Bloomfield decides against Lodgers Tax

Full story: Farmington Daily Times

SANTA FE University research parks would lose 8 percent of the money they make from product royalties under a bill that cleared a committee Monday.
Comments
1 - 18 of 18 Comments Last updated Feb 16, 2011
HED Insider

Santa Fe, NM

#1 Feb 15, 2011
Remember the UNM Football coach with one win earning over $800,000 in annual salary; or nineteen UNM admin staff earning $4.5 million combined salaries; or the new UNM football stadium or the revamped UNM Pit. Remember funding comes from one pot and whoever has the most clout, receives more from the pot. Who is left out? The university students, professors in the classroom, maintenance, and support group that makes university education possible. Something is certainly wrong here, and the upper echelon of our state universities are getting rich off the backs of poor university students. Then the minds of them, they increased their tuition.
just wonderin

Rio Rancho, NM

#2 Feb 15, 2011
I would like to know if the City ever followed up with any changes to their city ordinance that doesn't allow for employees to hold elected office. Two of the City Council are employees of the fire department. Are they sweeping this under the rug and hoping that no one will remember?
Just sayin

United States

#3 Feb 15, 2011
just wonderin wrote:
I would like to know if the City ever followed up with any changes to their city ordinance that doesn't allow for employees to hold elected office. Two of the City Council are employees of the fire department. Are they sweeping this under the rug and hoping that no one will remember?
They are not employees, they are volunteers
just wonderin

Rio Rancho, NM

#4 Feb 15, 2011
They are volunteers but they receive a W-2 which according to the IRS code they are considered employees. No other department in the city has an employee representing them like the Fire Department does. It is a conflict of interest for them to vote on issues that are fire department releated. I appreciate the volunteers and the sacrifice they make but it still doesn't make it right for them to be on the city council.
Just sayin

United States

#5 Feb 15, 2011
It was no secret when they ran for office that they both were fire fighters that received a stipened for their time. Both were voted for on that premise.
just wonderin

Rio Rancho, NM

#6 Feb 15, 2011
Most of their votes came from fire fighters. Doesn't matter how they ran or how it was perceived, they are still considered employees according to the article that ran in the Daily Times last year.
Just sayin

United States

#7 Feb 15, 2011
The article wasnt correct on all statements hence the correction that was so small and hidden. Both Lucero and Lynch didnt make more than the amount allowed by the feds.
Just sayin

United States

#8 Feb 15, 2011
just wonderin wrote:
Most of their votes came from fire fighters. Doesn't matter how they ran or how it was perceived, they are still considered employees according to the article that ran in the Daily Times last year.
They only have maybe 40 firefighters, 450 + votes for Lucero???? 200 + votes for Lynch
Just wonderin

Rio Rancho, NM

#9 Feb 16, 2011
That was for the violation of the Fair Labor law, and you are right they didn't make too much but the other issue is that the city has an ordinance that says employees cannot hold public office. Firefighters are employees because an employee relationship is created due to the wage they receive for their training, responding to fires etc. They receive a W-2 just like all of the other employees in the city. Lucero's blatant drive to add more fire staff belies his true reason for being on the council. This is creates a conflict of interest that would be corrected if fire fighters followed the city ordinance and do not run for public office. City officials and the legal department need to step up and decide whether or not this ordinance includes the firefighters.
Just sayin

United States

#10 Feb 16, 2011
They have decided, hence the reason they are still there. Im sure they receive a w2 for being on the council. I remember Lucero's blatant drive in his campaign to see more fire fighters added. Don't see that as a secret.
Just wonderin

Rio Rancho, NM

#11 Feb 16, 2011
Just sayin wrote:
They have decided, hence the reason they are still there. Im sure they receive a w2 for being on the council. I remember Lucero's blatant drive in his campaign to see more fire fighters added. Don't see that as a secret.
There has been no report that this has been decided or discussed with the council. I also remember Lucero telling others prior to the campaign that he wasn't running on that issue but as soon as he was elected it came out. Besides, the department doesn't answer enough calls in a month to warrant the additional staff. The numbers that they report have not been accurate and are over stated.
Just sayin

United States

#12 Feb 16, 2011
I heard him publicly state a need for more paid staff during the election
Just wonderin

Rio Rancho, NM

#13 Feb 16, 2011
Just sayin wrote:
I heard him publicly state a need for more paid staff during the election
That may be so, but to myself and others he said that he wasn't advocating for that. Still it doesn't change the fact that he shouldn't be on the Council because he is an employee of the city or he should resign from the department.
WOW

United States

#14 Feb 16, 2011
Just wonderin wrote:
<quoted text>
That may be so, but to myself and others he said that he wasn't advocating for that. Still it doesn't change the fact that he shouldn't be on the Council because he is an employee of the city or he should resign from the department.
Would you two take your cat fight some place else...I think this thread was about the lodgers tax and not you two trying to prove the other wrong about pat L.
Curious

Farmington, NM

#15 Feb 16, 2011
Just sayin wrote:
Just curious as to what was decided? If B-Town has an ordinance saying employees can't hold elected office, how are they still there? They receive wages(earnings) not stipends(expense reimbursements)so they are employees. Seems like a CLEAR violation of B-Town's ordinance.
laughable

Grand Junction, CO

#16 Feb 16, 2011
Just sayin wrote:
And who decided? The two "vulunteers and I use that term loosley" that are on the council? And I'm guessing that "Just sayin" is Mr. Lucero. Just sayin.
patlucero

Tempe, AZ

#17 Feb 16, 2011
Thanks to just sayin' for your kind words, if just wonderin or curious Or even laughable would like to speak with me regardih this issue, I would enjoy talking with you. 3203307
Gotta say

United States

#18 Feb 16, 2011
At least Pat manned up and gave u guys his number. He's not hiding behind the computer and talking trash. Good for you Pat (and I have NO intrest in the issue so no need to start trashing me)Now...back to the lodgers tax if anyone wants to comment.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corrales Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
West Mesa families hope psychic will help solve... (Aug '09) 6 hr carri 89
bodies on the mesa 13 hr LuzAranda 5
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 15 hr Locusts 106,040
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 15 hr Mister Chix 55,116
Republicans reach out (Feb '14) Mon IntheNO 69
Ruidoso's summer rains fall short Sat Sad 5
Former police officer appeals termination Aug 30 No clue 50
•••
•••

Corrales Jobs