Poverty not confined to city of Erie

Poverty not confined to city of Erie

There are 40 comments on the Erie Times News story from Aug 9, 2013, titled Poverty not confined to city of Erie. In it, Erie Times News reports that:

A new demographic profile published by the Erie County Department of Health reports several rural communities in the county have poverty rates nearly as high as the city's rate of 26.1 percent from 2007-2011.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Erie Times News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
yikes

Erie, PA

#1 Aug 10, 2013
How did this happen?
trevor

Flat Rock, OH

#2 Aug 10, 2013
yikes wrote:
How did this happen?
november 2008 the scumbags spoke
wrdi

Erie, PA

#4 Aug 11, 2013
Shit, just wait until the dumbasses vote in Dahlkemper. Your taxes will be going up.
Waterford Wizard

Erie, PA

#5 Aug 11, 2013
Poverty is not confined to just Erie.....but a large minority makes a career out of it & has for several generations.
AnnLynn

Cleveland, OH

#6 Aug 11, 2013
Poverty = poor defined by running out of food 2 weeks into the month, no medical care,no dental care due to the cost no car not even a Lincoln or anything newer than 10 years old, no money for anything spare, no money to get a bus pass to go find a job, low paying job, no leftover cash to "get nails did", no $300 hair dos, no cable, no 52" flatscreen,discount clothing and food pantry just to get by, rolling smokes individually, scraping change out of the couch to make rent or mortgage payments

NOT poverty = not poor defined by full insurance with no premiums, great dental care at anytime, new cars at will, ridiculous looking rims, new Lincolns and Lexus, plenty of spare money for high priced branded clothing, new only because who wants to wear used crap,$200 and up sneakers, hair and nails done weekly, full cable lineup to watch on your choice of televisions, government housing with $5 rent a month because you chose to overpopulate the planet with unwanted children that you don't want anyway, no food pantry because you can't use all your food stamps anyway, a carton of Newports weekly.

Now, explain to me how poverty gets defined the way it does by the gov't. I could go on and write pages of disparty between poor and not poor, but who's got that kind of time? A few of us out here have this new thing called working and PAYING YOUR OWN WAY THROUGH LIFE.
trevor

Flat Rock, OH

#7 Aug 11, 2013
AnnLynn wrote:
Poverty = poor defined by running out of food 2 weeks into the month, no medical care,no dental care due to the cost no car not even a Lincoln or anything newer than 10 years old, no money for anything spare, no money to get a bus pass to go find a job, low paying job, no leftover cash to "get nails did", no $300 hair dos, no cable, no 52" flatscreen,discount clothing and food pantry just to get by, rolling smokes individually, scraping change out of the couch to make rent or mortgage payments
NOT poverty = not poor defined by full insurance with no premiums, great dental care at anytime, new cars at will, ridiculous looking rims, new Lincolns and Lexus, plenty of spare money for high priced branded clothing, new only because who wants to wear used crap,$200 and up sneakers, hair and nails done weekly, full cable lineup to watch on your choice of televisions, government housing with $5 rent a month because you chose to overpopulate the planet with unwanted children that you don't want anyway, no food pantry because you can't use all your food stamps anyway, a carton of Newports weekly.
Now, explain to me how poverty gets defined the way it does by the gov't. I could go on and write pages of disparty between poor and not poor, but who's got that kind of time? A few of us out here have this new thing called working and PAYING YOUR OWN WAY THROUGH LIFE.
watch you mouthnthetecsister... I be goingbto marthas vineyardcthiscweeek and I gotsvtonride thecbud cuz I is poor
AnnLynn

Cleveland, OH

#8 Aug 11, 2013
trevor wrote:
<quoted text>watch you mouthnthetecsister... I be goingbto marthas vineyardcthiscweeek and I gotsvtonride thecbud cuz I is poor
ROFLMAO. Exactly.
strinfellow hawke

Canton, OH

#9 Aug 11, 2013
trevor wrote:
<quoted text>watch you mouthnthetecsister... I be goingbto marthas vineyardcthiscweeek and I gotsvtonride thecbud cuz I is poor
Well Trevor, you have fun up in Martha's Vineyard...Take a suggestion though. When you get back from there, go back to school and learn proper English yo. Your spelling and grammar are proof of what happens when monkeys are taught to speak. Trust me...the world does not owe you a living so stop selling yo drugs and get yo ass a job like the rest of the descent people in the world. Just for your personal knowledge...I don't use the word "yo", I just wanted to make sure your low intelligence level could understand me.
enward

Flat Rock, OH

#10 Aug 11, 2013
strinfellow hawke wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Trevor, you have fun up in Martha's Vineyard...Take a suggestion though. When you get back from there, go back to school and learn proper English yo. Your spelling and grammar are proof of what happens when monkeys are taught to speak. Trust me...the world does not owe you a living so stop selling yo drugs and get yo ass a job like the rest of the descent people in the world. Just for your personal knowledge...I don't use the word "yo", I just wanted to make sure your low intelligence level could understand me.
yessah boss..is trying to do better.
but I sure could use some extra $$$
King of Lowville

Mansfield, OH

#11 Aug 11, 2013
Thanks for the access card...I just got me some cash at Howard's gold mine (Faulkner's ATM you idiots) and I'm headin' to the Tavern for some beers on you... I might drag me a trailer park Queen pack to the double wide and make me some more of them access cards...know what I mean:)O-
mind your own

Mansfield, OH

#12 Aug 11, 2013
Hey this is your own so mind it moron.... When is that clown sportin' the guns gonna have his rally in Wattsburg???? Maybe we could invite Wattsburg to 9th and Ash for a fight and kill off some access card users. Like a war over of the cards or somethin'?
AnnLynn

Cleveland, OH

#13 Aug 12, 2013
mind your own wrote:
Hey this is your own so mind it moron.... When is that clown sportin' the guns gonna have his rally in Wattsburg???? Maybe we could invite Wattsburg to 9th and Ash for a fight and kill off some access card users. Like a war over of the cards or somethin'?
It sure is my business, and everyone else's who pays income tax, when we are the ones funding the silver spoon welfare rats. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people that really need the help getting it. You know who I'm talking about - the guy or gal that got laid off. A few months of help to get back on their feet is not a problem. The problem is that too many use the welfare system as a paycheck. Not making enough money? Have another unwanted baby. One baby ok I can buy you made a mistake. Two or more your just in it so you don't have to work anymore. Having children is no excuse for not having a job. My parents had 3 and both worked. Never did collect welfare.

Don't let the assumed time limit on welfare fool you. They find ways around that. I know one girl that had 14 kids the last time I saw her several years ago. Pregnancy is a preventable disease.
Steverino

Elizabeth, PA

#15 Aug 12, 2013
The common misperception on this forum is of the 1980s fad that all people on welfare drive pink Cadillacs and eat filet mignon.

Sadly, the poverty rate in Erie and Erie County is incredibly high. Many of these people are senior citizens and people with disabilities. Most have very low-wage jobs whereby they must supplement their income with food stamps in order to feed their families.

The cycle actually began in the 1980s with the de-industrialization of the Erie region.(See W. 12th Street). Those who did not leave got jobs that paid much less, because that's all that was left. It's been a downscale trajectory for the Erie region since then, with no sign of let-up.
trevor

Flat Rock, OH

#16 Aug 12, 2013
Steverino wrote:
The common misperception on this forum is of the 1980s fad that all people on welfare drive pink Cadillacs and eat filet mignon.
Sadly, the poverty rate in Erie and Erie County is incredibly high. Many of these people are senior citizens and people with disabilities. Most have very low-wage jobs whereby they must supplement their income with food stamps in order to feed their families.
The cycle actually began in the 1980s with the de-industrialization of the Erie region.(See W. 12th Street). Those who did not leave got jobs that paid much less, because that's all that was left. It's been a downscale trajectory for the Erie region since then, with no sign of let-up.
trade their cable tv cell phones and the rest if theirvwefare perks for a bag of beans.
trevor

Flat Rock, OH

#19 Aug 12, 2013
Allen Keys wrote:
<quoted text> The loss of industry started under Jimmy Carted before the 1980's when we lost Bucyrus Erie. Lord started laying off and down sizing and carter did nothing to stop the collapse of the steel industry etc. Now we have devastating unemployment in Erie and we now face the loss of GE. Obama will do nothing to stop the continued collapse of our manufacturing base. Through all this the people of Erie continued to vote Democrat even though ALL the evidence shows that they DO NOTHING for the working class except tax them to death to pay for the NON-WORKERS or those who refuse to work. When will the people of Erie wake up and realize they have been played for fools by the democrats? I don't care if you vote for the republicans, libertarians or independents. Don't continue to vote for democrats who have proven to be your enemies. The people who sent your jobs overseas.
you cant fix stupid and lazy..
AnnLynn

Cleveland, OH

#20 Aug 12, 2013
Steverino wrote:
The common misperception on this forum is of the 1980s fad that all people on welfare drive pink Cadillacs and eat filet mignon.
Sadly, the poverty rate in Erie and Erie County is incredibly high. Many of these people are senior citizens and people with disabilities. Most have very low-wage jobs whereby they must supplement their income with food stamps in order to feed their families.
The cycle actually began in the 1980s with the de-industrialization of the Erie region.(See W. 12th Street). Those who did not leave got jobs that paid much less, because that's all that was left. It's been a downscale trajectory for the Erie region since then, with no sign of let-up.
The Caddys aren't pink and they've switched to lobster. Reality is, they DO in fact drive very nice cars. Go shopping and take a look around you. The carts are filled with name brand food, and expensive meats. Take a drive the the projects or the welfare office and notice the cars there. Open your eyes, and the reality will hit like a ton of bricks.
Blame Nixon

Wattsburg, PA

#21 Aug 12, 2013
He opened trade/relations with China.
Shinichiro Takizawa

Sendai, Japan

#22 Aug 12, 2013
American-stock-prices must crash now!
Dow must be $3,000 now!
S&P must be 300 now!

Economic-bubble of the U.S. must crash now!

“Occupy Wall Street!”
We need “Occupy Wall Street” now only in the U.S. only for Americans.

The U.S. must tighten its Monetary-Policy now!
Japan, China, Germany, Taiwan, and South-Korea must loosen their monetary-policies now!
The U.S. must contract its domestic-demand now!
Japan, China, Germany, Taiwan, and South-Korea must expand their domestic-demands now!

Economic-growth-rate of the U.S. must be lower than Japan's, China's, Germany's, Taiwan's, and South-Korea's economic-growth-rates now!

Nikkei-225 must be 100,000-Yen now!
Japan must be a competitive-society now!
Japan's, China's, Germany's, Taiwan's, and South-Korea's stock-prices must be 7-times as high as current their stock-prices now!
Japan, China, Germany, Taiwan, and South-Korea must be competitive-societies now!
Economic-bubbles must occur in Japan, China, Germany, Taiwan, and South-Korea now!

Japan's, China's, Germany's, Taiwan's, and South-Korea's economies
must move from manufacturing-bases more towards service-bases now.

The U.S. must revive Labor-Unions only in the U.S. only for Americans now.
The U.S. must revive antitrust-law only in the U.S. only for Americans now.
The U.S. must have Universal-Health-Care only in the U.S. only for Americans now.
Minimum-wage of Americans must be $70,000 per person per year now!
Jobless-rate of the U.S. must be 2% now!
The U.S. must decrease the gap between the rich and the poor only in the U.S. only for Americans now!

The U.S. must revive American-Heavy-Industry only in the U.S. only for Americans now.
The U.S. must be the world's factory now!
The U.S. must have 5-Trillion-dollar-trade-surplu s per year and 5-Trillion-dollar-current-acco unt-surplus per year now!
The U.S. must be the largest creditor-nation in thwe world ever in world-history now!
The U.S. and American-companies must monopolize all the markets all over the world now.
The U.S. must fill the world with Made-in-U.S.A.-products now!

The U.S. must withdraw its American-Forces from Japan, South-Korea, Singapore, Asia, Europe, Germany, Italy, British, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Iraq now!
The U.S. must withdraw its American-Forces now from all the wars in which the U.S. now involves.
The U.S. must decrease its Military-Budget to $100-Billion per year now.
Or, the U.S. must decrease its Military-Budget to 1% of its GDP now.

Chechen war, South Ossetia war, Tibetan Independence war, Uyghur (Xinjiang) Inependence war,
Asian war, Korean war, Sino-Vietnamese war,
Japan-China war, Japan-Russia war, Japan-S.Korea war, Japan-N.Korea war,
Sino-Russia war, Sino-Indian war, Indo-Pakistani war,
China-Maleysia war, China-Indonesia war,
European war, Balkan war, Falklands war, Germany-Russia war, British-Russia war,
must begin now!

The U.S. must not involve in these wars.
The U.S. must make cars, ships, steel, airplanes, PCs, home-electric-appliances, and weapons in the U.S.,
and the U.S. must export those cars, ships, steel, airplanes, PCs, home-electric-appliances, and weapons from the U.S. to the world now!
The U.S. must take Monroe-Doctorine now!

Remember Pearl Harbor!
trevor

Flat Rock, OH

#23 Aug 13, 2013
AnnLynn wrote:
<quoted text>
The Caddys aren't pink and they've switched to lobster. Reality is, they DO in fact drive very nice cars. Go shopping and take a look around you. The carts are filled with name brand food, and expensive meats. Take a drive the the projects or the welfare office and notice the cars there. Open your eyes, and the reality will hit like a ton of bricks.
they have earned those perks...votes are $$$. They can buy those nice amenities...they dont have to worry about taxes, insurance, or retirement savings plans
AnnLynn

Cleveland, OH

#24 Aug 13, 2013
trevor wrote:
<quoted text>they have earned those perks...votes are $$$. They can buy those nice amenities...they dont have to worry about taxes, insurance, or retirement savings plans
They have NOT earned anything. Votes are only money to politicians, not people in the real world. However, the rest of what you said I have thought about. Must be nice, huh? Over on 16th st, one apartment has two cars and a boat. I had to sell my boat years ago because I couldn't afford it anymore. What a life. I am not eligible for anything because I have chosen not to overpopulate the planet with unwanted children.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
please help Jun 28 Girard looking 2
Karma's worst food in town (Dec '14) Jun 19 BC fla 5
News Muzzy sent to jail, tagged as Me... (Jul '13) Jun 15 Burn pedophiles 4
Biggest sl*ts in corry? (Jun '15) Jun 7 Mouthyone 7
Whats good for the Goose is good for the Gander (Mar '11) May '16 wattsburg resident 882
Where is kyle hepler Apr '16 chacha 2
kyle hepler Apr '16 concerned citizen 1

Corry Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Corry Mortgages