Ship ahoy salad dressing
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rosco

United States

#1 Mar 7, 2011
The dressing served on lettuce wedge. Please someone must know the recipe.
tickledpink

Lakeland, FL

#2 Mar 7, 2011
Rosco wrote:
Isn't it Walnut Dressing ? That's what I was told it was.
Cguest

Aubrey, TX

#3 Apr 22, 2011
No recipe but it was pretty darn good
Lakeview

Corpus Christi, TX

#4 Aug 14, 2011
The Walnut dressing is at WaterStreet Oyster Bar & is great. This is the receipe for the salad dressing at Ship Ahoy:

ingredients

1 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
1/4 cup bottled chili sauce
2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
2 tablespoons finely chopped green or red sweet pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce or prepared horseradish
Milk (optional)

directions

1.In a small bowl combine mayonnaise and chili sauce. Stir in relish, sweet pepper onion, and 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce or horseradish.
2.Serve immediately or cover and store in refrigerator for up to 1 week. Before serving, if necessary, stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons milk until dressing reaches desired consistency.
3.Makes 1-1/2 cups
Pat

United States

#5 Mar 9, 2012
Wow! I was looking for this. Thanks so much. Now I need to find the recipe for the sour cream and chive baked potato topping from The Astor. Does anyone have that one. Bear in mind I'm thinking of the one from the '70's & '80's. I moved away in the late '80's so they not be making their own today.
Pam C

Flower Mound, TX

#6 Mar 15, 2012
Hi,
I am looking for Ship Ahoy's tartar sauce receipe. I moved away to the Dallas area 32 years ago and still long for their tartar sauce. If anyone has the recipe, please post it.

Thanks
Tommye Meyer

San Antonio, TX

#7 Apr 23, 2012
Pam C wrote:
Hi,
I am looking for Ship Ahoy's tartar sauce receipe. I moved away to the Dallas area 32 years ago and still long for their tartar sauce. If anyone has the recipe, please post it.
Thanks
Hi Pam, I just found a cookbook in a used book store in Kerrville this w/e. Would you believe that it had a small cookbook from seafood restaurants in TX so here it is from the Ship Ahoy!

Tartar Sauce
1 qt mayonnaise
10 oz dill relish
1/2 chopped med. onion
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp dry mustard
Combine the mayo , dill relish that has been drained dry and onion that has been chopped as fine as you prefer. Add the lemon juice and dry mustard and mix well. Store in frig. Makes about 1 quart.
NOTE: for this recipe you can use your choice of brand-name mayo but the restaurant makes its own mayo base for all dressings, using no preservative.
James

Richardson, TX

#8 Jul 31, 2012
Hi Pam,
My family has been searching and attempting the Ship Ahoy remoulade sauce for years and years. I have seen the recipe posted above before and tried it. I did not find it to be very close to the taste I remember. One thing that is correct is that they used a homemade mayonnaise and it gives a richness that is spot on. Remove the Dill Relish and substitute some finely chopped parsley and a grated hard boiled egg yolk. If you do not have time for homemade mayo, use Hellman's and let it set overnight in the fridge before you try it. Play around with those ingredients and let me know what you think.
Libby Bernard

Menlo Park, CA

#9 Jun 23, 2013
Thanks to all the above for your recipes. Anyone know the secrets to those glorious fried shrimp?? It's been 46 years and I still crave them.
Guy Broughton

Chiang Mai, Thailand

#10 Jul 14, 2013
Libby,
I am from Sinton, have lived in Thailand for 30 years. I was just telling my Thai wife about the fried shrimp at Ship Ahoy, how its the best I have ever had and also the delicious salad dressing. That restaurant meant so much to so many people. I have lived all over the world and hands down, Ship Ahoy had the best tasting fried ship I have ever had. Still today, from time to time, I think about and start craving their fried shrimp. Decided to look on the net for it and found this site.
If anyone can find the receipe, please post it.
Robin Maroney

Irving, TX

#11 Nov 4, 2013
Reading these post re Ship Ahoy's big fried shrimp and the delicious salad dressing (always thought is was a homemade Thousand Island)has filled me with a longing and nostalgia for those Sundays after church where my family dined every other Sunday. Underwood's Bar B-que and the Mexitira where also childhood favorites.
ncbronte

Thomasville, NC

#12 Dec 14, 2013
tickledpink wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't it Walnut Dressing ? That's what I was told it was.
No, it was the "house dressing"... often referred to as Thousand Island.
krkelly

Weatherford, TX

#13 Mar 4, 2014
The secret to the fried shrimp is sugar in the egg wash that the shrimp are dipped in before the breading which was made from the left over bread which was purhased from a local bakery.
R Robertson

Corpus Christi, TX

#14 Mar 10, 2014
A waitress at ship Ahoytold me the base for the house dressing was carrots .
Libby Bernard

San Francisco, CA

#15 Mar 25, 2014
krkelly wrote:
The secret to the fried shrimp is sugar in the egg wash that the shrimp are dipped in before the breading which was made from the left over bread which was purhased from a local bakery.
I have tried the egg and sugar wash twice since I saw your post. They were really good...not quite Ship Ahoys but good. I'll have to try the bread crumbs. I've been using flour with panco and a little corn meal.
Phil

Richmond, TX

#16 Jan 4, 2015
Robin Maroney wrote:
Reading these post re Ship Ahoy's big fried shrimp and the delicious salad dressing (always thought is was a homemade Thousand Island)has filled me with a longing and nostalgia for those Sundays after church where my family dined every other Sunday. Underwood's Bar B-que and the Mexitira where also childhood favorites.
Close as you'll come to MexiTeria is Patio Cafe on Pat Booker Rd. The original owners were remnants of the MexiTeria Family.
Libby Bernard

Oakland, CA

#17 Jan 4, 2015
I wonder if there was some type of Tex-Mex seasoning in the shrimp batter. I've been using the sugar in egg wash as mentioned before. Also use baking powder in flour coating. Stii have a ways to go. I wish the family would "donate" the recipe to the fans who loved them.
Stephanie

Independence, KS

#18 Aug 4, 2016
Rosco wrote:
I asked them if they'd give me the recipe back when they were still in business. They laughed and said - sure - it's simply Thousand Island dressing with horseradish sauce. I use about a TBSP horseradish sauce to a cup of Thousand Island. You're welcome!
Libby Bernard

Orinda, CA

#20 Aug 4, 2016
Rosco wrote:
There's a recipe from a few years ago that's close. A glorified Thousand Island. One of the hints I have decided upon: Best Foods or Hellmans Real Mayonaise. Don't use low fat or light.
I'm still trying to duplicate the shrimp.
Libby Bernard

Orinda, CA

#21 Aug 5, 2016
Rosco wrote:
The recipe is very similar to one listed a few years ago on this blog. I find using Hellmans or Best Foods Real mayo helps. No low fat or light.
Still trying to duplicate the fried shrimp.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corpus Christi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Monica Stephanie Flores 50 min MONICA STEPHANIE ... 1
Cheapest Dental Care? 51 min Blane 1
Shemale Roxanne (May '16) 57 min Jay 13
The Megaplex (Oct '12) 1 hr Larry 6,636
rosie soliz-white lifted "stx ford" w/turquoise... 6 hr Big D 4
I love you 7 hr Ok ghuib 1
Baby lin 8 hr Ok ghuib 5

Corpus Christi Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance