As You See It: Feb. 26, 2010: Rio del...

As You See It: Feb. 26, 2010: Rio del Mar up next

There are 27 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Feb 26, 2010, titled As You See It: Feb. 26, 2010: Rio del Mar up next. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

It was encouraging to witness the overwhelming support for the Aptos Village Plan at the Board of Supervisors meeting on Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
to Joseph Hertel

Mountain View, CA

#1 Feb 26, 2010
wow...you need a hug!!
Freshman

AOL

#2 Feb 26, 2010
Ok folks, you get only one chance to answer: Is the following statement true or delusional?

"Watsonville has potential to become one of America's truly great cities."
Right on Time

Watsonville, CA

#3 Feb 26, 2010
Joseph Hertel, your intolerance is overshadowed by your abject ignorance. Who knows why the Sentinel published your drivel, except that Miller expects a flood of other bigots like yourself to chime in and declare their own religious intolerance.
Ray in Santa Cruz

Lafayette, CA

#4 Feb 26, 2010
Dale Benedix, did you know that killer whales are actually dolphins, just big Flipper's, not that it matters.

We train wild animals because we can. As long as there is pleasure, benefit, or profit in doing so, we will continue to do it. Those who work with wild animals do it because they enjoy it.
rita

Santa Cruz, CA

#5 Feb 26, 2010
Ray in Santa Cruz wrote:
Dale Benedix, did you know that killer whales are actually dolphins, just big Flipper's, not that it matters.
We train wild animals because we can. As long as there is pleasure, benefit, or profit in doing so, we will continue to do it. Those who work with wild animals do it because they enjoy it.
Despite your post, it is not always about the humans!
Homer

Los Banos, CA

#6 Feb 26, 2010
Ray in Santa Cruz wrote:
Yeah dolphins ("an orca is pretty much a big dolphin") are pretty smart, but not smart enough to actually kill someone on purpose.
Eating

Santa Cruz, CA

#7 Feb 26, 2010
Oh my goodness, mass water fluoridation?!?! Again??

This has been debunked so many times as a scam. There are MANY, MANY alternatives. Free flouride pills (that work way better), etc. etc. etc. The only people that want to mass water fluoridate are the major corporations making money off of it.

Get a clue. Do some research on alternatives. Pick one. Support it.
Just my opinion

Berkeley, CA

#8 Feb 26, 2010
Joe Hertel: I guess your letter ran because the Sentinel didn't have a Ron Lowe letter today to fill it's intolerant pinhead quota.

Howard Mauthe: You attempt to diminish Watsonville's voter rejection of fluoridation in 2002 because it was by a narrow vote. But it was rejected by a larger margin than the 1999 no-fluoride vote in Santa Cruz, so why isn't the state and county government pushing to force it in Santa Cruz? Right...first knock off the politically weak Watsonville, and then head north.
Watsonville resident

AOL

#9 Feb 26, 2010
Mauthe: That "selfish" Martinelli company opposed fluoridation because it would cause the company to lose vital revenues from its export of juice mix products to Europe - because almost all of Europe has already banned both the fluoridation of its public waters AND the importation of food and drink products exposed in any way to fluoride. If Watsonville's oldest business (around 160 years old) is selfish for simply wanting to survive and continue providing many Watsonville residents with jobs in a rough economy, then I'm selfish enough to support them. As for your kinder words for Granite - yeah, I guess a business dealing primarily in cement wouldn't have such a big problem about mixing it with fluoridated water. Few of its customer eat paving materials.
Live Oak Lover

Santa Cruz, CA

#10 Feb 26, 2010
While dolphins may not be "smart enough" to kill a human being there have been several remarkable instances of dolphins saving the lives of humans in distress. On porpoise!
Forgive Me

Brisbane, CA

#11 Feb 26, 2010
Live Oak Lover wrote:
While dolphins may not be "smart enough" to kill a human being there have been several remarkable instances of dolphins saving the lives of humans in distress. On porpoise!
Old joke punch line:

He was arrested for transporting mynahs across the state lion for immortal porpoises!

(Be thankful I spared you the whole joke)

“Where Did All the Money Go?”

Since: Sep 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#12 Feb 26, 2010
Joseph Hertel wrote:
A Bible for a burger

One of the most degrading aspects of American culture is the persistence of religious primativism. Self-righteous fanatics descending upon Haiti to convert the heathen savages?! Take a Bible and receive a sandwich!

The symbiotic forces of god and capitalism continue the process of colonization through rationalized greed and delusional superiority. Obviously, not much has changed but the stories we tell. I propose a day of religious intolerance. Time we stopped encouraging these lunatics here at home before we spread the disease around the globe. The consequences of so much goodness are all too familiar.

Joseph Hertel, Santa Cruz
Wow, Mr. Hertel! I think that you are reading an awful lot into acts of compassion and kindness by Christians and others. Sure, Christian organizations that are spending their non-governmental, privately-raised money and donating their time to help others will attempt to share the good news of God's love. I'm willing to bet that EVERY aid group operating in Haiti promotes their country, their organization, their cause, or their God.

May I ask, what provoked your anger?
RobtA

Fremont, CA

#13 Feb 26, 2010
No soup for you, Joseph.
Facts only please

Ben Lomond, CA

#14 Feb 26, 2010
Marsha Taffett - Be responsible and obey the law. Marijuana is illegal, and is not a medicine in any classification by any medical professional field other than pot growers who want to make big bucks off of it with the protection of the police.
hogan

United States

#15 Feb 26, 2010
kangaroos die from fluoride in the water ABC news farm animals DIE from FLUORIDE in the water look it up ,
Eating

Santa Cruz, CA

#16 Feb 26, 2010
Facts only please wrote:
Marsha Taffett - Be responsible and obey the law. Marijuana is illegal, and is not a medicine in any classification by any medical professional field other than pot growers who want to make big bucks off of it with the protection of the police.
Spoken lie a good sheep.
Ex Liberal

Chicago, IL

#18 Feb 26, 2010
How sad for Mr. Hertel to go through life with such an angry misinformed attitude and outlook toward Christians who have selflessly given their time and work towards helping others less fortunate than themslves all around this planet! Sir, those Christain groups providing assistance have done so in Haiti for decades before the earthquake! Get off your secular soap box and donate some of your time and money to help others in need! Take a trip down to your local community church and ask how you might serve the lord by serving others!
Eating

Santa Cruz, CA

#19 Feb 26, 2010
Ex Liberal wrote:
How sad for Mr. Hertel to go through life with such an angry misinformed attitude and outlook toward Christians who have selflessly given their time and work towards helping others less fortunate than themslves all around this planet! Sir, those Christain groups providing assistance have done so in Haiti for decades before the earthquake! Get off your secular soap box and donate some of your time and money to help others in need! Take a trip down to your local community church and ask how you might serve the lord by serving others!
"the lord"? what about "the lady"?
Ex Liberal

Chicago, IL

#20 Feb 26, 2010
Eating wrote:
Oh my goodness, mass water fluoridation?!?! Again??
This has been debunked so many times as a scam. There are MANY, MANY alternatives. Free flouride pills (that work way better), etc. etc. etc. The only people that want to mass water fluoridate are the major corporations making money off of it.
Get a clue. Do some research on alternatives. Pick one. Support it.

Sorry you are misinformed. Talk to an educated practicing dental professional ie; a hygienist or doctor! They'll set you straight as they have most likely observed the damage to those who were not fortunate to have grown up drinking fluoridated water which typically contains about 1 ppm of fluoride ion! And then tell me why the dental profession would desire to see the public benefit especially since they receive nothing financially from those with less tooth decay and structural loss or degradation as the result of never having the luxury of drinking low dose fluoride ion treatment via the municipal water delivery system. Communities with fluoride treatment have a demonstrated benefit and the dental profession has less work thus less income! Hum, there goes the financial inducement angle for being a proponent of water fluoridation systems!
ken

United States

#21 Feb 26, 2010
I applaud anybody who goes to Haiti to provide needed assistance.

Administering care to the wounded = Thank you!
Fixing broken infrastructure = Good Job!

Passing out Bibles = Please don't bother. Save trees.
Praying = Waste of time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corralitos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Capitola man pays fine for faking Santa Cruz ha... Aug 11 ANON 2
News The Habit Burger Grill coming to Santa Cruz Aug 9 agitated and anxious 3
Review: Highland High School Aug 7 Highland High School 20
News Candidates release Santa Cruz council campaign ... Aug 5 Teialcafeli 1
what ever happend to Rene Medina (Feb '14) Aug 2 treehouse 3
News Pokemon Go craze draws tourists to Santa Cruz Aug 1 Stalking John 16
News In three years group collects 10,000 discarded ... (Feb '16) Feb '16 WooF 5

Corralitos Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Corralitos Mortgages