Campaign to ban plastic and paper bag...

Campaign to ban plastic and paper bags in Marin may miss Earth ...

There are 129 comments on the Marin Independent Journal story from Jan 14, 2010, titled Campaign to ban plastic and paper bags in Marin may miss Earth .... In it, Marin Independent Journal reports that:

He still likes the idea, but the goal of a countywide ban on the use of plastic and paper bags by Earth Day - April 22 - may not be feasible, Marin Supervisor Charles McGlashan acknowledged this week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Marin Independent Journal.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Marin Native

San Rafael, CA

#1 Jan 14, 2010
No plastic bags
And all that smelly used kitty litter in the can for up to 7 days in the summer heat?
I think not
Its gonna get flushed thanks to Chuckie and his "vision"
Here it comes

United States

#2 Jan 14, 2010
"Everyone will be required to change their underware twice a day. And to check, all underware will now be worn on the outside."

Since: Apr 09

Marin County, CA

#3 Jan 14, 2010
McGassAgain just hasn't figured out how he can personally profit from such a ban. As soon as he does, he'll be in favor of doing it immediately.
Just a Thought

San Rafael, CA

#4 Jan 14, 2010
Plastic bags = Yes. The free ones they give away at grocery stores, retail stores, etc. The ones that are there to take the place of paper bags. I see a use for plastic when it comes to produce or other "wet" items. They last forever and clog up our waterways & landfills. A major eyesore and pollutant. The majority are tossed directly into the garbage or left to blow in the wind. I will buy plastic bags for litter box duty and the like.

Paper bags however I am not in support of banning. Besides having a longer useful life they are biodegradable, reuseable, recyclable and use a renewable resource to make them.
Pot Smoking Moronite

United States

#5 Jan 14, 2010
Additionally, BOS are considering banning regular toilet paper. Moronites will only be able to purchase recycled toilet paper!

“"ERACISM in 2010"”

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#6 Jan 14, 2010
We must ban plastic bags and anything elese harmful to the environment. If not ban it, then tax it.
lON

United States

#7 Jan 14, 2010
Marin Jim wrote:
We must ban plastic bags and anything elese harmful to the environment. If not ban it, then tax it.
RACIST COMMMIE!
Koalabear2525

Oakland, CA

#8 Jan 14, 2010
keep paper bags what did we have 60 years ago paper only thing now is the old days you had large bags now what do we get
Youhearditherefi rst

San Rafael, CA

#9 Jan 14, 2010
How about bumper stickers that say: If you don't like plastic bags, don't use them.
Nurse

Ross, CA

#10 Jan 14, 2010
Don't ban it, just charge for it--what it really costs in terms of environmental mitigation. Banning it is absurd, though it would be nice if we all made the change to re-usable bags.

Since: Jan 09

Mill Valley, CA

#11 Jan 14, 2010
If they banned paper bags, the amount of recycling in my house would go down A LOT as that is what all paper and glass items go into before going to the blue can. I would walk items out to the blue can. My wife, not so much. She would deposit everything into the regular garbage.
GetYourMarinHead Out

Martinez, CA

#12 Jan 14, 2010
Attention Shoppers,,,, Petaluma welcomes you..... No questions asked!
SameStoryDiffere ntDay

San Anselmo, CA

#13 Jan 15, 2010
How convenient that Aah Haa, Inc./ Clean Conscious Goods is based right here in Marin. For those who don't know, they make reusable shopping bags and they are based in Marin. I wonder how much they've promised to make sure the current board of supes retain a seat next election in exchange for making this ban go through? They already have their website ramped up for the upcoming windfall of money headed their way http://www.cleanconsciencegoods.com/blog just sayin'
Send them to China

United States

#14 Jan 15, 2010
"Judi Shils, executive director of Teens Turning Green, hosted a dinner meeting of Marin grocery owners and executives at her San Rafael home Tuesday night. Last month, Shils hosted a similar meeting that also included retailers, Marin mayors and council members. Next week, Nordstrom is helping to coordinate a meeting of retailers at The Village shopping center in Corte Madera.

"This, in my mind, is such a non-issue," Shils said. "We're sitting with the world at a precipice right now, and we're talking about banning bags - making it a little bit more inconvenient for the consumer. It should be a no-brainer."

Guess she is following the religion of Mr. Al Gore, who invented the internet (cough cough). The Sky is falling, the Sky is falling, the ice caps are melting, and all is upside down. NOT.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in reusing my shopping bags (paper or cloth) but this is an asinine idea, to FORCE people. Why turn businesses upside down but then again none of these folks, board members have ever operated their own successful business now have they?
Send them to China

United States

#15 Jan 15, 2010
Marin Jim wrote:
Tax monger. Your usual deweeb comments.
SameStoryDiffere ntDay

San Anselmo, CA

#16 Jan 15, 2010
I demand the hospital reuse IV bags! I demand the board of supervisors turn in their county gas cards and take the bus to work! I demand the coroner use reusable body bags! I demand the Green Teens over at Redwood High and Marin Academy and Marin Catholic leave their BMWs at home and ride a bike! I demand that we reuse all the election ballots from Ronald Reagan's election - and save some number two pencil led by leaving the votes the same! Marin Board of Supervisors, your tax payer base are losing jobs and in return you are losing property tax income - and this is what you belly up to the bar with?! Bag bans and high dollar dinners with green organizations - you are all ill!
Galaxybeing

Santa Clara, CA

#17 Jan 15, 2010
Why not ban all packaging. And motor vehicles. And noise.
Iconoclast

San Rafael, CA

#18 Jan 15, 2010
Tokenism...sure plastic is bad, but one Hispanic immigrant dropping four children and driving around in an old SUV will end up creating as much or more pollution as all the plastic bags used in a day.
Limit the population growth of Marin by rescinding the city of refuge nonsense and stop allowing our county to be a magnet to peasants that want to breed as though they were in rural Central America while using our level of consumer goods and energy.
Day Hiker

Novato, CA

#19 Jan 15, 2010
The best use of a plastic bag would be over McGlashan's head. Get the hell out of our lives Chuckie.
citizen taxpayer

AOL

#20 Jan 15, 2010
"Right now, our board has a really full agenda dealing with the structural budget deficit."
No shit Sherlock.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corte Madera Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Russian Troops Demand More Prostitutes Apr 26 Trumptooner yay yay 1
100 days Better than 99 Days Apr 24 schnoooze 1
Trump War Promises Apr 19 Lanced 3
News Suspect jailed in Terra Linda sex assault; Gree... (Apr '09) Mar 29 BurnedOut 58
Cannibal Tourists Back ?? Mar '17 Desk Sgt Notes 1
More Russians In Government Mar '17 Agent Orange Orifice 1
News The Latest: Evacuation order remains after leve... Feb '17 Grandmother Bee 1

Corte Madera Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Corte Madera Mortgages