Judge clears the way for Watsonville ...

Judge clears the way for Watsonville mayor to vote on appointment: Former mayor Oscar Rios sole c...

There are 39 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Judge clears the way for Watsonville mayor to vote on appointment: Former mayor Oscar Rios sole c.... In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Oscar Rios, a four-time mayor who stepped down as the District 2 representative on the City Council in 2008, may get his old job back.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tell the truth

United States

#27 Nov 30, 2010
Now I get it wrote:
Well, at least it all makes sense now. Alejo gets to vote, guaranteeing the selection of Rios, who helped him get elected to council and also supported him in Salinas for the assembly campaign. And with Rios applying, people in District 2 realized it was a done deal and nobody bothered applying against him. So the political clique's lock on District 2 continues.
But I thought Rios was a Salinas resident, so how did he satisfy the residency requirement? Did he use the dubious Jefferson Street apartment address from his previous time on the council, or did he use Alejo's dubious address in the Carr Street rooming house owned by his former employers at California Rural Legal Assistance?
If you were a friend of his you would know where he lives, but since you don't know, that means you don't really know him!!
Tell the truth

United States

#28 Nov 30, 2010
Slick Luis wrote:
Sal Marinovich (or whatever your real name might be): Steve Bankhead openly blasts Alejo's two-faced and self-aggrandizing nature in newspaper columns. Why would he bother sniping under a phony name like you...Luis...Manuel...Ramiro.. .whoever?
Back to on-topic points: Not mentioned so far is the slick way Alejo managed to exploit drawing the question of whether he would be voting down to the day before he votes. Normally, if a council member vacates their seat, the city provides a 30-day period for applicants. But this way they only had 24 hours, and Luis already has his mentor Oscar Rios sitting in his lap, ready to go. Sorry District 2 voters, but you got squeezed out of this little coronation.
District 2 love Oscar Rios idiot and they had always voted for him and will again!
Tell the truth

United States

#29 Nov 30, 2010
Sal Marinovich wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, Steve Bankhead. If that truly is you; how far will you degenerate from the poetic prose that you used to post on the Register-Pajaroian? Your concern about the Brown Beret's politial reach is just a thin veil for your racist fear-mongering. Why are you so concerned with advertising where he lives when you will not lift the mask to your true identity? Just because you try to hide behind a screen of anonymity does not hide the fact that you have the vindictiveness of a scorned lover. Yes, this is Watsonville's very own naysayer.
Pajarion should kick Bankhead out of there he is the reason people don't care for newspaper I buy the Sentinal always!
Get A Clue

San Jose, CA

#33 Nov 30, 2010
Tell the truth wrote:
<quoted text> Oscar Rios idiot
Well said.
Get A Clue

San Jose, CA

#34 Nov 30, 2010
Tell the truth wrote:
<quoted text> I buy the Sentinal always!
And it certainly shows.
Dave Siri

United States

#36 Nov 30, 2010
Has Mr Martinez passed any ordinances or carried any legislation since he has been on the City Council ? Just curious. Where can I find that information ? Alo, my neighbors don't have much good to say about him. I was told he was taking advantage of poor poeple. I hope this is not true. I did vote for him and I may be having second thoughts.
corralitosres

AOL

#37 Nov 30, 2010
Dave.. you and your crew must have a hard time keeping track of which names you use.

Your age is showing. Immaturity is very pronounced in all your names and your posts
Dave Siri

United States

#38 Nov 30, 2010
I guess I have my answer. Anyone else care to comment ?
I Was There

San Jose, CA

#40 Nov 30, 2010
My oh my wrote:
Racism begets racism...(tio taco)...
Yes, and you are a perfect example of it.
I Was There

San Jose, CA

#41 Nov 30, 2010
Steve Bankhead wrote:
...I might just move to Oregon.
Take I-5 north towards Redding, until you pass Hilt, CA and then over the border through Ashland. I hear chains are required at the Siskiyou Summit so please be prepared. And write when you get a chance. Bu-bye
I Was There

San Jose, CA

#43 Nov 30, 2010
Dave Siri wrote:
Has Mr Martinez passed any ordinances or carried any legislation since he has been on the City Council ? Just curious. Where can I find that information ? Alo, my neighbors don't have much good to say about him. I was told he was taking advantage of poor poeple. I hope this is not true. I did vote for him and I may be having second thoughts.
It's been very difficult for any other city council person to carry any legislation since Emperor Alejo has been in power and has deemed himself the only one to set city council agendas.

I know that Mr. Martinez was instrumental in getting a stop sign installed at Martinelli & Brewington and he has done much for many of the residents in his district. He has conducted neighborhood meetings and attended various Neighborhood Watch programs. He is always available to the residents he represents and always give out his phone number and contact information. I have never heard of him taking advantage of poor people (please site an example).

As for your neighbors, maybe you should get out more and mingle with some other neighbors to get a more fair and balanced idea of who he is and what he has done. He voted against fluoridation and will vote against the Atkinson Lane development.
I Was There

San Jose, CA

#44 Nov 30, 2010
Dave Siri wrote:
All City Council minutes are posted on the city's website, you are free to go and see how each council member has voted on any particular issue.
bill m

United States

#45 Nov 30, 2010
it's my understanding that the mayor sets the agenda. The mayor is appointed by his fellow council members. If you want to become mayor you have to build bridges. It has always been like that in politics in general. You can't denigrate your fellow council members and expect to receive any consideration for the post. As for County supervisor I do not see how Greg Caput will ever be part of a majority. At least Tony Campos built a coaliton to get votes for Watsonville. Who on the Supervisors Board will vote with Mr. Caput ? I think you'all know the answer. Wothout Tony we will not get any attention in South County. Should have thought beyond self interest. oh well.
sweetcakes

Bedford, TX

#46 Nov 30, 2010
TeaPatriot wrote:
What happend to all the comments?
All of mine were deleted. They were not offensive in any way. I'm careful.
Donna must have been mad that there are educated people in Watsonville who don't like what's going on there.
Steve Hartman

AOL

#47 Nov 30, 2010
I think that if someone from District 2 were to come forward and be outraged (albeit with flack jacket on) that someone from the legal community would help you challenge the corruption you think you are witness to...

Personally, I think it stinks of good ol' nino politics and corruption; but I live in such far away comfort now the only thing that really offends me in the "hell in a handbasket" crack. For Hel-e-na is a great little city!:)

Sign me
Steve in Montana
corralitosres

AOL

#48 Dec 1, 2010
bill m wrote:
it's my understanding that the mayor sets the agenda. The mayor is appointed by his fellow council members. If you want to become mayor you have to build bridges. It has always been like that in politics in general. You can't denigrate your fellow council members and expect to receive any consideration for the post. As for County supervisor I do not see how Greg Caput will ever be part of a majority. At least Tony Campos built a coaliton to get votes for Watsonville. Who on the Supervisors Board will vote with Mr. Caput ? I think you'all know the answer. Wothout Tony we will not get any attention in South County. Should have thought beyond self interest. oh well.
Awww. Bill so sweet of you to stick up for the fellow councilmen. Only a few corrections. One, the Mayor isn't supposed to SET the agenda alone. Two councilpersons are to be on the agenda committee and rotate. This is per Carlos. So check with him. Oh, I know Campos is your buddy but hey, new blood may be good. Do you support his and Becky's "FRAUD" charges where they were found guilty? Limited license is one punishment. Then didn't they have to repay the people they FRAUDED?
With an attitude like yours, the council is in BIG TROUBLE

Good Luck
Common Sense Centerville

AOL

#49 Dec 1, 2010
Dave Siri wrote:
Dave, it appears your neighbors are not very discriminating. Why don't you ask Mr. Martinez what is happening and how he is supposedly taking advantage of poor people. You listen to the gossip and you will never learn anything worthwhile. Go to the source and you won't look like a fool repeating some untruthful gossip. So you voted for him once, but he's not running for anything since he is seated for two more years. By then you might learn the truth and will be more than happy to support him. Martinez will talk to you.
Common Sense Centerville

Sonora, CA

#50 Dec 1, 2010
Sal Marinovich wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, Steve Bankhead. If that truly is you; how far will you degenerate from the poetic prose that you used to post on the Register-Pajaroian? Your concern about the Brown Beret's politial reach is just a thin veil for your racist fear-mongering. Why are you so concerned with advertising where he lives when you will not lift the mask to your true identity? Just because you try to hide behind a screen of anonymity does not hide the fact that you have the vindictiveness of a scorned lover. Yes, this is Watsonville's very own naysayer.
Sal Marinovich, was your great grandfather Mayor P.B. Marinovich? Hmmm he would be very unproud of you now. Though it is hard to believe your parents would have raised such a nasty son with such an ignorant racist attitude. You must be a forgery. By the way,it is Register-Pajaronian! Gosh! You might even be one of those evil bbs that fall under the spell of the little napoleon aka alejo.
Common Sense Centerville

Sonora, CA

#51 Dec 1, 2010
Tell the truth wrote:
<quoted text>Pajarion should kick Bankhead out of there he is the reason people don't care for newspaper I buy the Sentinal always!
I can understand why you don't buy the Pajaronian. If you can't spell it then how can you find it to read? And if you say you buy the 'Sentinal,' it's a wonder you can manage to read anything.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corralitos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Highland Meadows Apartments (Apr '11) 8 hr Al eister 1,383
Pacific Heights at 6900 Victoria Ave. Highland,... Mar '18 Pacific Heights H... 34
News Oscar Rios' Accusers Speak, As He Resigns Mar '18 Guadalupe 5
News In three years group collects 10,000 discarded ... (Feb '16) Feb '16 WooF 4
News Orchard Supply Hardware unveils $2.4M remodel i... (Feb '16) Feb '16 ok 3
News Live Oak stabbing is second in two days (Jun '08) Oct '14 maranatha 246
News Summit fire: Dream home destroyed (May '08) Aug '14 ang0709 18

Corralitos Jobs

Personal Finance

Corralitos Mortgages