What is the "serpent seed " doctrine ?

What is the "serpent seed " doctrine ?

Posted in the Cornersville Forum

searching

Lewisburg, TN

#1 Aug 22, 2007
I just recently came across this doctrine while studing Primitive Baptist.
Mike

Palm Desert, CA

#2 Dec 17, 2007
Check out this lecture:
http://biblestudymaterials.blogspot.com/2007/...

"Serpent seed" is a term for the belief that the Serpent in the garden had sexual intercourse with Eve, and that Cain was the offspring of the union. Proponents include William M. Branham [1] and Arnold Murray. Arnold Murray further believes that the descendants of Cain are the Kenites. In The Scofield Study Bible, Scofield says, "The serpent, in his Edenic form, is not to be thought of as a writhing reptile. That is the effect of the curse (Gen. 3:14). The creature which lent itself to Satan may well have been the most beautiful as it was the most "subtle" of creatures less than man".[2] Advocates suggest that modern Christian translations of the Old Testament reduce emphasis on this concept.

The serpent's seed, though not this specific belief, appears in Genesis 3:15, which in one translation states "And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel." Most Christians and Jews do not believe the serpent seed doctrine based on their understanding of Genesis 4:1 which states "And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bore Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD,". However, Rabbi David Max Eichhorn in his book Cain: Son of the Serpent traces way back through early Jewish Midrashic text and identifies hundreds of Rabbis who taught that Cain was the son of the union between the serpent and Eve.[3] This doctrine has been taught for thousands of years, with the exception of the mainstream Christian churches.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cornersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
For Rent In Marshall County (Oct '07) 20 hr Debbie Williams 108
bojangles Thu Land Shark 16
ASW Wrestling tonight (Feb '08) Sep 22 thereturn of some... 7
Sonic Sep 21 Highway 55 3
4 br 1 bath for rent Sep 20 Landlord 1
gas shortage Sep 19 thereturn of some... 5
Who is the best divorce lawyer in Marshall County (Apr '11) Sep 18 Tonto 30

Cornersville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance