Survey: Homeless Trend in Santa Cruz ...

Survey: Homeless Trend in Santa Cruz County Rising

There are 164 comments on the Patch.com story from Oct 23, 2013, titled Survey: Homeless Trend in Santa Cruz County Rising. In it, Patch.com reports that:

Despite the improving nationwide economy, a new census report indicates the number of homeless people in Santa Cruz County is trending upward.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Patch.com.

DBS

Sunnyvale, CA

#21 Oct 25, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
Between the testimony of the City's Public Safety Task Force, the Homeless Census & Survey 2013, The City's Homelessness Study Session or data provided by the Santa Cruz County Sheriff re: recidivism & incarceration, it all shows that HUFF has been right all along and that the beliefs held & promoted by the PSTF, Take Back Santa Cruz, Councilmembers Comstock & Judge Ariadne Symons are completely wrong.
Homelessness in Santa Cruz County represents 1.3% of our total population. This is in line with a 1 - 3% homeless rate experienced by cities across our nation.
So we don't have "more than our share."
72% last had housing in SC County.
With only 18% of our homeless pop. sheltered, our services rank among the worst in the nation. Last year, the region ranked 400th out of 425 in the percentage of its homeless population that was sheltered, according HUD data -- one notch above the U.S. Virgin Islands. Hardly a homeless "magnet."
So no, MOST homeless people are NOT moving from outside of Santa Cruz here for our "wonderful" services. They were living here already and our services are not at all "generous."
Data also reveal that homeless people do NOT statistically represent a safety risk to housed people. The VAST majority of "crimes" they are cited or arrested for are camping, sleeping, having an open container, being in a park after hours, dog on the mall after dark, etc. These "crimes" do not truly impact in any way the assault, burglary, car-jacking, or rape rate.
And statistics do NOT show that predatory people are coming from outside of Santa Cruz to prey on our community. 17 out of the 18 people currently charged with murder are locals.
Finally, the Sheriff's report that the length of sentence has no effect on recidivisms. This means that we can greatly shorten sentences w/o any negative effect on public safety. We can allieve overcrowding AND reduce costs.
And what percentage of homeless people did BJ the Flabby Fraud and Robert Kahnjob the multi-millionaire do anything to help?

The usual ZERO.

Oh wait, they're too busy protesting what percentage of the sidewalk junkies can use to demand your paycheck for their drug habit.
John

Santa Cruz, CA

#22 Oct 25, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
Homelessness in Santa Cruz County represents 1.3% of our total population. This is in line with a 1 - 3% homeless rate experienced by cities across our nation.
Counties and Cities are two different things.
Donny B

Falls Church, VA

#23 Oct 25, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
... BLAH, BLAH, BLAH More BS from BJ.

Finally, the Sheriff's report that the length of sentence has no effect on recidivisms. This means that we can greatly shorten sentences w/o any negative effect on public safety. We can allieve overcrowding AND reduce costs.
BJ, this is yet again another example of your use of flawed logic, not looking at the big picture, and commenting on things you know little to nothing about.

By stating that the length of sentence has no effect on recidivism, the Sheriff's report is stating that the time a criminal stays in jail/prison does not make them LESS likely to commit criminal acts. YOUR statement that "we can greatly shorten sentences w/o any negative effect on public safety" is pure BS. Reducing their sentences let's the criminals out even sooner so they can commit more crime in SC.
Bud

Santa Cruz, CA

#24 Oct 25, 2013
John wrote:
<quoted text>
Counties and Cities are two different things.
Last time the census was made public (2 yrs ago) a poster named Craig (I think that was the name) showed the same flaw in statistical analysis that BJ used then just like now.
BRBanonXYZ

Santa Cruz, CA

#25 Oct 25, 2013
Anyone else notice the poster named "Raleigh" on the Sentinel has the same talking points as this John guy and the TBSC Troll Alert/Reality Chicken? My bet is it's the same person, repeating the same things like: Hate, Bully, Meth, Homeless, Anti-community group, Anti-SCPD, debate.

His next point will be something along the lines of: Nazi's, Fascists, beat the homeless in a sleeping bag to a pulp community groups.

“Pearls before swine”

Since: Mar 08

Santa Cruz, CA.

#26 Oct 25, 2013
JOHN WRITES:"Counties and Cities are two different things."

BECKY: Oh, really? Thanks for the tip. Above I only wrote about the County. According to the Homelessness Census & Survey, 1,351 individuals were physically counted on a single night within the City of Santa Cruz(Pop. 62,041)or 2.1%. Yup. Between 1-3% homeless, just like everywhere else.
Donny B

Falls Church, VA

#27 Oct 25, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
JOHN WRITES:"Counties and Cities are two different things."
BECKY: Oh, really? Thanks for the tip. Above I only wrote about the County. According to the Homelessness Census & Survey, 1,351 individuals were physically counted on a single night within the City of Santa Cruz(Pop. 62,041)or 2.1%. Yup. Between 1-3% homeless, just like everywhere else.
You missed the point, BJ.

You stated "Homelessness in Santa Cruz County represents 1.3% of our total population. This is in line with a 1 - 3% homeless rate experienced by cities across our nation."

You were comparing SC COUNTY to CITIES across the nation.

Yet another example of your flawed logic and analysis.
John

Santa Cruz, CA

#28 Oct 25, 2013
It was an easy troll to bait her with, and thanks for understanding my point. I didn't think it'd be too hard to see the sarcasm in it. She just wants to refute, debate, and rattle her own tail while thinking it's doing some good in the world. It's just entertainment for the rest of us out here in the interwebbz.
DBS

Santa Clara, CA

#29 Oct 25, 2013
I knew it wouldn't take BJ very long to start spewing more manure with her delusional spin on the statistics.

P.S. Hey BJ, heard any FAT jokes lately?
DBS

Santa Clara, CA

#30 Oct 25, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
Between the testimony of the City's Public Safety Task Force, the Homeless Census & Survey 2013, The City's Homelessness Study Session or data provided by the Santa Cruz County Sheriff re: recidivism & incarceration, it all shows that HUFF has been right all along and that the beliefs held & promoted by the PSTF, Take Back Santa Cruz, Councilmembers Comstock & Judge Ariadne Symons are completely wrong.
With only 18% of our homeless pop. sheltered, our services rank among the worst in the nation. Last year, the region ranked 400th out of 425 in the percentage of its homeless population that was sheltered, according HUD data -- one notch above the U.S. Virgin Islands. Hardly a homeless "magnet."
So no, MOST homeless people are NOT moving from outside of Santa Cruz here for our "wonderful" services. They were living here already and our services are not at all "generous."
Data also reveal that homeless people do NOT statistically represent a safety risk to housed people. The VAST majority of "crimes" they are cited or arrested for are camping, sleeping, having an open container, being in a park after hours, dog on the mall after dark, etc. These "crimes" do not truly impact in any way the assault, burglary, car-jacking, or rape rate.
And statistics do NOT show that predatory people are coming from outside of Santa Cruz to prey on our community. 17 out of the 18 people currently charged with murder are locals.
And as always, Robert Kahnjob and BJ Whackjob:

Didn't contribute anything.

Didn't help anyone.

Didn't accomplish anything.

Anybody surprised?

I didn't think so.

“Pearls before swine”

Santa Cruz, CA.

#31 Oct 26, 2013
Anyway, my points still stand despite your scrutiny:

1. MOST homeless people in Santa Cruz last had housing IN SANTA CRUZ
2. Homeless people from other counties or states are not flocking to Santa Cruz in droves
3. We do NOT have "generous" services. Our ratio of unsheltered v sheltered is one of the worst in the country
4. We do not have a rising crime rate if one views the last 15 or 20 years. Homeless people are not statistically more likely to assault, burglarize, rape, or murder other citizens.
5. We do not have "more than our share" of homeless people.
DBS

Santa Clara, CA

#32 Oct 26, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
2. Homeless people from other counties or states are not flocking to Santa Cruz in droves
3. We do NOT have "generous" services. Our ratio of unsheltered v sheltered is one of the worst in the country
4. We do not have a rising crime rate if one views the last 15 or 20 years. Homeless people are not statistically more likely to assault, burglarize, rape, or murder other citizens.
Sure thing whackjob.

Just like you "proved" that teachers make $824 A day.

Are you size SEVENTEEN yet?
Donny B

Falls Church, VA

#33 Oct 26, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
Everything you post is opinion and supposition as nothing is based on actual fact. The basis for almost all of what you say is based on stats from the homeless survey and that is highly questionable.
John

Santa Cruz, CA

#34 Oct 26, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
Actually, they're not your points but those found from the Census.

My opinion is that we have a lot of homeless living on the streets for reasons unknown to most. There are criminals, transients, bums, vagrants, drug abusers, and generally stupid people in our society both housed and unhoused. From a community members perspective, we have more than our fair share of homeless.

I find it interesting that you think you win this "argument" where no matter what side you stand on - the state of homelessness here is ridiculous, out of control, and nothing society does will change derelicts trashing the woods, creating forest fires, being nuisances, and not changing their own reality for the sake of not just themselves but the rest of us in the community they're squatting in.

I've told you this before, but I've experienced homelessness, my family members have, my friends have, and I still hold the opinion that society doesn't owe you a god damn thing and you need to work, swallow your pride, and get your sh*t together if you're on the streets. What, these people don't have any friends? Who's fault is that?

Put those millions from the feds that's given to the county for homelessness into mental health, drug treatment, and job skill/placement. The rest is up to the individual, not the government.

“Pearls before swine”

Santa Cruz, CA.

#35 Oct 26, 2013
DONNY B WRITES: "Everything you post is opinion and supposition as nothing is based on actual fact. The basis for almost all of what you say is based on stats from the homeless survey and that is highly questionable."

BECKY: Wrong. I'm quoting from the City's Study Session on Homelessness http://takebacksantacruz.com/wp-content/uploa...

The Public Safety Task Force http://www.cityofsantacruz.com/index.aspx...

AND the Homeless Census & Survey 2013 http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2013/10/23/1...

Please listen especially to information provided by Judge John Salazar & Deputy Verinsky about the jail.

Even the SENTINEL had to admit, the data do not show that homeless people flock here for our homeless services: http://m.santacruzsentinel.com/santacruz/db_3...
Refute me if you can!

“Pearls before swine”

Santa Cruz, CA.

#36 Oct 26, 2013
JOHN WRITES: "From a community members perspective, we have more than our fair share of homeless."

BECKY: From actual data scientifically collected we don't find that Santa Cruz is the destination point for people who are already homeless. All cities in the USA are suffering from homelessness. We don't have "more than our share." In fact, the average homeless person on our streets is MOST LIKELY to have lost his/her housing in Santa Cruz, MOSTLY because they could no longer pay the extremely high rent here.

We have a very poor wage to cost-of-living ratio here. That has been true for decades and has NOTHING to do with "personal responsibility."

I find your self-reliant trait to be quaint but not inspiring. The "I got mine, you go get yours" attitude leaves me cold.

How hard (or expensive) would it be to subsidize housing for the 1 - 3% who are suffering on our streets in one of the richest counties in the world?

DBS

Santa Clara, CA

#37 Oct 26, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
I find your self-reliant trait to be quaint but not inspiring. The "I got mine, you go get yours" attitude leaves me cold.
How hard (or expensive) would it be to subsidize housing for the 1 - 3% who are suffering on our streets in one of the richest counties in the world?
Tell that to Robert Norris Kahn, the trustfund multi-millionaire who refuses to contribute ONE SINGLE PENNY to help ANY of the people he claims to care so much for!!!!

P.S. And don't give us any of that CRAP that Robert's crackpot demands on other people(while he contributes nothing) is some sort of "Contribution".
DBS

Santa Clara, CA

#38 Oct 26, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:

We have a very poor wage to cost-of-living ratio here. That has been true for decades and has NOTHING to do with "personal responsibility."
Hey BJ, we already know that you're too stupid/stoned to grasp the concept of personal responsibility.

You don't need to prove it again.
John

Santa Cruz, CA

#39 Oct 26, 2013
Becky Johnson wrote:
JOHN WRITES: "From a community members perspective, we have more than our fair share of homeless."
BECKY: From actual data scientifically collected we don't find that Santa Cruz is the destination point for people who are already homeless. All cities in the USA are suffering from homelessness. We don't have "more than our share." In fact, the average homeless person on our streets is MOST LIKELY to have lost his/her housing in Santa Cruz, MOSTLY because they could no longer pay the extremely high rent here.
Yes, we have a very poor wage to cost of living ratio here, it's obvious and doesn't even need to be made a point (but you'll claim it as yours, all yours, shake that tail). Self-reliant traits are a thing of the past, aren't they Ms. Johnson? You have a personal and social responsibility to get your life back on track if you're down and out. Complaining about services, freebies, and shelter for what has it been, 30 years, hasn't done anything for those people out there Becky. Your activism is quaint.
redmon

Santa Cruz, CA

#40 Oct 26, 2013
What is our Fair Share of Homeless? I believe our Community has shown Becky through comments, debate, letters, articles, task forces, community groups, business investors, city councils, supes, judges, police, fire, paramedics, hospitals, etc., that we have more than our fair share. I guess a census study that has a very large margin of error, and states there are probably many more homeless out there but officially states that 1-3% is normal for our community vs. nationally, is the bible and shall be quoted as SCIENTIFIC PROOF that everyone is wrong, and HUFF/Becky is right. LOL, just LOL.

Here's a fun story. This one time, I was in the hospital ER, I was helping a nurse clean a homeless person, took his pants off and dude had white mushrooms growing off his penis and testicles. A grown man, capable of gripping, walking, talking, demanding, pissing, pooping, and eating, couldn't wash himself before MUSHROOMS GREW ON HIS TESTICLES. Self-reliance, personal responsibility, it's a thing of the past. It's a sad sad world out there, but we should just house them, it's only 1-3% of the population...lol, LOL!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corralitos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dogs having fun 14 hr Loon B Gone 7
Review: Anderson Chiropractic Office - Marvin G... (Sep '10) Jul 5 Hucksters 6
News Suspect in Westside home invasion robbery arrested (May '09) Jul 3 Chuck 75
News Suspect in Soquel murder makes first court appe... (Aug '10) Jun 27 831caligurl 46
News Father on drugs when he shot daughter, himself ... Jun 27 Bae 2
News Vagos motorcycle club targeted in Southern Cali... (Mar '06) Jun 22 CassH 4,849
Review: Highland Meadows Apartments (Apr '11) Jun '17 MARIBEL 1,050

Corralitos Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Corralitos Mortgages