State: 7 in 10 NM births paid for by Medicaid

Jan 27, 2013 Full story: Alamogordo Daily News 22

The study by the state Legislative Finance Committee showed 71 percent of the nearly 27,800 babies born in the state during 2010 were paid for by the state and federally funded health insurance program for the poor, The Albuquerque Journal reported .

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Russ

United States

#1 Jan 27, 2013
Jobs open
Native American

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Jan 27, 2013
Can our society survive with 70% of families unable to afford something as simple as childbirth.

“More Brains Than .....”

Since: Sep 11

..a Zombie Thanksgiving

#3 Jan 27, 2013
The article also states:Some advocates note that the cost of insuring pregnant women and children is much lower than the cost of older participants. Elderly New Mexicans, who comprise fewer than 8 percent of Medicaid enrollees this year, account for 24 percent of state Medicaid costs, the legislative report said.

Long-term care for the elderly will cost Medicaid a projected $989 million this year, up $191 million since 2010, and the average cost to Medicaid for long-term care for an elderly client is $21,468 this year, the report said.

By comparison, the cost of providing health care to children, pregnant mothers and other "physical health clients" averaged $3,156 this year, the report said.

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#4 Jan 28, 2013
Phil the Grillmaster wrote:
The article also states:Some advocates note that the cost of insuring pregnant women and children is much lower than the cost of older participants. Elderly New Mexicans, who comprise fewer than 8 percent of Medicaid enrollees this year, account for 24 percent of state Medicaid costs, the legislative report said.
Long-term care for the elderly will cost Medicaid a projected $989 million this year, up $191 million since 2010, and the average cost to Medicaid for long-term care for an elderly client is $21,468 this year, the report said.
By comparison, the cost of providing health care to children, pregnant mothers and other "physical health clients" averaged $3,156 this year, the report said.
And your point is?

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#5 Jan 29, 2013
Native American wrote:
Can our society survive with 70% of families unable to afford something as simple as childbirth.
The cost of childbirth? How about the cost to raise a child to "adulthood"! Chances are extremely good that almost every one of those 70% have, are and will continue to receive public assistance for themselves and each and every child they produce. Food stamps (I think it's called something else now), SS Suplimental income, Section 8, daycare, continued medicaid, and, now, some stupid free cell phone crap! Why on earth do people continue to have children that they know full well they cannot afford? Oh, I know, because they don't give a crap and the government will pay their bills!

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#6 Jan 29, 2013
Just left of right wrote:
<quoted text>
The cost of childbirth? How about the cost to raise a child to "adulthood"! Chances are extremely good that almost every one of those 70% have, are and will continue to receive public assistance for themselves and each and every child they produce. Food stamps (I think it's called something else now), SS Suplimental income, Section 8, daycare, continued medicaid, and, now, some stupid free cell phone crap! Why on earth do people continue to have children that they know full well they cannot afford? Oh, I know, because they don't give a crap and the government will pay their bills!
Excellent post, and spot on!! One thing those in NM know how to do is procreate! New Democrats gotta come from some place<VBG>.

Location hidden

#7 Jan 29, 2013
Oh, and the cost of the birth of my daughter was almost $11k, but it was a complicated pregnancy. Let's say $8k per pregnancy multiplied by the 70%. That's almost 156 million in one year! What is the total population of New Mexico? What is the percentage of that population that pay NM state tax? Just disgusting!

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#8 Jan 29, 2013
Oh, and the cost of the birth of my daughter was almost $11k, but it was a complicated pregnancy. Let's say $8k per pregnancy multiplied by the 70%. That's almost 156 million in one year! What is the total population of New Mexico? What is the percentage of that population that pay NM state tax? Just disgusting!
Another spot on post. When our oldest was born (military hosp) it cost me $7.35, less than a new fishing reel. When the youngest was born it was a WHOLE lot more than that!

Maybe Obamacare got one right, pay for their freaking BC pills and hopefully reduce overall taxpayer costs for births<sigh>.

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#9 Jan 29, 2013
<quoted text>
More freebies..... Sad

Location hidden

#10 Jan 29, 2013
CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
Another spot on post. When our oldest was born (military hosp) it cost me $7.35, less than a new fishing reel. When the youngest was born it was a WHOLE lot more than that!
Maybe Obamacare got one right, pay for their freaking BC pills and hopefully reduce overall taxpayer costs for births<sigh>.
Ohhhhhh yeah! Definately agree!

Location hidden

#11 Jan 29, 2013
XENA 54 wrote:
<quoted text>
More freebies..... Sad
Very! I've got a bazillion things to do tomorrow but I'm going to try (to remember lol) to call you tomorrow. I hope you are starting to feel better!
bob

Carlsbad, NM

#12 Jan 30, 2013
Native American wrote:
birthing them is just the start. then there's perpetual medical care, housing assistance, wic, welfare, pre-kindergarten( need a sitter after entertaining thugs all night),counseling, kindergarten, counseling, school, counseling, alternative school, counseling,juvie, counseling, prison, counseling, rehab, counseling, more prison, more counseling. by then they'll have a bunch a little cockroaches scattered all over to start the cycle again.
Parasites

Burlingame, CA

#13 Jan 30, 2013
Native American wrote:
Will the native american parasites ever be able to support themselves without non-native taxpayer money?????
Parasites

Burlingame, CA

#14 Jan 30, 2013
Native American wrote:
Will the native american PARASITES ever be able to support themselves without non-native tax dollars??????

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#15 Jan 30, 2013
More Californication postings above.
parasites

Phoenix, AZ

#16 Jan 30, 2013
CornDogz wrote:
More Californication postings above.
You should know!
speaking

Albuquerque, NM

#17 Jan 30, 2013
parasites wrote:
<quoted text>
You should know!
of parasites, how timely is your post.
RaiseWages Now

Los Alamos, NM

#18 Jan 30, 2013
<quoted text>
If you have read the reports showing who these peopel are, roughly half of them are illegal aliens, married i na catholic church but not under state law, and we are paying for their children here. Also, almost ALL of them are Catholic, and spanish, with some whites, but the biggest demographic is catholic.

The church is subtly encrouaging it, to have their children paid for by insurance.
RaiseWages Now

Los Alamos, NM

#19 Jan 30, 2013
Parasites wrote:
<quoted text>
Will the native american PARASITES ever be able to support themselves without non-native tax dollars??????
They doing jsut fine before we massacred, raped ,and then depostited them on reservatiosn to ofar from civilization to earn a wage. Then ,the BIA stopped them fro mmoving in an industry, which is really why it was created, to help keep them enslaved. Each time they get money, they hire anyone who will work, and the biz work out just fine, thank you.

That's better than the Irish, they needed a free ride to work.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#20 Jan 31, 2013
RaiseWages Now wrote:
<quoted text>
If you have read the reports showing who these peopel are, roughly half of them are illegal aliens, married i na catholic church but not under state law, and we are paying for their children here. Also, almost ALL of them are Catholic, and spanish, with some whites, but the biggest demographic is catholic.
The church is subtly encrouaging it, to have their children paid for by insurance.
The predominant religion in NM is Catholic so that doesn't hold much water. Kinda like saying numbers of Hispanic criminals in NM is disproportionate, when the predominant ethnic background here is Hispanic.

But on matters of birth control, you do make a good point.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corrales Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ABQ companies lighting up T or C with 6,100 sol... 4 hr been_scammed 4
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 8 hr Rattlesnakes 56,023
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 8 hr Mister Chix 106,850
Review of the Burger King Yumbo 9 hr LeafBoy 3
why i vote Democrat 11 hr again and again 18
New Mexico Airlines cancels all flights until f... Tue ha 13
Family: Missing woman trying to hitchhike to Th... Tue Josie Spencer Coc... 1
Corrales Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web