Albuquerque animal ordinance draws critics from surrounding towns

Sep 24, 2006 Read more: KOB 17
The HEART ordinance, which goes into effect in a few weeks, is designed to reduce the number of dogs and cats in Albuquerque animal shelters. Read more
Michael Martinez

Rio Rancho, NM

#1 Sep 30, 2006
This law is misguided at best, and fascism at worst. I hate that there are 1,000's of animals put down in Albuquerque animal shelters, but they are after all, animals. Animals do not have rights. Animal owners do have a responsibility to treat the animals which are their property humanely, but for the government to trample the rights of humans in an attempt to extend rights to animals is absurd to say the least. It's tyranny to say the most. The councilwoman who dreamed this laws up is a fruitcake and much too dangerous to be allowed to hold the reins of power. And if she's not mentally ill, she needs to be run out of town on a rail. I hope that the vast majority of pet owners will ignore this law altogether. Help control the tyrant and idiot populations; Have your local politician spayed or neutered.
Michael Martinez

Rio Rancho, NM

#2 Sep 30, 2006
I'm not in Minneapolis, MN, I'm in Albuquerque, NM.
Hoogelex

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Jul 29, 2008
I'm right with you Michael. What burns me worse about it is the fact that it's retroactive to anyone who bought a pet BEFORE the law became a ripoff. The council members who voted for this probably own the company that makes the microchip.
Twiggy

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Apr 25, 2010
animals don't have rights? what do you think people are?

“REAP HEMP AND FREE THE WORLD.”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#5 Apr 25, 2010
The link isn't easy to find on KOB.COM

What is this ordinance?

Is it good for animals or bad for them?

Someone please explain.

thanks.

Since: Apr 10

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Apr 26, 2010
The HEART ordinanace is typical "blanket" management at work. It reduces the stray dog and cat issues in Bernilillo on the back of vets and responsible pet owners. It will do nothing to the non-breaders that think owning a pet is like buying a video game and sharing it with some knuckle-headed friends for entertainment.

“REAP HEMP AND FREE THE WORLD.”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#7 Apr 26, 2010
TheSilverBullet wrote:
The HEART ordinanace is typical "blanket" management at work. It reduces the stray dog and cat issues in Bernilillo on the back of vets and responsible pet owners. It will do nothing to the non-breaders that think owning a pet is like buying a video game and sharing it with some knuckle-headed friends for entertainment.
You still haven't said what the law does.

You are being vague.

Since: Apr 10

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Apr 26, 2010
New Mexico Activist 505 wrote:
<quoted text>
You still haven't said what the law does.
You are being vague.
It's not a law,,,,, it is an ordinance. Google search what you think I "still" haven't said. I don't spoon feed adults,,,,

I also moved into Bernilillo county two years ago with my two labradors,(hunters) and ended up going to Metro Court three times, the judge dropped charges that the HEART ordinance tryed to stiff me with. In total it cost me almost $400. to license my dogs and to mention time lost from work to jump through the hoops at Metro Court.
davy

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Apr 26, 2010
I paid 15 bucks to get my dog micro-chipped.
TheSilverBullet wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not a law,,,,, it is an ordinance. Google search what you think I "still" haven't said. I don't spoon feed adults,,,,
I also moved into Bernilillo county two years ago with my two labradors,(hunters) and ended up going to Metro Court three times, the judge dropped charges that the HEART ordinance tryed to stiff me with. In total it cost me almost $400. to license my dogs and to mention time lost from work to jump through the hoops at Metro Court.
davy

Albuquerque, NM

#10 Apr 26, 2010
Fascism and tyranny? So you are saying this law reminds you of Hitler gassing Jews. Maybe you think of Stalin and the purges where he killed millions. Get a grip. Hyperbole much?
Michael Martinez wrote:
This law is misguided at best, and fascism at worst. I hate that there are 1,000's of animals put down in Albuquerque animal shelters, but they are after all, animals. Animals do not have rights. Animal owners do have a responsibility to treat the animals which are their property humanely, but for the government to trample the rights of humans in an attempt to extend rights to animals is absurd to say the least. It's tyranny to say the most. The councilwoman who dreamed this laws up is a fruitcake and much too dangerous to be allowed to hold the reins of power. And if she's not mentally ill, she needs to be run out of town on a rail. I hope that the vast majority of pet owners will ignore this law altogether. Help control the tyrant and idiot populations; Have your local politician spayed or neutered.

Since: Apr 10

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Apr 27, 2010
davy wrote:
I paid 15 bucks to get my dog micro-chipped. <quoted text>
The microchip is not associated with annual registration that is required. Not to mension the OVER immunizations that is required/forced on the pet and their owners. This is how stupid the entire process is.

I lived in southwestern New Mexico, Grant county for close to twenty years. At the time I moved to Albuquerque two years ago my dogs (pedigreed, stud males, trained hunting dogs) were registered with Grant county and their own set of rules and regulations. I had to immunize the dogs every four years and had just completed the shots. The HEART then required that I immunize the dogs AGAIN the next year here in Albuquerque. My complaints feel on deaf ears (of cource) but I had refused to toxicate the dogs. The HEART policy is to over immunize dogs, it does not require any type of management and is a warehouse technique for everyone. When I had asked about the fact of immunizing the dogs the year prior the animal control folks said that they have no system currently set up even in New Mexico for cross reference as to the shots.
Dr SKC

AOL

#12 Apr 27, 2010
Michael Martinez wrote:
This law is misguided at best, and fascism at worst. I hate that there are 1,000's of animals put down in Albuquerque animal shelters, but they are after all, animals. Animals do not have rights. Animal owners do have a responsibility to treat the animals which are their property humanely, but for the government to trample the rights of humans in an attempt to extend rights to animals is absurd to say the least. It's tyranny to say the most. The councilwoman who dreamed this laws up is a fruitcake and much too dangerous to be allowed to hold the reins of power. And if she's not mentally ill, she needs to be run out of town on a rail. I hope that the vast majority of pet owners will ignore this law altogether. Help control the tyrant and idiot populations; Have your local politician spayed or neutered.
That is Sally Mayer, former Councilwoman. Remember when she said she was stepping down as councilwoman to spend time with her family in Chicago? Well, it turns up, she was recently mentioned as having a new City job at over $42,000 a year. No mention of what happened to her family in Chicago.
are you nuckin futs

United States

#13 Apr 28, 2010
Twiggy wrote:
animals don't have rights? what do you think people are?
I work at a "kill" shelter and I have th HUMANLEY euthanize animals on a daily basis....ANIMAL DO HAVE RIGHTS, hell for that matter Illegel immigrants have more rights than our "furry Population". When you can honestly say that you have lookes into the eyes of a cat or dog that trust you with thier life just as you puse the last bit of soloution into the vein and you see all of its hurt, sorrow, pain, abuse and neglect leave its eyes. NO NONE on GODS green earth can tell ME that dogs/csats have no rights you are full of CRAP and in my eyes YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS!!!!!!!

Since: Apr 10

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Apr 28, 2010
are you nuckin futs wrote:
<quoted text>
I work at a "kill" shelter and I have th HUMANLEY euthanize animals on a daily basis....ANIMAL DO HAVE RIGHTS, hell for that matter Illegel immigrants have more rights than our "furry Population". When you can honestly say that you have lookes into the eyes of a cat or dog that trust you with thier life just as you puse the last bit of soloution into the vein and you see all of its hurt, sorrow, pain, abuse and neglect leave its eyes. NO NONE on GODS green earth can tell ME that dogs/csats have no rights you are full of CRAP and in my eyes YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS!!!!!!!
Great post, agree!

“REAP HEMP AND FREE THE WORLD.”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#15 Apr 28, 2010
now I know. i refuse to chip my animals.

and the city can take their 'fines and fees' and shove them up where the sun don't shine, LOL.
serious post

United States

#16 Apr 29, 2010
TheSilverBullet wrote:
<quoted text>
Great post, agree!
Thanks sometimes it takes the "ugly truth"

“Get Drunk; Find a Gun.”

Since: Oct 08

Pripyat, Ukraine

#17 Apr 29, 2010

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corrales Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Alamogordo Police Department receives body cameras 10 min ManiacMartin 26
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 17 min Katia 57,244
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 32 min tuna fish 107,943
Busy Bee Landscaping-Michael Turner 55 min Older and wiser 1
4/20 smoke out at roosevelt park (Apr '10) 4 hr otherpeepshell 130
"The Taser" - a poem by Albuquerque Polic... 10 hr Dummodo Non Nomin... 1
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) 18 hr justice is just a... 6,330
More from around the web

Corrales People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]