Jeff Jerrod, new to 'Storage Wars,' l...

Jeff Jerrod, new to 'Storage Wars,' loses money on Russian Nesting dolls

There are 7 comments on the Examiner.com story from Jul 11, 2012, titled Jeff Jerrod, new to 'Storage Wars,' loses money on Russian Nesting dolls. In it, Examiner.com reports that:

Jeff Jerrod, the "new guy" on " Storage Wars " took a loss when he purchased a storage unit for $1,050 on the episode which aired July 10.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Examiner.com.

“Hilltop Park Above All”

Since: Sep 08

Montebello, CA

#1 Jul 20, 2012
As an owner, buyer, and ebay seller of many, many collectibles, including nesting dolls, I can say that the values that the Russian store owner in Long Beach gave were the highest retail prices anywhere. Actual prices paid for his type of nesting dolls are 1/2 to 1/3 the prices quoted.

I see few, even large nesting doll sets, selling for more than $150, and most are under $100. There is a very nice Russian items seller at the LA County and OC Fairs who could get you the set quoted as $380 on TV for $100.

The people who pay the $380 price are usually those who see the 'Matryushkas'(the pronounciation is very regional) for the first time, and are entrances with the craftsmanship of the Russian dolls, which is an order of magnitude better than the cheaper (and usually smellier) Chinese copies.

The Sergiev Posad style of doll that Jerrod apparently had was from one of the best manufacturers, but they churn so many of these out every year, that they are not really rare, but are cherished.

“Hilltop Park Above All”

Montebello, CA

#2 Jul 20, 2012
There are a significant, but steadily declining number of Russians in Montebello who's families fled Russia right before and after the Russ0-Japanese war of 1904-05.
yuuuup

San Diego, CA

#3 Jul 21, 2012
so what?

“Hilltop Park Above All”

Montebello, CA

#4 Jul 21, 2012
yuuuup wrote:
so what?
This is a topix area about Montebello, the episode occured in Montebello, and it raised awareness about a dwindling ethnic group in Montebello. That is so what.
Ozzie Guillen

Chicago, IL

#6 Jul 22, 2012
I'm waiting for the episode when this Jeff clown goes heads to head with Dave Hester. Dave's gonna run him up and clean him out.
Chilly

Denver, CO

#7 Mar 2, 2015
The show is scripted with planted items. The values for about anything are 50% over eBay completed auctions. Real storage unit auctions don't have the same characters fighting each other bidding. The guy who dresses up like a cholo doesn't have the money to bid so as Hester's winning lawsuit versus A&E pointed out, they buy for him. Weiss puts his own items in his winning units. People eat this show up. Real auctions are 90% junk from broke people.

“Hilltop Park Above All”

Montebello, CA

#8 Mar 2, 2015
Chilly wrote:
The show is scripted with planted items. The values for about anything are 50% over eBay completed auctions. Real storage unit auctions don't have the same characters fighting each other bidding. The guy who dresses up like a cholo doesn't have the money to bid so as Hester's winning lawsuit versus A&E pointed out, they buy for him. Weiss puts his own items in his winning units. People eat this show up. Real auctions are 90% junk from broke people.
Having been bidding and buying storage units off and on for the last 30 years, I would say that more like 75% are junk from broke people, but the 25% that is left consists of good furniture, antiques, and collectibles from bankrupt, broke, and deceased people. However, even the junk can be given or sold to lower level flea market sellers and can generate money. I, however, have NEVER found money, real jewelry, coin collections, or other small valuables in such units. Almost always, these items have been removed by the unit owners before the units are abandoned. Only dead people's units have generated such items, from what others who have been struck by lightning in finding such items.

Reportedly, the items in the units that are bid on by the show's characters ARE items from actual storage units, just not necessarily those storage units. Whether or not these are 'real' auctions, they look like them, and as not all of the 'auctions' of the storage units are shown on TV, presumably some of them are won by the crowd of people that are not TV characters. This can be inferred when the auctioneers say there are 20 units for sale, but only 5 or so are shown on the show.

I haven't seen many unit auctions go as high as the ones on the show, but I have seen some obviously high quality units go for thousands of dollars.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Costa Mesa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Santa Ana cops finally arrest 12 gang members (Feb '08) 19 hr El Jiringas 1,153
News Tustin police seek two males in string of walle... 21 hr mar 1
News In Anaheim, thousands are pumped for Donald Trump Wed Billy The Kid 8
News Costa Mesa: Donald Trump headed to Orange Count... May 9 cornersr3 1
News Anti-Trump Protests Rage, Mexican Flags Fly Out... May 3 TRUMP YES 2
News Protesters take to streets after Trump rally in... Apr 30 Raydot 5
News Suspicious package reported at Santa Ana DMV, b... Apr 29 June Ann 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Costa Mesa Mortgages