Cody Posey freed after 2004 shooting ...

Cody Posey freed after 2004 shooting spree on Sam Donaldson's NM ranch (8:40 a.m.)

There are 25 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Oct 13, 2010, titled Cody Posey freed after 2004 shooting spree on Sam Donaldson's NM ranch (8:40 a.m.). In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

After four-and-a-half years in state juvenile custody, the former teen convicted of killing his father, stepmother and stepsister on a Hondo area ranch is now a free man.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
MotherinLC

Las Cruces, NM

#1 Oct 13, 2010
This goes out to Cody...You have done a wonderful job while being "in the system", now you go put your boots on and show everyone else up Sunshine that you can do wonders with your knowledge and your smarts. I am right behind you 110%, I have so much faith in you Cody, don't let anyone else think different, you will encounter those people with their opinions, but just remember, they didn't walk through your shoes...just ignore them and know deep in your heart that you are supported. Right on Cody!
Valley Native

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Oct 13, 2010
I too wish this young man the best.
LC PARENT

Las Cruces, NM

#3 Oct 13, 2010
Let's not forget about the poor innocent 13 year old girl that this monster murdered. He should have gotten life for her murder. She will not be able to get a GED or college education.
JNNM

Las Cruces, NM

#4 Oct 13, 2010
A second chance is not had by all. He's fortunate to say the least.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#5 Oct 13, 2010
This story is so wrong. I do not think that the supposed abuse is an excuse for killing his dad, and step mom. Much less an excuse for killing his little step sister.
It actaully worries me to know that this KILLER is out and free to do what he please.
What if he MURDERS someones else? What would be the excuse then?
Notsofast

United States

#6 Oct 13, 2010
I wish the young man all the best.
Nasty Nate

Ashburn, VA

#7 Oct 13, 2010
She wasn't an innocent 13 year old girl. She was privy to the abuse and failed to act on Cody's behalf.
alawyer

United States

#8 Oct 13, 2010
What most prosecutors don't want to admit is that almost all of these kids in these circumstances can be rehabilitated. The ones who have failed are the ones who were not given the proper level of support. Posey spent 7 years in a youth prison - from 14 until 21. That might not seem like a long enough sentence to some folks out there, but he has been punished and rehabilitated. Let's try and do the same for all the other kids out there who have been dumped in the adult prison system.
alawyer

United States

#9 Oct 13, 2010
las cruces wrote:
This story is so wrong. I do not think that the supposed abuse is an excuse for killing his dad, and step mom. Much less an excuse for killing his little step sister.
It actaully worries me to know that this KILLER is out and free to do what he please.
What if he MURDERS someones else? What would be the excuse then?
You don't need to worry about this young man at all, or some of the other notorious youngsters publicly tried under similar circumstances, like the King brothers of Florida. They rarely go on to reoffend - worry more about the nut case at your office who feels victimized. He's the one who will shoot you for no reason.

It was awful what happened to Posey's sister but I look at her as a victim of her parents instead of her brother. They caused the entire situation with their abuse, and they recruited the little girl into their circle as part of the abuse - she was encouraged to inform on her brother for minor misdeeds and seemed to enjoy her favortism and watching him get punished. You don't expect a little girl to understand what that did to her brother, but the parents knew all too well what they were doing.

This case also shows why the "extended jurisdiction" or "blended sentencing" is wrong - 7 years is plenty of time to rehabilitate someone that young and they should have a date certain to be released so that they can work toward that goal without worrying that some politician will keep them in jail under arbitrary circumstances.
rehabilitated

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Oct 13, 2010
Just because his 13 year old sister was influenced by the parents shouldn't make it right and ok for her to be shot and killed. Why shouldn't she have been given the chance to be rehabilitated and counseled and taught that what their parents were doing and teaching her was wrong. It's just not right.
Bull Munch

Bell, FL

#12 Oct 13, 2010
Stay clean, stay straight and you will do great Cody!!
goober

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Oct 13, 2010
Ok So he's rehabilitated. Great. Now Let's see him in "breaking work" as they put it. Here's a reminder from his past, along with a bad day his boss is having and yelling at the workers, plus he is isolated from his co- workers b/c they know the name. uumm shooting waiting to happen? Great work people. I don't care how much work you put into him or how much he tries, this "kid can never be normal again. I will be more than glad to pay taxes for him to be on SSDI for PTSD or whatever they want to diagnos him with in order to keep him sane and keep the public safe.
angela melendez

Los Angeles, CA

#14 Oct 15, 2010
I watched the trial from day 1. And I have longed for this day to come also. Cody, keep your head up.
angela melendez

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Oct 15, 2010
alawyer wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't need to worry about this young man at all, or some of the other notorious youngsters publicly tried under similar circumstances, like the King brothers of Florida. They rarely go on to reoffend - worry more about the nut case at your office who feels victimized. He's the one who will shoot you for no reason.
It was awful what happened to Posey's sister but I look at her as a victim of her parents instead of her brother. They caused the entire situation with their abuse, and they recruited the little girl into their circle as part of the abuse - she was encouraged to inform on her brother for minor misdeeds and seemed to enjoy her favortism and watching him get punished. You don't expect a little girl to understand what that did to her brother, but the parents knew all too well what they were doing.
This case also shows why the "extended jurisdiction" or "blended sentencing" is wrong - 7 years is plenty of time to rehabilitate someone that young and they should have a date certain to be released so that they can work toward that goal without worrying that some politician will keep them in jail under arbitrary circumstances.
Nobody ever said it was right, he was an abused child that had had enough. He has done the time, for his crime, so leave him alone!
angela melendez

Los Angeles, CA

#16 Oct 15, 2010
goober wrote:
Ok So he's rehabilitated. Great. Now Let's see him in "breaking work" as they put it. Here's a reminder from his past, along with a bad day his boss is having and yelling at the workers, plus he is isolated from his co- workers b/c they know the name. uumm shooting waiting to happen? Great work people. I don't care how much work you put into him or how much he tries, this "kid can never be normal again. I will be more than glad to pay taxes for him to be on SSDI for PTSD or whatever they want to diagnos him with in order to keep him sane and keep the public safe.
Who are you to say he'll never be "normal" again?
angela melendez

Los Angeles, CA

#17 Oct 15, 2010
I totally agree. Your in my thoughts Cody!!
muppet

Galesburg, IL

#18 Dec 25, 2012
LC PARENT wrote:
Let's not forget about the poor innocent 13 year old girl that this monster murdered. He should have gotten life for her murder. She will not be able to get a GED or college education.
Had the 3 of them had their way Cody would have eventually died a horrible death
Dorothy

Federal Way, WA

#19 Jan 6, 2013
Go forward Cody and don't ever look back! You deserve this new start and I'm confident you will succeed at whatever you choose to do. You have more people "for" you than against you!
Get out there and be an advocate for our children!!
just

Albuquerque, NM

#20 Jan 6, 2013
another gangster who'll meet his end sooner than later, scum of the earth.
Just In

Biloxi, MS

#21 Jan 6, 2013
Dorothy wrote:
Go forward Cody and don't ever look back! You deserve this new start and I'm confident you will succeed at whatever you choose to do. You have more people "for" you than against you!
Get out there and be an advocate for our children!!
I think he got away with this because our laws in NM are behind the rest of the USA.If I were faced with his problems I would have moved out of my house.In other places youth gangs rulled the steets untill laws were put in treating youthfull killers the same as adults.I am for reforming our laws and Cody is my reason.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corrales Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 2 hr fmer505-1951 62,022
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 2 hr Jomar 112,824
News Critics: Trump speech signals shift to coded ra... 2 hr slick willie expl... 20
News APD: Man shot during attempted burglary, faces ... 2 hr Johnny F 1
News Albuquerque Police Union insulted over settleme... 7 hr Eee gads 5
News Police: Security Guards Making Arrests (Jan '12) 17 hr David 53
News WNMU Mariachi Ensemble Wins Awards, Readies For... 18 hr Chano 3

Corrales Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Corrales Mortgages