Rodeo royalty

Aug 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Cortez Journal News

Journal/Paula Bostrom Junior Queen contestant Elizabeth Hoch gives a big smile atop her horse Lulu as she performs the flag run in the 2012 Ute Mountain Roundup Rodeo Royalty competition July 30 at the Montezuma County Fairgrounds.

Comments
1 - 7 of 7 Comments Last updated Aug 5, 2011

“FED UP WITH TOPIX”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#1 Aug 5, 2011
The Rodeo is cruel



http://www.youtube.com/watch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

http://www.saynotorodeo.org/

Rodeo FACTS
http://www.idausa.org/facts/rodeos.html

The Rodeo is nothing more than a blatant exhibition of animal abuse which has no more place in a civilized society than dog fighting or bear baiting. Watching frightened and defenseless animals being tortured and humiliated is not "entertainment." There is nothing to be proud of when it comes to rodeos. These animals are terrified and people actually laugh at their pain.
What kind of humanity is that? Mocking and laughing at another living creature's pain, suffering and humiliation? That is not "family fun" or "entertainment." It is Animal Cruelty.

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

#2 Aug 5, 2011
LiddySays wrote:
The Rodeo is cruel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =p05zSngwJTcXX
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
http://www.saynotorodeo.org/
Rodeo FACTS
http://www.idausa.org/facts/rodeos.html
The Rodeo is nothing more than a blatant exhibition of animal abuse which has no more place in a civilized society than dog fighting or bear baiting. Watching frightened and defenseless animals being tortured and humiliated is not "entertainment." There is nothing to be proud of when it comes to rodeos. These animals are terrified and people actually laugh at their pain.
What kind of humanity is that? Mocking and laughing at another living creature's pain, suffering and humiliation? That is not "family fun" or "entertainment." It is Animal Cruelty.
How does one "humiliate" an animal? Humiliation, like rights, is purely a human concept. Anthropomorphizing and melodrama do not lend any credence to your comments.

“Ahimsa”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#3 Aug 5, 2011
I've been to rodeos in the past, and it's something I won't do again. What I witnessed was not entertainment, in my view, it was cruelty.

What purpose is served by slamming animals to the ground, chasing them around an arena on horseback, or, tossing a rope around their necks and jerking them down?

There are many other competitive sports that don't require the use of animals to prove ones prowess, speed, or agility.
Harvest the trolls

Virginia Beach, VA

#4 Aug 5, 2011
Squach wrote:
<quoted text>How does one "humiliate" an animal? Humiliation, like rights, is purely a human concept. Anthropomorphizing and melodrama do not lend any credence to your comments.
We all can see that YOU know humiliation well. You humiliate yourself daily on topix. Nothing you post shows the slightest bit of intelligence or relevance. You spend every minute of your wretched life on topix. Stupid, stupid troll.

“FED UP WITH TOPIX”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#5 Aug 5, 2011
Squach wrote:
<quoted text>How does one "humiliate" an animal? Humiliation, like rights, is purely a human concept. Anthropomorphizing and melodrama do not lend any credence to your comments.
Dignity, and humiliation can be extended beyond the human world because the mentality behind denying the dignity of others is the same whoever is being humiliated, and the physical and emotional consequences for the humiliated party are very real. What we see on the outside tells us a lot about whatís happening inside an animals head, animal emotions arenít all that mysterious. Human Beings aren't the only species with feelings, and with the knowledge that what hurts us, hurts them comes the enormous responsibility and obligation to treat other species with respect, appreciation, and compassion.

Good read, When Elephants Weep: the emotional lives of animals, by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson &Susan McCarthy

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

#6 Aug 5, 2011
metta wrote:
I've been to rodeos in the past, and it's something I won't do again. What I witnessed was not entertainment, in my view, it was cruelty.
What purpose is served by slamming animals to the ground, chasing them around an arena on horseback, or, tossing a rope around their necks and jerking them down?
There are many other competitive sports that don't require the use of animals to prove ones prowess, speed, or agility.
Rodeo is the preservation of cowboy skills. Those skills were once very useful in the delivery of beef to the rail heads for shipment to the cities. Those skills are still used on non-factory ranches that raise beef. Originally Rodeo was a competition among cowboys to see who was the best wrangler but, like so many other things, it has been commercialized into something far from it's roots. I've often wondered how many of today's rodeo stars would be able to function as a real cowboy. My bet would be not many.

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

#8 Aug 5, 2011
LiddySays wrote:
<quoted text>
Dignity, and humiliation can be extended beyond the human world because the mentality behind denying the dignity of others is the same whoever is being humiliated, and the physical and emotional consequences for the humiliated party are very real. What we see on the outside tells us a lot about whatís happening inside an animals head, animal emotions arenít all that mysterious. Human Beings aren't the only species with feelings, and with the knowledge that what hurts us, hurts them comes the enormous responsibility and obligation to treat other species with respect, appreciation, and compassion.
Good read, When Elephants Weep: the emotional lives of animals, by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson &Susan McCarthy
I agree that animals have feelings but I don't see them being "humiliated" anywhere but in our minds. I'll check out the reading you suggest and get back to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cortez Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CO Who do you support for Governor in Colorado in ... (Oct '10) Aug 2 pacostacos 287
Why July 25 Is a Tragic Date in Puerto Rican Hi... Aug 1 El Cacique 3
US Commonwealth of Puerto Rico Prepares to Default Jul '14 LongIslander1987 2
Granite stolen from one shop, found at another Jul '14 TooHigh 2
Reader photos: Puerto Ricans march for independ... Jun '14 LongIslander1987 2
Working in Cortez May '14 John Doe 1
Fight for 'Alcatraz of Caribbean' in Puerto Rico May '14 Jorge 1
•••
•••
•••

Cortez Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Cortez People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Cortez News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Cortez
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••