Former coach cleared of rape charge

Former coach cleared of rape charge

There are 34 comments on the KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico story from May 8, 2008, titled Former coach cleared of rape charge. In it, KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico reports that:

The former Cibola High School wrestling coach accused of rape a year ago by a 16-year-old student has been cleared of the charge.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Judgy not lest ye be judgied!”

Since: Feb 08

Farmington, NM

#1 May 8, 2008
If APS acted according to their policies and procedures on such matters, I don't see how he has a case against them.
mad

Rio Rancho, NM

#2 May 8, 2008
Sue them....they runied his life for 14 months.
dave

Albuquerque, NM

#3 May 8, 2008
" innocent till proven guilty " ring a bell ???
Missy

Albuquerque, NM

#4 May 8, 2008
He could have a case against APS. The law states we are considered innocent until proven guilty.

APS did the right thing by removing him from contact with students because of those allegations (even if they 100% suspected were untrue, to protect themselves and students, this has to be done.)

However, since he had not been proven guilty and/or there was no real evidence to start with - he should have been assigned an administrative job (there are plenty) at the same pay.

I suspect this girl had a crush on him and was "rejected" when he did not "pay attention" to her. Without knowing other details, that would be my gut feeling.

I suggest that he go ahead with his lawsuit against APS - if only to have those allegations removed from his record, seniority reinstated, pay levels reinstated to what they would have been. I don't know that I'd be interested in working for APS after this, if I were him, but he should at least do all he can to clear his record and reinstate himself to where he would have been sans this situation.

He should also consider a lawsuit against the girl and her parents. Even if he does not win a large sum of money, he could win on principle by having that on record and perhaps forcing her to get some counseling that I think could be crucial. If she made false accusations and got away with it, perhaps next time, she won't and an innocent man could spend some years behind bars and forever labeled a "sex offender" and that can ruin a life.

I'm a woman and I've heard some women talk about how they're "gonna get" some guy by saying things like that. It's cruel. It also makes it that much harder for the women who ARE raped or abused to file claims.

This girl and her parents (sorry, parents, you're responsible for her until she's of age) should face the consequences of her accusations and the damage she did to this man's career and life. This sort of thing ruins careers, marriages, relationships, and lives.

Let's hear it from the rest of you guys. I know everything, of course, lol.
Ivan Sanchez

AOL

#5 May 8, 2008
Michael Barreras’s reputation has been ruin not only by false accusations but by the media who has already judged and condemn him! Today we live in a society that does not care for other people. The media is the worse of them all and they’re in it for the bucks at the expense of innocent people!
I hope he sues not only the family and school but also the media for passing rash judgment; free press doesn’t give them the rights to destroy lives! Michael will never be the same! Go for it Michael and hire the best lawyer you can find and sue the living day lights out of those nincompoops!
Mike P

Gulfport, MS

#6 May 8, 2008
Why wasn't the girl charged with submitting false police reports, she needs to do some jail time so teenagers will realize making these types of false allegations is a crime. The judge who hears this case should do the maximum punishment. I hope Barreras does file a lawsuit against both and wins big time
cstoper
#7 May 8, 2008
This child should be punished for lying and causing this man to loose his job, his respect from the community, loss of respect from his co-workers, loss of respect from his employer, not to mention the students and the community! Shame on this child - SHAME on this childs parents to allow her to tell lies. I'm sure this is NOT the first lie she has told - but IF I'm on the jury when he sues her I WILL make sure she pays heavily so she WON'T lie again and she will understand that HE is the victim AND LYING IS WRONG! SHAME on her - what kind of horrible disgusting person tries to RUIN someone's life JUST because they made a DECISION to NOT do something that they had volunteered to do to begin with! HER parents need to teach their daughter to take responsiblity for her disgusting actions! She (NOT HER PARENTS) need to pay this coach for ALL of his losses wages included - we should garnish all future earnings until he is paid in full and she should be forced to work at a rape crisis center so she FULLY understands what it truly means to be raped - ITS NOT A JOKE OR A WAY OUT OF OUR RESPONSIBILIES! What a slap in the face to all of US rape survivors! SHE SHOULD BE ASHAMED but I guarantee she finds this all terribly funny! What a disgusting horrible selfish self-centered LYING scumbag YOU deserve to be punished and should be to the fullest extent of the law! YOU Need to understand how it feels to ruin someone's life by having your future halted until you accept and pay for the actions and decisions YOU and YOU alone chose to make! Bad or good YOU chose that direction NOW step up and accept responsiblity and do whatever it takes to try and make this situation better!
GUTCH

Scottsdale, AZ

#8 May 8, 2008
I hope APS charges the 16 year old, and she gets jail time. This girl is mean and should be punished and jailed for a LONG time.
JJJ

Atlanta, GA

#10 May 8, 2008
If there was no evidence other than an accusation, then I hope that APS pays severely. Students can just say anything and ruin teachers lives. It's too bad. I just hope this guy really didn't do anything.
Free Grey

Atlanta, GA

#11 May 8, 2008
You will find the Estancia coach in this same situation in a few years - still screwed because you are NOT innocent until proven guilty in these cases. Only until an APS or somebody pays BIG for this wrongdoing will coaches be on the chopping block for any phony claim that comes along. Cibola coach - TAKE APS DOWN, we'll send our kids to private schools
Jack

Albuquerque, NM

#12 May 8, 2008
Innocent until proven guilty. I hope he gets millions!
Michael Barreras

San Francisco, CA

#13 May 9, 2008
I do plan on sueing APS!!! They had no evidence what so ever!!!! They better compensate me for ruing mt life and reputation!!!!!Anyone know a good lawyer?????

“Not a fan of big government”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#14 May 9, 2008
Hey Michael.
I used to teach H.S.
I was always afraid of someone falsely accusing me for revenge. It seems all they have to do is accuse you and your life is ruinned. My heart goes out to you. I will not work with crazy teens because they do have that power. Just one sentence from their mouth and your life is ruined. This needs to change.

You must sue, to prevent it from happening to other people. set an example of what can happen if you falsely accuse a teacher.

I don't know a good lawyer, hope I never have to.
Shawn

Albuquerque, NM

#15 May 9, 2008
EXACTLY your life is ruined because no matter where you go those charges will come up on your background check and most likely you will never be hired at a school again because of it and Yet that girl is not going to get nothing done to her for falsifying a police report, welcome to ABQ’s train wrecked justice system!!
mpks

Phoenix, AZ

#16 May 9, 2008
when this story first broke everyone and i mean everyone convicted him the media, aps, the pulic guilty as charged.we know now.he should sue. this stigma will follow this man for the rest of his life.
Michael Barreras

San Francisco, CA

#17 May 9, 2008
Thank you to everyone who is commenting!!! I am going to sue APS....How could they fire me/put me on unpaid administrative leave for strictly allegations and never was charged with anything.....The girl said I raped her in my office during school hours. Left my classroom unattended...How bogus of a story is that???? APS screwed up........THEY WILL PAY!!

“Not a fan of big government”

Location hidden

#18 May 9, 2008
Michael Barreras wrote:
Thank you to everyone who is commenting!!! I am going to sue APS....How could they fire me/put me on unpaid administrative leave for strictly allegations and never was charged with anything.....The girl said I raped her in my office during school hours. Left my classroom unattended...How bogus of a story is that???? APS screwed up........THEY WILL PAY!!
Yeah, once the story breaks, every body assumes your guilty.

I'm behind you buddy.
Sue them.

Montgomery, AL

#19 May 9, 2008
dave wrote:
" innocent till proven guilty " ring a bell ???
True, but in cases like this, I'd prefer the guy not be around my kids until it's proven he's innocent. At least put him on paid leave and have a quick investigation, so if the allegations are false, he's not that ruined.

Montgomery, AL

#20 May 9, 2008
Of course, I could also instruct my kids to never be alone with him in the first place until it's proven whether he's guilty or not. But that wouldn't involve the school.
Jim E

Mcnary, AZ

#21 May 9, 2008
Michael Barreras wrote:
I would sue them for every dime, and sue the punk kid and her family for false allegations.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corrales Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Some Moriarty firework stands openly sell illeg... 6 hr DAC 2
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 7 hr Mister Chix 61,838
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 8 hr new parrot 112,605
News King Brothers' Alamo Ranch in New Mexico sells 9 hr Nancy O 8
Will the Cankle Queen be Our New Imperator? 9 hr barnyard 37
4 Muslim Boys Rape Little Girl in Twin Falls Idaho 9 hr barnyard 53
News Former President Clinton to campaign for Hillar... 11 hr Its you not them 145

Corrales Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Corrales Mortgages