United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

Judged:

its a real shame that vicky prater and her people defeated a power plant for this community it will set this town back for a long time it would have been growth and jobs too i have always thought corsicana was a backwards community stuck in a time warp .
Noahzark

Paige, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

Randallh
I completely agree with you. We moved into Navarro county recently following retirement. In our previous communities -- plural--- there were natural gas fired power plants in the community. Near these plans were houses, schools, parks, medical care facilities. We never thought ANYTHING about it --- EVER
As I mentioned in an earlier posting, since we are new to the community, we are not completelyaware of all of the past issues surrounding the power plant. And If I understand it correctly, here was another power plant that was considering this county but it was driven away as well.
I just read Mayor McClanahan's letter regarding the proposed economic impact of the one plant being about $1.6 billion over 10 years. So I checked online with the Temple Daily Telegram archives and found that an economic impact consultant estimated the economic impact of theTemple Panda power plat is $1.6 billion over 10 years.
So I would guess we would have to double this $1.6 billion economic impact (loss) for the two power plans that have now been run off from Navarro County. I don't know this Prater lady, but I am given the chance, I will certainly ask her what SHE plans to do to make up the $1.6 billion she has cost all of us in Navarro County.
The opportunity most regretted is the golden opportunity that is lost...
The opportunity that is most regretted is the opportunity one never takes.
What a shame, what a shame indeed for us all--- for future generations yet to come.
Noahzark

Paige, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

Corsicana — A spokesman for Pattern Energy confirmed Tuesday the company has submitted a request to the Texas Commision on Environmental Quality to drop its air permit application for a gas-fired power plant in Navarro County, the project known as Navarro Generating.

Matt Dallas of Pattern Energy said the request was to be delivered to the TCEQ in Austin on Tuesday. TCEQ spokesman Andrea Morrow confirmed the agency received the request Tuesday afternoon.

The move scraps plans for the construction of a gas-fired power generating plant in the southern portion of Navarro County, the second such plant application to be dropped in Navarro County.

“The company has concluded that current power market conditions are not attractive for constructing the project,” said Chris Shugart, project manager for the proposed plant, in an email to the Daily Sun.

“However, the company intends to maintain the site available for further development and plans to participate in the ongoing discussions in the marketplace to determine how and when a project can be built at this site, and what technology or configuration best meets the market needs,” the release continued.

“Pattern would like to take this opportunity to thank the residents and leadership of Navarro County and the City of Corsicana for their support in our development efforts to date, as this has been a positive relationship that aided in the project’s development prospects.”

Dallas confirmed information contained in a Monday email from Corsicana Mayor Chuck McClanahan about the company’s offer of “several million dollars in community projects” to avoid the expense and duration of a contested permit.

“On a number of occasions Pattern discussed with local officials the potential for the company to fund certain projects that would be beneficial for the community,” Dallas said.“We did offer to discuss this with the COPPS organization, but our invitation to meet on the topic was declined.”

“Probably the bigger story is the job creation and tax revenue that now will not be realized,” Dallas added.

Bob Belcher may be reached by email at belcher@corsicanadailysun.com. Want to “Soundoff” on this story? Email: soundoff@corsicanadailysun.com
Noahzark

Paige, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

FYI-- this is the information I found online from the Temple Daily Telegram:
“The project will create 700 to 800 construction jobs, 27 skilled jobs to operate the facility and 45 indirect jobs within the community, according to a statement from Panda. Construction will start immediately.

The economic impact is expected to be as much as $1.6 billion by 2024, according to a study by Impact Data Source of Austin.

The power plant itself has a tremendous impact because it adds to the entire power grid for the state of Texas,” Temple Mayor Bill Jones III said.“We have the opportunity to have additional power for our community but the bigger picture is what it means to the state of Texas. Temple is on the map for another reason and that will be because of Temple Panda Power.”

(Source: Cristina Waits, Temple Daily Telegram. July 19, 2012)

Oh my goodness! My hunch is that the added tax revenue could have gone a long way toward repairing our Navarro county roads...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Corsicana News Video

•••
•••

Corsicana Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Corsicana People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE