Is Corpus Christi, El Paso on the water?

Is Corpus Christi, El Paso on the water?

Posted in the Corpus Christi Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Muhnay

El Paso, TX

#1 Jan 29, 2009
I have been told that Corpus is just like EL Paso TX, but on the gulf coast. Is this true?

I find El Paso to be lacking in many areas, also in El Paso it is required to speak spanish to work here. People think 8 dollars an hour here is great pay. Does this sound like Corpus? I have heard people say Corpus is a trap, you cant escape.. El Paso has the same stigma. I was thinking of moving to Corpus, but if its just like El Paso.. I think I may pass.
Seaweed

Kansas City, MO

#2 Jan 29, 2009
Yes to all the above,, and i'm a lifer

Since: Jun 08

El Paso

#3 Jan 29, 2009
Seaweed what do you think of Rockport?
Seaweed

Kansas City, MO

#4 Jan 29, 2009
I lived there 20 years coming from my orig home of Port Aransas.... Rockport is ok if you have ALOT of money otherwise you'll be relegated to a neighborhood/trailer park you probably dont belong in or if you are old , it is a winter Texan paradise,, it is basicly one large nursing home with a legendarily corrupt law enforcement system....
I'dtake Aransas Pass/Ingeside on the bay anyday over Rockport ,,,,, something i never dreamed Id say

Since: Jan 09

Corpus Christi, TX

#5 Feb 1, 2009
Muhnay,

I think Corpus has its good and bad points...just like any other city. It definitely has diverse culture. The American Bank Center is doing great to try to get good entertainment down here...before them it was just some small auditoriums.

Corpus has the beach, great food, entertainment- you can find interesting things to do if you know where to look. Depending on your price range for housing, there are some great choices right now.

I hear Rockport is going from a fishing community to totally tourist and winter retired Texan...

And Aransass Pass is more expensive than Corpus, but if you have the money, it may be a better choice. There may be some really good buys in Ingleside since the base is closing and so many are moving away...

I am a realtor in Corpus and the surrounding areas, so I tend to know about the real estate part.
Dharma

AOL

#6 Feb 1, 2009
Corpus is awful!!! What does it tell you when the "biggest" news stories are that the carosel is being removed from an outdated mall (2 good stores in the whole thing - Macy's and Dillards) and the nightly barrage of one hispanic gang banger killing another. My suggestion is don't even consider it unless you want to be in the new northern Mexico located in the Texas coastal bend. If you're already here, I say face north and run like hell! Thank god I don't live in that over taxed stink hole. People north of the San Antonio river commonly refer to Corpus Christi as Corpus Crappy or "the dump of the end of 37 south". Disregard any "tourist info" you see - after almost 35 years we still haven't found the beautiful CLEAN beaches they picture or the wonderful shopping they claim. Oh, but they do have a poor education system, a high crime rate (especially for a city of its size) and an extremely high teen pregnancy rate. Now that you look at it all, guess they would have to falsely advertise CC!!!!!!

El Paso

#7 Feb 1, 2009
Whoa Dharma, you would think Corpus stole your spouce, killed your dog and spit in your cosmic soup. Its not so bad...

I have been to Corpus many times, I am not fooled by the hype. I am also not fooled by the hate. I found clean beaches every summer I have come down, when they screen the beach and remove the seaweed. The Malls, yeah I agree.. shameful. The one is dark and empty, why it is even still open I have no idea. The Other was slated for a face lift, I hope thats going on still.. too bad about the Merry Go Round they had in it.. I kinda dug that... gave that costal feel to the mall. And if that is the biggest story, thats good news.. because most places like El Paso TX, are all about the kid napping, murders, and violence in Juarez, and southside El Paso. Gang Violence is every where.. we have it here too. As long as they continue to kill one another and leave kids and people not in the gangs alone, I dont care let the punks off one another... they are saving us the trouble. Oh if you think Corpus is Mexico, dont Move to El Paso. You have to speak Spanish to get most jobs here now, and the place is over 80% Hispanic with less that 40% Caucasian, and we dont have the nice views of the Gulf of Mexico here, just desert.

I think you need to get a city council who will attract more business to the area, and you need to also build up the tourist business. Or start to tear down empty strip malls and other delapitated buildings to clean up the city. Or both.

Instead of being nasty and hate filled, lets try to be honest and clear. When people post like you did above, it tends to get ignored, because you can see the person has issues and they are not objective. But thanks for the warnings.

The same can be said for Real estate brokers.. they are in for the money.. They tend to lean on the positive side of things and thats great. They see good in everything and thats respectible.

Either way, Corpus is far better than El Paso in many ways, and maybe being somewhat like El Paso is a good thing... It will be familare.
Dutchess

Yukon, OK

#8 Feb 2, 2009
I would take South Padre,,or Ocean Springs , Miss if I had to do it again...Dharma is right though. I too grew up there and hate to see what has happened to it.

The brown haze over the city in the morning was alarming and it did smell bad where I lived on the island.

I gave my dog away ,, thankfully,,,, we crash landed here, our hotel had been closed and I spent last night in the u-Haul truck with my husband and daughter and today desperately searching for a room.... Exhausted
Dutchess

Yukon, OK

#9 Feb 2, 2009
I know you know I am NOT in Ocala,, man dont make me sick like that ,, I'd give anything to be in Ocala than here... It is my motels internet ...

El Paso

#10 Feb 2, 2009
The Brown Haze makes for an intense Sunset. Bright Red Sun. I find it pretty.. cough cough.. heh.

I lived in Gulf Port Mississippi, not far from Ocean Springs, and loved it.. but if I was too move out that way again, I would just go on over to Florida. No Income Tax there. Fort Walton Beach, but I am a TEXAN, and I want to see if I can find my little bit of paradise on the Texas Coast. I know Texas, I know how the system works here, so I want to try and stay in Texas. As for South Padre, I want to avoid the Border cities as I live in one now, and they are hard to live in... and I find myself frustrated with may of the things in a border city.

I am glad you found a place for your dog. The wife and I set the bed up in the back of our U-Haul when we moved back, and would sleep on it with the door open on the beach in Texas instead of a hotel, saved us money and it was very plesent. Finding Hotel rooms is hard. Good luck.
Mr Dynomite

Odessa, TX

#11 Feb 4, 2009
Im no fan of Corpus but it is 10 times better than El Paso.

El Paso

#12 Feb 4, 2009
San Marcos is nice too. Been there.
sunshine

Midland, TX

#13 Feb 5, 2009
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I was in El Paso for about 6 weeks. I am a Corpus native and I can't think of anywhere else I'd like to be (except in Heaven). The weather here is mostly hot and on occasion it gets cold it does'nt rain much but when it does its enough. The malls do need help but you don't need to speak spanish if you want to work. Don't get me wrong it's a plus. More money if you know. The beaches are clean but not right after big events like spring break. As soon as its over though the city is right out there cleaning up the mess. The sunrise is beautiful and the people are friendly. Like anywhere you have some bad apples but the good ones are far more common than the bad ones. Where ever you go its should'nt be about what the place has to offer, it is about what you have to offer it. We can only make the nieghborhood, the city, the state, the country , the world a better place but it starts with us. It starts with you and me.
Cen tex Maria

Odessa, TX

#14 Feb 5, 2009
sunshine wrote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I was in El Paso for about 6 weeks. I am a Corpus native and I can't think of anywhere else I'd like to be (except in Heaven). The weather here is mostly hot and on occasion it gets cold it does'nt rain much but when it does its enough. The malls do need help but you don't need to speak spanish if you want to work. Don't get me wrong it's a plus. More money if you know. The beaches are clean but not right after big events like spring break. As soon as its over though the city is right out there cleaning up the mess. The sunrise is beautiful and the people are friendly. Like anywhere you have some bad apples but the good ones are far more common than the bad ones. Where ever you go its should'nt be about what the place has to offer, it is about what you have to offer it. We can only make the nieghborhood, the city, the state, the country , the world a better place but it starts with us. It starts with you and me.
That was so beautiful and true. God Bless

“Go back the way you came”

Since: Oct 08

Metropolis

#15 Feb 5, 2009
Muhnay wrote:
I have been told that Corpus is just like EL Paso TX, but on the gulf coast. Is this true?
I find El Paso to be lacking in many areas, also in El Paso it is required to speak spanish to work here. People think 8 dollars an hour here is great pay. Does this sound like Corpus? I have heard people say Corpus is a trap, you cant escape.. El Paso has the same stigma. I was thinking of moving to Corpus, but if its just like El Paso.. I think I may pass.
Ever consider the Callallen/Annaville area?

El Paso

#16 Feb 5, 2009
invader, Yes I have. I consider the whole region there.. from Rockport to Callallen to Flour Bluff and everything between. As long as I can be close to the Gulf of Mexico and the beaches and water.. im good. Yes I want my kids to have a good education, and for them to be safe as well. So if any place in that region offers that, then it is considered.

Since: Jan 09

Corpus Christi, TX

#17 Feb 6, 2009
Gosh...everyone had such good points. I am so glad I got back into online posting- a few of my college classes were all online, and I miss the intense and well though t out discussions.

Muhnay,

You made good points about people needing to be objective. I feel like I need to make it perfectly clear that I am a real estate agent here....because I love the area and my job! Yes, even now with the down market. There is always an upside....prices are down, so that is great for buyers.

As far as the news goes, I also find it comforting that most of the top stories are bland...it is so much better than all of the violent ones.

Anyway, they moved the carousel about 20 feet in the mall, so it is still there! I thought you may want to know. Hopefully you will be coming soon to check everything out for yourself. It is so important to have your own perception of the city.

I just wanted to say Hi to invader. I also chose to settle in the Calallen area. My son just loves the school he is in!:)Of course, everyone needs to look into the schools for themselves.

Sunshine had some great points too. Poeple should see what they have to offer as well in order to determine if the area is a good fit for them.

And Dutchess, I am so happy that you found a home for your dog! Hopefully after you get over your crash landing, everything will fall into place.

I'll talk with ya'll later.
Packeryman

Corpus Christi, TX

#18 Feb 6, 2009
Corpus Christi is a great place if you are 65 and older. Your property taxes are frozen at 65 or if you are 65 and buy then the taxes will be frozen at market value at time of purchase. Proir to a small decrease in school tax our tax rate was $3.03 per hundred. The tax on a $200,000 home was $6060.00 per year. The county appraisal board raised my appraisal 10%(the max by law) every year for the last 10 years. I live on Padre Island and there is no fairness in the way properties in Corpus is appraised. We are in the city limits. I love the island and hardly ever leave it. It is an easy city to travel in-no congestion. Yes the city has a lot of crime, high drop out rate, high teen pregancy rate. I just never deal with the city. It has extreemly low wages, and very little union activity to ever increase wages. We are a right to work for less state. I would not come to Corpus unless you are 65, retired and have outside income because if you have to work for a living this is no place to be. All water sports and fishing is great. It is a friendly city, but the taxes and low wages kill all the goodness.
Susan

Borger, TX

#19 Feb 8, 2009
When I moved my family from Houston to Corpus in 1977, we moved into a "Beaver Cleaver" (Parkdale)neighborhood. Now when I visit I feel sad that the inner city seems so depressed. I will winter here in Ingleside as we have a fishing cabin and hope that Las
Brisas does not build the noxious pet coke power plant.
"This dirty plant will put out as much toxic pollution as all the refineries in Nueces County put together. That will pollute the air and water and cause harm to the people. The threat to the health of area school children is completely ignored by this Editorial board. The Toxic Schools report in USA Today shows how polluted the air at our local schools already is. Las Brisas will result in a 70% increase in industrial air pollution."
If you live here, please get involved: CleanEconomyCoaliti [email protected] com
susan IOB
tmac

Corpus Christi, TX

#20 Feb 9, 2009
Corpus Christi is a great city. You people are depressing and probably don't get out and enjoy what the city has to offer. It's not El Paso at all. It's a great place for young people as well. If you're good at what you do, you can find a job and quickly rise to the top.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corpus Christi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ISO of a pop up or bumper pull travel trailer 35 min camper 1
The Megaplex (Jun '12) 3 hr Curious 2,818
Poll What is the most annoying TV commercial in CC (Aug '09) 3 hr Well 32
Lowering property taxes? 3 hr Unbelieveable 4
Is Corpus Christi a safe town? (May '12) 4 hr Bill 37
Dont go to the megaplex. It's nothing but guys (Jun '15) 4 hr E1ote_man 20
Is there any real swinger party or facebook in ... 4 hr E1ote_man 9

Corpus Christi Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance