Red Light Cameras in CCH
sankofa

Lansing, IL

#1 Aug 6, 2010
Why does everyone simply accept these cameras that Mayor Welch has installed at every major intersection in CCH. I got one of those tickets, for turning on red at 183rd and Cicero, where I've been turning on red since I moved to the south suburbs 25 years ago! But suddenly, it was illegal, and I had to pay $100. When I went to court to contest my ticket (I did stop before turning, contrary to whatever the picture was supposed to portray), I was one of literally hundreds of people, all with $100 tickets, and several with more than one! The mayor racked in the bucks that day, and I was told that this scenario is repeated several times a week! I guess he found a way to pay for that theater after all, especially now that fewer people can afford the expensive tickets, but hey! One ticket is just as good as another, right? I've also heard that other communities fought this scam and demanded that the cameras be removed. So why isn't anyone making similar demands in CCH? The mayor and the elected officials are at Dunkin' Donut every Sunday morning at 9AM. On one of those Sundays, the hundreds of people who had to pay $100 tickets should be waiting for him, with the media, and demand that he explains why he's doing this to the residents of his community as well as surrounding communities, and anyone else who just happens to drift through! Maybe he can begin his explanation by showing us the code that he's enforcing (a code that I've been told is not even on the books).
CCH Resident

Country Club Hills, IL

#3 Dec 31, 2011
I am so irritated with the govenment practices in Country Club Hills, IL. I have lived in the community for 18 years; however, I have never seen such greed and corruption on the part of our elected officials in 60478. I, like a number of people, have had to pay a $100 ticket even though I came to a complete stop! Their hired lawyer came in and reviewed the tapes in traffic court. She said that my stop was not complete, even though all four wheels on my car stopped, and my lights showed me stopping. From now on, I am going to sit at the lights, whether any one likes it or not! They won't get another $100 out of me!

By the way... did anyone ever find out why our tax dollars are being spent on cruises with the Mayor's young, African American mistress (the mother of his young children)? THE PICS ARE ON HER FACEBOOK PAGE!
JOHN

Joliet, IL

#5 Jan 1, 2012
CCH Resident wrote:
I am so irritated with the govenment practices in Country Club Hills, IL. I have lived in the community for 18 years; however, I have never seen such greed and corruption on the part of our elected officials in 60478. I, like a number of people, have had to pay a $100 ticket even though I came to a complete stop! Their hired lawyer came in and reviewed the tapes in traffic court. She said that my stop was not complete, even though all four wheels on my car stopped, and my lights showed me stopping. From now on, I am going to sit at the lights, whether any one likes it or not! They won't get another $100 out of me!
By the way... did anyone ever find out why our tax dollars are being spent on cruises with the Mayor's young, African American mistress (the mother of his young children)? THE PICS ARE ON HER FACEBOOK PAGE!
What is her name? I suppose she is a city hall employee. Won't the people of this town ever wake up and get rid of this guy? He's an embarassement to the city. I'd say he is an embarassment to the state,but unfortunately our state government is loaded with similar types. Hopefully,some agency is investigating him and all the city departments,including the police dept..
concerned

United States

#6 Jan 9, 2012
Fellow victim

United States

#7 Jan 13, 2012
All victims of this scam should email the business they use in CCH and tell them they no longer will use their services until these cameras are taken down.
Tyranny n Lies for Money

Chicago, IL

#8 Mar 21, 2012
Yep. Just got one of those "rolling right on red" enemas from the man. They cry "PUBLIC SAFETY' AND 'DANGEROUS T-BONE COLLISIONS', but the TRUTH is that it is a MONEY MAKING ENDEAVOR TO FLEECE MONEY OUT OF THE ALREADY TAXED-TO-DEATH CITIZENRY. Here are the facts: Eighty to ninety percent of all tickets given are for rolling right on red. They are installed at intersections with LOW traffic counts and a NEGLIGIBLE history of crashes. Why? Because the safer the intersection, the more likely that a driver will see NO cars and NO pedestrians and therefore believe that it is totally safe to yield and turn. The NTSB has said that right on reds are NOT responsible for crashes, especially the touted "Dangerous T-Bone Crash" claims by the cities. The Illinois legislature admits that the wording of the law is misleading (it says "complete stop" even though the universal understanding of the law is "yield") and is considering changing the wording to "yield. Enforcement of this law over this technicality is being exploited by cities nationwide. Despite the supreme court rulings that currently uphold this ridiculous law, any first year law student can clearly see how this is 1) unlawful surveillance without probable cause 2) Inadmissable in court as it denies one the right to cross examine his accuser 3) is clearly a conflict of interest as the city stands to make money off the enforcement. Wouldn't it be nice to have your own police force to strongarm people into paying you $100? Contact your State Reps and make some noise. 35 million cars cross the intersection of 159th and Cicero (Oak Forest has cameras too) per year. Over the past 10 years, there have been an average of fewer than 7 t-bone collisions per year. The PRIMARY cause was people making left turns in front of oncoming traffic. Seven crashes per 35 million cars, with the major factor being left-turners! Don't believe the lies. This is not a public safety issue. If this scam weren't so lucrative, there would be no cameras, because the city would NEVER pay the 50k plus per month it costs to operate and maintain the cameras. They would say "Only 7 crashes per 35 million cars? That hardly justifies the expense. The city can't afford it." If public safety was important, cost would be no object. The city routinely refuses to spend money on safety issues due to cost, issues that affect a lot more than 7 in 35,000,000.
concerned

United States

#9 Mar 23, 2012
Tyranny n Lies for Money wrote:
Yep. Just got one of those "rolling right on red" enemas from the man. They cry "PUBLIC SAFETY' AND 'DANGEROUS T-BONE COLLISIONS', but the TRUTH is that it is a MONEY MAKING ENDEAVOR TO FLEECE MONEY OUT OF THE ALREADY TAXED-TO-DEATH CITIZENRY. Here are the facts: Eighty to ninety percent of all tickets given are for rolling right on red. They are installed at intersections with LOW traffic counts and a NEGLIGIBLE history of crashes. Why? Because the safer the intersection, the more likely that a driver will see NO cars and NO pedestrians and therefore believe that it is totally safe to yield and turn. The NTSB has said that right on reds are NOT responsible for crashes, especially the touted "Dangerous T-Bone Crash" claims by the cities. The Illinois legislature admits that the wording of the law is misleading (it says "complete stop" even though the universal understanding of the law is "yield") and is considering changing the wording to "yield. Enforcement of this law over this technicality is being exploited by cities nationwide. Despite the supreme court rulings that currently uphold this ridiculous law, any first year law student can clearly see how this is 1) unlawful surveillance without probable cause 2) Inadmissable in court as it denies one the right to cross examine his accuser 3) is clearly a conflict of interest as the city stands to make money off the enforcement. Wouldn't it be nice to have your own police force to strongarm people into paying you $100? Contact your State Reps and make some noise. 35 million cars cross the intersection of 159th and Cicero (Oak Forest has cameras too) per year. Over the past 10 years, there have been an average of fewer than 7 t-bone collisions per year. The PRIMARY cause was people making left turns in front of oncoming traffic. Seven crashes per 35 million cars, with the major factor being left-turners! Don't believe the lies. This is not a public safety issue. If this scam weren't so lucrative, there would be no cameras, because the city would NEVER pay the 50k plus per month it costs to operate and maintain the cameras. They would say "Only 7 crashes per 35 million cars? That hardly justifies the expense. The city can't afford it." If public safety was important, cost would be no object. The city routinely refuses to spend money on safety issues due to cost, issues that affect a lot more than 7 in 35,000,000.
yep. all right turns. I just don't turn anymore...make it a no turn on red if it is really a safety issue instead of milking the hell outta people. i told people on here to do an FOI request specifically for all the money paid..all financial transactions regarding all cameras in that city. It is disgusting i've seen one camera on a intersection years ago when i got my copy. It made over 100 thousand dollars in a month.
concerned

United States

#10 Mar 23, 2012
oh i'm sorry the info was how many people paid up for that month regarding that camera...those are the folks that mainly just send in their payments without going to the smoke and mirros hearing at the city hall. no wonder they don't teach about disclosure and transparency in so called government in high school.
concerned

United States

#11 Mar 23, 2012
privitization...look up at the person who owns safespeed,llc. google: secretary of state registered agent...type in safespeed, llc..some guy from a foreign country owns these cameras in cch.
arthur jones

Blue Island, IL

#12 Mar 23, 2012
this is why i stay out of coon town . If the monkeys don't rob you the town will .
concerned

United States

#13 Mar 23, 2012
arthur jones wrote:
this is why i stay out of coon town . If the monkeys don't rob you the town will.

actually its pretty peaceful over here in my neighborhood. Not worried about children robbing me.
ANGUS

Richmond, VA

#14 Nov 21, 2013
Do not spend any of your hard money in Country Club Hills. Maybe if the businesses start suffering perhaps something will be done about this crooked practice. We received three of these so called red light tickets and went to protest them today. What a waste of time that was. I know that my family will not spend another nickle in CCH. Even though I love my Unbeatable Eatables, I will have to find another favorite sandwich shop not in that crooked town.

Peace everyone
Just me

United States

#15 Nov 21, 2013
Simple obey the rules of the road and you have no complaint. Accept responsibility for your actions stop blaming everyone else because you don't follow the rules...
Ray

United States

#16 Nov 28, 2014
What a complete joke Dispicable town stealing money in a scam, recieved a ticket after making a complete stop at 183rd and Cicero country club hills. 100$ fine for doing absolutely nothing wrong.
Lcgarner

Calumet City, IL

#17 Jan 7, 2016
JOHN wrote:
<quoted text> What is her name? I suppose she is a city hall employee. Won't the people of this town ever wake up and get rid of this guy? He's an embarassement to the city. I'd say he is an embarassment to the state,but unfortunately our state government is loaded with similar types. Hopefully,some agency is investigating him and all the city departments,including the police dept..
I agree. Something is wrong when I get tickets every Sunday going to church at either 175 or 183. I tried going another way for two weeks surprise I did not get a ticket. Why should I go out of my way to avoid getting a ticket. I'm a senior citizen.
mbialka

Tinley Park, IL

#19 Feb 8, 2016
Got 3 in 1 month going south bound on Cicero turning right on 183rd. I've been going on this road since I started at McAllister in July and the first one I got was this month. Is my driving more negligent or are they becoming stricter?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Country Club Hills Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Real estate Tax Bill (Jun '12) 42 min Huh 16
Results now meet 1 hr Pay the Man 26
Are we trying to hide a shady past Arty? 3 hr Arty hunter 27
Village Board Meeting 7/11/2017 4 hr Village Boy 5
Blue Island Red Light Cameras Illegal (Apr '12) 5 hr BIIP Refund 182
Lake Shore Waste starts next week 7 hr inquiring no minds 98
Rita-Vargas Patronage Island 11 hr Moving BI Forward 178

Country Club Hills Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance