Comments
201 - 220 of 304 Comments Last updated Mar 25, 2013
BlueIslandSkepti c

Bolingbrook, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#207
Jan 25, 2013
 
Build BI2 wrote:
<quoted text>
If Mr.Vargas is elected the Rita camp will make those decisions pure and simple. If I were the incoming Mayor my focus would be on 1) is the job needed ? 2.) Is the person doing the job meeting its requirements? 3) Can any jobs be consolidated ?
However in the scenario of Mr. Vargas (Rita) or Mr. Brown (Peloquin) the decisions will be purely political versus what is best for our fair community.
And you know this how? Especially Tommy Brown? You know Mr. Brown personally or by happenstance? Or are you just throwing crap out to see what sticks? I would suggest you stop pulling your brains out of your butt and think out your next posting thoroughly instead of proving Darwin's theory of evolution & stupidity.
Job Share

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#208
Jan 25, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Put In wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, we'll leave in Don's people, I'll put in my people, and his people. We'll have people for people and they can all trip over each other because there will be people for people. Makes alot of sense Right?
Job sharing and part time positions could also be explored for a more cost effective option.
Taxed to Death

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#209
Jan 29, 2013
 

Judged:

3

To Be Clear wrote:
We do not like the 45 million dollars in debt created and left for taxpayers by the current council.
The debt is now $58 million.
Domingo went along with all of this foolishness and now expects us to trust and vote for him and his team?
Why?
Jobs for Votes

Alsip, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#210
Jan 29, 2013
 
Job Share wrote:
<quoted text>
Job sharing and part time positions could also be explored for a more cost effective option.
This does not translate to "votes"
No Confidence Vote

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#211
Jan 29, 2013
 

Judged:

3

Jobs for Votes wrote:
<quoted text>This does not translate to "votes"
For 30 years the usual suspects, sang the praises of the Coalition/Progressive Party and Passed one Appropriation after another that was set in front of them. Scoffed at any who questioned the appropriations.
Not once was a sustainable budget considered.
Thank You Maria Pappas

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#212
Jan 29, 2013
 

Judged:

2

Taxed to Death wrote:
<quoted text>
The debt is now $58 million.
Domingo went along with all of this foolishness and now expects us to trust and vote for him and his team?
Why?
Thank You Maria Pappas for getting this information into the voters hands before the election!
We Love You!
Foolishness

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#213
Feb 11, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Taxed to Death wrote:
<quoted text>
The debt is now $58 million.
Domingo went along with all of this foolishness and now expects us to trust and vote for him and his team?
Why?
Mayoral Candidate Vargas, with candidates for elected office connected with the Coalition Progressive Party and the Blue Island Independent Party have been in charge for many years and have repeatedly demonstrated they will only make Blue Island worse. 
Lincoln County, Plasma Incineration, Pawn Shop, Home Rule, Jawa have all been proposed and promoted without consideration for the dire consequences to the taxpayers, municipality, public, or surrounding communities. These connected candidates are responsible for the current multi-million dollar debt, unfunded pensions, closed bridges, landfill that was converted into an 18-hole golf course that has been unable to generate enough funds to support itself and for no less than 20 years; Blue Island Taxpayer funds have sustained the golf course project. Blue Island's existing one hundred and sixty year old combined sewer system, should have been upgraded and separated at least 25 years ago with one sewer for storm water the other sewer for waste. 
Why should we Vote for them?
Resident

Alsip, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#214
Feb 11, 2013
 
The question is going to be which of the three evils according to what I have been reading is going to be elected and hopefully put Blue Island little by little out of this mess. I don't neither of the candidates but I have to vote for someone and truely I want to see some type of change in Blue Island or else I am leaving and I grow up here!
Pumped and Chumped

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#215
Feb 11, 2013
 
No Bold Stand vs. Conflicts of Interest

February 10, 2013 06:26 AM

Governor Quinn recently called for a ban on “conflict of interest voting.” This, unfortunately, is just another well-intentioned baby step.

By Andy Shaw/BGA

Post a Comment

Gov. Pat Quinn’s handlers got me pumped this week with a heads-up that his "State of the State" speech would confront a major ethics issue that’s bedeviled Illinois for years: Conflicts of interest. That’s what occurs when lawmakers use their public positions to benefit their private interests, even when it hurts the taxpayers who elect them regularly and compensate them generously.

Quinn’s tenure has been hampered by his uneven steerage of our tempest-tossed ship of state: Fighting corruption and a fiscal train wreck with baby steps and missteps instead of giant leaps of enlightened leadership.

The Legislature is also culpable, but they haven’t followed Quinn dutifully because he hasn’t led strategically, so we’re left with the nation’s worst pension debacle, a shameful multibillion-dollar stack of unpaid bills, a woefully unbalanced budget and a deteriorating business climate.

Sadly, Quinn’s biggest "accomplishment" was a massive hike in the state income tax that turned out to be the fiscal equivalent of a finger in the dike. But dystopia doesn’t have to be a permanent condition, and the governor’s aides told me his "State of the State" speech would offer bold remedies.

The "old" Pat Quinn — Don Quixote on steroids — would tilt at windmills again but, unlike Cervantes’ errant knight, actually knock some of them over.

He was taking on conflicts of interest, one of the Better Government Association’s core issues, and I flashed back to 2009 when the General Assembly approved video gaming, the reputed "crack cocaine" of gambling, in a classic conflict-ridden deal.

Cook County Assessor Joe Berrios, who sat on the county’s tax appeals board then, also worked as a paid lobbyist for a coin operators’ group that favored video gaming. So he went down to Springfield to plead their case.

Berrios’ receptive audience included House Speaker Michael Madigan and Senate President John Cullerton, who moonlight in Chicago as high-priced tax lawyers representing big businesses that don’t like their tax bills.

Madigan and Cullerton got their clients’ taxes lowered by Berrios’ appeals board, and the rest of us had to pay the difference. Berrios got video gaming for his clients.

And that’s the conflict: Serving competing interests at the same time — public and private — which invites quid pro quos and tit-for-tats, even if they’re never discussed.

So when I heard that Quinn was tackling conflicts of interest, I was pumped.

But when he finally got to the issue near the end of his speech, he called only for a ban on "conflict of interest voting."

That means lawmakers couldn’t vote on bills that would benefit them and those around them financially.

The current law simply urges them to "consider" abstaining, but it’s not mandatory.

This, unfortunately, is another well-intentioned baby step. Madigan and Cullerton already avoid votes on most issues that raise conflict concerns.

But their Democratic underlings know what’s important to them, and that’s how they usually vote, so the abstentions have little effect on the outcome.

A serious attack on conflicts would make it illegal for lawmakers to profit from private endeavors that involve tax dollars.

Madigan and Cullerton would have to decide whether to be legislators or tax lawyers, but not both. Berrios could be a county assessor or a Springfield lobbyist, but not both. Same for any other public official with a government-related private interest.

Work for us or work for them.

The "old" Pat Quinn would’ve been all in, tilting away furiously, but this was an anemic Don Quixote, unwilling to aggressively challenge the same legislative leaders who’ve aggressively ignored and disrespected him.

I was pumped. But he wasn’t. So we got chumped
Pumped and Chumped

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#216
Feb 11, 2013
 
No Bold Stand vs. Conflicts of Interest
February 10, 2013 06:26 AM
Governor Quinn recently called for a ban on “conflict of interest voting.” This, unfortunately, is just another well-intentioned baby step.
By Andy Shaw/BGA
Post a Comment
Gov. Pat Quinn’s handlers got me pumped this week with a heads-up that his "State of the State" speech would confront a major ethics issue that’s bedeviled Illinois for years: Conflicts of interest. That’s what occurs when lawmakers use their public positions to benefit their private interests, even when it hurts the taxpayers who elect them regularly and compensate them generously.
Quinn’s tenure has been hampered by his uneven steerage of our tempest-tossed ship of state: Fighting corruption and a fiscal train wreck with baby steps and missteps instead of giant leaps of enlightened leadership.
The Legislature is also culpable, but they haven’t followed Quinn dutifully because he hasn’t led strategically, so we’re left with the nation’s worst pension debacle, a shameful multibillion-dollar stack of unpaid bills, a woefully unbalanced budget and a deteriorating business climate.
Sadly, Quinn’s biggest "accomplishment" was a massive hike in the state income tax that turned out to be the fiscal equivalent of a finger in the dike. But dystopia doesn’t have to be a permanent condition, and the governor’s aides told me his "State of the State" speech would offer bold remedies.
The "old" Pat Quinn — Don Quixote on steroids — would tilt at windmills again but, unlike Cervantes’ errant knight, actually knock some of them over.
He was taking on conflicts of interest, one of the Better Government Association’s core issues, and I flashed back to 2009 when the General Assembly approved video gaming, the reputed "crack cocaine" of gambling, in a classic conflict-ridden deal.
Cook County Assessor Joe Berrios, who sat on the county’s tax appeals board then, also worked as a paid lobbyist for a coin operators’ group that favored video gaming. So he went down to Springfield to plead their case.
Berrios’ receptive audience included House Speaker Michael Madigan and Senate President John Cullerton, who moonlight in Chicago as high-priced tax lawyers representing big businesses that don’t like their tax bills.
Madigan and Cullerton got their clients’ taxes lowered by Berrios’ appeals board, and the rest of us had to pay the difference. Berrios got video gaming for his clients.
And that’s the conflict: Serving competing interests at the same time — public and private — which invites quid pro quos and tit-for-tats, even if they’re never discussed.
So when I heard that Quinn was tackling conflicts of interest, I was pumped.
But when he finally got to the issue near the end of his speech, he called only for a ban on "conflict of interest voting."
That means lawmakers couldn’t vote on bills that would benefit them and those around them financially.
The current law simply urges them to "consider" abstaining, but it’s not mandatory.
This, unfortunately, is another well-intentioned baby step. Madigan and Cullerton already avoid votes on most issues that raise conflict concerns.
But their Democratic underlings know what’s important to them, and that’s how they usually vote, so the abstentions have little effect on the outcome.
A serious attack on conflicts would make it illegal for lawmakers to profit from private endeavors that involve tax dollars.
Madigan and Cullerton would have to decide whether to be legislators or tax lawyers, but not both. Berrios could be a county assessor or a Springfield lobbyist, but not both. Same for any other public official with a government-related private interest.
Work for us or work for them.
The "old" Pat Quinn would’ve been all in, tilting away furiously, but this was an anemic Don Quixote, unwilling to aggressively challenge the same legislative leaders who’ve aggressively ignored and disrespected him.
I was pumped. But he wasn’t. So we got chumped.
Nonsense

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#217
Feb 12, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Foolishness wrote:
<quoted text>
Mayoral Candidate Vargas, with candidates for elected office connected with the Coalition Progressive Party and the Blue Island Independent Party have been in charge for many years and have repeatedly demonstrated they will only make Blue Island worse. 
Lincoln County, Plasma Incineration, Pawn Shop, Home Rule, Jawa have all been proposed and promoted without consideration for the dire consequences to the taxpayers, municipality, public, or surrounding communities. These connected candidates are responsible for the current multi-million dollar debt, unfunded pensions, closed bridges, landfill that was converted into an 18-hole golf course that has been unable to generate enough funds to support itself and for no less than 20 years; Blue Island Taxpayer funds have sustained the golf course project. Blue Island's existing one hundred and sixty year old combined sewer system, should have been upgraded and separated at least 25 years ago with one sewer for storm water the other sewer for waste. 
Why should we Vote for them?
Haven't these parties collaborated for many years behind the scenes?
What are the real reasons the municipality in such disrepair?
If they are working in the best interest of the public why are we seeing this sort of nonsense?
He does not deserve it

Midlothian, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#218
Feb 16, 2013
 

Judged:

1

A vote for Attorney Alderman Vargas, will bring more of same old same old. If you do not learn from History we will repeat the same mistakes.
Taxed to Death wrote:
<quoted text>
The debt is now $58 million.
Domingo went along with all of this foolishness and now expects us to trust and vote for him and his team?
Why?
BlueIslandSkepti c

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#219
Feb 16, 2013
 
He does not deserve it wrote:
A vote for Attorney Alderman Vargas, will bring more of same old same old. If you do not learn from History we will repeat the same mistakes.
<quoted text>
And once again I will explain what the real world is and NOT what you think the real world is. Oh and by the way...what color is the sky in your world? Ok pay attention. I usually charge people for what I'm explaining to you for free. Tommy Brown is a pawn of the Cook County Democratic Party and a go-fer for the Black Caucus of the Chicago machine. Do I need to connect the dots for you. Alan Stevo is a race baiter and an ill tempered rabble rouser of the worse kind forged by the radical conservative wing of the GOP. His politics are plantation style politics where people of color have no say and should know their place. He hides it behind a ludicrous excuse called "Grass roots" movement. He has no platform to speak of other than a "Hit List" of city workers and department heads he intends to clip when he takes office. He thinks by cleaning out the people who worked under Peloquin, the town will be able to get back on it's feet. His temper & his mouth have cost this town plenty in Lawsuits when he was a member of the council. Don't believe me...check it out yourself or ask him about it. He will shuck & jive and bluster, but will not give you a straight answer. His buttkissers will run interference and say that it's "Old News". The reality of it is that he will never get anybody to work with him on the City Council...he burned his bridges with many Alderman a long time ago.
The business owners will avoid him like the plague because of his well known caustic attitude and take no prisoners view of those who will not be on his side. The people of color in this town will have little to do with him because they know what he is behind all the pomp & BS his supporters have thrown around him. The Eastside would rather succeed from town then to call him Mayor. Shall I go on? He may have his heart in the right place, there is no denying that, but you can't get a Tiger to change it's stripes. He is what he is. And the town does not need an Alan Stevo now. It needs a plan of action which he does not have..again ask him.

Maria

Midlothian, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#220
Feb 16, 2013
 

Judged:

1

YOU CAN'T FIRE EVERBODY Silly, and intelligent people know better. Domingo will provide $125,000.00 plus perks to a new hire/appointment.
Yes, Domingo will take his marching orders from Calumet Township, Chicago City Hall, and Cook County Democratic HQ, after all he is a follower not a LEADER.
BlueIslandSkeptic wrote:
<quoted text>
And once again I will explain what the real world is and NOT what you think the real world is. Oh and by the way...what color is the sky in your world? Ok pay attention. I usually charge people for what I'm explaining to you for free. Tommy Brown is a pawn of the Cook County Democratic Party and a go-fer for the Black Caucus of the Chicago machine. Do I need to connect the dots for you. Alan Stevo is a race baiter and an ill tempered rabble rouser of the worse kind forged by the radical conservative wing of the GOP. His politics are plantation style politics where people of color have no say and should know their place. He hides it behind a ludicrous excuse called "Grass roots" movement. He has no platform to speak of other than a "Hit List" of city workers and department heads he intends to clip when he takes office. He thinks by cleaning out the people who worked under Peloquin, the town will be able to get back on it's feet. His temper & his mouth have cost this town plenty in Lawsuits when he was a member of the council. Don't believe me...check it out yourself or ask him about it. He will shuck & jive and bluster, but will not give you a straight answer. His buttkissers will run interference and say that it's "Old News". The reality of it is that he will never get anybody to work with him on the City Council...he burned his bridges with many Alderman a long time ago.
The business owners will avoid him like the plague because of his well known caustic attitude and take no prisoners view of those who will not be on his side. The people of color in this town will have little to do with him because they know what he is behind all the pomp & BS his supporters have thrown around him. The Eastside would rather succeed from town then to call him Mayor. Shall I go on? He may have his heart in the right place, there is no denying that, but you can't get a Tiger to change it's stripes. He is what he is. And the town does not need an Alan Stevo now. It needs a plan of action which he does not have..again ask him.
Lets turn the page

Midlothian, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#221
Feb 16, 2013
 
He does not deserve it wrote:
A vote for Attorney Alderman Vargas, will bring more of same old same old. If you do not learn from History we will repeat the same mistakes.
<quoted text>
We agree, and those running against the current administration needs to remind the voters. "If you do not learn from History we will repeat the same mistakes." Good People of Blue Island, in the Mayors own words "It is Time for a CHANGE." Lets turn the page of History.
We Love BI

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#222
Feb 16, 2013
 

Judged:

1

We love our empty store fronts, closed bridges, the over all condition of our city, high taxes, do nothing elected officials, and most of all,
"WE TAXPAYERS LOVE OUR EMPTY WALLETS!

Think about why a change is needed.
BlueIslandSkepti c

Minooka, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#223
Feb 17, 2013
 
Maria wrote:
YOU CAN'T FIRE EVERBODY Silly, and intelligent people know better. Domingo will provide $125,000.00 plus perks to a new hire/appointment.
Yes, Domingo will take his marching orders from Calumet Township, Chicago City Hall, and Cook County Democratic HQ, after all he is a follower not a LEADER.
<quoted text>
Maria reading is a skill, please practice it. Obviously what I wrote is beyond your comprehension and language skills. I mean no disrespect but it is quite obvious a great many people on this blog site also like you, lack the basic reading and comprehension skills that are needed to be a functioning voting adult. I urge most of you to bone up with a Webster dictionary and a basic reading tutorial so you may understand what other's have been posting here. Oh and as I posted...Yes Alan Stevo has a "Hit List" of how many city employees he will fire and and eliminate from City Positions and it appears from the people who I've talked too who have been contacted by Mr. Stevo trying to enlist their support, the list is extensive and quite staggering
in it's thoroughness. He intends to do it if elected.
another panic attack

Midlothian, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#224
Feb 17, 2013
 
Desperate times create desperate people. You are having another panic attack.
BlueIslandSkeptic wrote:
<quoted text>
Maria reading is a skill, please practice it. Obviously what I wrote is beyond your comprehension and language skills. I mean no disrespect but it is quite obvious a great many people on this blog site also like you, lack the basic reading and comprehension skills that are needed to be a functioning voting adult. I urge most of you to bone up with a Webster dictionary and a basic reading tutorial so you may understand what other's have been posting here. Oh and as I posted...Yes Alan Stevo has a "Hit List" of how many city employees he will fire and and eliminate from City Positions and it appears from the people who I've talked too who have been contacted by Mr. Stevo trying to enlist their support, the list is extensive and quite staggering
in it's thoroughness. He intends to do it if elected.
Fact

Orland Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#225
Feb 17, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

BlueIslandSkeptic wrote:
<quoted text>
Maria reading is a skill, please practice it. Obviously what I wrote is beyond your comprehension and language skills. I mean no disrespect but it is quite obvious a great many people on this blog site also like you, lack the basic reading and comprehension skills that are needed to be a functioning voting adult. I urge most of you to bone up with a Webster dictionary and a basic reading tutorial so you may understand what other's have been posting here. Oh and as I posted...Yes Alan Stevo has a "Hit List" of how many city employees he will fire and and eliminate from City Positions and it appears from the people who I've talked too who have been contacted by Mr. Stevo trying to enlist their support, the list is extensive and quite staggering
in it's thoroughness. He intends to do it if elected.
All appointed positions will be replaced with HIS personal picks, although we hear some stand up citizens have laughed at the offers and turned them down.
Susie

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#226
Feb 17, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

BlueIslandSkeptic wrote:
<quoted text>
Maria reading is a skill, please practice it. Obviously what I wrote is beyond your comprehension and language skills. I mean no disrespect but it is quite obvious a great many people on this blog site also like you, lack the basic reading and comprehension skills that are needed to be a functioning voting adult. I urge most of you to bone up with a Webster dictionary and a basic reading tutorial so you may understand what other's have been posting here. Oh and as I posted...Yes Alan Stevo has a "Hit List" of how many city employees he will fire and and eliminate from City Positions and it appears from the people who I've talked too who have been contacted by Mr. Stevo trying to enlist their support, the list is extensive and quite staggering
in it's thoroughness. He intends to do it if elected.
I am afraid you are absolutely correct, about the hit list, there has been a complete change over of employees at the Calumet Township and a change in candidates. Out with the old in with the new......
Of course the Coalition/Progressive Blue Island Independent Party will put their OWN people in TOP SPOTS,(most have already left or retired) then, they will hire at lower wages, to provide more jobs for more votes.
Burt WILL find the loop hole to destroys the municipal pensions...

Too much power in anyone's hands IS A BAD THING!
51 days until the April 9, 2013, election.
Stevo it is.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Country Club Hills Discussions

Search the Country Club Hills Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Chicago Ridge Village Board 2015 1 hr Replay 35
Concealed carry shooting reignites debate 2 hr Odyssey 1
I grew up in Midlothian Facebook Page (Jul '13) 2 hr who cares 120
crestwood strip club 3 hr Hugh Jorgan 16
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 4 hr Terry rigsby 49,032
Should Cresrtwood Have Their Own Strip Club 6 hr Dont Believe the Hype 4
Oak Lawn fire chief to also run Chicago Ridge FD 8 hr Kalamazoo Kid 45
•••
•••
•••
•••

Country Club Hills Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Country Club Hills People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Country Club Hills News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Country Club Hills
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••