Ed Morales: Puerto Ricos future shoul...

Ed Morales: Puerto Ricos future should be clearer

There are 19 comments on the Charleston Gazette story from Sep 3, 2013, titled Ed Morales: Puerto Ricos future should be clearer. In it, Charleston Gazette reports that:

By Puerto Ricans have been second-class citizens for too long. Although they have participated as Americans both in war and as mainland citizens, island Puerto Ricans still can't vote for the president of the United States.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Charleston Gazette.

Allan

United States

#2 Sep 3, 2013
Jorge wrote:
But, God help if we, Puerto Ricans, turn around and do the same, by criticizing the gringo lifestyle and their negative attitudes towards anyone critizing them.
Thats all you ever do idiot ! you are not part of the solution ,You are as dense as they come
Allan

United States

#3 Sep 3, 2013
Jorge wrote:
May 14, 2010-Puerto Ricans on the island badmouthing those in the states?
Can you give an example.
It seems someone has moved away from that approach........
Allan

United States

#5 Sep 3, 2013
Yawn, sounds like a few more "gringo" posts to come

El cacique

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#6 Sep 3, 2013
Allan wrote:
Yawn, sounds like a few more "gringo" posts to come
He may not even be a native islander. I'm beginning to believe he's not.

"We islanders this"...."We islanders that"......

He tries too damn hard.

Something is up.

Since: Oct 12

Marlboro, NJ

#7 Sep 3, 2013
That article was written by a typical mainland independenista completely out of touch with reality.

If Puerto Rico is to become independent it should be via a super-majority vote by those who actually live in Puerto Rico.

And it certainly won't include dual citizenship and endless blank checks like the writer proposes - both of which have already been ruled out countless times. Can't have it both ways ...

Marlboro, NJ

#9 Sep 3, 2013
Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do some US gringos insist on telling us, Puerto Ricans, what to do and how to do it?
It is our entitlement to demand an end to US colonialism in Puerto Rico but not at the expense of using it to exert gringo control in every sentence, word or phrase.
Puerto Ricans did not invite the gringo here, these came on their own, so we are entitle to demand an end to the US colonial empire here.
There have been, since I'm posting here in the Puerto Rico forum, way too many gringos, p issed at how we, islanders, handle our daily business and blaming us for our present problems.
This man's solution is to impose something against the will of 95% of the populace with a number of conditions that Congress has already ruled out as being unacceptable - that's all I am saying. Im not trying to insult or offend anyone.

Marlboro, NJ

#11 Sep 3, 2013
Look Jorge, there is no majority for any particular option. Yes ... statehood comes the closest to a majority but there are still more overall opposed than in favor.

We cannot act until the majority of Puerto Ricans favor statehood by 50%+ with relatively few blank ballots.

Marlboro, NJ

#13 Sep 3, 2013
Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>
Look LI, there is a majority demanding Congress to end colonialism in Puerto Rico.
The US agenda has always been in perpetuating their empire here.
Its an international disgrace for the US to insist keeping colonies to be exploited.
Even when Congress tries to do something they always end up having to include the status quo thanks to all the lobbying by the oh yeah guess who? The POPULARES
Allan

United States

#14 Sep 3, 2013
Exploited ? Majority demanding ? show me the proof for that

Since: Mar 08

Allentown, PA

#16 Sep 3, 2013
LongIslander1987 wrote:
That article was written by a typical mainland independenista completely out of touch with reality.
If Puerto Rico is to become independent it should be via a super-majority vote by those who actually live in Puerto Rico.
And it certainly won't include dual citizenship and endless blank checks like the writer proposes - both of which have already been ruled out countless times. Can't have it both ways ...
Blank checks? That caught my eye too.
"Puerto Rico should be granted its independence, but with a period of dual citizenship, and a substantial financial package, including favorable trade terms."
Puerto Rico would financially sink if it became independent. It sounds like the writer wants independence, but not too much independence.
Allan

United States

#18 Sep 3, 2013
Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>
The Congressman is justifying his colony and putting the blame on us, for God's sakes!

I'll believe Congress when it acknowledges its accountability for keeping a 115 yrs imperial rule in PR.
LOL at least you are clear about it .....
Allan

United States

#19 Sep 3, 2013
I loved this by the way " his "pseudo expert on Puerto Rico" doesnt even live here, in Puerto Rico." So reminescent of a white pride rally of "yonder days"

Marlboro, NJ

#20 Sep 4, 2013
LookingToEscape wrote:
<quoted text>
Blank checks? That caught my eye too.
"Puerto Rico should be granted its independence, but with a period of dual citizenship, and a substantial financial package, including favorable trade terms."
Puerto Rico would financially sink if it became independent. It sounds like the writer wants independence, but not too much independence.
The problem with the writer is that if he had paid attention to the status hearing that he blasts he would have noticed that they specifically ruled out dual citizenship/retention of US citizenship and favorable trade terms under any form of independence.

This have it both ways in the separatist crowd must stop. If you want to keep US citizenship that badly then you have to stay under US sovereignty - either as a state or under the current territory status.
Allan

United States

#22 Sep 4, 2013
Thats right, nobody to replace the mobility scooter if the island is not a part of the US.

Marlboro, NJ

#23 Sep 4, 2013
Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>
What?????
Straight from the mouth of Sen. Wyden.

"Pienso que una ciudadanía común es incompatible con tener una soberanía separada”."
This is why so many people cast a blank ballot rather than fall into the Soberanista trap. It has nothing to do with "colonialism" but rather preserving the most highly valued citizenship in the universe.
Allan

United States

#25 Sep 4, 2013
LOL ,Welcome to the US

El cacique

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#26 Sep 4, 2013
Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do some US gringos insist on telling us, Puerto Ricans, what to do and how to do it?
It is our entitlement to demand an end to US colonialism in Puerto Rico but not at the expense of using it to exert gringo control in every sentence, word or phrase.
Puerto Ricans did not invite the gringo here, these came on their own, so we are entitle to demand an end to the US colonial empire here.
There have been, since I'm posting here in the Puerto Rico forum, way too many gringos, p issed at how we, islanders, handle our daily business and blaming us for our present problems.
"Why do some US gringos insist on telling us, Puerto Ricans, what to do and how to do it?"

It is our entitlement to demand an end to US colonial empire"

(unquote)

TP: PR is a domestic problem. ALL Americans have a say. Get used to it!!

Marlboro, NJ

#27 Sep 4, 2013
Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you insist on citing someone who refuses to acknowledge the tyranny of "taxation without representation"?
Errrm on August 1st he said that the only options are statehood or independence, and that there would be no US citizenship under any form of independence.
Allan

United States

#29 Sep 4, 2013
Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>
He can say mass, for all I care.
The man is an imperialist defending his US colony here.
LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cortez Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Attempting To Woo Latino Voters, Marco Rubio Ge... Oct '16 Mitt s Airtight D... 3
Burglaries, Vandalism, Attempted Arson in Dolor... (Oct '15) Sep '16 Al Dossary 2
News Gay boxer dedicates fight to Pulse nightclub ma... Jul '16 david traversa 3
Amanda in the black mercedes (Jan '16) Jan '16 cantstandathief 1
Curious (Apr '15) Apr '15 Curious 1
Working in Cortez (May '14) Oct '14 hello 2
Cortez January 30th 2014 meetings (Dec '13) Dec '13 DuaneCordova 1

Cortez Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cortez Mortgages