Escaped

Lake Charles, LA

#1 Aug 14, 2009
I grew up in Corning. I really spent most of my life there. My family is from there. I still come to visit now and again. There aren't as many familiar faces in town as there use to be. Looking at the posts on here it's nothing like it use to be. Yeah we had rich families and poor families but really everyone knew everyone else.

One of the business owners may walk around in fancy clothes but the guy in the dirty t-shirt worked on his car so they would wave and shoot the breeze when they saw each other in town.

All places have scandal I guess and people love to gossip about it. It's amplified in a small place. My family saw it's share of craziness and people made gossip about it then too.

Last time I drove through town I looked around at all the places that use to seem alive when I was younger. The old car wash looks like it went through an apocalypse. Leonards grocery is El Acapulco now. I bet no one even remembers what the old movie theatre was like, funny because it was pretty nice back when it was open.

It wasn't a bad place to grow up, but it's a better place to be from than in anymore. I don't say that meaning I think badly of the people in the town. Just how it seems so lifeless compared to how it was when I use to stomp there.
just a thought

Enterprise, AL

#2 Aug 14, 2009
Good post! i will have to agree this is true. i have been here all my life and things come and go, but one thing i am grateful for is we are not getting that second stop light put in! I hate the one we have, some of us just like small town life.
Joe Bob

Little Rock, AR

#3 Aug 14, 2009
You're right.....i'm almost 40 but i do remember the Sat. morning trips to town...the barbershop, the shoe store, the afternoon Godzilla matinee at the theater (lol), there was a clothing store with an upper balcony inside, the nice old lady who ran the other shoe store, there was a jewelry store, two drug stores, Cate's and i believe Morgan's, Rorex's grocery on front street, IGA grocery where Black's is now, and many many more stores. Mom would basically do all her shopping without leaving those two streets, now most of it is gone. I remember seeing all your friends at the theater on Sat. night and when i got a little older there was Fantasy Arcade. I remember the little mall inside Huddle Plaza even had a couple of businesses inside it. Now all the kids leave town, even at Walmart you can't get a lot of things you can at bigger Walmarts. Pretty sad!
Joe Bob

Little Rock, AR

#4 Aug 15, 2009
Oh yeah and who could forget the Ben Franklin on front street.....
Just a note

United States

#5 Aug 15, 2009
Joe Bob, you're telling your age if you remember the Ben Franklin. Most of the people on here aren't old enough to know where it was. My first job was there.
DONT

Daleville, AL

#6 Aug 15, 2009
Remember Gross cafe on front st.?
hmm

United States

#7 Aug 19, 2009
nothing is as simple anymore. life used to be so uncomplicated. everything was here for a good, quiet life.
in the know

Catlin, IL

#8 Aug 19, 2009
We all sound like our fathers and mothers when we were young, thinking, man these people are old. Oh no.
think

Daleville, AL

#9 Aug 19, 2009
what about the cafe in hop alley?
Remember

Enterprise, AL

#10 Aug 19, 2009
Crego's on front st...what ever happened to Kenny?
The old Pool hall...and they used to have a cab service.
pinky

Mountain Home, AR

#11 Aug 19, 2009
Joe Bob wrote:
You're right.....i'm almost 40 but i do remember the Sat. morning trips to town...the barbershop, the shoe store, the afternoon Godzilla matinee at the theater (lol), there was a clothing store with an upper balcony inside, the nice old lady who ran the other shoe store, there was a jewelry store, two drug stores, Cate's and i believe Morgan's, Rorex's grocery on front street, IGA grocery where Black's is now, and many many more stores. Mom would basically do all her shopping without leaving those two streets, now most of it is gone. I remember seeing all your friends at the theater on Sat. night and when i got a little older there was Fantasy Arcade. I remember the little mall inside Huddle Plaza even had a couple of businesses inside it. Now all the kids leave town, even at Walmart you can't get a lot of things you can at bigger Walmarts. Pretty sad!
Tezzie Smith... the nice old lady at the other shoe store. Remember Ann Hutchins at the theatre? Boy did we give her heck!! I remember well Ben Franklin's...Mrs. Beverly Shepard worked there for years. Do you remember Grabers Dept. store? Later I think called Rephan's...is that right? We do sound like a bunch of old folks reminiscing, although I'm only in my 40's. So really it hasn't been that long when Corning was SOO different. What in the world happened? I guess it is true that small town America is dying. Such a loss for generations to come!
arkansas plumbing co

Ruston, LA

#12 Aug 22, 2009
oh now you all are telling your age, next you will be talking about how ugly you got of the years. hahahahahahahah now lets see how old you really are, did you ever drink a purple cow at the purple cow, did you ever get to go inside or remember the smell of the pickle factory, on the way to dog and suds, out by spinks roller rink, i say you all are at the age of when the breaker drive inn was there and the marine station, do you remember when arnolds addition was just a muddy field, do you remember the houses being built. when west wood acres was just a spot on the way to datto curve, hitch hiking david hovis aka kokomoe and who nicknamed him that at the collins drive inn, dr hailey vet shop, neff fresh catfish under black river bridge. do you remember dr ratton pulling or filling your teeth with a cigarete in his mouth and smoke in his eyes, he would use one eye to work with and his finger were nothing but yellow and smell of smoke, man i miss them days. do you remember the weight scales for 18wheelers, where it was at, and not out by the state line, this was in town of corning, gas 21cents cigs 19cents, a dime for a loaf of bread, good fresh bread. ole al drillings owned ben franklens, i could go on and talk about out houses at grandpa house, picture pump on back porch dnt forget to prime it, and leave the handle up, so not to loose prime. good water too, dam good. officer snider, nick name snide, his wife a school teacher, remember swimming in the ditches after a rain in anyones ditch too, the old court house had the best and deepest ditches. how old was you when the old courthouse burned to the ground, how many brick did you clean up for a penny a brick after it burned. how about remembering when the train had a bomb on it and it was suppose to go off in little rock but the train had trouble and was stop out by the rice dryers and thats what saved the people and town of corning, it broke out every window in are house, and chimney fell to ground, and arnold addition sank in the ground in some places 5feet deep, blew big chunks of metal thru the town and houses, knock some houses off foundation, it stunted the rice dryers and im not making fun of the rice dryers because it save thousand of lives, the population was around 2200 back then. kccb 1260 am, corning arkansas bob cochran
newsflash

Cherry Valley, AR

#13 Aug 22, 2009
If you grew up in Corning
If you are over 45
You should remember these things
If not, you have major problems.
hang on

Ruston, LA

#14 Aug 23, 2009
newsflash, you need to respect your elders, or your going to have a major problem, i can tell your either a girl or young boy, your ass didnt get enuff spankings with a belt or switch by your parents. dont act tuff, your parents raised you as a sissy, and they did a good job cause i can see you are a sissy, what you should remember is always look around and behind you, cause one day you will need to get away from me, i will have fun that day, and you will grow up, but growing up dont cure stupid ass, you see what im saying, --shole, i got my eyes on you so be careful of who you just messed with, your on the roof, now jump

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Corning Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
natasha 21 min Natasha H 3
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 28 min Red Cloud 38,731
blacks in town (Jul '09) 11 hr cop 57
Eddie 12 hr Malone 1
Taco Bell 12 hr Malone 14
Who is this girl 13 hr Mrfingerintherear 1
Lumber 13 hr Truckdriverman 1

Corning Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance