Federal voting rights cited in Watson...

Federal voting rights cited in Watsonville Council appointment lawsuit: Lawyers says plaintiffs s...

There are 54 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Nov 23, 2010, titled Federal voting rights cited in Watsonville Council appointment lawsuit: Lawyers says plaintiffs s.... In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

With arguments based on the federal Voting Rights Act and the separation of powers doctrine, as well as local and state codes, the city on Monday launched its fight against a lawsuit seeking to prevent Mayor Luis Alejo from voting on his successor.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Jess Wundrin

Milpitas, CA

#1 Nov 23, 2010
Hard copy headline said "District 2 voters would suffer if Alejo is prohibited from choosing successor". How would they suffer? By having the opportunity to choose their own representative in a special election?

Also, the city complains of the $6800 cost for a special election, but how much is it paying to hire out-of-town attorneys to help Alejo vote to replace himself? And this after Alejo cost the city around $10,000 in study and staff time for his attempt to pay back Dolores Huerta's campaign support by trying to rename the downtown plaza after her.

How much more will Watsonville have to pay to satisfy Alejo's power trips?
Alejo wasting our money

AOL

#2 Nov 23, 2010
Exactly like Alejo, Santa Barbara City Councilman Das Williams beat a Democrat opponent in the primary for state assembly this year, then beat a Republican opponent in the general election. He announced his resignation effective Dec. 6th, and the city announced it would consider applications to replace him on Dec. 7th - without Williams' involvement.

The difference? Both the city of Santa Barbara and Williams exist in the real world where a vacancy actually means a vacancy - not a word whose definition can be twisted by a control freak politician hoping to pick a stooge for his replacement in order to control Watsonville's District 2 from Sacramento. And all done with the money of Watsonville taxpayers. Just what we need in Sacramento...another hack who's very generous with other people's money.
corralitosres

AOL

#3 Nov 23, 2010
Two great posts. Alejo has wasted so much of the city's money already. He needs to pack his bags and go. He will not be a loose cannon in Sacramento. The shrimp will be low man and cannot decide things on his own. What has he actually done for the city since becoming Mayor. NOTHING. Oh, he gave out 74 city proclamations with his name on them in 10 months costing the city probably well over 5000.00. WOW. all in the name of good campaigning.

GO alejo and take your ilk with you.

Oh, btw,you should go by the address Alejo claims to be his residence. It isn't.. so where does he live?
argh

Pittsburg, CA

#4 Nov 23, 2010
Another great reason to let Watsonville fall to the wayside of another TJ. Great going to the City Manager who steps up to the plate. NOT!
This is sickening the people of Watsonville should be able to vote for THEIR SAID REPRESENTATION..mayor, and city council.

Fight the good fight....
same loser

United States

#5 Nov 23, 2010
lurkers spewing the same anti-latino drivel. Yes we get it...you want to go back to the "old days." What you well meaning but slack jawed yokels fail to realize is that Watsonville City Council is still under a federal court order that ultimatley prohibits disenfranchising voters in Mr. Alejo's district (or any distrcit for that matter). The Federal court ruled that Watsonville historically engaged in "racially polarized voting" (before you nutjob teabaggers become unglued I would invite you to read the court decision for yourself-if you can). The amateur attempt by Mr. Martinez (who is carrying water for his conservative buddies)invites a lawsuit and now we taxpayers have to pay for Mr. martinez' inability to read the federal court order. Shame on martinez for attempting to violate the federal court order so that we can go back to the days of "racially polarized voting."
I Was There

San Jose, CA

#6 Nov 23, 2010
same loser wrote:
lurkers spewing the same anti-latino drivel. Yes we get it...you want to go back to the "old days." What you well meaning but slack jawed yokels fail to realize is that Watsonville City Council is still under a federal court order that ultimatley prohibits disenfranchising voters in Mr. Alejo's district (or any distrcit for that matter). The Federal court ruled that Watsonville historically engaged in "racially polarized voting" (before you nutjob teabaggers become unglued I would invite you to read the court decision for yourself-if you can). The amateur attempt by Mr. Martinez (who is carrying water for his conservative buddies)invites a lawsuit and now we taxpayers have to pay for Mr. martinez' inability to read the federal court order. Shame on martinez for attempting to violate the federal court order so that we can go back to the days of "racially polarized voting."
Your name says it all.
corralitosres

AOL

#7 Nov 23, 2010
Hey LOSER. WHERE please show us is this a racial issue. The ones making it one is Alejo and his BB. NOT me. And can you tell me what RACE mr. Martinez is?

You people that stand on everything is a race issue are a bunch of nincompoops that can't tell that this is AMERICA.. Not Mexico or any other country.

Get off the RACE issue and make it an AMERICAN issue. Mr. Alejo bends all the rules to fit his needs. His pompus Argh should be run out of town and this city should TRY to get back to being an AMERICAN city.

I am an American and proud of it. My nationality doesn't play into the picture and neither should yours if you are AMERICAN. GET IT?
BoooooYaaaaa

Salinas, CA

#9 Nov 23, 2010
Shout Out to Same Looser who just doesn't get it. I think Emilio Martinez is Latimo, I mean he sure looks the part and that last name kinda gives it away. Meh who knows... maybe he is just faking it and learned Spanish by using Rosetta Stone... I heard that program works.

But my REAL question is this... Did the city of Watsonville not trust their dear city attorney enough to fight this battle. It was HIS recommendation to fight it and then they bring lawyers from an other City.

Poor Allan Smith... If I was him I would start looking for a new job.
Steve Hartman

AOL

#10 Nov 23, 2010
What's another name for "corrupt" that starts with an "A."
BoooooYaaaaa

Salinas, CA

#11 Nov 23, 2010
Let me guess.... Alejo??? or Alan Smith?? I can not decide which one.
corralitosres

AOL

#12 Nov 23, 2010
Steve.,. Alejo, Allen, Acarlos, Abersamine, Arivas.. shall I go on
You poor

United States

#13 Nov 23, 2010
folks just don't get it and you never will. Living in a bubble may bring you some small comfort but it will not save you from reality. Your comments reveal a strong preference for conspiracies that do not exist and an alarming ignorance of Watsonville history as it relates to the Federal Voting Rights Court Order. It is online you can read for yourself (it you believe in conspiracies you won't bother reading it). Just because you believe Martinez is latino is simply irrelevant to this argument. He is a criminal who was arrested for making vile threats to his former employer and he is known in the community as someone who over indulges. Plan and simple.
Watsonvillain

Watsonville, CA

#14 Nov 23, 2010
This is such a stupid lawsuit. If Alejo's post would be completely vacant, or empty, then why can he still attend and facilitate the City Council meetings and vote on any other issue?

Uhm, hey stupid Martinez, your attempt to twist connotation will not work. A courtroom is a courtroom, not a conservative chatroom where you can rant about meaningless stupid stuff.

Martinez, Bobeda, Bankhead - dumb mindless teabag drones.
Tools

United States

#15 Nov 23, 2010
This is just an attempt by the conservatives who lost the voting rights act lawsuit to circumvent the law. what a disgusting waste of taxpayer money on a lawsuitthat has zero chance of winning.
corralitosres

AOL

#16 Nov 23, 2010
YOOO.l. POOR. get your facts straight. Mr. Martinez was NEVER arrested .. and this was just another dirty politicals move on Alejo and Campos part. GET IT.. plan and simple.
Second.. Race should not be an issue here PERIOD. Alejo will find out his RACE$ and his BB are not going to work in the state capital. So POOR (me thinks you are a mouthpiece for Alejo), think again.

Watsonvill.. You are really not in the ring See, if Alejo is out of the seat, he has NO SAY SO. GET IT?
La Verdad

Santa Cruz, CA

#17 Nov 23, 2010
You poor wrote:
folks just don't get it and you never will. Living in a bubble may bring you some small comfort but it will not save you from reality. Your comments reveal a strong preference for conspiracies that do not exist and an alarming ignorance of Watsonville history as it relates to the Federal Voting Rights Court Order. It is online you can read for yourself (it you believe in conspiracies you won't bother reading it). Just because you believe Martinez is latino is simply irrelevant to this argument. He is a criminal who was arrested for making vile threats to his former employer and he is known in the community as someone who over indulges. Plan and simple.
Emilio was not "arrested". He does not have an arrest record. He cleared up a warrant that was never issued. He still has his Private Investigator's license which is reviewed by the FBI. He was just cleared again and renewed his license after his "arrest". To call him a "criminal" is slanderous. What is boarder line criminal is the amount of money the city is spending to allow Alejo to vote. If it was as simple as a Federal Voting Rights Court Order then why didn't city attorney Alan Smith handle it instead of the city hiring 4 high powered attorneys to argue the matter in front of the court? How much is that costing the city?$25,000 and the city also has to pay city attorney Smith...so out city manager and city attorney disagree this is a simple "Federal Voting Rights Court Order" otherwise they would not have gone out of town to hire a high profile legal dream team!

Luis Alejo has cost the city more money than any other mayor in recent history. He has handed out around 75 Proclamations that probably cost on average $300 each that includes staff time and costs for the plaques. That's $22,500. It cost the city approximately $9,000 to attempt to re-name the City Plaza, at least $25,000 for attorney fees so he can vote (Mayor Newsom isn't voting for his replacement) and the cost of fluoridation that Alejo instigated will cost the city at least $100,000 in revenue.....add it up what it cost Watsonville to have Alejo as Mayor.....$156,500.00!!! This for a city whose citizens earn on average what it costs to give out 75 Proclamations....$22,000 per year...yea Loser...get a grip!
BoooooYaaaaa

Salinas, CA

#18 Nov 23, 2010
Emilio was not "arrested". He does not have an arrest record. He cleared up a warrant that was never issued. He still has his Private Investigator's license which is reviewed by the FBI. He was just cleared again and renewed his license after his "arrest". To call him a "criminal" is slanderous.

What is sad is people keep thinking that Emilio was arrested. He was never and the Judge laughed when it came to court saying that this was a political tactic to hurt Emilio. Which we can see worked politically though the only ones who keep bringing it up are ignorant and not smart enough to find facts.

Maybe that is why Emilio is the one with the PI License and not You Poor?? Just asking.
Publicitywhore

Seaside, CA

#19 Nov 23, 2010
corralitosres wrote:
Two great posts. Alejo has wasted so much of the city's money already. He needs to pack his bags and go. He will not be a loose cannon in Sacramento. The shrimp will be low man and cannot decide things on his own. What has he actually done for the city since becoming Mayor. NOTHING. Oh, he gave out 74 city proclamations with his name on them in 10 months costing the city probably well over 5000.00. WOW. all in the name of good campaigning.
GO alejo and take your ilk with you.
Oh, btw,you should go by the address Alejo claims to be his residence. It isn't.. so where does he live?
Actually, it is Martinez who is wasting taxpayer money by filing the lawsuit. He didn't get his way, so he goes crying to his millionaire sugar-daddy goon, Ken Adelman, so he can pay for his lawsuit. What a je.rk! How did this guy get into office anyway many ask? Oh yeah, backstabbing his best friend, Ed Din, to launch himself into his seat. That should tell you what kind of guy this is.
Tools

United States

#20 Nov 23, 2010
The only thing Martinez has done for the City of Watsonville is cry and whine everytime a vote does not go his way. he is being used as a pawn by conservatives and does not realize that he is being used. He is a self hater who does not realize that he is often protrayed (rightly I might add) as an illiterate buffoon with no agenda and no allies on the council to carry his agenda. In short, he should stick to drinking beer on a bar stool and leaving violent messages on his former employers message machine. When Martinez loses this lawsuit I hope he has the decency to pay the taxpayers back for his (or his conservtive friends') deluded effort at turning back the clock. Martinez is an embarrassment to this community in every respect of the word.
La Verdad

Santa Cruz, CA

#21 Nov 23, 2010
Publicitywhore wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it is Martinez who is wasting taxpayer money by filing the lawsuit. He didn't get his way, so he goes crying to his millionaire sugar-daddy goon, Ken Adelman, so he can pay for his lawsuit. What a je.rk! How did this guy get into office anyway many ask? Oh yeah, backstabbing his best friend, Ed Din, to launch himself into his seat. That should tell you what kind of guy this is.
Did you mean Political Whore??....you know, the one who takes money from the California Dental Association and then pushes fluoride down Watsonville's throat? The one that used city money to rename the City Plaza or the one that is using city money so he can vote? Emilio got into office because he told the truth about his "friend" Edward Din....that he was making deals to build on Atkinson Lane with his buddy Tony Campos in return for being considered to replace him when Campos stepped down. Campos used that trick many times. That is why Din lost and Campos lost...because the word "integrity" came up as it does frequently with Alejo. The kind of guy Emilio is that he exposes the facts that many Latinos do not want to hear. City Govt. Corruption is starting to be more freely used since Emilio was elected and there is a reason why....just you wait and see.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corralitos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Highland Meadows Apartments (Apr '11) May 21 MARIBEL 1,035
News PVUSD may ask county for $30M loan (Apr '08) May 17 Daddy 2 5
News Vagos motorcycle club targeted in Southern Cali... (Mar '06) May 10 Well Well 4,846
gilroy environmental concerns May 9 anonymo 1
News Darrell Flanagan: Watsonville Fire Department s... (Jun '09) Apr '17 Zephyrab 22
News Father on drugs when he shot daughter, himself ... Apr '17 Sirena 1
News Missing cat travels 2600 miles, reunites with o... Apr '17 meow 1

Corralitos Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Corralitos Mortgages