Judge clears the way for Watsonville mayor to vote on appointment: Former mayor Oscar Rios sole c...

There are 20 comments on the Nov 30, 2010, Santa Cruz Sentinel story titled Judge clears the way for Watsonville mayor to vote on appointment: Former mayor Oscar Rios sole c.... In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Oscar Rios, a four-time mayor who stepped down as the District 2 representative on the City Council in 2008, may get his old job back.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
disabuser

Palm Springs, CA

#1 Nov 30, 2010
If it's common sense, then I assume it's done this way everywhere. Is that true? If not then political power gets to be extended from those who already have it by the exercise of their discretion instead of being limited by a consistent rule of law.
Now I get it

Fremont, CA

#2 Nov 30, 2010
Well, at least it all makes sense now. Alejo gets to vote, guaranteeing the selection of Rios, who helped him get elected to council and also supported him in Salinas for the assembly campaign. And with Rios applying, people in District 2 realized it was a done deal and nobody bothered applying against him. So the political clique's lock on District 2 continues.

But I thought Rios was a Salinas resident, so how did he satisfy the residency requirement? Did he use the dubious Jefferson Street apartment address from his previous time on the council, or did he use Alejo's dubious address in the Carr Street rooming house owned by his former employers at California Rural Legal Assistance?
TeaPatriot

Watsonville, CA

#3 Nov 30, 2010
What happend to all the comments?
Answers and question

Fremont, CA

#4 Nov 30, 2010
At least this now makes sense. Alejo fights to vote for his replacement, and up pops Oscar Rios who helped elect Alejo to the District 2 seat, and then supported his assembly campaign. And now with Rios applying and Alejo voting, other District 2 residents realize it's a done deal and nobody bothers applying. And the control of District 2 by the political clique continues.

But isn't Rios a Salinas resident? If so, how does he satisfy the residency requirement? Is he using that dubious Jefferson Street apartment address from his previous years on the council, or is he using Alejo's dubious boarding house address on Carr Street?
OutNumbered

Santa Cruz, CA

#6 Nov 30, 2010
What a dog and pony show. What next?
Get A Clue

San Jose, CA

#7 Nov 30, 2010
Great, just what we need - the return of Oscar Rios, someone MAYBE more embarrassing than Antonio Rivas. Wonder how the residents of District 2 feel about this?

OK, let's get those petitions going for electing our Mayor!
Just my opinion

AOL

#8 Nov 30, 2010
OutNumbered wrote:
What a dog and pony show. What next?
We'll probably get a Rios and Dodge show - two posers and preeners who will all but eat the council chamber wallpaper in playing to the camera and press. The only possible wild card is Montesino, who might be more independent than his campaign support from Alejo's Cesar Chavez Club would indicate. Otherwise, Watsonville's economic future will continue being controlled by union pawns who are totally clueless to fiscal reality.
corralitosres

AOL

#9 Nov 30, 2010
Got news for you. Alejo's Assembly campaign headquarters was in Salinas. And he wanted to return home to help his people. Yeah right. Also, the BB went door to door in Salinas signing anyone and everyone to vote.. TRUE. Also, Rios has been in the background for several months.
Look up the address (21 Carr ) at the county assessors office. You can go there by googling Santa Cruz Assessor's Office. Do a search by address and see what you come up with. Pretty darn good HUH.
This town is going to HELL in a hand basket with the ILK that has managed to get in. We cannot count on Neighbors, who probably will be the swing vote. And the bus driver, forgot his name, dont' know if he has been bought yet or not.
I sincerely hope ALL will attend the council meetings and give them hell. Let them know how you feel.
Done

Pleasanton, CA

#14 Nov 30, 2010
Last three posts are by the same person.
Give it a rest.
I Was There

San Jose, CA

#15 Nov 30, 2010
Check out the Letter to the Editor in today's edition of the Register-Pajaronian. Joyce Wagoner
SAYS IT ALL!

RIGHT ON, Joyce!
How does it feel

Fremont, CA

#16 Nov 30, 2010
To "Old Watsonville" "What is" & "Score": Shrimp Luis was in the news, so I expected the multi-posting from the same person (same Santa Cruz provider address) from one of his Brown Beret weasels. How does it feel to be thrown under the bus by Luis along with Watsonville? Alejo is big time now, and wants to pretend he has no connection to the urban guerilla/community activist group he founded. Bye bye BB.
corralitosres

AOL

#17 Nov 30, 2010
Old.. the city of watsonville will get a check when ALEJO pays up for this fiasco of renaming the plaza. He said to the public at the planning commission meeting IT WILL COST THE CITY NOTHING. PAY UP Alejo or SHUT UP.

If you were not so blindsighted by the glare of the balding little twirp, you would know that actually it was a WIN for Martinez yesterday. You see, NOW from here on out, even if the city is trying to DUMP an unsavory character from the city council, that unsavory character HAS THE RIGHT to vote in his replacement HAHAHA. Get it?
Get A Clue

San Jose, CA

#18 Nov 30, 2010
Holy Cow, why doesn't Joyce run for City Council??? BTW, I wouldn't give Alejo a balloon or a cake.
Get A Clue

San Jose, CA

#19 Nov 30, 2010
"His experience, knowledge, institutional memory..."

OK, I give, what is "institutional memory?"
Inquiring minds want to know.
I Was There

San Jose, CA

#20 Nov 30, 2010
How does it feel wrote:
Bye bye BB.
Let's hope so.
I Was There

San Jose, CA

#22 Nov 30, 2010
Get A Clue wrote:
OK, I give, what is "institutional memory?"
Inquiring minds want to know.
According to Wikipedia, "Institutional memory may be encouraged to preserve an ideology or way of work in such a group. Conversely, institutional memory may be ingrained to the point that it becomes hard to challenge if something is found to contradict that which was previously thought to have been correct."

Sounds like Alejo and his BBs to me. Rios is SOOOOO not right for the city council. Do we really need this stooge again?
corralitosres

AOL

#23 Nov 30, 2010
Get.. hehe. Give him a dozen helium balloons while standing on the roof of the parking garage Maybe he would float to Sacto .

Okay. Just some sarcastic humor here.
Watsonvillain

Watsonville, CA

#24 Nov 30, 2010
Waaa waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
Sal Marinovich

Glendale, CA

#25 Nov 30, 2010
corralitosres wrote:
Got news for you. Alejo's Assembly campaign headquarters was in Salinas. And he wanted to return home to help his people. Yeah right. Also, the BB went door to door in Salinas signing anyone and everyone to vote.. TRUE. Also, Rios has been in the background for several months.
Look up the address (21 Carr ) at the county assessors office. You can go there by googling Santa Cruz Assessor's Office. Do a search by address and see what you come up with. Pretty darn good HUH.
This town is going to HELL in a hand basket with the ILK that has managed to get in. We cannot count on Neighbors, who probably will be the swing vote. And the bus driver, forgot his name, dont' know if he has been bought yet or not.
I sincerely hope ALL will attend the council meetings and give them hell. Let them know how you feel.
Oh, Steve Bankhead. If that truly is you; how far will you degenerate from the poetic prose that you used to post on the Register-Pajaroian? Your concern about the Brown Beret's politial reach is just a thin veil for your racist fear-mongering. Why are you so concerned with advertising where he lives when you will not lift the mask to your true identity? Just because you try to hide behind a screen of anonymity does not hide the fact that you have the vindictiveness of a scorned lover. Yes, this is Watsonville's very own naysayer.
Slick Luis

Alameda, CA

#26 Nov 30, 2010
Sal Marinovich (or whatever your real name might be): Steve Bankhead openly blasts Alejo's two-faced and self-aggrandizing nature in newspaper columns. Why would he bother sniping under a phony name like you...Luis...Manuel...Ramiro.. .whoever?

Back to on-topic points: Not mentioned so far is the slick way Alejo managed to exploit drawing the question of whether he would be voting down to the day before he votes. Normally, if a council member vacates their seat, the city provides a 30-day period for applicants. But this way they only had 24 hours, and Luis already has his mentor Oscar Rios sitting in his lap, ready to go. Sorry District 2 voters, but you got squeezed out of this little coronation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corralitos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Spanking suspect re-arrested 6 hr anon 1
News Vagos motorcycle club targeted in Southern Cali... (Mar '06) Sun Jojo 4,816
News Crime victims rally in Santa Cruz Apr 25 The Parrot 10
Review: Highland Meadows Apartments (Apr '11) Apr 22 Dan 832
News Capitola Freight & Salvage to close at end of May Apr 20 ella seneres 1
Review: Round Table Pizza Apr 19 Round Table Pizza 1
Review: Dollar General Apr 19 Dollar General 1
More from around the web

Corralitos People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]