Poverty not confined to city of Erie

Poverty not confined to city of Erie

There are 40 comments on the Erie Times News story from Aug 9, 2013, titled Poverty not confined to city of Erie. In it, Erie Times News reports that:

A new demographic profile published by the Erie County Department of Health reports several rural communities in the county have poverty rates nearly as high as the city's rate of 26.1 percent from 2007-2011.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Erie Times News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
a christian

New Kensington, PA

#25 Aug 13, 2013
AnnLynn wrote:
<quoted text>
They have NOT earned anything. Votes are only money to politicians, not people in the real world. However, the rest of what you said I have thought about. Must be nice, huh? Over on 16th st, one apartment has two cars and a boat. I had to sell my boat years ago because I couldn't afford it anymore. What a life. I am not eligible for anything because I have chosen not to overpopulate the planet with unwanted children.
Thank you for not having children. Your level of empathy for others would make you a lousy mom.
Glenn

United States

#26 Aug 13, 2013
Oh, just like you there Bible thumper. Get a life and a job.
a muslim

Erie, PA

#27 Aug 13, 2013
a christian wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you for not having children. Your level of empathy for others would make you a lousy mom.
Glad idiots like you are not having children either. We will destroy you. We are succeeding daily.
AnnLynn

Cleveland, OH

#28 Aug 14, 2013
a christian wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you for not having children. Your level of empathy for others would make you a lousy mom.
Please explain how empathy translates to not liking peoples hands in my wallet. I don't have a problem with those who use welfare for what it was intended for. A temporary bit of help, not a career. A person with a couple kids can get in the neighborhood of $800 a month in food stamps. For doing nothing but lying on their back. They offered my blind 90 year old grandmother a whopping $10 a month. She worked till she was about 65 give or take, when she sold the pizza shop in Wesleyville in 1985. She also had 4 children. Her and her husband never collected a penny of welfare. So if she could do it, others can.
AnnLynn

Cleveland, OH

#29 Aug 14, 2013
I mean NOT having empathy.
a cristian

Youngstown, OH

#30 Aug 14, 2013
AnnLynn wrote:
<quoted text>
Please explain how empathy translates to not liking peoples hands in my wallet. I don't have a problem with those who use welfare for what it was intended for. A temporary bit of help, not a career. A person with a couple kids can get in the neighborhood of $800 a month in food stamps. For doing nothing but lying on their back. They offered my blind 90 year old grandmother a whopping $10 a month. She worked till she was about 65 give or take, when she sold the pizza shop in Wesleyville in 1985. She also had 4 children. Her and her husband never collected a penny of welfare. So if she could do it, others can.
We will pray that your disordered thinking will be forgiven. Anger for the less fortunate cures nothing. Why not light one candle rather than curse the darkness? You will be happier when you can put aside the festering hate inside you, and be thankful for whatever good fortune god has granted you.
AnnLynn

Cleveland, OH

#31 Aug 14, 2013
a cristian wrote:
<quoted text>We will pray that your disordered thinking will be forgiven. Anger for the less fortunate cures nothing. Why not light one candle rather than curse the darkness? You will be happier when you can put aside the festering hate inside you, and be thankful for whatever good fortune god has granted you.
You claim to be religious and can't even spell said religion properly. They are not less fortunate. They are less motivated to earn their keep. Candles cause fires. Your god has granted me nothing. Anything I have, I earned standing up. Grants are given, not earned. I hate lazy and stupid people.
NOpinhead

Erie, PA

#32 Aug 14, 2013
The reason there is an abundance of poverty in Erie? Two words: No Jobs. There are only three employers in this town that pay what might be considered to be a living wage. GE, Erie Insurance and the hospital. Get your city leaders and elected officials to work, actually put forth time and energy, to bring companies that pay good salaries to Erie and watch the poverty in this city drop. Sinnott only ever shows his face at party time, like his spot on tonight's news talking about how great Celebrate Erie is. That's his idea of making life better for the Erie community. Another party, another festival.
a christian

Pittsburgh, PA

#33 Aug 14, 2013
AnnLynn wrote:
<quoted text>
You claim to be religious and can't even spell said religion properly. They are not less fortunate. They are less motivated to earn their keep. Candles cause fires. Your god has granted me nothing. Anything I have, I earned standing up. Grants are given, not earned. I hate lazy and stupid people.
God gave you a free will and you have misused it to hate. Perhaps you would prefer the advice of the devine Buddha, when he said " holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intention of throwing it at your enemy, you are the one who is burned".
AnnLynn

Cleveland, OH

#35 Aug 14, 2013
a christian wrote:
<quoted text> God gave you a free will and you have misused it to hate. Perhaps you would prefer the advice of the devine Buddha, when he said " holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intention of throwing it at your enemy, you are the one who is burned".
This god you speak of gave me nothing. Free will exists as science. Shut it bible thumper. Oh that's something else I hate btw.
AnnLynn

Cleveland, OH

#37 Aug 15, 2013
A Jew wrote:
<quoted text> He gave you the mouth you're spewing hate with. If you can't say anything nice DON"T say anything. Please show us where you found the "Free will exists as Science." Did you graduate from an Erie public high school? because you're sounding pretty ignorant and uneducated with these last few posts.
Or you could just not read this. I don't agree with any organized religion, and yet you attack me. But, you have an issue with me not liking welfare rats. Sort of contradictory don't you think? Nope, I didn't go to an Erie school, nor would I let anyone I know send their children there. I don't think I brought religion into this discussion, so how about we leave it be? My education is much more advanced than yours, and in the sciences. I don't believe any entity gave us anything. It's human nature.
a christian

Erie, PA

#38 Aug 15, 2013
AnnLynn wrote:
<quoted text>
Or you could just not read this. I don't agree with any organized religion, and yet you attack me. But, you have an issue with me not liking welfare rats. Sort of contradictory don't you think? Nope, I didn't go to an Erie school, nor would I let anyone I know send their children there. I don't think I brought religion into this discussion, so how about we leave it be? My education is much more advanced than yours, and in the sciences. I don't believe any entity gave us anything. It's human nature.
Hate is a learned behavior. It's like heroin for you. Despite what it has done to you, you continue to engage in it.
A Jew

Erie, PA

#39 Aug 15, 2013
AnnLynn wrote:
<quoted text>
Or you could just not read this. I don't agree with any organized religion, and yet you attack me. But, you have an issue with me not liking welfare rats. Sort of contradictory don't you think? Nope, I didn't go to an Erie school, nor would I let anyone I know send their children there. I don't think I brought religion into this discussion, so how about we leave it be? My education is much more advanced than yours, and in the sciences. I don't believe any entity gave us anything. It's human nature.
You brought religion into the discussion with your comment "your so called god" so it is fair game. As for your advanced degree in science I call you out on that. Post your degree or we will assume you have a certificate in Nail Care and work at a salon. Also explain how free will is something nature gave us. I would like to hear this theory of yours as Free Will is strictly a religous belief. By the way I never commented on your position on welfare, YOU reacted emotionally and not intellectually to all the other posters which makes you more of an animal than a human being.Human beings are supposed to use their higher intellect to make decisions not their emotions.
a muslim

Erie, PA

#41 Aug 15, 2013
Look at the dumb christian and Jew. Wait till they see what we have planned for them.
Sam Esh

Orlando, FL

#42 Jan 14, 2014
I think it is sad when they choose not to take care of their animals because they are poor. Many places will help if they ask. I think it is important to help animals. Sometimes take some to the animal hospital in Norwood Park that aren't even mine. http://www.abellanimalhosp.com
life is as it is

Jamestown, NY

#43 Jan 23, 2014
a muslim wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad idiots like you are not having children either. We will destroy you. We are succeeding daily.
religion of peace lol
if it is not love it is not right. if it is not unity it is not right. if it is not compassion it is not right. the reality of religions from yours, islam, to christianity's of all kinds and everything in between... beware they have all been manipulated, changed, adapted to a hierarchy of power and control to those at the very top while you are told and believe you are weak, powerless, a victim in need of a savior. that is a LIE. YOU are in control, you have only been manipulated into believing you have no control. Yet you have to understand that you have free will to the point you may chose bondage. bondage, victimhood, these are things you chose.
find god inside yourself and take care of your fellow humans, no matter of color or creed, we are all the same. the division from all walks of life, democrat or republican, rich or poor, black or white, etc to infinity IS the source of all our problems on this earth, in this reality.
See yourself as a part of the whole. and with every improvement of the parts so the whole improves.
learn to love my friend. destruction of any kind and any type is not love. and will not lead to enlightenment. learn it in this life... or learn it in the next. we all have that choice.
peace
PS without prejudice research your particular religious doctrine. you'll find things youre not suppose to. as the bible says seek and you will find, knowledge and truth will find its way to those honestly seeking it. good luck
life is as it is

Jamestown, NY

#44 Jan 23, 2014
a muslim wrote:
Look at the dumb christian and Jew. Wait till they see what we have planned for them.
you do know that this "war" between the religions is something that the very few in power keep promulgating to keep the masses distracted from truth, right?
if not consciously you must feel or see this at some level. if 99% of your religion relies on where you were born how much inherent truth can that religion contain? truth is truth. lie is lie. 1+1=2 in america and in china and anywhere else on earth, make sense? hate is easy. truth takes work.
a muslim

Erie, PA

#45 Jan 23, 2014
life is as it is wrote:
<quoted text>
you do know that this "war" between the religions is something that the very few in power keep promulgating to keep the masses distracted from truth, right?
if not consciously you must feel or see this at some level. if 99% of your religion relies on where you were born how much inherent truth can that religion contain? truth is truth. lie is lie. 1+1=2 in america and in china and anywhere else on earth, make sense? hate is easy. truth takes work.
My friend, you do not talk about my people like this. We will be firmly in control under the leadership of our prophet Barack Hussein Obama. You are an infidel.
American flyer

Joplin, MO

#46 Jan 24, 2014
Shinichiro Takizawa wrote:
American-stock-prices must crash now!
Dow must be $3,000 now!
S&P must be 300 now!
Economic-bubble of the U.S. must crash now!
“Occupy Wall Street!”
We need “Occupy Wall Street” now only in the U.S. only for Americans.
The U.S. must tighten its Monetary-Policy now!
Japan, China, Germany, Taiwan, and South-Korea must loosen their monetary-policies now!
The U.S. must contract its domestic-demand now!
Japan, China, Germany, Taiwan, and South-Korea must expand their domestic-demands now!
Economic-growth-rate of the U.S. must be lower than Japan's, China's, Germany's, Taiwan's, and South-Korea's economic-growth-rates now!
Nikkei-225 must be 100,000-Yen now!
Japan must be a competitive-society now!
Japan's, China's, Germany's, Taiwan's, and South-Korea's stock-prices must be 7-times as high as current their stock-prices now!
Japan, China, Germany, Taiwan, and South-Korea must be competitive-societies now!
Economic-bubbles must occur in Japan, China, Germany, Taiwan, and South-Korea now!
Japan's, China's, Germany's, Taiwan's, and South-Korea's economies
must move from manufacturing-bases more towards service-bases now.
The U.S. must revive Labor-Unions only in the U.S. only for Americans now.
The U.S. must revive antitrust-law only in the U.S. only for Americans now.
The U.S. must have Universal-Health-Care only in the U.S. only for Americans now.
Minimum-wage of Americans must be $70,000 per person per year now!
Jobless-rate of the U.S. must be 2% now!
The U.S. must decrease the gap between the rich and the poor only in the U.S. only for Americans now!
The U.S. must revive American-Heavy-Industry only in the U.S. only for Americans now.
The U.S. must be the world's factory now!
The U.S. must have 5-Trillion-dollar-trade-surplu s per year and 5-Trillion-dollar-current-acco unt-surplus per year now!
The U.S. must be the largest creditor-nation in thwe world ever in world-history now!
The U.S. and American-companies must monopolize all the markets all over the world now.
The U.S. must fill the world with Made-in-U.S.A.-products now!
The U.S. must withdraw its American-Forces from Japan, South-Korea, Singapore, Asia, Europe, Germany, Italy, British, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Iraq now!
The U.S. must withdraw its American-Forces now from all the wars in which the U.S. now involves.
The U.S. must decrease its Military-Budget to $100-Billion per year now.
Or, the U.S. must decrease its Military-Budget to 1% of its GDP now.
Chechen war, South Ossetia war, Tibetan Independence war, Uyghur (Xinjiang) Inependence war,
Asian war, Korean war, Sino-Vietnamese war,
Japan-China war, Japan-Russia war, Japan-S.Korea war, Japan-N.Korea war,
Sino-Russia war, Sino-Indian war, Indo-Pakistani war,
China-Maleysia war, China-Indonesia war,
European war, Balkan war, Falklands war, Germany-Russia war, British-Russia war,
must begin now!
The U.S. must not involve in these wars.
The U.S. must make cars, ships, steel, airplanes, PCs, home-electric-appliances, and weapons in the U.S.,
and the U.S. must export those cars, ships, steel, airplanes, PCs, home-electric-appliances, and weapons from the U.S. to the world now!
The U.S. must take Monroe-Doctorine now!
Remember Pearl Harbor!
REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR?????????.Well Then! Remember Hiroshima & Nagasaki!
Enola gay

Erie, PA

#47 Jan 24, 2014
Made in America, tested in japan.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where is kyle hepler Apr 29 chacha 2
kyle hepler Apr 27 concerned citizen 1
Hazing (Jun '11) Apr 13 buffalo2 2
News Alleged Sex Scandal in Albion (Jan '07) Mar '16 CMJ 795
News UPDATE: Gas fueled fire that burned historic br... (Dec '08) Mar '16 Kevin Sullivan 21
Corry Bars (Oct '11) Mar '16 Mouthyone 33
Biggest sl*ts in corry? (Jun '15) Mar '16 Mouthyone 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Corry Mortgages