
Some of us assume Gleason is behind Sharon's nomination having Evelyn Gleason in the Mayors office is a frightening thought.Sharon Rybak is far from capable to run Midothian .These ladies have always been involved in the community .Sharon has done some unoestionable things throughout the years I'm not sure fit for a public forum discussion .She seems to of always just gone along with the popular opinion whatever would further her agenda and get her into bed with the right people.I went to school with her she just wasn't all there a little strange she's always seemed to need attention she's not qualified for the office of Mayor let alone the position she's in now.What in the world is she thinking she needs to step back and think does she really want to be subjected to her dirty little secrets coming out in to the public forum.It would be nice to see some new blood on our park district hey maybe even some people who aren't from the same gene pool.I shutter to think of Gleason and Rybak in office.
Debt

Chicago, IL

#661 Feb 11, 2013
Total Debt, liabilities, and unfunded pension = $47,598,101.00
hmm143

Midlothian, IL

#662 Feb 13, 2013
as on goggle and decided to search some names I searched our village manager and here we go, look at the name in the 2nd paragraph
Abrupt resignation of Illinois Tollway IG points to corruption
Politics
September 1, 2009
By: James McConnell
James G. McConnell
Illinois Toll Highway Authority Inspector General Tracy M. Smith suddenly resigned Friday within hours after Governor Quinn's new appointees to the Tollway Board took office, leading to more questions than answers respecting her investigation and report clearing former Chairman John Mitola of wrongdoing. Mitola resigned earlier this month.
It seems Smith and Mitola's wife were close college friends. Legislative leaders seeking greater oversight over Tollway activities cite that friendship as the reason Smith cleared Mitola of corruption charges in connection with Mitola's attempt to get a Tollway publicity executive job former Wheeling Economic Development Director James Lang. Lang pushed through approval of plans for a downtown Wheeling real estate development names Wheeling Station at the behest of Mitola, shortly before Land left his job in the Wheeling government and applied for work at the Tollway. Mitola failed to mention the Wheeling Station project on his required economic interest statement as Chairman of the Tollway.
Smith issued a report in April clearing Mitola of any wrongdoing respecting Lang's job application, though her report never mentioned either Lang's or Mitola's connections to the Wheeling Station deal. Wheeling Station, LLC was the brainchild of road contractor Michael Rumman, a former business associate of reviled Chicago real estate developer and heavy political donor Tony Rezko.
In her last two years as Tollway IG, Mitola saw to it that Smith's salary was increased 25%, while many long time government workers were taking salary cuts, forced into unpaid furlough days, and getting laid off altogether. Smith's departure leaves unfinished the Tollway's internal investigation of former Governor Rod Blagojevich's "congestion relief" construction program, now under reconsideration by the new Tollway board, which would have put billions into the pockets of Illinois highway construction contractors.
Smith has published on the internet a power point presentation showing how her interviews of a Tollway consultant turned up overbillings of $135,000.00 on the project the consultant was hired to perform.
wtf

Midlothian, IL

#663 Feb 13, 2013
hmm143 wrote:
as on goggle and decided to search some names I searched our village manager and here we go, look at the name in the 2nd paragraph
Politics
September 1, 2009
James G. McConnell
Illinois Toll Highway Authority Inspector General Tracy M. Smith suddenly resigned Friday within hours after Governor Quinn's new appointees to the Tollway Board took office, leading to more questions than answers respecting her investigation and report clearing former Chairman John Mitola of wrongdoing. Mitola resigned earlier this month.
It seems Smith and Mitola's wife were close college friends. Legislative leaders seeking greater oversight over Tollway activities cite that friendship as the reason Smith cleared Mitola of corruption charges in connection with Mitola's attempt to get a Tollway publicity executive job former Wheeling Economic Development Director James Lang. Lang pushed through approval of plans for a downtown Wheeling real estate development names Wheeling Station at the behest of Mitola, shortly before Land left his job in the Wheeling government and applied for work at the Tollway. Mitola failed to mention the Wheeling Station project on his required economic interest statement as Chairman of the Tollway.
Smith issued a report in April clearing Mitola of any wrongdoing respecting Lang's job application, though her report never mentioned either Lang's or Mitola's connections to the Wheeling Station deal. Wheeling Station, LLC was the brainchild of road contractor Michael Rumman, a former business associate of reviled Chicago real estate developer and heavy political donor Tony Rezko.
In her last two years as Tollway IG, Mitola saw to it that Smith's salary was increased 25%, while many long time government workers were taking salary cuts, forced into unpaid furlough days, and getting laid off altogether. Smith's departure leaves unfinished the Tollway's internal investigation of former Governor Rod Blagojevich's "congestion relief" construction program, now under reconsideration by the new Tollway board, which would have put billions into the pockets of Illinois highway construction contractors.
Smith has published on the internet a power point presentation showing how her interviews of a Tollway consultant turned up overbillings of $135,000.00 on the project the consultant was hired to perform.
Holy shit James Lang wtf?

Since: Jan 13

Melrose Park, IL

#664 Feb 14, 2013
The very classy and reputable Messenger just posted that letter on Rybak and Gleason.....doesn't appear to be a paid ad, just an editorial letter....I just had difficulty finding who the author was of the letter....can't seem to find it. Oh don't tell me that the Messenger would post an anonymous letter slamming someone....not the Messenger, it's far too reputable to do that....on another not the Messenger does a great job in starting camp fires.
red fox

United States

#665 Feb 14, 2013
Red fox to blue birdies I bet Terry is behind this

Since: Mar 09

midlothian

#666 Feb 14, 2013
Change Needed wrote:
<quoted text>Tom M. got us in this mess
by Tom M. you mean the idoit that bought the chevy dealer, the plymouth dealer, borrowed money for a water tower, and just had to remodel village hall oh and spent 50,000 on a pile of wood on the village green

oh my mistake that was terry that spent all that money

just one question - where is the water tower - terry borrowed the money

5yr Midlo Resident

Since: Apr 09

Midlothian, IL

#667 Feb 14, 2013
BoardedUpMidlo,

I just got a copy of The Messenger. I don't see this letter. Which issue did you find it in, and on what page?
Dutch Oven Chef

United States

#668 Feb 14, 2013
The Messenger used to be a decent neighborhood paper but recently it is just a place to put all the "Legal Notices" on upcoming foreclosures.

I have not seen the Messenger this week but I was a lucky winner and got one of those "mysterious" letters!...and one of the subpoenas....and a phone call from the Stephens camp asking who gave me the petition to sign......

I can't wait until they ask me to put a sign in my yard!!(Gotta be what's coming next, don't you think??)
Getting Out

Nashville, TN

#669 Feb 14, 2013
What is the damage??? Moving soon. Schools continue to decline. Administration not bringing in the best of the best and district is not attractive. Programs are pathetic. I feel bad for parents without resources as it must be difficult for some to cover the gap. Not comfortable here anymore. Home values down and foreclosures seem high compared to areas with good schools, park districts and business. What was with the 20 squad cars and mobile command centers set up on 147th street in front of Dummy's 2 nights ago. Police station was not at liberty to share. Just not feeling safe. Crime? Public Safety? Schools? Vacant homes?

On a positive note the park looks nice. The sports fields need some of that grant money for a major facelift.

The community pool is pretty weak... Maybe take a look at what other communities are doing.

In a house hunt... We are looking for good schools and a decent tax structure. Wouldn't mind paying more if things were more promising. Good luck!
And

Midlothian, IL

#670 Feb 14, 2013
Getting Out wrote:
What is the damage??? Moving soon. Schools continue to decline. Administration not bringing in the best of the best and district is not attractive. Programs are pathetic. I feel bad for parents without resources as it must be difficult for some to cover the gap. Not comfortable here anymore. Home values down and foreclosures seem high compared to areas with good schools, park districts and business. What was with the 20 squad cars and mobile command centers set up on 147th street in front of Dummy's 2 nights ago. Police station was not at liberty to share. Just not feeling safe. Crime? Public Safety? Schools? Vacant homes?
On a positive note the park looks nice. The sports fields need some of that grant money for a major facelift.
The community pool is pretty weak... Maybe take a look at what other communities are doing.
In a house hunt... We are looking for good schools and a decent tax structure. Wouldn't mind paying more if things were more promising. Good luck!
BYE BYE
Getting Out

Nashville, TN

#672 Feb 14, 2013
And wrote:
<quoted text>BYE BYE
That is the problem... The town is doing nothing to keep residents here. Simply saying bye bye is just going to get easier and there will be lots of homes for sale under 100k. It will make for interesting neighbors!
fact

United States

#673 Feb 14, 2013
hmm143 wrote:
Politics
September 1, 2009
James G. McConnell
Jim Lang in wheeling?? Corruption and he's our village manager
clinton

Midlothian, IL

#674 Feb 14, 2013
The Rybak train is running full steam ahead with the stephens ,old school city poltical tactics really turning people off..People are waking up keep spreading the word every time you are out its working my friends.I think she is going to beat terry worse than he beat tom m.clinton
Hahaha

Midlothian, IL

#675 Feb 14, 2013
clinton wrote:
The Rybak train is running full steam ahead with the stephens ,old school city poltical tactics really turning people off..People are waking up keep spreading the word every time you are out its working my friends.I think she is going to beat terry worse than he beat tom m.clinton
What a terrifying thought .Please spread the word Rybak is a cheat and a nobody most everyone I speak to her just laugh at the idea she thinks she can win.Wke up D quit dreaming.

Midlothian, IL

#676 Feb 14, 2013
Rybak is a cheat? Did they reverse her candidacy? She off the ballot? She posting anonymous garbage in the Messenger? Just wondering?

Midlothian, IL

#677 Feb 14, 2013
5yr Midlo Resident wrote:
BoardedUpMidlo,
I just got a copy of The Messenger. I don't see this letter. Which issue did you find it in, and on what page?
It is on page 13 in the section Letter To The Editor....signed Friends of Mayor Terry Stephens....in the latest edition Feb. 14th
red fox

Midlothian, IL

#678 Feb 14, 2013
And terry didn't do anything wrong?
First of all he never should of had Midlo pd serve the candidates their papers should of been done by the county cops.
Then he hires a full time lawyer cause he's sick and needs benefits same for our village attorney who rumor has it has cancer, yeah cancer sucks. And also Lang has a history of corruption just google James Lang Wheeling and bam there you go.
Now the next question why are the FBI at our pd looking into our asst. police chief another Terry promotion. Jesus Christ open your eyes shits not getting better!!!
red fox

Midlothian, IL

#679 Feb 14, 2013
Also who paid for the postage on these letters that went out a few weeks ago. I bet it was us the residents, we probally even paid the letter to be posted today too

5yr Midlo Resident

Since: Apr 09

Midlothian, IL

#680 Feb 14, 2013
Thank you BoardedUpMidlo!

I hadn't seen it because I misunderstood and thought it was put in as editorial so I didn't even notice it in the letters to the editor. But hey, I'm just cynical enough to believe that was just a ruse to get it in the paper.:) The person was editorializing after all.

Personally I don't care as much about this supposed scandal with the petitions. I feel that if the board/mayor really felt they had a strong enough case they would have proceeded with it. I mean why not proceed? It's a sure fire way to ensure he runs unopposed right? To me, them backing down (not to mention so quickly) means they knew their case was on shaky ground (or was zilch, zippo, nada to begin with).

And besides, even if I believed that Rybak had circulated her own petitions or violated any other laws pertaining to her candidacy, they still pale in comparison to how I feel about the way the village is being run and has been since Mayor Stephens got his shot at the top spot.

Rest assured though, I certainly do not place all blame at his feet. That would be grossly unfair of me as he does not work alone, but he has made some poor decisions. We do not need a full time lawyer. We do not need a full time village administrator either as Killelea and Kreis pointed out repeatedly (Killelea with data from other tons both comparable and much larger in size than us). We didn't need a village remodel that badly. Yes grant money needed to be spent, but capital improvement can be defined as a lot more than new desks and walls.

The mayor has done good, and some of the decisions made by the board were good. Give credit where it's due. Not everyone is a fan of Home Rule, but in order to pass it they passed the ordinance making it harder to raise property taxes (remember that one?). Home Rule also got us crime free housing which has already evicted some people but also supports residents that want their landlords to take better care of their properties. There were also grants obtained, streets and water main repairs and other infrastructure work done (Natalie Creek for one) since the last mayoral election. So we have things to be thankful for. I just think that we need another shakeup in the race.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Country Club Hills Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
garage sale 1 hr Changa 1
Carol Di Pace-Green is full of hot air. (Jun '15) 2 hr Spend in BI for BI 140
Alderman Absent From Council Meetings 3 hr Were Watching 1
Kids hit by police suv 5 hr 1846 84
Local Politics Do you approve of David A. Gonzalez as Mayor? (Aug '13) 8 hr Cut Throat 95
Sister City Fest 8 hr Cut Throat 24
Thomas Martello running for Bloom Township Supe... 9 hr digger_70 11

Country Club Hills Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Country Club Hills Mortgages