Why live in Montana?
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Halftime

United States

#1 Aug 17, 2009
My spouse lived in Montana before we met. I have lived in Oklahoma all of my life. My spouse wants to move back to montana. I have done a lot of research and it looks like it would cost a lot to live in montana. And don't tell me that the view is worth it. We are down in southeast Oklahoma and it is beautiful here. Lots of trees, mountains,rivers and good country living. I would like to know the good things about living in Montana from the people who live there now.
Tommy Waters

Missoula, MT

#2 Sep 28, 2009
I've been in SW Montana for over 5 yrs now. Lived most of my life in NE Arkansas and Kansas City. I've spent a lot of time in SE Oklahoma and even went to basic at Ft Sill back in 1990.

Yes, it's expensive to live here and people around here think that $8.00 an hour jobs are great. You see people with B.A.'s and even Masters working for pennies on the dollar of what they would make anywhere else in this country.

I would be the last to tell ya the view is worth it since I know that where you are now is just as gorgeous. The view is great here if you can stand the smoke from the forest fires.

But, you asked about the good things. Lot's of space. I go on hikes into the wilderness and see nobody for days. Sometimes it feels like there's nobody on the planet but me. Helps with my PTSD that Iraq gave me.. ha

Seriously though, I do miss Arkansas and would love to move back there. SE Oklahoma even seems very nice to me right about now.

Since: Sep 10

Florence, MT

#3 Sep 28, 2010
I have been living here in western montana for about 7 years. The scenery is spectacular, but with all the slums and gangs it is flat unsafe to live here. I think every other house is a meth house. Then you have to deal with tempurature inversions choking on smoke year round. Traffic jams between here and Missoula is a constant concern. Everyone has a handgun and you never know when someone might shoot you. Cost of living is out the door, can't believe how expensive a home is. People here are honery, if you have a break down by the time you are able to get a wrecker your car has been stripped or stolen. I wouldn't move here if I were you.
just wondering

Summersville, WV

#4 Sep 30, 2010
we are planning to move from wv to hamilton mt we drove out and fell in love we hane a rv do you know of a good park to stay
Not as bad as you think

Mount Airy, GA

#6 Sep 30, 2010
An $8.00 an hour job is better than no job.
Compare the cost of living in Mt. to Michigan, and it's a no-brainer. Our taxes are much higher, sales tax is 8.5%, crime is way out of control, there's absolutely no space here, and gas is $2.95 a gall. here when it is $2.70 in Mt.
Be happy w/what you have.

Since: Sep 10

Florence, MT

#7 Sep 30, 2010
Not as bad as you think wrote:
An $8.00 an hour job is better than no job.
Compare the cost of living in Mt. to Michigan, and it's a no-brainer. Our taxes are much higher, sales tax is 8.5%, crime is way out of control, there's absolutely no space here, and gas is $2.95 a gall. here when it is $2.70 in Mt.
Be happy w/what you have.
Shhhhush! I was being sarcastic...I have never lived in a place that I so much enjoyed. Seems that those who are creative around here always have a job and decent place to live.
Mury39

Missoula, MT

#8 Jan 5, 2012
Halftime wrote:
My spouse lived in Montana before we met. I have lived in Oklahoma all of my life. My spouse wants to move back to montana. I have done a lot of research and it looks like it would cost a lot to live in montana. And don't tell me that the view is worth it. We are down in southeast Oklahoma and it is beautiful here. Lots of trees, mountains,rivers and good country living. I would like to know the good things about living in Montana from the people who live there now.
Sorry if there are several blank replies before this message-this is my first time in this forum.

My wife & I moved here 3 yrs.- 8 months ago, and 6 months after getting here we realized we had made a mistake. It isn't the beauty & climate we dislike, it's the culture of the people. Many big city folk have come here & brought it with them. We live in the Bitterroot Valley of western Montana. Having the big city (Missoula) about 45 min. away is very convenient, get in and do the monthly shopping and get out. The forest fire smoke can be bad at times, but that can vary from year to year. We do get some wind here from time to time and we enjoy that; some people don't. If we could sell our home here we would and move back to Idaho; a totally different culture of people there. People here seem to be stand-offish; don't come too close to me, I don't want to get to know you that badly. People here just are not that friendly. For example: we left the big city, Denver, in Nov. of 2007 & moved to Idaho & lived there 5 1/2 months. We wanted to buy a home there but could not find anything that suited our needs, so we came over here & there was much more to choose from, so we bought here. The rental house we were in over in Idaho was not working out for us so we had to get out of there. It was moldy & musty smelling. Anyway, during our short time in Idaho were invited over to people's homes for dinner about 10 times. Over here, 4 times in about 3+ years. People here won't generally stop and talk to you and just be human.
Pray about your dilemma and God will direct you.
FLATHEAD lake

Tempe, AZ

#9 Jul 26, 2012
Thinking of moving from AZ to Woods Bay with my 22 year old son...need advice..good idea it not?
Guido

Sesto San Giovanni, Italy

#10 Dec 24, 2012
Mi Piace l'america ! forse perche sono deluso dal mio paese ma ! gli stati uniti d'america sono veramente incantevoli.
Sono venuto in USA gi 3 volte spero la prossima volta di veire a visitare il Montana.
Mi sono trovato sempre molto bene con la gente anche se in mio Inglese veramente scarso
" sono italiano "
Spero che, la gente del Montana non sia cos chiusa come descritto in questo forum perche a m piace molto parlare.
Ciao a tutti
----------
Likes america! perhaps because I am disappointed with my country but! the united states of america are really nice.
I came to USA 3 times already I hope the next time veire to visit Montana.
I was always very good with people even if my English is really poor
"I'm Italian"
I hope that the people of Montana is not as closed as described in this forum because I like so much about.
Hello to all
Mike

Worth, IL

#11 Jan 21, 2013
Hi my name is mike I am a truck driver with two new twin boys and have thought many times about moving to Montana because of the scenery and the supposed driving jobs in that area. I read your post and never thought in a million years that there would be a problem with gangs and ignorant people. I guess we can romanticize things when were desperate to leave to the greener side of the grass . Don't have the patients to write a long text at the moment just want to get out of this shit hole of Chicago that I live in with these ignorant it's all about me ass holes that I live around. Thieves , gang bangers, losers, hardasses, white trash , black trash , Mexican trash , nothing but trash everywhere I look and I can't take it. ANOTHER MINUTE. Sick of assholes and ignorant people
amyliabdla

Spokane, WA

#12 Jan 25, 2013
Mury39
If you still have your home, please let me know. I'd be willing to look at it. While Missoula isn't my first city of choice, it is very convenient to my mother's (and one of the state's) few heart docs. I feel bad that this experience for you was fairly negative. Growing up in Helena, the smoke is a reminder of what you still have, remember that you're in a valley. And the stand-off-ishness of the people - well that is something you work on. Yes, it is a closed culture. Missoula is used to short-term drop ins. The locals will eventually break, you just have to find their friendly spot. I lived in ID for several years and found the people even more difficult to get to know. At least Montanan's will share their ammo and beer.
Mury39 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry if there are several blank replies before this message-this is my first time in this forum.
My wife & I moved here 3 yrs.- 8 months ago, and 6 months after getting here we realized we had made a mistake. It isn't the beauty & climate we dislike, it's the culture of the people. Many big city folk have come here & brought it with them. We live in the Bitterroot Valley of western Montana. Having the big city (Missoula) about 45 min. away is very convenient, get in and do the monthly shopping and get out. The forest fire smoke can be bad at times, but that can vary from year to year. We do get some wind here from time to time and we enjoy that; some people don't. If we could sell our home here we would and move back to Idaho; a totally different culture of people there. People here seem to be stand-offish; don't come too close to me, I don't want to get to know you that badly. People here just are not that friendly. For example: we left the big city, Denver, in Nov. of 2007 & moved to Idaho & lived there 5 1/2 months. We wanted to buy a home there but could not find anything that suited our needs, so we came over here & there was much more to choose from, so we bought here. The rental house we were in over in Idaho was not working out for us so we had to get out of there. It was moldy & musty smelling. Anyway, during our short time in Idaho were invited over to people's homes for dinner about 10 times. Over here, 4 times in about 3+ years. People here won't generally stop and talk to you and just be human.
Pray about your dilemma and God will direct you.
kes

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Jan 29, 2013
I left billings 30yrs ago. It my home. I planned to move my family back in a few months. But, the more i research, the more worried i get. Cost of living, now im hearing gangs and meth. Maybe those people haven't lived in NM or AZ. Not where i want to raise my daughter. HELP!
bill

Toccoa, GA

#14 May 22, 2013
I live in Ohio. I own property in both Mt., and Cl Va. Both properties have cabins that could be year-round residences.

When we visit Clintwood, the folks are salt of the earth! We have been invited to dinners, church gatherings (we're Catholic, they're Baptist). Best folks in the world!

When we visit Mt.(Bitteroot Valley), guess what...same thing! We were there for Thanksgiving, hiking about 2 miles from our property, and ran into some locals that invited us to Thanksgiving dinner on the spot! We met nearly the entire neighborhood, and had a blast. We hung with all the locals, and when we visit, we have even stayed overnight in their homes.

Here's the thing...there are Meth labs EVERYWHERE. Ohio, Va, Mt., NYC, Miami. It's an epidemic that you will not escape. With whom you choose to live near, and associate with is the key. In Ohio, I live in the country on a 420 acre farm. There are meth lab raids every week in my county, yet the tour busses roll through here everyday, looking at the scenery, the bucolic amish folks, and the dirt roads. It's still a nice place, even if there is a hidden element.

If you want to move to Mt. for the scenery, do it! Don't let a bunch of drug addicts change your life! Follow your dreams! If more of you were to move to Mt., you might be the folks to help clean up the "element". But by God, don't let these low lifers monopolize this beautiful country of ours!
Dave

Pearl City, HI

#15 May 31, 2013
I was born and raised in Western Montana. I have lived in Europe and I own a home in Hawaii where my children are growing up. My relatives still live in my Montana home town. I can take my family just about anywhere they want to go for vacations but they choose Montana. I bought a cabin there to go on vacation from Hawaii. Unempoyment is bad there but it forces people to do things like plant gardens, hunt for meat, fish, chop wood, and trade with locals. It's a better, healthier way of life. If you don't like strangers waving at you, don't go there. If you don't like getting dirty or you don't want your kids to scrape a knee, stay where you are. If you don't like wildlife or 4 distinct seasons, Montana is not for you. Montana's population hasn't really changed in the past 40 years. Some countys still don't have a stop light and you may have to drive 100 miles every 6 months to buy supplies. You can still live a simple life there. I hope city folks don't move there because I still enjoy the same Montana that it was when I was a kid.
caligirlinmontan a

United States

#16 Jun 1, 2013
I was born and raised in California, moved to Montana a few months ago for my husbands job. We are in eastern Montana, and LOVE it! As mentioned by another person, its all what you make it. People here are very friendly, it's silly but I have had to learn to ride my bike one handed because EVERY car that passes me waves and I don't want to be rude.so I wave back. I have 2 small children who love the wide open spaces and tons of nature and wildlife! The schools here are awesome with very small class sizes. The weather is great, I love 4 seasons as it keeps things from getting boring. Montana is very beautiful, and I am excited to.call it home!
Berja8

Essex Junction, VT

#17 Jun 11, 2013
I am in love with Montana but really don't know much about it!! I see all these nature/wildlife shows and they always show the Teton Mountain Range, Yellowstone National Park and the absolute awe & jaw dropping scenery of Montana. I live here in upper Vermont. While it's pretty here and we are supposed to have 4 seasons but actually only have 3-cold, hot & crappy. I would seriously move from here to Montana in a heartbeat. I hear the schools are great & up to par with the teaching..how are jobs? Unemployment seems to be hitting hard there just like everywhere else--we've lost 11% of our people here in Vermont in the past 3 years. We don't have a lot of crime, barely have many African American people, Asian or other--mostly white--a lot of ignorant white with not a lot of training because the schools here don't do that...just starting to get some sex crime crap here--disguised as "Spas" or "Massage Parlours", came here from New York and Massachusetts and set up shop in Burlington, Rutland, St. Albans areas---so a little bit of that, have had a few missing persons cases but overall, crime very low. Rent very high here as well as house prices, work pay for what you pay for rent is crazy--if you work 40+ hours per week at the $8.00 per hour mark then you may make $360.00 after taxes but realistically, when the rent is $900.00 to $1,100.00 for a 1 bedroom or less...hmmm..well, you do the math........Can someone let me know what are is best in Montana? I was looking at the area of Kalispar or the Glacier National Park area. Any news would be great!
Kristina

Knoxville, TN

#18 Jul 8, 2013
kes wrote:
I left billings 30yrs ago. It my home. I planned to move my family back in a few months. But, the more i research, the more worried i get. Cost of living, now im hearing gangs and meth. Maybe those people haven't lived in NM or AZ. Not where i want to raise my daughter. HELP!
Unfortunately, any mountain/spacious area you go in America is going to be high in meth.:(
Rose

Cape Coral, FL

#19 Jul 15, 2013
Thinking about moving to MT.
I want to be far away from liberals and all the non sense. I've had it.
I want to homestead, a few acres will do fine.
My disgust with libs is such,I trade my daily swim at the beach, as long as guarantee I will not be around them
mgp

Dallas, TX

#20 Aug 1, 2013
wow...2.95 a gallon sounds great. Im from Texas and we are paying 3.59 a gallon. Im thinking about moving to Montana, but would like to find a job there first! Any suggestions as to where someone could find a job?
Fish out of water

United States

#21 Aug 2, 2013
I moved to MT with my husband who is a native Montanan and I've never been so disgusted by a a state and group of people in my life. Unless you're completely uneducated, white trash, a social reject, or a flaming liberal - MT is not a good place for a permanent home. As a vacation spot it is great, and I always loved it prior to actually moving here. The professors and students in the local universities all think they're brilliant when In reality, MT universities are amongst the worst in the country. The medical care a facilities are also amongst the worst in the country, but since most of the the locals don't have an understanding of what good medical care looks like the doctors from mediocre schools are gods in this state... And they don't let you forget it. I've lived all over the world and this is by far the most pathetic place I've ever been. Yes, the surrounding areas are gorgeous, but you can find that in lots of different places around the US, and not have to deal wih such utter incompetence. I fear my children will grow up to be one of these worthless losers. I wish we had never moved here. It was a HUGE mistake.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corvallis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Noah's Arc Veterinary Hospital - Shura ... (Mar '11) Jul '15 Mostabear Newfoun... 12
News Coroner's inquest clears Darby marshal in fatal... (Jul '06) Jun '15 Lovescks 9
first st Mar '15 ziesing13 1
News Fire fighting used to be effective (Jan '15) Jan '15 jordennancy23 1
News Inmate ends escape try so others could sleep (Sep '14) Sep '14 Christsharians on... 2
Steve and Levi Poindexter (Apr '09) Jul '14 levi 11
News Warren E. Herbert (Apr '14) Apr '14 Abu Ben Adam 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Corvallis Mortgages