Pedestrian Killed in North Mecklenbur...

Pedestrian Killed in North Mecklenburg: Man with 2 prior DWIs a...

There are 27 comments on the Charlotte.com story from Jul 15, 2007, titled Pedestrian Killed in North Mecklenburg: Man with 2 prior DWIs a.... In it, Charlotte.com reports that:

A man with two prior DWI convictions was arrested Sunday, accused of killing a pedestrian with a car in Cornelius, then driving away.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Charlotte.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
the DOT ---RAT

Gracewood, GA

#1 Jul 15, 2007
Petrone now faces charges of second-degree murder, driving while impaired, driving with a revoked license, plus felony hit and run, according to Cornelius police.

NOW WHY DIDN'T HE JUST STAY AT THE SCENE ?

drunken driver who has been convicted of DWI within the past seven years could face up to 19 years in prison for aggravated felony death if he kills someone in a crash.

THIS IS WHY...SO IF HE KNEW THIS ,THEN HE WASN'T THAT DRUNK.
Tom Rogers

San Angelo, TX

#2 Jul 16, 2007
DUI, DUI, and Dui with a kill.
So one life taken with a deadly weapon only cost 19 years.
My aunt was killed by young 3 time DUI offender, only she was his second or 3rd kill. He got off with a few years.
As long as Alcholic politicians and lawyers drive you will not see heavy penalties in this area of murder.(Ted Kennedy ring a bell?)
mamastu

San Antonio, TX

#3 Jul 16, 2007
Tom Rogers wrote:
DUI, DUI, and Dui with a kill.
So one life taken with a deadly weapon only cost 19 years.
My aunt was killed by young 3 time DUI offender, only she was his second or 3rd kill. He got off with a few years.
As long as Alcholic politicians and lawyers drive you will not see heavy penalties in this area of murder.(Ted Kennedy ring a bell?)
I am a friend of the family of the young man who was killed. There will not be ebough seats in the church for the sad people who loved Pats brothers, his mother and father... He was a good man. Just graduated from college , excited to come to your fair city of charlotte to start his adult life. To speculate on the perpetrator
's level of intoxication" is unthinkable. To speculate on the value of a human being's potential fo having been a contributing member of Cornelious/Charlottes community is more importantt. Having known him since hewas in 2nd grade, I can assure you Charlotte, you have missed never knowing what Patrick had to offer you. I am flying home to Virginia to be with my own sons who loved him and were walking home with Pat when it happened. Pete tells me the car was driving in excess of 80 miles an hour, which begs the question...if he was sober why was he driving so fast, and if then, why did he not stop. Shame on the firt poster. He is an embarrassment to your city.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#4 Jul 16, 2007
Petrone now faces charges of second-degree murder, driving while impaired, driving with a revoked license, plus felony hit and run, according to Cornelius police........
"" No where in this article does it say that they took his license from him...WHY ? I hope this doesn't mean they let him keep his license for his past convictions...this man needs to be hung from the highest tree for what he has done...for previous,and this new offense...murder is murder...if you drink...don't drive...!!!

Cpetr13

“Reality is better than truth”

Since: Jun 07

Indianapolis

#5 Jul 16, 2007
I rather imagine they haven't taken his license because he hasn't been convicted yet.
sandegold wrote:
Petrone now faces charges of second-degree murder, driving while impaired, driving with a revoked license, plus felony hit and run, according to Cornelius police........
"" No where in this article does it say that they took his license from him...WHY ? I hope this doesn't mean they let him keep his license for his past convictions...this man needs to be hung from the highest tree for what he has done...for previous,and this new offense...murder is murder...if you drink...don't drive...!!!
Friend_of_the_Fa mily

Springfield, VA

#6 Jul 16, 2007
One life taken, another ruined, several families devastated. This happened in Charlotte to someone that I knew. Where else are friends and relatives grieving over the same, senseless tragedy? WAKE UP - DRINKING AND DRIVING IS CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR! To everyone that has laughed-off a DUI/DWI conviction, ask Mr. Petrone how it feels to be an accused murderer.
Lara

Lewisville, TX

#7 Jul 16, 2007
Umm...he was charged with driving on a revoked, so clearly his license HAD been taken away.

The way to solve this is simple: On the second DUI, permament revocation of license and this is placed in his DMV file.

Too bad it'll never happen.
kathy neumann

Mississauga, Canada

#8 Jul 16, 2007
how sad, senseless and pathetic.....
Mister Beasley

Bedford, MA

#9 Jul 16, 2007
We need to get more preventative in our approach to people like this. First offense of DUI should be a year revocation, second offense is 5 years, 3 strikes and you're out. But the important thing is to make sure people don't drive without a license if it was pulled for DUI, regardless of whether they're drunk when caught without a license. For that, you've got to lock them up and teach them that we mean business.
Alex

Jacksonville, FL

#10 Jul 16, 2007
This guy should get life in prison.
Brandy

Omaha, NE

#11 Jul 16, 2007
How about on the FIRST DUI the license is taken away? Why give anyone who takes so many lives and puts them in danger another chance?
Dr J

Killeen, TX

#12 Jul 16, 2007
The laws should change, if you kill someone in a DWI case, it should be premeditated murder. Why premeditated, because the person was sober when he started to drink, got drunk, and drove. He knew he was drunk and decided to drive anyway, premeditation.
Skyler Cooper

Miami, FL

#13 Jul 16, 2007
Murder is murder... Patrone has crippled the lives of many people in Fauquier County. Im devistated for Eric (pat's younger brother) and his family.
As far as Patrick Gay... I only hope to be the big brother you were to Eric. You are an ispiration to our community!...

Cpetr13

“Reality is better than truth”

Since: Jun 07

Indianapolis

#14 Jul 17, 2007
That would be premeditated drinking, not murder. We don't need ot make the laws any more oppressive than they are, thanks.
Dr J wrote:
The laws should change, if you kill someone in a DWI case, it should be premeditated murder. Why premeditated, because the person was sober when he started to drink, got drunk, and drove. He knew he was drunk and decided to drive anyway, premeditation.
Ashley

Salem, NJ

#15 Jul 18, 2007
I went to school with Pat and to think at what a great head start on life he would have had and to have it end like this because of someones bad decision to drive drunk. I think he should get life in prison for taking Pats life away from him. My sympathy goes out to Pats family and know that this Friday there will not be an empty seat in the church!
Read before you comment

Omaha, NE

#16 Jul 18, 2007
Cpetr13 wrote:
I rather imagine they haven't taken his license because he hasn't been convicted yet.
<quoted text>
First of all yes he has not been convicted for this crime yet. However was convicted of the previous DUIs and one of the charges against him in this case is that was driving with a revoked liscence. This man had no business being behind the wheel drunk or sober he was committing a crime. Where is the wreckless driving charge on top of all of the others for his speed? Anthony Patrone made a conscious chioce to drive without a liscence, to do so drunk and he killed another human being without even stopping. I hope he recieves the full scentence and is found guilty of all charges>
mike

Partlow, VA

#17 Jul 18, 2007
So this man was so blatantly a detriment to our society, why not lock him up for good? He took away an amazing kid who was loved and reverred (seriously, he had every new entrant to JMU knowing who Pat was within weeks) by everyone. I am a very good friend of the family and have known Pat for 12 years. The man who ended Pat's life deserves the same. Also, torture should be involved.
Wilson

Warrenton, VA

#18 Jul 18, 2007
My brother and I have known the Gay family since I was about 8 years old and he was about 10. They have been my neighbors for 10 years. If it were not for them, our neighborhood would not be as nearly great as it is. I still remember Patrick, Eric, and Chris coming over to our house having dunk contests and playing football. My brother broke his leg into two places when he was 11 and Pat, who was my brother's best friend (basically) at the time, visited him all of the time. I have so many stories about Pat which will make you laugh every time. This year, at JMU, I hung out with Pat a lot and never would have imagined this happening to him. He was a great friend and, as a post before stated, losing him HAS crippled our community. I, for one, will miss him greatly and miss his friendly wave and smile every time I leave the neighborhood. I believe this Petrone guy didn't mean to do this but he took Pat's life away from him in his prime. His life needs to be taken as well. Whether it be the death penalty, personal vendetta, or life in prison. Anything short of these three actions is an insult. Miss ya Pat and everyone else who has ever been graced with your presence does too. You were truly loved and will continue to be loved by your friends and family.
SSS Cville Va

Centreville, VA

#19 Jul 20, 2007
sandegold wrote:
Petrone now faces charges of "" No where in this article does it say that they took his license from him...
"Revoked License" means they took his license after one of the prior convictions. And, he probably can't register a car either. So, he was driving a "friend's car" which means the car owner could be/should be held liable, too. Generally, you are legally responsible for illegal acts committed with your car if you gave permission to drive it. It will be interesting to see how that plays out because the guy with the new Cadiallac probably has money. Certainly a waiter a small bar-restaurant in Cornelius can't afford a Caddy.
SSS Cville Va

Centreville, VA

#20 Jul 20, 2007
BTW, NC has a Dram Shop law - so where was Petrone drinking, anyway? If it was at his place of employment, they have a really big problem because they very likely knew he had prior DUI convictions.(If they did any sort of background check on him at all.) Let's hope the prosecutor charges all the negligent parties involved...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cornelius Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Loud Boom heard at 10:00 pm (Nov '08) Dec 5 VIKTOR EGOV 19
News Gaston County planning new school in Belmont Up... Nov 19 Shea Shires 1
BEWARE OF These INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS (Jan '15) Sep '16 Randy Thomas 6
News Ramsey Creek Beach gets mixed reviews after fir... Sep '16 LakeNormanMike 1
luter Jun '16 luter 1
News Work to begin Monday on controversial I-77 toll... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Chbarclay 1
News Anchors aweigh: Marina has plan for restaurant ... (Apr '10) Jul '15 Boogieman 46

Cornelius Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cornelius Mortgages