First Prev
of 2
Next Last
get over yourself

Corsicana, TX

#21 Mar 29, 2011
No I was totally agreeing with you. With so much discontent I just don't want to see the votes split and mcc winning.
concerned and confused

Corsicana, TX

#22 Mar 30, 2011
Last I heard prater is still running.
Mr Wisdom

Fort Worth, TX

#23 Mar 30, 2011
FWGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope I wasn't misunderstood. I'm GLAD there's a lot of interest and people willing to serve. I just worry that if there's not a designated percentage (in the Gov race, Perry needed I think 35% to avoid a run-off) that the vote will be split and McC will be the winner. Make sense?
They should let Ralph run against the McC guy. Just 2 options. That’s the only way to win…
The alternative votes are going to be split if we have so many people running for mayor.
FWGirl

Dallas, TX

#24 Mar 30, 2011
I wish we knew the run-off rules. You see, if there is a percentage, say 35% that a candidate must get in order to have a straight up win w/ no run-off, then having lots of candidates is a good thing. Each of the 4 other candidates have friends and family who will definitely vote for them. That brings more voters to the polls who possibly wouldn't otherwise have voted so higher turnout in opposition to McC. Now, if enough people vote for ANY of the 4 other candidates, it'll be much harder for McC to get that 35% and there would be a run-off election between McC and the candidate who had the 2nd largest % of the votes. Have you ever seen a runoff here? We had one in FW last year in a council race so I bet there is a similar system here.

JGK

Since: Dec 08

corsicana

#25 Mar 30, 2011
The new Mayor will have to win with over 50% of the vote. Either in the first election or the run-off held about a month later.

Not as many voters will go to the polls the second time around.
FWGirl

Dallas, TX

#26 Mar 30, 2011
OK, in FW, for council races, if there are more than 2 candidates, one must get 50% or they do a runoff w/ the 2 leading candidates. In 2009 there were more than 5 candidates in one district. The underdog beat the leading candidate in the runoff election partly b/c the losing candidates threw him their support. Out here, in the Birdwell Sibley Senate race, the required figure was also 50%. SO, I'd be willing to bet there's a 50% rule here, too. Having 5 candidates may be a good thing, if the ones campaigning on change will support whoever ends up in a potential runoff w/ McC.

PS: Sorry for posting so much but I'm having a crappy work week and this is a great distraction!
FWGirl

Dallas, TX

#27 Mar 30, 2011
Oops. Missed your post JGK. Glad to see you back!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corsicana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Feb 16 Farts 779
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Feb 4 Farts 614
the 4th one the oldest child she walked away from Jan 28 rea2 1
3 of the four she walked away from Jan 28 rea2 1
Big Hops to open beer bar near downtown Jan '15 Leachmark707 1
Debate: Marijuana - Corsicana, TX (Aug '10) Jan '15 Marty 51
Looking for a photographer (Feb '14) Dec '14 Patches 2

Corsicana News Video

Corsicana Dating
Find my Match