Safety complex signals victory for regionalism

Full story: GoErie.com 39
The Erie County Department of Public Safety has accomplished something we've long advocated. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
RuKiddingMe

Erie, PA

#2 Mar 11, 2009
What a PERFECT example of the Times News being ignorant to the REAL facts of this whole mess. How about listening to the people that work in the industry and all the LIFE threatening problems they have had since this all began? Why don't you EVER publish ANYTHING that ACTUALLY tells the WHOLE truth? There are more than a "FEW" mistakes being made by the new county and yes, people should be worried for their safety!
Land of Oz

Erie, PA

#3 Mar 11, 2009
Tell me ETN, with the City of Erie Police and Millcreek Police keeping some of their staff to dispatch NON-EMERGENCY calls, how is this truly a total CONSOLIDATION? How is this going to save the municipalities money? What a joke! I am waiting for the "Our View" editorial when a catastrophic mistake is made and lives are lost. Wonder how your view of Regionalism will be viewed then. Oh, that's right, it will be buried and never brought to the public's attention. No wonder your subscriptions are down. Maybe if you actually did investigating reporting instead of taking the comments and stories provided to you by county and city government officials, you would actually sell more papers.
Used ta live in Erie

Aiken, SC

#4 Mar 11, 2009
The ETN will never tell you how screwded up the county Comm. Ctr. is. The ETN takes it's marching orders from city hall and the county court house. The ETN HAS NO GUTS! It is a politcal rag that only praises incompetant politicians. The best thing that could happen for Erie is for the ETN to go belly up.
DON'T BUY THE ETN....BUY PITTSBRUGH OR CLEVELAND PAPERS...OR USA TODAY...BUT NOT THE ERIE TIMES NEWS.
For the People

Erie, PA

#5 Mar 11, 2009
Is there anyone who actually listens and believes the "Our View" section of the ETN? I didn't think so. Well, except the City of Erie and County of Erie elected officials. No one pays attention to them either. If they did, they wouldn't keep getting voted back into office.
epdcsos

Erie, PA

#7 Mar 12, 2009
RuKiddingMe wrote:
What a PERFECT example of the Times News being ignorant to the REAL facts of this whole mess. How about listening to the people that work in the industry and all the LIFE threatening problems they have had since this all began? Why don't you EVER publish ANYTHING that ACTUALLY tells the WHOLE truth? There are more than a "FEW" mistakes being made by the new county and yes, people should be worried for their safety!
No clue!!! If the people of the city of Erie had any idea of what is going on now and what is to come, they would be worried about their safety. How can you tell a citizen of the city that their house burned down because there was "an error" made by a new dispatcher who sent the wrong engine company to the wrong address of a house fire, and then add, "its a cultural change" and these mistakes are being brought to the attention of the dispatcher who made that mistake. Or an EMT who could have been seriously hurt (or worse) when sent to a laceration call when it was actually a man with a knife call?? Let's see how much the city saves when the lawsuits start coming in. Why on earth would you hire inexperienced people to dispatch calls in the City of Erie when there are experienced and well trained dispatchers that are being laid off. How can you say there will be mistakes??? Especially if a life is lost??? How can you justify that?? I hope the people making these decisions can sleep at night knowing fully what is to come.
epdcsos

Erie, PA

#8 Mar 12, 2009
What is really frustrating about this whole city/county merger is that the people doing the dispatch jobs now, really do care about the citizens of Erie. And when the county 911 center calls because they have no idea where or how to spell a street, eg. Auburn, because they need to send a fire truck or EMS, and the call is delayed by at least 10 mins, then who is to blame when your house burns or your child dies because medical/fire assistance is delayed. Who is to blame??? Or better yet, who will take the blame?? The police officers for the city know their dispatchers not only by name, but by face as well. They know that just because we are not there beside them, we still have their backs and the TRUST they put in us is there. It took years to build this trust. If these new people at the new 911 center were smart, they would put up a fight now and make a stand, because they have no idea what they will be up against in the next few weeks. I really feel sorry for them because they are getting sunshine and rainbows pumped up their butts. BIG TIME!!! GOOD LUCK TO THEM.
THANKGOD

Erie, PA

#9 Mar 12, 2009
Thank god SOMEONE else out there is paying attention and also knows all the LIFE THREATENING mistakes that are being made and have been covered up. If only the public would pay attention & start worrying also! If I were to call 911 right now and was put on hold, or find out the ambulance or firetruck was sent to the wrong address, you can bet your life that I would be contacting a lawyer asap!! Oh, but they have STATE OF THE ART technology that can cut down in time of response!!
epdcsos

Erie, PA

#10 Mar 12, 2009
THANKGOD wrote:
Thank god SOMEONE else out there is paying attention and also knows all the LIFE THREATENING mistakes that are being made and have been covered up. If only the public would pay attention & start worrying also! If I were to call 911 right now and was put on hold, or find out the ambulance or firetruck was sent to the wrong address, you can bet your life that I would be contacting a lawyer asap!! Oh, but they have STATE OF THE ART technology that can cut down in time of response!!
State of the art technology is on as good as its "weakest link". Hell, thats laughable because for the 18 or so years that I have been doing this job, we worked with equipment that already outdated by 10 years when it was installed here. We did it and we did it well. To say that the technology makes the dispatch work is bull. What happens when the computer system crashes, as it often does and has? Our dispatchers do not skip a beat and are able to get portable radios and everyone pulls together. Get this, when the 911 center goes down, guess where there backup is??? City hall. Who is gonna cover that 1/2 time for them to get here??? Not the city dispatch, its no longer our jobs. Oh thats right, they can just tell the police, fire and EMS workers to "stand by" while they get their S##t together and get to city hall.
Firefighter

Akron, OH

#11 Mar 12, 2009
epdcsos wrote:
What is really frustrating about this whole city/county merger is that the people doing the dispatch jobs now, really do care about the citizens of Erie. And when the county 911 center calls because they have no idea where or how to spell a street, eg. Auburn, because they need to send a fire truck or EMS, and the call is delayed by at least 10 mins, then who is to blame when your house burns or your child dies because medical/fire assistance is delayed. Who is to blame??? Or better yet, who will take the blame?? The police officers for the city know their dispatchers not only by name, but by face as well. They know that just because we are not there beside them, we still have their backs and the TRUST they put in us is there. It took years to build this trust. If these new people at the new 911 center were smart, they would put up a fight now and make a stand, because they have no idea what they will be up against in the next few weeks. I really feel sorry for them because they are getting sunshine and rainbows pumped up their butts. BIG TIME!!! GOOD LUCK TO THEM.
If, according to you, it took YEARS, to build up this trust, then what YOU are saying is that EPD DID NOT trust you fully at first. That is understandable. I am a ff and know that trust is a huge part in the dispatcher / field unit relationship. It DOES NOT come overnight, mistakes WILL be made. Tell me YOU have NEVER made a mistake. When we have gotten new dispatchers in the past, I have been cautious, in the trust I put in them, but I give them a chance to prove themselves. I take it upon MYSELF to be a little more careful approaching the scene. Trust comes in time, if it took years for them to gain trust in you, then it will probably take the same for the new center. When problems have come up with dispatchers, I have tried to help & make suggestions so that they don't happen agaain. Bashing them doesn't help.
Bryan Delio

North Ridgeville, OH

#12 Mar 12, 2009
Firefighter wrote:
<quoted text>
If, according to you, it took YEARS, to build up this trust, then what YOU are saying is that EPD DID NOT trust you fully at first. That is understandable. I am a ff and know that trust is a huge part in the dispatcher / field unit relationship. It DOES NOT come overnight, mistakes WILL be made. Tell me YOU have NEVER made a mistake. When we have gotten new dispatchers in the past, I have been cautious, in the trust I put in them, but I give them a chance to prove themselves. I take it upon MYSELF to be a little more careful approaching the scene. Trust comes in time, if it took years for them to gain trust in you, then it will probably take the same for the new center. When problems have come up with dispatchers, I have tried to help & make suggestions so that they don't happen agaain. Bashing them doesn't help.
It sounded to me like he was upset with the system not the dispatchers...just as I am too.
THN

Bolivar, OH

#13 Mar 12, 2009
What's the difference between a dispatcher and the person answering the phone at a pizza shop?
The dispatcher, by union rules, must bitch, whine and moan.
epdcsos

Erie, PA

#15 Mar 12, 2009
Let me clarify something. I guess I left out some information that should have been said earlier on. These new dispatchers are only going to have 32 hrs of training on how to send out city police calls. That is it. Not months like we have when we are trainging or being trained. Also, the way the system is set up each person at the new center has their own agency to dispatch. They do not have someone to step in if need be. And if I sound like I am bashing the new dispatchers, I apologize, because I am not. My problem is with the people that are making these decisions without any concern for public safety. They are looking at the money aspect, which in my book is wrong. You are jeopardizing lives on the street, both civilian and police/fire, to save money?? All these dispatcher are being crosstrained on how to do all the dispatch, fire, police, ems, etc, for each municipality. What I am saying is our police department was told, in the beginning, that only certin people would be dispatching for the City PD. only. Now,we are being told that is not the case. The volume of calls for the City PD. is very high. We are already over 9000 calls for the year. Why not keep the dispatchers that have already been trained on City PD calls to dispatch those calls only?? Does that make sense?
epdcsos

Erie, PA

#16 Mar 12, 2009
THN wrote:
What's the difference between a dispatcher and the person answering the phone at a pizza shop?
The dispatcher, by union rules, must ****, whine and moan.
WHAT????
Used ta live in Erie

Aiken, SC

#17 Mar 12, 2009
THN wrote:
What's the difference between a dispatcher and the person answering the phone at a pizza shop?
The dispatcher, by union rules, must ****, whine and moan.
You want pepperoni with that police car? How about a calzone to go with your ambulance? I hope you don't ever need a fire truck, you might get a Cheese and Sausage pizza. YOU ARE A COMPLETE MORON!
For the People

Meadville, PA

#18 Mar 12, 2009
epdcsos wrote:
Let me clarify something. I guess I left out some information that should have been said earlier on. These new dispatchers are only going to have 32 hrs of training on how to send out city police calls. That is it. Not months like we have when we are trainging or being trained. Also, the way the system is set up each person at the new center has their own agency to dispatch. They do not have someone to step in if need be. And if I sound like I am bashing the new dispatchers, I apologize, because I am not. My problem is with the people that are making these decisions without any concern for public safety. They are looking at the money aspect, which in my book is wrong. You are jeopardizing lives on the street, both civilian and police/fire, to save money?? All these dispatcher are being crosstrained on how to do all the dispatch, fire, police, ems, etc, for each municipality. What I am saying is our police department was told, in the beginning, that only certin people would be dispatching for the City PD. only. Now,we are being told that is not the case. The volume of calls for the City PD. is very high. We are already over 9000 calls for the year. Why not keep the dispatchers that have already been trained on City PD calls to dispatch those calls only?? Does that make sense?
Why don't you take your case to the media? I mean the COE Fire and Police unions are very powerful and people listen to them. I know channel 12 did a story on it a few weeks ago, but maybe if the heat is turned up high maybe the taxpayer's will start to contact their elected officials, which, in an election year always brings the elected officials to actually listen to the concerns of the taxpayers. You people have the power to keep this in the press. The rest of the volunteers around the county are laughed at like they are bunch of hillbillies!
epdcsos

Erie, PA

#19 Mar 12, 2009
Not for lack of trying believe me. The media was advised that all the "talk" was not to be believed. Our elected officials are being told all the good things. Don't get me wrong, there are some things that are good about this, and it is about time. But unfortunately the people that want to get this whole thing passed thru are trying to do it for their own personal gain. I cannot think of any other reason. Money, money, money. And, some of these people are influential in our community. As I was told, the train has already left the station on this one. And if the article you are referring to is the same article I read, there was only a small paragraph that made mention of the errors made. Were they deliberately left out?? Or was it just not put in the article at all, and if so, why.
For the People

Meadville, PA

#20 Mar 12, 2009
epdcsos wrote:
Not for lack of trying believe me. The media was advised that all the "talk" was not to be believed. Our elected officials are being told all the good things. Don't get me wrong, there are some things that are good about this, and it is about time. But unfortunately the people that want to get this whole thing passed thru are trying to do it for their own personal gain. I cannot think of any other reason. Money, money, money. And, some of these people are influential in our community. As I was told, the train has already left the station on this one. And if the article you are referring to is the same article I read, there was only a small paragraph that made mention of the errors made. Were they deliberately left out?? Or was it just not put in the article at all, and if so, why.
It is nice to know that those of you in the City of Erie get the same treatment from the media and elected officials as the volunteers in the county. Maybe a Task Force should be formed with the representatives being from the Volunteer and Paid Fire and Police Departments. Maybe that might get some press!
epdcsos

Erie, PA

#21 Mar 12, 2009
I believe we are at the point that all we can do is sit back and wait for the fireworks. Let the officials answer for the mistakes that are gonna be made. And say a prayer no one gets hurt.
For the People

Meadville, PA

#22 Mar 12, 2009
Agreed. When does the COE police go online at the new 911 center this month? Want to make sure I set my scanner so I can listen to all of the screw ups!
epdcsos

Erie, PA

#23 Mar 15, 2009
For the People wrote:
Agreed. When does the COE police go online at the new 911 center this month? Want to make sure I set my scanner so I can listen to all of the screw ups!
Supposedly, the week of the 23rd is when the new computer program is to be put into effect, so it should be late that week or the next. And again, I feel sorry for them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Whats good for the Goose is good for the Gander (Mar '11) Jan 22 Sammy 876
Karma's worst food in town Jan 10 Yuck 3
Sanders Markets Dec '14 D Fake CO 1
Hunger on the rise across Erie region Nov '14 Doug Wilson 20
god is imaginary, religion is slavery Nov '14 santabunny 2
Apartments for rent Oct '14 lisa 1
Town picnic (Dec '11) Sep '14 seriously 4
Corry Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Corry People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:58 am PST

NFL10:58AM
Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers heading for new contract
ESPN11:49 AM
Steelers security chief's dual roles debated
NBC Sports 1:18 PM
Blount happy with Patriots after rocky time with Steelers
Bleacher Report 6:12 PM
5 Mistakes Steelers Can't Repeat in Offseason
NBC Sports 5:15 AM
Friday morning one-liners