Council Bluffs Woman Vows To Fight $835 Parking Ticket

May 12, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: KGAN

A woman says she's going to court to fight a Council Bluffs parking ticket that could cost her $835. Laura Sherman says she thinks the $750 fine and $85 court fee is way out of line.

Comments
1 - 6 of 6 Comments Last updated Nov 13, 2013
SnotC

Seoul, Korea

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2011

See the sign or not, what about common sense? Many people think only of their own convenience. People knows it costs money to maintain the grass and people driving over the curb will eventually cause the curb to erode over time. Most people know the grass will die if you keep parking on it. Most people know grass areas are not for parking, even in our own homes. Also, common sense will tell you that the curb is there for a reason.
We need to have respect and consideration of how our actions affect other people and our surroundings. Let's love our surroundings and not help thrash it, sign or no sign.
Jmsb

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2011

I think this fine is ridiculous. I mean, where does it stop? What if they the City would have set the fine at $5,000? Or maybe $10,000? Just because the woman disobeyed a parking rule doesn't mean the City can just pull any high number out of the air and assess that fine to the violator. The fine should be in line with the violation, and this is clearly not the case here. I hope she wins at least a reduction in the fine when she goes to court.
almost an okie

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2011

She demonstrates what happened when the US Supreme Court outlawed the 10 Commandments in public schools in the early 1980's. The idea was that some of the children (and perhaps teachers, too) would read them and obey them.

She is one who thinks the law only applies to others and not to her. Somehow, I can easily imagine her as a lawless person, who probably teaches her children it is ok to cheat, in order to get ahead in life.

She admitted she violated the law by driving over that curb painted bright red. If she is so stupid she cannot discern what it means, she has no reason to be driving. I only hope that all the other offenders also got the same fine.

I think of her when I see the many people who drive by me like I am sitting still, even though I drive the speed limit. She may even attend church at the church of irresponsibility, where no one is ever to blame, even if they are.

Folks, if people don't think they should obey God's laws, what makes you think they will obey the laws man makes, even the good ones?
SnotC

Seoul, Korea

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2011

Jmsb wrote:
I think this fine is ridiculous. I mean, where does it stop? What if they the City would have set the fine at $5,000? Or maybe $10,000? Just because the woman disobeyed a parking rule doesn't mean the City can just pull any high number out of the air and assess that fine to the violator. The fine should be in line with the violation, and this is clearly not the case here. I hope she wins at least a reduction in the fine when she goes to court.
You are so right with the technicality and so are the other people who gets away with murder... technicality.

So it's OK to violate rules if people can afford to pay the fines? This is what we teach our kids? Don't have to follow rules when we think we can get away with it; when nobody's looking; when we can afford to pay the fines!

If that was me, I will just quietly try to work something out with the County and not show the whole world how special I think I am.

Laura Sherman

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2011

Jmsb wrote:
Thank you for your comment.... I appreciate your sensibility.
BFL

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2013

I thought california was bad you have us beat on this one Just for parking over the red curb WOW.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Council Bluffs Discussions

Search the Council Bluffs Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
MTV 'Teen Mom' star Farrah Abraham allegedly ch... (Jan '10) Jul 11 amw 52
'Bar Rescue' tries to help Oface Bar in Council... Jul 10 GL Denny 38
rick and doreen Jul 7 none yo 1
IA Iowa House primary ground zero for gay marriage... (Jun '10) Jun '14 slayer rules 411
Debate: Marijuana - Council Bluffs, IA (Aug '10) Mar '14 thunder cock 11
2020 is hiring a Field Business Deveopment Mana... Mar '14 Gina Ritter 1
IA Who do you support for Treasurer in Iowa in 2010? (Oct '10) Mar '14 daxton 9
•••
•••
•••
•••

Council Bluffs Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••