Albuquerque police shootings back to grand juries

Jan 11, 2013 Full story: Las Cruces Sun-News 8

Bernalillo County District Attorney Kari Brandenburg says she expects to resume the controversial practice of presenting police shooting cases to "investigative grand juries." The Albuquerque Journal reports that Brandenburg sent a letter this week to Second Judicial District Court judges saying she will begin scheduling the first of 12 pending ... (more)

Full Story

“Well, Stick A Finger In My Eye”

Since: Sep 09

Wouldn't You Like To Know?

#1 Jan 11, 2013
Sure, she ran unopposed because any political adversary would have to compete against Albuquerque PD money and intimidation. She is resuming her role as patron saint for rogue police officers. So, what else is new?

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#2 Jan 11, 2013
Kari Brandenburg's track record of convictions is abysmal at best, be it rogue cops, drunks, gangbangers or the other vermin in our society. The only thing she's successful with is plea bargains, much to the angst of many. But people forget that when they go to the polls and we have her again<sigh>.

“Kees Mee, I's Ireesh”

Since: Jun 09

Ol' Juarez

#3 Jan 11, 2013
DA is pretty much just a title. The Assistant DA's are the one's that try the cases. There is more involved to a plea bargain than people assume.
It is just like there is a Chief Public Defender, it is also just a title. Both the DA, and the CPD, usually only prosecute/defend, high profile cases, rarely anything else.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#4 Jan 12, 2013
Although the ADA's do must of the grunt work, its all overseen by the DA who is the elected official and the one responsible for all actions by that office. The issue is high profile enough that I'd be quite surprised if she doesn't get involved in these cases.

“Kees Mee, I's Ireesh”

Ol' Juarez

#5 Jan 12, 2013
If people are so sure that every case goes through the DA, you better think again, they don't. Pretty much the only thing the DA does is administrative, and on occasion try a headline case.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#6 Jan 12, 2013
I/we speak of her office, not her one on one. Regardless of whom does a plea bargain from the DA's office, she's got to bless it first.

“Kees Mee, I's Ireesh”

Ol' Juarez

#7 Jan 12, 2013
I suggest that all who believe that the DA is responsible for all plea bargains, spend a day educating themselves as to the way it actually works. It just may open your eyes and maybe, you will quit the blame game because she is a Democrat.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#8 Jan 12, 2013
She is responsible ultimately for ANY plea bargains the BernCo DAs office puts forth. Unless you are implying that the deputy DAs under her have full autonomy and can do as they please. Somehow I doubt that.

Her party affiliation is of no consequence to me, not sure why you'd even bring it up except to redirect/misdirect.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corrales Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 6 hr Bees 106,960
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 6 hr Mister Chix 56,142
Tourism boss takes over CYFD 8 hr Uh no 8
Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) 11 hr Bolgios 6,184
New Mexico Airlines cancels all flights until f... Sat conchapena 15
free chat (Nov '08) Sat raju 579
Review: Toy Planet Fri consumer joe 1
Corrales Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web